Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Christ almighty AI has some good people. Awesome weekend and glad to have you buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

Christ almighty AI has some good people. Awesome weekend and glad to have you buddy.

a thousand times this

sharkytm posted:

I'd be down for next weekend if the weather holds. My wife's got a concert in Brockton, so I'm free.

The Denali looks like a possibility, I drove through New Roach on the way down to DE. I came back via I-78, so no NYC.

Trip total: 1582 miles over 5 days, but Friday/Saturday were only from WV to RVA, and Sunday was very few miles (aside from the tow). Burned 3 tanks of fuel, but at sub-$2 pricing in VA, I'm not too bothered by the fuel cost. 15MPG towing the 8000# trailer+van, 18.5 on the trip average.

Fish: I'll pull together the expenses.

I love youuuuuu <3 and yes please let me know how many :10bux: I owe you :v:

I owe you so much beer already and if you help ken pull an engine/trans I'll owe you even more :v:

That denali actually doesn't sound like a terrible idea but it's up to ole' spacesloth up there as to whether he wants another lovely GM product in his yard for the duration.
Also who the hell would actually buy that and drive it down to VA? (Ozmiander?)

At least you could put a 50 gal. drum of water in the bed for the lossy cooling system :v:

I'd be willing to bet that motor's suffering from a turbofucked head gasket too.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 19, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

literally a fish posted:

it's up to ole' spacesloth up there as to whether he wants another lovely GM product in his yard for the duration.

I'm at my limit of broken cars for the time being. Let's try to source an engine, not an entire car.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Wrar and I are free in two weeks if you want more doge, donunts, and labor for vannanigans.

That would be the first weekend of February, just to be clear.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

I'm at my limit of broken cars for the time being. Let's try to source an engine, not an entire car.

These were my thoughts also, I am glad we agree :sun:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Wrar and I are free in two weeks if you want more doge, donunts, and labor for vannanigans.

That would be the first weekend of February, just to be clear.

iForge and I were planning on taking the engine out this weekend, but SNOWPOCALYPSE may be happening and he may not make it down. If he doesn't make it, we'll have plenty to do! If he does, I can't guarantee I'll have any work but y'all are welcome to poke and prod.

literally a fish posted:

These were my thoughts also, I am glad we agree :sun:

:peanut:

Edit: If we had a VERY short and concise and well-planned timeline, we could use the lift to pull an engine from a truck, but I'd want it out of there the weekend it comes over.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 19, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Adiabatic, I just had the country rezone your property as a salvage yard. Seibert's will start transferring their yard contents today during business hours. Hope that's OK, bye. :bigtran:

In all seriousness, even though it's possibly a better deal, the Denali is only an option if someone else local has a place for it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sharkytm posted:

In all seriousness, even though it's possibly a better deal, the Denali is only an option if someone else local has a place for it.

When you're done grabbing parts from it, just put it in his back yard and it'll disappear on it's own.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Sharky proving once again he is a better dude than me. :negative:

Adiabatic posted:

Edit: If we had a VERY short and concise and well-planned timeline, we could use the lift to pull an engine from a truck, but I'd want it out of there the weekend it comes over.

If you have impact wrenches and don't give a poo poo about broken bolts it might work out well. Otherwise I'd count on Car Cancer(TM) slowing things down quite a bit on an old beast like that.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I like the fact that you're contemplating buying a car to replace the motor that has a toasted head gasket, and the donor car has the same symptoms and may also have a toasted head gasket :psyduck:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We don't know that. The sellers ad is pretty unclear on what's wrong, it could be something as simple as a rotted out radiator, bad hose, or blown heater core.

e: but yeah, I wouldn't want it hanging around my yard either.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 19, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Yeah but with that risk present on top of all the other issues, it sounds like a bad call.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

You just blew my mind, I always thought the Astro had a full S10 chassis underneath.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The Astro vans were body-on-frame, but the engine and front suspension did come out on a subframe.

gently caress, you're right. I mis-remembered. It was a kind of hybrid deal.
The subframe makes it relatively simple to slip a V8 in, by the way. Apparently Camaro headers fit.

VikingSkull posted:

I always loved those books, they were peak 80's. Also the way the ships looked was fantastic, I thought, because it wraps back to painting them crazy as gently caress. We're in space, my sensors are advanced, and I'm engaging from kilometers away. gently caress it, bumblebee stripes.

That would be Chris' Foss' art, I think. He loved those bold paint jobs (I did, too.)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Are you in the Jonas zone? :ohdear:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Bucephalus posted:

Are you in the Jonas zone? :ohdear:

I honestly don't know what that is :v:

At this point we're basically waiting on replacement powertrain procurement courtesy of Kastein. There might be some movement on that front this weekend, depending on snow.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

literally a fish posted:

At this point we're basically waiting on replacement powertrain procurement courtesy of Kastein. There might be some movement on that front this weekend, depending on snow.

Jonas is the name for the blizzard bending over the mid-Atlantic right about now.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

literally a fish posted:

Yeah sorry, that was directed at Adiabatic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Jonas is the name for the blizzard bending over the mid-Atlantic right about now.

Blizzards don't have names, despite what the Weather Channel wants you to believe. :colbert:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Blizzards don't have names, despite what the Weather Channel wants you to believe. :colbert:

Agreed, gently caress the Weather Channel.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, this drives me nuts. Next thing you know they'll be trying to name thunderstorms.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Clouds...

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Jonas is a snowstorm sent by THE LORD YOUR GOD TO PUNISH US FOR OUR HERESY.

BLESSED IS THE MIND TO SMALL FOR DOUBT

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You mean the totally made up, bullshit name given to the storm by The Weather Channel?

Yeah, let's let that decide our fate.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, let's let that decide our fate.

I saw a cloud earlier that looked exactly like a supercharged LS3 so.....

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
We get storms as bad as your biblical snowfall at least three times a winter in Ontario. Except this winter. This one is weird and has everyone on edge because we haven't had a proper snowfucking yet.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

8ender posted:

everyone on edge because we haven't had a proper snowfucking yet.

An actuall category on FetLife

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

8ender posted:

We get storms as bad as your biblical snowfall at least three times a winter in Ontario. Except this winter. This one is weird and has everyone on edge because we haven't had a proper snowfucking yet.

I used to live in Michigan and have the wifeys Jeep to plow around in, so Ive been having a bunch of fun pulling clueless yuppies out of snow berms :getin:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I did that in my old ranger, and in the old truck. It was so much fun... Drag them out, disconnect the chain, "have a good day, drive safely" and boogie. They always expected me to hit them up for money.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

So what's going on with the vantasy?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
WE NEED MORE POWER, MR. SCOTT!

Waiting on the weather to ease up a bit (and a Jeep to be fixed or a SharkyTM to be plied with beer) so an engine can be obtained by our lord and savior Kastein.

This is the boring part, boo hiss. It's all winter's fault.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah basically aint nothin' happening till we find a way to haul a drivetrain around. I saw a 5.7/4L60e/np243 with all the goodies for sale for 700 like 30mi from sharky, but it's from a 97 and I wasn't sure it'd be worth grabbing, since that is about 300 too much and it's already pulled so we don't know what the donor had wrong with it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

kastein posted:

Yeah basically aint nothin' happening till we find a way to haul a drivetrain around. I saw a 5.7/4L60e/np243 with all the goodies for sale for 700 like 30mi from sharky, but it's from a 97 and I wasn't sure it'd be worth grabbing, since that is about 300 too much and it's already pulled so we don't know what the donor had wrong with it.

Jesus Christ, I wish SBC's/LSx's were that cheap here.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus Christ, I wish SBC's/LSx's were that cheap here.

If it's a '97 5.7, it's an L31 anyway. LSx's are probably a bit more valuable, although Kastein can get 'em for cheap anyway. I'm a bit envious, myself.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My schedule is very flexible, just need the powertrain to be the right cost and a reasonable distance from Ken's.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Let's get a date set up to finish pulling the old motor and trans yeah?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
UNDERWHELMING VAN UPDATE:

Still waiting for it to stop snowing in Mass. so Ken and Sharky can be awesome humans and acquire a powertrain.

Cory should probably arrange a time with Wes to finish pulling the old poo poo.

SO PRETTY MUCH there isn't an update really

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Still excited!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It has stopped snowing but may do so again this week.

Also you narrowly dodged a bullet, the GF and I went to look at a maroon woodside grand wagoneer* for 1200 bucks and it would have needed an LM7 immediately, but it was far too rotten to be anything but a parts donor or ten year resto project in a nice enclosed shop I don't have.

* would have looked great next to her maroon woodside roadmaster :v:

I will have to do some vortec scouting next weekend.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kastein posted:

It has stopped snowing but may do so again this week.

Also you narrowly dodged a bullet, the GF and I went to look at a maroon woodside grand wagoneer* for 1200 bucks and it would have needed an LM7 immediately, but it was far too rotten to be anything but a parts donor or ten year resto project in a nice enclosed shop I don't have.

* would have looked great next to her maroon woodside roadmaster :v:

I will have to do some vortec scouting next weekend.

Ah, the woody. The guaranteed way to make any lame old car amazing in every way.

I won't pretend I didn't have a fantasy about stuffing an absurd 2.2 or 2.5 turbo motor inside an 80's Town and Country or Caravan, then go embarrass the local townsfolk at the drag strip as "Grandpa" shows them The Art of Forced Induction.

Edit: I'm still okay with the thought of a single-turbo 5.3 stressing the suspension and transmission of the van. Like the VW Bus with the 911 engine, the cops wouldn't believe you could do it anyways.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

YOU MUST ACQUIRE ADDITIONAL VORTECS

• Locked thread