Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
On the subject of things that can do surprising amounts of damage: Ugly Things, especially if they have an attack you don't have a resist for yet. They can easily drop like 25-30 damage in a swing on you with low GDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fhqwhgads posted:

I got the amulet of harm for the first time earlier on a blaster. Does the 25% bonus apply to spells that are at the power cap?

Yes.

rj54x posted:

+Komodo Dragons - thank god for the rcfile setting that prevents tabbing below a certain health threshhold, because there have been so many times I've curbstomped 5 or six of the little buggers only to have a particularly lucky one whoop my rear end.

They're so much more fun after they lost their old sickness bite, because it meant people finally noticed that they're terrifying glass cannons. Huge damage to defense ratio.

Hydras [especially lerny] and ettins also fall into this category. Fun monsters, all...

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've never thought of Komodo dragons as glass cannons. They cause a lot of damage and even against strong melee characters can take some punishment so for me they've always been something to take on alone, prefereably with some buff or opening with a net or something.

Hydra are sure as hell not glass cannons at any level.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 19, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I've always thought of komodo dragons as death yaks that aren't in a pack. They don't seem particularly glass to me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Carcer posted:

They kinda are!

HP 39-104
AC 0
EV 5
Attack 18 *4-8(or more)

If you have any damage wands(/decent throwing) or are at all tanky they fall very easily, but if you're not tanky they'll shred you up at close range. That sounds a lot like a glass cannon to me.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

i find that setting the autofight tab stop to something really high like 70% helps you not get bored clearing out popcorn while still being safe against some unlucky rolls

I think this is one of the biggest pieces of advice I would give to new players - set autofight to 65 or 70, and run away if you hit it.

They really ought to change the default for this because it's comically low.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

They kinda are!

HP 39-104
AC 0
EV 5
Attack 18 *4-8(or more)

If you have any damage wands(/decent throwing) or are at all tanky they fall very easily, but if you're not tanky they'll shred you up at close range. That sounds a lot like a glass cannon to me.

That hp range is kinda ridiculous. Even if the curve is heavily weighted 39-104 potential hp seems silly.

I guess this is why they are sometimes complete bastards that refuse to die and other times they crumple after two hits. I knew enemies had variable hp but I didn't think it was that swingy.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PleasingFungus posted:

Yes.

They're so much more fun after they lost their old sickness bite, because it meant people finally noticed that they're terrifying glass cannons. Huge damage to defense ratio.

Hydras [especially lerny] and ettins also fall into this category. Fun monsters, all...

Ha, I almost forgot about sickness as a mechanic. Random stat drops, non-HP regen... lots of fun!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Ha, I almost forgot about sickness as a mechanic. Random stat drops, non-HP regen... lots of fun!

Take a trip to the Abyss and visit it! It gets lonely every once in a while, you know.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darox posted:

That hp range is kinda ridiculous. Even if the curve is heavily weighted 39-104 potential hp seems silly.

I guess this is why they are sometimes complete bastards that refuse to die and other times they crumple after two hits. I knew enemies had variable hp but I didn't think it was that swingy.
It's roughly that swingy for everything, too! Orc priests can have anywhere from 9 HP all the way up to 21. Not even double digits on one end to a bit over 20 on the other.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You don't venture into the Abyss often then. The ancient zyme has that mechanic, increasing the duration the more you stay in it's Line of Sight. It is a Good Enemy.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sage Grimm posted:

You don't venture into the Abyss often then. The ancient zyme has that mechanic, increasing the duration the more you stay in it's Line of Sight. It is a Good Enemy.

I haven't been banished in a while and by the time I usually pop in on my own I am in the position to murder most things quickly. I honestly forgot zymes had a sickness attack because I was too busy worrying about wretched stars and Neqoxecs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
To be fair I think all other sources of sickness have been falling away over the years. Even Haunt doesn't have the chance for sickness on it for 0.17!

Rot has sort of taken over its job.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
"I'm not gonna play anymore Demonspawn for a while," I tell myself; I am tired of splatting them. "...well, maybe just one last one. I'll try an Ice Elementalist this time."

Now I have an amulet of magic regeneration, the magic/health pooling demonspawn facet, thin skeletal structure, a great set of purely positive mutations, Ensorceled Hibernation, and a randart rapier of speed. This is the hybridiest character I've ever played and it is strong in every aspect.

The RNG is saving a truly demoralizing death for me :negative:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

"I'm not gonna play anymore Demonspawn for a while," I tell myself; I am tired of splatting them. "...well, maybe just one last one. I'll try an Ice Elementalist this time."

Now I have an amulet of magic regeneration, the magic/health pooling demonspawn facet, thin skeletal structure, a great set of purely positive mutations, Ensorceled Hibernation, and a randart rapier of speed. This is the hybridiest character I've ever played and it is strong in every aspect.

Ghost moth, in the Spider rune vault, with the pair of emperor scorpions.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I've been having bad luck recently getting a Formicid caster off the ground, then had a series of failed Demonspawn Gladiators of Makhleb. (pretty amazing god for demonspawn by the way)

So, I've gotten slightly annoyed at my failures and want a simple win, so back to Minotaur Fighter I went. A few months ago, I commented in here that I had never worshipped Ru, and I was a bit worried that it would not be worthwhile. But I figured I'd try it with this guy, and holy good god I was so wrong. So much damage mitigation for a defensive fighter. The active abilities have also saved my life twice, the first in orc where I ran out of escapes with a large pack of higher level orcs in view. (Apocalypse killed them all) And the second time so far where I was banished to the Abyss in Elf, stayed there for a bit, finally found the exit, but exited at 11 hp next to a bunch of Deep elf annihilators (draw out saved me).

So, I'm posting this for recommendations, but I honestly feel if I play carefully I should have no problem finishing Vault/Depths/Crypt. Any recommendations, I'm missing rMut and rCorrosion, pretty much every other resist ring under the sun though. My options of amulet are a bit poor, clarity/gourmet/guardian spirit are my options. I like the guardian spirit, but just finished Shoals, so clarity is equipped.

Sacrifices were, Words, Drink, -3 AC, Love, Skill, Stealth.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 19, 2016

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

Those characters who really become super-hybrids are so much fun. The defenses, the offenses, the melee damage, the spell-slinging. They feel so drat strong.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Darox posted:

It's really not - that range would be misleading if it was right, which it's not - it's just wrong. The actual range is 29-59, and 90% of the time, their actual HP is going to be somewhere between 40 and 48. Something like this:

Combat swinginess is much more about damage and accuracy rolls than HP rolls.

...actually, where is that 39-104 number coming from? The knowledge bots claim 36-57...

e: ^ I'm an idiot, see below

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 19, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Carcer posted:

I've never thought of Komodo dragons as glass cannons. They cause a lot of damage and even against strong melee characters can take some punishment so for me they've always been something to take on alone, prefereably with some buff or opening with a net or something.

Elephants have, on average, 68 HP; death yaks have 77; komodos have 44. For comparison, yaks have ~40 HP, and their attack does max 18 damage. Komodos do 34, more than death yaks and considerably more than elephants. (AC/EV for all of those are roughly similar.)

Komodos are seriously overgunned for their weight class. Hydras are even moreso, though.They do something like (5-8) * 18 damage, which is gonna really sting. Their defenses are something else, though: avg. 72 HP, 5 EV, and zero AC.

Glass cannon: great offense, but absolutely no defense!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

PleasingFungus posted:

...actually, where is that 39-104 number coming from? The knowledge bots claim 36-57...
Why, the most reliable of sources of course: the Wiki!

PleasingFungus posted:

Hydras are even moreso, though.They do something like (5-8) * 18 damage, which is gonna really sting. Their defenses are something else, though: avg. 72 HP, 5 EV, and zero AC.

I would say that the Zero AC doesn't matter for much if the person fighting is stuck with a non-flaming slicing weapon. I mean, other then all the other options of get away and blasting with wands though.

Still hard to think of Hydras as a glass cannon though.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 19, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

World Famous W posted:

Why, the most reliable of sources of course: the Wiki!

oh, I'm illiterate. for some reason I thought he was talking about komodos.

the actual range there is 48-96, practical range is 64-79. wiki is probably roughly right (but still very misleading) for earlier versions.

e: also my post was repeating the exact same things he said... wow, I'm really good at posting right now.

World Famous W posted:

I would say that the Zero AC doesn't matter for much if the person fighting is stuck with a non-flaming slicing weapon.

the trick is: don't do that

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 19, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dee Ehm posted:

Those characters who really become super-hybrids are so much fun. The defenses, the offenses, the melee damage, the spell-slinging. They feel so drat strong.

I'm having that experience, except when I get hit by a few lovely fire attacks and my Ozo's and ice sheath both melt, leaving me with 10 AC instead of 29 :stonk:

On the bright side, freezing cloud immunity on a Vehumite casting Freezing Cloud is goddamn hilarious. Also, I have the rank 3 MR+ mutation :unsmigghh:

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

Elephants have, on average, 68 HP; death yaks have 77; komodos have 44. For comparison, yaks have ~40 HP, and their attack does max 18 damage. Komodos do 34, more than death yaks and considerably more than elephants. (AC/EV for all of those are roughly similar.)

Komodos are seriously overgunned for their weight class. Hydras are even moreso, though.They do something like (5-8) * 18 damage, which is gonna really sting. Their defenses are something else, though: avg. 72 HP, 5 EV, and zero AC.

I don't think the determination of glass cannon is fair for hydras. 75 HP, strong MR and rPois means they don't go down easily to most of your problem removal tools. They still take a few turns to whittle down, and you don't have a few turns when next to a hydra.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah, while they may not have much in terms of defence they're still fairly resilient in terms of HP, at least when you encounter them early. I wouldn't call having no defence but being able to take a fair bit of damage glass cannon-like.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Dee Ehm posted:

I don't think the determination of glass cannon is fair for hydras. 75 HP, strong MR and rPois means they don't go down easily to most of your problem removal tools. They still take a few turns to whittle down, and you don't have a few turns when next to a hydra.

Which is why you zap a beam wand three times.

They're certainly nastier in both defense & offense than most things you encounter in early lair, but they're more fragile than late lair threats while still being considerably more damaging. In Swamp, this is only more true. (It's also very obvious if you try using Summon Hydra.)

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

PleasingFungus posted:

Which is why you zap a beam wand three times.

They're certainly nastier in both defense & offense than most things you encounter in early lair, but they're more fragile than late lair threats while still being considerably more damaging. In Swamp, this is only more true. (It's also very obvious if you try using Summon Hydra.)

Realistically yeah, you use wand of fire/cold/draining since even with 0 evocations you're going to leave the hydra at very low HP or dead unless your wand has very little charges.

I definitely consider hydras the most dangerous enemy in Lair; even the nastiest of lair enemies you can funnel through a choke point or fight using a killhole without much thought, and I know that's saying a lot considering there's death yaks, dragons and catoblepas and other unique Lair:8 enemies. Hydras OTOH I wouldn't engage in melee even 1v1, it's just too early for the vast majority of characters to do that, though depending on your defenses and their head count you could get away with it. There's also the fact they appear as early as Lair:1 :v:

I think Hydras are a cool enemy though, they fit pretty well for that stage of the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If I have decent defenses as a character with a trident or M&F I'll absolutely melee hydras. With AC I'm more scared of death yaks, even 1v1.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
the nastiest common lair enemy is probably black mamba, with spiny frogs a respectable second.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I just had my first game running with Okawaru and man he really sets you up with the hookup.

And then all your cool god gifts get corroded in the spider vault and you die. Oh well!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PleasingFungus posted:

the nastiest common lair enemy is probably black mamba, with spiny frogs a respectable second.

I contend that spiny frogs are more deadly because black mambas are at least obviously dangerous whereas with spinies it's more "oh hey a cute yellow frog wait where did all my hp go".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just faced down my toughest foe yet: a kobold wearing chaimail on D:1. :wtc:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

I contend that spiny frogs are more deadly because black mambas are at least obviously dangerous whereas with spinies it's more "oh hey a cute yellow frog wait where did all my hp go".

I'd say they are about equal myself. I still have a particular dislike of blink frogs though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

McGavin posted:

I just faced down my toughest foe yet: a kobold wearing chaimail on D:1. :wtc:
In an older version I fought a lone goblin who just would not go down, until I finally killed him and he dropped the +9 armour of the Dragon King

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

In an older version I fought a lone goblin who just would not go down, until I finally killed him and he dropped the +9 armour of the Dragon King

once upon a time, monsters that could use weapons or wear armor would pick up weapons/armor off the floor if it looked better than what they had. This led to lots of shuttling good/dangerous items to already cleared floors or to branch entrances, so that random spawns wouldn't suddenly be kitted out in all the most dangerous loot from (dead) enemies on the floor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I never bothered besides distortion weapons to be honest

Nique
May 18, 2006

I did it. I got a 15 rune ascension, I feel good.

code:
14600149 legs the Grand Master (level 27, 219/219 HPs)
             Began as an Octopode Monk on Jan 5, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Jan 20, 2016!

The game lasted 12:38:14 (109566 turns).
http://pastebin.com/SRpC50rL

At the point I took on hells/pan/tomb it was just ... so easy. O-tabbing statue that used glaciate to clear out crowds. I got dragon form but rarely used it, the safety of Statue was too much to pass up for slightly more (and totally unnecessary) damage.

I feel like I didn't find any equipment that good, just carried by chei-things.

code:
the amulet "Eruenoze" (around mantle) {Dismiss rC+ Dex+6}
This was the best amulet i found and despite looking somewhat forgettable having dismiss on it really helped in a few rough moments, it's normally an intrinsic I would overlook totally. One less monster is sometimes all you need to make a scary situation a manageable one.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
The Abyss is such a stupid loving mechanic. Play as carefully as you want and the game can still decide to poo poo on you by throwing an orc with a dagger of distortion at you.

It's an instant death sentence early-mid game unless you get REALLY lucky and find a portal out, and having a random chance of just losing your run to a single successful banishment spell/distortion brand hit seems really terrible to me.

Why can Abyss:1 have Wretched Stars, and T1-2 demons? Like, c'mon now.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 20, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Abyss and banishment are pretty cool mechanics from the late midgame onwards but really loving suck in the early game, and banishment via distortion brands is cool when you're using it but really loving sucks when you fall victim to it (especially in the early game).

IMO strip banishment from the earlier monsters capable of casting it (for instance, Erolcha) and remove it from the distortion brand's base effects, then make Lugonu worshipers able to cause random banishment when striking with a weapon of distortion.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just got my first Qazlal worshipper down into the Orcish Mines. I had ***** piety, and also Berserkitis 2. It was sublime. Just an insane whirlwind of blood, explosions and emergency snacks until I got banished by a volcano dwelling ogre mage and some Abyss dweller evicted me from life for making too much of a racket. Qazlal best god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Mystery Prize posted:

Why can Abyss:1 have Wretched Stars, and T1-2 demons? Like, c'mon now.

I think the biggest "gently caress you" is having thrashing horrors, those will tear you apart and not even spriggans can outrun them. Their AI seems kinda "batty" but as soon as they lock on to you you're pretty much dead unless you're the teleporting the moment you see them. They're not that tanky though so you can usually fight them if you're somewhere before/after Lair when banishment happens.

• Locked thread