Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Endbuster posted:

So that's why he didn't return fire as I was poking the shoulder mounts over the ledge. Makes sense. Yeah he def hid in a corner right before that. Glad to see you pulling more dudes into the game. Right after that match we dropped against more [WoL] on River city and it was a brutal light mech slaughter with lots of yelling to get my dudes in the upper city. Thank god the pugs listened and bailed our stuck lance out of harms way.

Sometimes when the pubbies listen, then get hyped cause they won against a 8+ man drop, its magical.

I dont understand why people never go upper city naturally, every time I catherd pubbies to the top we win, when they dont listen we lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
plz pgi, nova c-bill sale

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
My impression of the Warhammer robot is that it looks just like the Thor and the Thunderbolt. I can't really tell the difference between the three at first glance.

Sort of like how I often confuse the Battlemaster, Awesome, and Mauler in this game.

edit-- also, this robot is very tired and out of breath:

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 19, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sard posted:

Well, I'd read it, and probably pass it along to my friend who is getting into the game. Speaking of coaxing friends into bad ideas, anyone have good Top Dog builds? I know bracketing is frowned on but without a coordinated group he's settled into using two ERLL in the shoulder slots to poke with and the rest as mediums for when things get close. I'm sure there are better builds that can fight at close and mid range though, but the best I came up with used six ML, three MPL, and an STD310.

From metamechs: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=289&l=e6aa273ba1e0dccdc713d183c38859e1259017bf

I use this, it's pretty nice and I do good in it even though I'm a mediocre player.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Jack2142 posted:

I dont understand why people never go upper city naturally, every time I catherd pubbies to the top we win, when they dont listen we lose.

Pubbies have a love hate relationship with the high ground. On maps like river city and even alpine, getting them up there is a chore in itself. If the enemy team is pushing up there, you're probably screwed because your team will trickle in one at a time, because they have to pause to leet snipe.

Unless going to the high ground is a bad idea, then they will do that poo poo all day, like the crest on frozen city. They love hanging out in those buildings on the hill and being railed by the enemy team shooting them from cover.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I love it when pubbies play yellboss. I'm in the middle of a fight in my atlas and I've had half my SRMs blown out. I'm backing away as I'm relatively near cover and I see that a conquest point that I'm already moving towards (and am less than 300m from) is getting capped. It's going slowly enough that it's only going to be one mech tops so I start motoring over there given the main firefight is out of my range and I'm damaged enough that if I try to push I'm just going to die. Might as well try and do something useful, right? A publord orders the lights to the cap and then says "Atlas, you're not a light." Then another publord starts yelling and swearing at me over voice for having the temerity to not stand still outside my effective range and get shot.

So I type "You're not my dad" in chat and alt-f4 out. And this is why I don't play this game with other people any more, my tolerance levels have dropped and my idiot child levels have risen dramatically. I'm basically the worst.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fil5000 posted:

I love it when pubbies play yellboss. I'm in the middle of a fight in my atlas and I've had half my SRMs blown out. I'm backing away as I'm relatively near cover and I see that a conquest point that I'm already moving towards (and am less than 300m from) is getting capped. It's going slowly enough that it's only going to be one mech tops so I start motoring over there given the main firefight is out of my range and I'm damaged enough that if I try to push I'm just going to die. Might as well try and do something useful, right? A publord orders the lights to the cap and then says "Atlas, you're not a light." Then another publord starts yelling and swearing at me over voice for having the temerity to not stand still outside my effective range and get shot.

So I type "You're not my dad" in chat and alt-f4 out. And this is why I don't play this game with other people any more, my tolerance levels have dropped and my idiot child levels have risen dramatically. I'm basically the worst.

Corn's solution to this is a very enthusiastic assent followed by a sincerely confused "What?"

Repeat as necessary

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Story time!
Found a fun thing to do in terra therma skirmish yesterday. We told the pubbies to stay out of the big circle and defend on a hill outside of it, and were of course we were told we were stupid and bad for making such an insane suggestion. Since we hate fighting in the butthole, my wife, friend and I went on a scenic tour around the edge of the map and found a spot to hang out until our whole team died, except for a Jenner who fled and joined us. As the pubbies had managed to get no kills despite their elite sniper skills, queue a whole lot of anger from our team at goons for being the source of all their problems.

We shot into the air to attract then enemy team and waited, telling the pubbies we had a sweet ambush set up, evoking some frothy rage. Then the enemy came in a few at a time, and we killed five of them while taking hardly any damage. There were two other enemies in sight, but they ran off and let the match timer expire so we couldn't pull out a win. We thought our team would be happy about out near comeback and goons having top kills and damage in only one minute of fighting, but we were mistaken unfortunately. Queue comments instead about being glad we didn't win and "gently caress goons!" :allears:

I actually enjoyed terra therma for once.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pattonesque posted:

Corn's solution to this is a very enthusiastic assent followed by a sincerely confused "What?"

Repeat as necessary

The next time I tried to drop it made me wait ten seconds because I'd alt-F4d. Which is fair.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Playing with goons is good, playing with Corn is best.

We got yellbossed by a Star Colonel Pubbie a while back who was mixing bad tactics with all-out NATO jargon, so I went into 3rd person and spent the match wobbling about with my flashy drone while spamming VoIP with confused cries for helping getting back into my cockpit. Alas, Lord Viscount Nelson of the Stars was unable to communicate the rest of his tactical plans for assured victory over my panicked pleas for help. Despite Because of this, we were able to goonwreck the enemy team.

Bait and Swatch posted:

Story time!
Found a fun thing to do in terra therma skirmish yesterday. We told the pubbies to stay out of the big circle and defend on a hill outside of it, and were of course we were told we were stupid and bad for making such an insane suggestion. Since we hate fighting in the butthole, my wife, friend and I went on a scenic tour around the edge of the map and found a spot to hang out until our whole team died, except for a Jenner who fled and joined us. As the pubbies had managed to get no kills despite their elite sniper skills, queue a whole lot of anger from our team at goons for being the source of all their problems.

We shot into the air to attract then enemy team and waited, telling the pubbies we had a sweet ambush set up, evoking some frothy rage. Then the enemy came in a few at a time, and we killed five of them while taking hardly any damage. There were two other enemies in sight, but they ran off and let the match timer expire so we couldn't pull out a win. We thought our team would be happy about out near comeback and goons having top kills and damage in only one minute of fighting, but we were mistaken unfortunately. Queue comments instead about being glad we didn't win and "gently caress goons!" :allears:

This is playing Terra Therma the Right Way; and of course if it's assault always go for the base. Once you get there you can either hang out for a few free light kills or go AFK to do something more fun like flossing your teeth with barbed wire.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 19, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I don't mind being yellbossed because if its terrible advice I ignore it

Tmerc I never ignore since he's old enough to actually be my dad

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Also holy poo poo some of the textures on some things are just awful

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bait and Swatch posted:

Story time!

I suppose one good thing about being in scrub tier is that none of the pubbies "know" to go into the middle on Terra Therma so every round I've had only a few people go there to check the other team didn't, as we roll around the outside.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I love yell bosses, especially when there's 2 of them and they disagree on the best course of action.
I really like getting told what to do by people who actually know what they are doing though so big props to everyone in mumble for directing my stupid rear end and not yelling too much that one time I got my TOP DOG destroyed by a Jenner that ran circles around me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
always remember: when dealing with a light in a heavy or assault 'mech, back up and turn in the opposite direction that they're circling you

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Sweep the leg

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Started playing this a couple days ago, can Ixjuvin get an invite to GIRL I guess?? Put together a streakcrow for my first 'real' mech and holy christ this thing is a whirlwind reaper of pubbie souls.

Is a Timberwolf, two Stormcrows and a Cheetah still the advised Babby's First Dropdeck or can I just work towards whatever i think looks cool? I'm currently saving for a third crow variant so I can master (well, elite) it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It doesn't matter if the yellboss has terrible tactics as long as those don't involve splitting up the team, because the #1 way to win fights in pubbie games is to get 12 mechs firing on the same target before the enemy can do the same.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It doesn't matter if the yellboss has terrible tactics as long as those don't involve splitting up the team, because the #1 way to win fights in pubbie games is to get 12 mechs firing on the same target before the enemy can do the same.

Lol yep. I was about to say this. I've been in mumble and heard "well our pubbies..." is the excuse for losing. Nah man. Us goons are good enough to carry a team if we don't get prideful and do our own thing and expect pubbies to listen. If the pickups listen, that's a boon. If they don't, we gotta go with them and try to focus what's killing them to keep the strength in numbers. I used to blame the pubs. Now I don't I just blame myself for not keeping control of my lance and getting them to support the pubs. Even if there is another yell boss contradicting what I'm saying in game, I'll just suck it up and agree with him to keep the drop grouped up. 9/10 times we win those games even if it's a horrible idea by virtue of just being there and killing guys instead of doing our own thing and watching them get murdered.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Endbuster posted:

Lol yep. I was about to say this. I've been in mumble and heard "well our pubbies..." is the excuse for losing. Nah man. Us goons are good enough to carry a team if we don't get prideful and do our own thing and expect pubbies to listen. If the pickups listen, that's a boon. If they don't, we gotta go with them and try to focus what's killing them to keep the strength in numbers. I used to blame the pubs. Now I don't I just blame myself for not keeping control of my lance and getting them to support the pubs. Even if there is another yell boss contradicting what I'm saying in game, I'll just suck it up and agree with him to keep the drop grouped up. 9/10 times we win those games even if it's a horrible idea by virtue of just being there and killing guys instead of doing our own thing and watching them get murdered.

The only time "our pubs" is excusable is when we're rolling five or less. Every other time it's our fault for the above reasons. A lot of people won't call targets or won't stick together, or won't listen altogether when someone tries to yellboss and then it turns into, "Why did we lose?". Then if you try to explain why, you get the "lol i dont care, you tryhard" response.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

teepo posted:

plz pgi, nova c-bill sale

i'll also take crabs

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would be interested in novas after their rescale.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Skoll posted:

The only time "our pubs" is excusable is when we're rolling five or less. Every other time it's our fault for the above reasons. A lot of people won't call targets or won't stick together, or won't listen altogether when someone tries to yellboss and then it turns into, "Why did we lose?". Then if you try to explain why, you get the "lol i dont care, you tryhard" response.

Well this is why I prefer to play with you or tmerc etc etc when I'm on mumble playing. Last night I played about 20 games In a group of 4 and the games where me issuing orders wasn't working we still won cause 12 is a bigger number than 8. Fun times.

Also I bought 3 quickdraws. God I hope they don't get nerfed. I was gonna buy blackjacks but I'm a rule of cool dude and the stupid shape of the mech makes me not want to play it. Who puts humanoid legs on an armless mech. That poo poo looks dumb.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 19, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skoll posted:

I would be interested in novas after their rescale.

a fun nova build

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=307&l=0bc8e8e6f88eebab54375e61e40e264645359f6f

vary back armor to your liking

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Schoolbus and I discovered a fun way to do yellboss stuff:

quote:

Hey guys, did you know letter K is a convicted pedophile? gently caress that guy.

quote:

Every night before bedtime, letter C checks under his bed for Arctic Cheetahs.

quote:

I heard that India will vote for Donald Trump if his team wins this match. We should shoot him in the CT.

quote:

Letter G is a chronic masturbator -- that's why his arm has all his guns. Let's focus it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Triggered.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Kill all targeting computers

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Coolwhoami posted:

Kill all targeting computers

tough to do that without a targeting computer tbh

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Endbuster posted:

This is kinda common I feel. I'm a noob and don't want to start arguing but it felt kinda weird 3 days ago when we were dropping in a group of 8 and the mumble erupted in "gently caress those pubbies" "drat pubbies" et.c. when we got rolled.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

It's always the pubbies.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

This is kinda common I feel. I'm a noob and don't want to start arguing but it felt kinda weird 3 days ago when we were dropping in a group of 8 and the mumble erupted in "gently caress those pubbies" "drat pubbies" et.c. when we got rolled.

There are two types of MWO goons:
  • those who frantically look around for someone to blame (read: pubbies) when they make a mistake
  • those who are just happy to shoot robots

The elitist goons who know more about the battletech lore than about the touch of a woman fall into the first category.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

occasionally you will have a group of pubbies that ignore what you tell them and run headlong into the enemy team, and suddenly it's 12-8 without your being able to do much about it

pretty much only in that case it is the pubbies' fault

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
this is me irl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHNYyxm8HU0

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I'm not letting myself get worked up about this game again, but really every group drop should have a yellboss, and everyone else listens; for weal or woe. Maybe the yellboss is good, maybe the yellboss is bad. I don't give a gently caress. I just hate seeing goons pull defeat from the jaws of victory because no one tries to yellboss and no one bothers to listen.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

tough to do that without a targeting computer tbh

Dammit.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Eldragon posted:

I'm not letting myself get worked up about this game again, but really every group drop should have a yellboss, and everyone else listens; for weal or woe. Maybe the yellboss is good, maybe the yellboss is bad. I don't give a gently caress. I just hate seeing goons pull defeat from the jaws of victory because no one tries to yellboss and no one bothers to listen.

This game is loving miserable if you're not going to use teamwork (and by teamwork, I mean shoot motherfucker x when someone says shoot motherfucker x).

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Teamwork can suck it in gonna sit on my building and shoot my ppcs

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
I have seen a lot of new goons playing recently who are pretty green. Having the publords + few goon newbirds in an goon 8 man effectively snackrificing themselves to the enemy can quickly end up feeling like a 12v6 with the enemy having a tonnage advantage on top of it due to being a bunch of 2-4 person teams.

That said, it is always the pubbies fault.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Just get in some brawlers, sometimes you win sometimes you lose, but it's always fun. Bonus fun if you have a ghost dad and SRM stalker and can make it around the flank to touch enemy butts undetected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Pattonesque posted:

always remember: when dealing with a light in a heavy or assault 'mech, back up and turn in the opposite direction that they're circling you

If you're a heavy or assault vs a light, back up into a wall or corner to deny them the option to circle then start shooting legs

Also yell in comms for your lights to come chase the loving light away. If the light bails out don't chase, but take a couple more shots at legs while it's running away

If you manage to leg it before it escapes then by all means kill it and say :rip: in allchat

• Locked thread