Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Lareine posted:

I keep being hit with the "Need unrotten dye item" bug. How are you supposed to fix that? Forbid barrels?

I just ordered my main food stockpile to forbid milled plant so they get left in the quern/mill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah it seems that bags behave more like buckets in how they're emptied into barrels instead of the bags sitting in there. Of course, that plays havoc with the ancient jobs that have some pretty fixed and specific prequisites for their goods. Anything that involves bags in its storage should be kept away from storage vessels.

I'm still miffed that you have to whip up a custom reaction if you want to set jewels into weapons and armor.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

scamtank posted:

I'm still miffed that you have to whip up a custom reaction if you want to set jewels into weapons and armor.

I don't understand why this isn't a thing. The goblins are constantly laying siege all blinged out, but I can't coat my champion in gems.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

scamtank posted:

Yeah it seems that bags behave more like buckets in how they're emptied into barrels instead of the bags sitting in there. Of course, that plays havoc with the ancient jobs that have some pretty fixed and specific prequisites for their goods. Anything that involves bags in its storage should be kept away from storage vessels.

If you embed enough diamonds into a wooden training sword does it become a macuahuitl ?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Obsidian is already a thing, isn't it? wouldn't take Toady that long to program for that. Or for a leiomano (Hawaiian shark teeth sword) in shoreline biomes.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 18, 2016

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, I'm pretty sure 'stone swords' have been a thing in DF for ages and ages, but tooth swords would be nice I guess.

The relative dearth of encrusting and decorating options is a little amusing; if I had the option, I'd have fortresses whose entire purpose was a massive, unending pipeline to gild the lily on furniture production until everything looked like a knock-off artifact.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
as I recall you used to be able to make swords with obsidian and wood but that is no longer the case?

Edit: No apparently you can still combine obsidian and wood at a craftsdwarf shoppe

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 'stone swords' have been a thing in DF for ages and ages, but tooth swords would be nice I guess.

The relative dearth of encrusting and decorating options is a little amusing; if I had the option, I'd have fortresses whose entire purpose was a massive, unending pipeline to gild the lily on furniture production until everything looked like a knock-off artifact.

This is how my forts operate. Masterwork furniture in jeweling/studding stockpiles, smash the unworthy. Jewel/stud on repeat. Gotta smelt up all those oddball decorative alloys so the metalsmith can keep layering on more and more decorations.

Mil dwarves really appreciate when the danger room is nicely etched and stuffed full of masterwork statues studded and jeweled and studded and jeweled and studded and jeweled and studded and jeweled.

I save the good stuff for angry dwarves or public spaces: nobles can get hosed. A weapon trap stuffed full of masterwork trap components will shut them up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
First new version fort is getting going. I settled on a sinister mountain with a mirthful savannah. It rains rotten sludge that induces despair in dwarves but on the plus side their skin doesn't melt off or anything. Also get Rhinos and Giraffes that wander onto the map. Project War Rhinos is a go :getin:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Is now the time to re-download this and give it another swing after a couple years of hiatus? or are there plans to eliminate any military-crippling, dwarf-murdering bugs in the next couple months?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is now the time to re-download this and give it another swing after a couple years of hiatus? or are there plans to eliminate any military-crippling, dwarf-murdering bugs in the next couple months?

We are still firmly in the "Bug-Fix" portion of the cycle.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
It would be great if people would actually skim the thread or, heaven forbid, read it, so we don't get five "shud i download lol" posts per page.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

packetmantis posted:

It would be great if people would actually skim the thread or, heaven forbid, read it, so we don't get five "shud i download lol" posts per page.

I read & in fact post in this thread, chief. I'm asking how likely it is that Toady will be releasing new versions with significant fixes soon. God forbid somebody ask a question about DF in the DF thread!

reignofevil posted:

We are still firmly in the "Bug-Fix" portion of the cycle.

Thanks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Expecting someone to click next page 325 times, much less read anything on those pages, is a pretty silly demand when they could just spend 5 seconds asking and someone else could just spend 10 seconds answering instead

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

In fact, at the end of last page, a new version was released, so "is it worth getting the new version or are things pretty buggy" would be a perfectly reasonable question from someone who had been following the whole thread, too

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The most truthful answer is probably that there's a pile of niggling little things, but it's better than the previous version's different pile of other niggling little things. In any case, we're pretty well out of the "crashes and save corruption" territory by now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I figured out what was going on re: my earlier issues of not being able to scroll through the map - I was just dumb and didn't notice that mouse zooming hosed with where your camera position was displayed on the minimap. I've also learned to cope with having the mouse enabled because I couldn't be arsed to figure out how to turn it off in dfhack (clicking it in the LNP window did not help).

Time to go start losing some forts. If my start is any indication, I don't plan to make it through the first winter in my first like ten forts :sun:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Dumb newbie here. I just got a couple hours into my first fort ever before realizing that there isn't a single water source anywhere on the map. :downs: Should I restart, or should I try digging into a cavern to see if there's water there before I inevitably get murdered by giant cave spiders?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Luneshot posted:

Dumb newbie here. I just got a couple hours into my first fort ever before realizing that there isn't a single water source anywhere on the map. :downs: Should I restart, or should I try digging into a cavern to see if there's water there before I inevitably get murdered by giant cave spiders?

you might not need water just try growing plump helmets and such and turn them into Wine. then you can try the underground water thing if you really need it and when you have a good military to fight the spiders.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Luneshot posted:

Dig deep and dig greedily.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Luneshot posted:

Drilling down into the caverns practically guarantees water. You can always wall it off and pump it up to a cistern if you want to play it safe. Alternatively, an incredibly slow 20 z-level well! Make like ten of them, flying forgotten beasts need options.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Am I the only wuss newbie who's disabled aquifiers :ohdear:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Kitfox88 posted:

I did and I don't give a gently caress.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nah, they're just a giant pain in the rear end

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I started my first fort with an aquifer and I can't find it. Maybe I need to go down further? Not to say this is my first fort, but this is my first embark in an area with aquifer.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

The part of the map that you're digging in might not have the aquifer. You can check on the embark map with the F keys.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
It's possible half your map can have that aquifer, and the other half may not. How deep have you dug?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I don't even know how to tell. It's all a big slope and from about 3/4 up the slope I dug down at least 20 Z levels (just straight down though. This is the same fort I was describing previously where a 200 fps start meant I ran out of food/drink before I even had my first farm plot built... And then forgot to set anything to plant. There was one tiny pool of stagnant surface water that was grossing out the dwarves, but kept them alive.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

It's probably underneath the soil layer outside of the mountain where you're digging and doesn't extend into it.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
DF's been on my radar for years and its only recently I've wanted to try my hand at it. Can anyone recommend a PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack? I believe the last stable version is Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r20 but some confirmation would be cool. I'd like to be able to use all the little tools that come with it but not have to worry about my dwarfs being unable to wear armor or their hands permanently grafting to mugs. I'm not too interested in the new library or visitor features when I'm sure I'll be flooding my first dozen or so forts before I get to that point anyway.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, that's the one. Go hog wild.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Full-embark aquifers are awful, but partial-embark aquifers are amazing. An unlimited source of and deposit for water that doesn't touch the surface, and doesn't freeze during winter. And from my experience with embarking, mountain biomes rarely have an aquifer, but biomes next to them often do, so it's super reliable to find such a setup. Just check the individual biomes using the F1-4 keys and you're golden.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Aquifers should just be removed. We have underground tunnels now which provide water and the same tunnels make a Z-level roadblock that's much more fun to work around.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Met posted:

Aquifers should just be removed. We have underground tunnels now which provide water and the same tunnels make a Z-level roadblock that's much more fun to work around.

I mean, they'd be perfectly workable and kinda atmospheric if Toady just slowed down the drip rate to a fraction of a percent of the current output.

Is that moddable? Would it be possible to make an aquifer wall generate one unit of water every hundred ticks or something instead of whatever outrageous number it is now?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
not in vanilla, maybe in dfhack. most mods just remove them.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Kitfox88 posted:

Nah youre among friends here.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Newbies should disable aquifers, then later if you feel up to it try starting with one and breaking through it. Then you'll never enable them again!

The same principle applies to pump stacks, do one to prove you can and then it's dfhack magmasource for the rest of your days

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's a moddable single player game. Anyone can play it however they want and without shame.

Except for the furries.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Do elves still tell you to stop Chopping down trees? Cuz this is the only response.
:nws:cuz cursing
https://youtu.be/QNd5sOZSkH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Met posted:

It's a moddable single player game. Anyone can play it however they want and without shame.

Except for the furries.

With the fifteen billion animal-man options for adventure mode, even the furries can play. Want to be a brown recluse spider person? Well, you're nuts, but you can anyway!