Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The tracks from his early designing career are pretty good too, he did the current Red Bull Ring and the reworked Hockenheim. However in redesigns he also did the soul crushing hell that is the modern Fuji Speedway and also is responsible for the chicane at the end of Circuit de Catalunya. He also did Moscow Raceway which I'm pretty fond of, the problem is that every F1 track he designs has those same features, hairpins at the end of long straights, strings of sweepers that get smaller etc. One of the things I will say about his tracks is they often have pretty distinct shapes from above, like I know the basic shape of COTA, Shanghai and Sepang easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just pretty much reiterate Spa/Watkins Glen/Laguna Seca/Willow for every track ever.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

njsykora posted:

However in redesigns he also did the soul crushing hell that is the modern Fuji Speedway

Yeah if anyone ever wants to know why people hate Tilke, find a copy of Gran Turismo 4, load up old Fuji and then load up the modern track. The new Fuji is pretty close to the bottom tier of his already mostly awful tracks, and it's made all the worse by the fact that old Fuji was awesome.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 18, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is my favourite explaination of why new Fuji is bad, though the fact that it's a redesign of what was an incredibly fast and difficult track should be enough.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Cubey posted:

Yeah if anyone ever wants to know why people hate Tilke, find a copy of Gran Turismo 4, load up old Fuji and then load up the modern track. The new Fuji is pretty close to the bottom tier of his already mostly awful tracks, and it's made all the worse by the fact that old Fuji was awesome.

Holy poo poo I forgot about that track. Thanks for that.... piece of poo poo memory.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

What do you all think of Circuit of The Americas? I'm pretty sure I hate it. Any chance it might grow on me?

shut your whore mouth. ;)

I really like COTA West! I think it's one of Tilke's not bad tracks.

Endbuster posted:

Oh dont get me wrong. Yas is a blast with the goon bros. Its poo poo online cause I have to cut the gently caress out of it to keep pace with all the other rumble cutting fuckwits.

And the aero on GP tracks is fun because even if you are only taking a 20-30mph corner at double speed, at least you can do it full powah.

I really like Yas, but same. I wish Turn10 could figure out a way to penalize those who shortcut. Mandatory pit or whatever. But then they run the risk of those who might have been forced into a bad line.

robotsinmyhead posted:

I think this is why I tend to really like the Turn10 tracks like Prague, Maple Valley, etc - Instead of dumb hyper-technical eleventy hairpin monstrosities that are typical of newer GP tracks (I have a bug up my rear end about Tilke, specifically), they give you these fun undulating scenic tracks with great mixes of turns, and typically, lots of flat-out sweepers and combo turns that feel really great when you get them right.

Modern GP tracks tend to focus way more on getting brake points correct and that's pretty much it. Contrast that with an older GP track like Catalunya that mixes it up pretty well and is overall a pretty cool track.

I really like Prague and Burnese Alps (reverse). They are just two tracks you can go full out on.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

geeves posted:

I really like Yas, but same. I wish Turn10 could figure out a way to penalize those who shortcut. Mandatory pit or whatever. But then they run the risk of those who might have been forced into a bad line.

I really like Prague and Burnese Alps (reverse). They are just two tracks you can go full out on.

Yeah COTA and Yas are pretty much my fav of his.

Also, Prague is hands down my favorite track in the game. Since Maple Valley isn't around. :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cubey posted:

The only positive is that we've at least been spared Tilke's two worst tracks - Yeongam and Valencia. They are really, truly abysmal to drive in every way, but thankfully they're almost certainly never going to be in Forza.
I thought Yeongam was okay in F1 2010 :saddowns:

But yeah, those tracks won't be showing up in anything now that F1 has abandoned them. I think the Yeongam track is sinking into a swamp or something by now, so that was a good use of all that money (Bernie got paid, at least, and that's the most important thing). We got one fun trainwreck race and another one where a truck was briefly leading the field, but that's about it. Still better than the Indian GP, I can't even remember anything about those races other than the heavy smog and Vettel winning by a country mile every time.

As for the current Hockenheim, I've never cared for it. It's objectively better for racing and spectating than the old layout with its long-rear end straights through the forest, but the track lost all its personality when Tilke cut it up. A similar thing happened with the A1-Ring/Red Bull Ring which used to be the super fast (and dangerous) Österreichring, but the Red Bull Ring is still a fun track. Alpine Ring in Forza 1 was kind of a mix between the two, and it's still one of my favorite lost Forza tracks.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I think the weird thing about watching F1 on the Tilke tracks is that you don't notice how hosed up they are. I remember watching Yas when it first hit the calendar and being in awe of how cool it looked - but they never really showed (or I missed) and indication of what the track map looked like. All the shots of the cars (in and out) didn't indicate anything negative.

Racing on it though, I really don't like.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I will say that the final 2 corners at the Red Bull Ring are possibly 2 of my favourites in modern F1 just because in just about any car they're a lot faster than you think they are. I feel kinda the same about the last hairpin at Hockenheim because its banking makes it really fast by hairpin standards.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of the Österreichring/Red Bull Ring, here is the F1 field of 1987 doing their best impression of Forza pubbies (although in this case the pileup happened mainly because of technical problems in the front row):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRPCxUjnHzc

The good stuff starts around 7:40 into the video. There are some shenanigans earlier (about 5:20 in) and they have to restart the race, and then Nigel Mansell's clutch immediately fails. The start of the Austrian GP has always been a tricky spot and seen many pileups over the years, and the last thing you need there is a slow car at the front.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Let's just all agree Maple Valley was the real loss here. :hfive:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sockington posted:

Let's just all agree Maple Valley was the real loss here. :hfive:

I really miss this track. :/ Turn-10s insistence on real life tracks only now is a huge loss and mistake.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
The best fictional track was Red Rock Valley from GT2.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

metallicaeg posted:

The best fictional track was Red Rock Valley from GT2.

That's a weird way to spell Rainbow Road.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

GutBomb posted:

That's a weird way to spell Rainbow Road.

The OG gently caress You version from SNES or the okay one from N64?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

geeves posted:

B-b-but I said CoTA full. Please don't move the goalposts on me, I don't even know CoTA West exists!

MERCY!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

metallicaeg posted:

The OG gently caress You version from SNES or the okay one from N64?

Wii actually.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I agree that T10 should immediately begin porting Mario Kart tracks into FM6.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

I agree that T10 should immediately begin porting Mario Kart tracks into FM6.

People would be itching to purple shell L Harrison.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Sockington posted:

People would be itching to purple shell L Harrison.

He'd deserve it :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

this loving jaguar I swear to god :argh:

It looks great, especially with a livery such as that one, but this is probably the worst car I've driven in Forza since the comically overpowered and entirely uncontrollable BMW 2002 I made for laughs back in Forza 4. In fast corners it handles like a battleship and you have to brake and turn about three weeks earlier than most cars, and in slow corners you'll instantly lose the rear on the exit unless you're in 4th gear. I eventually managed to win a race with it once I sort of learned its behavior, but I don't think I'll drive it again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

He'd deserve it :colbert:

L_Harrison did nothing wrong :colbert:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Doc Morbid posted:

this loving jaguar I swear to god :argh:

It looks great, especially with a livery such as that one, but this is probably the worst car I've driven in Forza since the comically overpowered and entirely uncontrollable BMW 2002 I made for laughs back in Forza 4. In fast corners it handles like a battleship and you have to brake and turn about three weeks earlier than most cars, and in slow corners you'll instantly lose the rear on the exit unless you're in 4th gear. I eventually managed to win a race with it once I sort of learned its behavior, but I don't think I'll drive it again.

Which one is it? I think there's two modern Jags and they are both pretty terrible stock. One of them I built or downloaded a good tune (I can't remember) but I think it bumped it up a class.
I will check and share or post the creator.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

WienerDog posted:

Which one is it? I think there's two modern Jags and they are both pretty terrible stock. One of them I built or downloaded a good tune (I can't remember) but I think it bumped it up a class.

It's the F-Type. I really wish they had the supercharged V6 version. The V8 turns the car into a cartoon.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

njsykora posted:

L_Harrison did nothing wrong :colbert:

Yeah. That was generally why he got first place :eng101:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

WienerDog posted:

That particular championship only allows cars with a PI of 660 and the stock F-Type is a 640, so there's only so much that can be done right now. I tried the stock version at first, and it was comically awful so I got one of the tunes that made the handling slightly better while keeping it at 660.

The only reason I even have that particular Jaguar is that I got it for free from a spin or as a loyalty reward. I was too cheap to buy a new car for the championship series, so it was either this or one of the other eligible cars I had. I knew the others would be terrible, so I tried this one and it turned out to be even worse. :v:

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

That particular championship only allows cars with a PI of 660 and the stock F-Type is a 640, so there's only so much that can be done right now. I tried the stock version at first, and it was comically awful so I got one of the tunes that made the handling slightly better while keeping it at 660.

The only reason I even have that particular Jaguar is that I got it for free from a spin or as a loyalty reward. I was too cheap to buy a new car for the championship series, so it was either this or one of the other eligible cars I had. I knew the others would be terrible, so I tried this one and it turned out to be even worse. :v:

If you don't have the new Shelby Mustang GT350 get it now. It just shits all over the rest of that class.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The GT350 is apparently a VIP car. Might be available as regular DLC, I haven't checked, but in any case I'd have to pay real money for it because I only have the vanilla game and the 10th anniversary DLC that was included with it. Mustangs and I don't really get along anyway.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:lol: love you too, Dizzle

Squeaker: "I have a Lamborghini".
Reply: "Can you even spell Lamborghini?"

He then wrecks the gently caress out of everyone in his Countach.

Me: "Is your dad a coke dealer from the 80s? If so you drive like him".
Squeaker: quits lobby.

Forget the backmarker trolls, the worst ones are the ones who go on to win after loving your rear end on the start on a straight. Same guy wrecked me three times off the start when he was directly behind me then went on to get 1st or 2nd.

geeves fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 20, 2016

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Doc Morbid posted:

I have a 660PI F-Type that's pretty decent. I guess I set it up for that championship. The back end comes out a bit, so I lose some time trying to reign it in, but I'm slow, and don't use TCS or STM.

I also have a AWD and v12 swapped F-Type tuned to S800 for funsies.

Both are shared under my GT: Molgandhi.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

WienerDog posted:

I have a 660PI F-Type that's pretty decent. I guess I set it up for that championship. The back end comes out a bit, so I lose some time trying to reign it in, but I'm slow, and don't use TCS or STM.

RWD? Try adjusting the differential to keep control of dat rear end.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Hermann Tilke, designer of Sochi, Yas Marina, CotA, Bahrain, and a lot of others.

He gets a lot of poo poo for a a copy/paste aesthetic to his tracks, in that many of them look really similar.

His newer tracks are also simultaneously praised for being safer due to large run-off areas, but lacking any real "penalty" for going off track (FIA rules have remedied this a bit, but it's way more arbitrary)

I personally find his tracks to be difficult for the wrong reasons - mostly just straights with varying degree turns followed by another straight, maybe a constant radius turn here or there. I'm sure that sounds reductive because that's how "all tracks" are in a really general way, but in my opinion, good tracks should "flow" with the terrain and be exciting. Technical parts should be a result of track planning and natural features rather than imposed by the designer.

They're not all bad. Turkey Istanbul Park was a pretty cool track, but for the most part, his tracks are going more and more the way of all looking like Yas Marina.

A: Tilke did not design COTA's layout, that was Tavo Hellmund and Kevin Schwantz. Tilke GmbH did the buildings and infrastructure.

B: Turkey was a great track, because the site had a lot of elevation. Every other recent f1 track that Tilke has done has been a flat stretch of wasteland (or swamp in the case of Shanghai) which is why they're so boring. There is no terrain with which to flow.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
They seem to have really just given up on adding Rivals events, huh?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

As much as the drivatars tend to piss me off during most races, sometimes they manage to pull off something pretty cool such as this three-wide moment at Daytona:

#007 Aston Martin on the outside is me, BMW in the middle is a backmarker and the Maserati is a goon drivatar (BadLeRo). This was the second to last lap and I thought I had the race in the bag, but as I went to lap the BMW I just saw the Maserati absolutely blast past both of us (obviously getting a pretty good draft from the BMW) and went :staredog: because I had a comfortable lead the last time I checked. Had to settle for second because there was no way I could catch up, but I wasn't even mad because that was pretty drat cool. At first I kinda called shenanigans when the Maserati seemingly came out of nowhere as if someone turned on rubber band AI, but when I checked the replay and the telemetry I found out the Maserati simply was much faster than my Aston (50 kph faster than my max speed) and would've disappeared into the distance far earlier if it hadn't gotten stuck behind a Lamborghini for the first eight laps. Good stuff and nice clean racing, I wish more of my single player events were like this instead of a re-enactment of Death Race 2000.

I really should get around to racing with decent folks (or at least the people from this thread :v:) online, so I can get this kind of thing done to me by real people instead of drivatars. Except I wouldn't be anywhere near the lead in those races, but still!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
The AI drives really slippery cars, and it really shows on Daytona. I've brought some GTLM-style cars on that track, and even with low downforce tunes, they absolutely eat my lunch on the Tri-Oval.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well I finished comfortably inside the top 50%, so got a 312p coming my way. Now I don't need to worry about racing in leagues again for a while, thank god for that. What an awful trainwreck of an experience. I was going to share a few replays of how bad they were but it was literally every single race turning into a complete disaster and the person who won was almost always whoever avoided the huge pileups in the first few turns.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Pileup makes it sound accidental instead of like the deliberate attempt to take people out that it is.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
But pileups in the first turns are the best races.

(Because I motor by and smile all the way to victory :smug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sometimes you don't even need to wait until the first corner for crashes!

These two AI drivers managed to wreck themselves before they even reached the start line. The one in front decided to cut right into the other's path at the start, and both ended up in the pit wall. Pro-level AI at work! :downs:

The Formula Ford showcase was pretty fun in general, as these cars are a bit... temperamental. I had far less trouble controlling the 70s Lotus F1 than this thing.

• Locked thread