Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Am I being crazy here when I say the federal gunship is a trash ship? The Federal Assault Ship is not only cheaper, but seems to be better as a fighter, and a ship in every possible way.
Listen, the Gunship has 7 gun hardpoints, 6 of which can take multicannons at the correct size. Dakka dakka dakka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

i haven't touched this thing in six months. are multicannons still the best dps?
They suck against shields (like all kinetic weapons), but they're very solid otherwise. They still don't come in anything bigger than a class 2, however.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

They suck against shields (like all kinetic weapons), but they're very solid otherwise. They still don't come in anything bigger than a class 2, however.

Class 3's would be baller as heck

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Pretty sure I read somewhere they plan to add class 3 MCs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok now that I have one I can see why people rave about the Vulture.

I was going to buy an Asp Scout then looked over and thought "why not?". No regrets so far.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Ok now that I have one I can see why people rave about the Vulture.

I was going to buy an Asp Scout then looked over and thought "why not?". No regrets so far.

Yeah, the Vulture owns for bounty hunting. I just upgraded to a FAS but didn't get a chance to go fly it around yet. We'll see how it compares, but looks like it has a bunch more power available at least; the Vulture I used ran down the weapon power even with 4 pips, whereas the FAS shouldn't, no?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The Vulture is just an enormous slab of heavy armor and shields with a shocking pair of engine cells on one end and two obscene guns on the other and I freaking love it. Do not engage directly.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Am I being crazy here when I say the federal gunship is a trash ship? The Federal Assault Ship is not only cheaper, but seems to be better as a fighter, and a ship in every possible way.

Insert name here posted:

Nah most people seem to hold that opinion, though I personally enjoy the hell out of it. Kinda weird how hugely expensive it is though.

I really really wanted to enjoy the gunship. It DOES have dakka for days, but coming from an FAS and other descent-likes, it was just far too slow and bulky-feeling for me to really get into it. And the fact that it costs about as much to fully equip as a fully equipped Fer-de-Lance doesn't help at all either. I assume because it masses almost as much as a Corvette. Seriously. 630t to the 'vette's 666.

edit: this is not to say it's a trash ship. It just has some very off-putting downsides for some people. That's not to say some people wouldn't enjoy feeling like they were flying a space-tank.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 19, 2016

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The vulture is basically a spaceworthy version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicqBhHvGlA

e: Which is why Frontier need to give us a class 3 multicannon.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, the Vulture owns for bounty hunting. I just upgraded to a FAS but didn't get a chance to go fly it around yet. We'll see how it compares, but looks like it has a bunch more power available at least; the Vulture I used ran down the weapon power even with 4 pips, whereas the FAS shouldn't, no?

The FAS is wonderful. Basically take what you like about the Vulture and make it bigger and meaner. The only downside is weaker shielding, but it makes up for that with its armor (well over 2000 with milbulk and reinforcements). I use a C3 beam and three frags, and 2.5 pips easily runs that beam for as long as I need it in most engagements.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Someone can explain to me why sometimes when submitting to interdictions I still get a FSD failure?

Was doing some runs from Fehu and two bastards in a random system pulled me off and managed to scan me. I submitted - it failed somehow - tried to get a full boost, then a bunch of "MISSION FAILURE" alerts popped up.

Ejected the cargo, exited the game, 10M down the drain :(

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Submitting takes a couple of seconds, they can win the toss before you've finished submitting. That's so you can't spend the entire time fighting against it then kill your speed at the last second, which would make the long cooldown pretty pointless.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Transmetropolitan posted:

Someone can explain to me why sometimes when submitting to interdictions I still get a FSD failure?

Was doing some runs from Fehu and two bastards in a random system pulled me off and managed to scan me. I submitted - it failed somehow - tried to get a full boost, then a bunch of "MISSION FAILURE" alerts popped up.

Carry chaffs and a gun. Chaff will delay the scan, then just shoot the fuckers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I certainly wouldn't call it a trash ship. I really like mine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Akion posted:

Carry chaffs and a gun. Chaff will delay the scan, then just shoot the fuckers.

NPC scans aren't affected by chaff.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
The black market in this universe demands that nobody scan your ship yet manages to leak the fact that you're carrying poo poo to every god drat cop and pirate between robigo and your destination

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I want to sell illegal goods.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Re: FedGunship chat, I really like the Gunship but it isn't always a very fun ship to actually fly. It's got okay maneuverability but garbage vertical/lateral thrusters, it's the second slowest ship in the game, and the supercruise flight model feels really broken and weightless. On the other hand, it's got excellent firepower with a really beefy power distributor to back that up, great durability, runs cool, and has good hardpoint locations for fixed weapons. I'd say the Gunship is a really excellent weapons platform as opposed to a space fighter the way the FAS is.

edit: for a good time, put PACs on all three bottom mounts of the FGunship (2x c2, 1x c3) and obliterate everything you hit

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

NPC scans aren't affected by chaff.

For reals? Well poo poo, when did that change?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Transmetropolitan posted:

Don't eject the cargo, at least sell it on a black market somewhere and make something. Sure it'll be a fraction of what you would have gotten, but dumping it in space is just needlessly wasteful.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Akion posted:

For reals? Well poo poo, when did that change?
It didn't, it's always been that way.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Smuggling missions are fun. The ones where you don't have to worry about being scanned are even better. Sothis offering 8 million to smuggle a large quantity of contraband is better than waiting for Robigo to offer me 3+ million for smuggling a small amount of it.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Is it worth attempting a run way out to Robigo or Sothis or whatever if I only have a trade rank of Dealer and fly an Asp Explorer? It would be a change of pace from bounty hunting in RES sites, but on the other hand I don't want to have to worry about failing a bunch of smuggling missions because I got scanned

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Killing the .exe in the task manager gets you out of a scan though, right? I wouldn't do that in PvP but NPCs can gently caress off.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

Is it worth attempting a run way out to Robigo or Sothis or whatever if I only have a trade rank of Dealer and fly an Asp Explorer? It would be a change of pace from bounty hunting in RES sites, but on the other hand I don't want to have to worry about failing a bunch of smuggling missions because I got scanned

That's where I was when I did my first one. Try and give yourself a lot of time to do it though. I spent the better half of a day on a single run before I worked out how to be efficient enough to get it down to about two hours on average.

e: also I had to scum the board a lot, but that might not be such a problem now that :frontear: removed all bulk illegal cargo missions entirely. Rank requirements for the shadow deliveries will probably still chap your rear end a bit, but such is life. It gets better pretty quickly after a few runs.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 19, 2016

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

limaCAT posted:

Losing one hour of bounty hunting and 200.000 bounty credits just because you targeted the wrong viper in a low res, did have no chaff because I just thought that going to another system to refill it was too much of a hassle, since this low res is 3000ls out from the star, such is bullshit the life of a bounty hunter.
:ughh:

Just wait until you lose 4 million in bounties due to an asteroid suddenly materializing inside of your rear end :shepicide:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

It takes about a hour tops for me. Sothis gave me two big ones right off the bat. 8 million for Narcotics and 5 million for slaves. Took up about 110t in my cargo hold. About 25 jumps to the target systems but they were right next to each other and I was interdicted about 3 or 4 times. My rank is Merchant and the mission failed if it was upon ship destruction.

I think it was well worth it.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Jimbot posted:

It takes about a hour tops for me. Sothis gave me two big ones right off the bat. 8 million for Narcotics and 5 million for slaves. Took up about 110t in my cargo hold. About 25 jumps to the target systems but they were right next to each other and I was interdicted about 3 or 4 times. My rank is Merchant and the mission failed if it was upon ship destruction.

Hmm, maybe I'll fit my Asp to have more cargo space and a better FSD and go check it out, then.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Jimbot posted:

And those missions don't fail on scan?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Jimbot posted:

How recently was this? They disabled the large volume smuggling missions because people were just abandoning them and selling the items straight back to the station's black market and I wasn't aware they'd turned them back on yet.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Annath posted:

And those missions don't fail on scan?

Nope, not at all.

Mercurius posted:

How recently was this? They disabled the large volume smuggling missions because people were just abandoning them and selling the items straight back to the station's black market and I wasn't aware they'd turned them back on yet.

Today. I just got a few just now too. Proof.

Were the profits as good as just delivering them? That sort of thing can be avoided if the goods disappeared from your hold if you abandon the mission.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Jimbot posted:

Nope, not at all.

Today. I just got a few just now too. Proof.

Were the profits as good as just delivering them? That sort of thing can be avoided if the goods disappeared from your hold if you abandon the mission.

Will my 80T Asp be reasonable, or should I fit a trade Python?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm no smuggling master but I feel Asps are probably the best smuggling ship around. I don't own a Python so I couldn't tell you if it's any better or not. I have 112t in my thing and it has suited me perfectly and since the missions don't always show up I've not yet maxed out my cargo space.

Edit: I got scanned and none of those missions failed. I got a 300k fine slapped on me. But that's pittance compared to what I got for turning in the things. So go hogwild.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 20, 2016

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Can someone tell me, is this Corvette build making good use of the ship's strengths? I'm trying to make a PvE dream build for that fateful day when I actually have enough credits to buy the thing. My general thought process is that the bigger your shield gets, the more benefit you're getting from shield boosters- so I've slapped the biggest shield in the game on it, and hopefully it can shield tank forever with 2kMJ in shields plus 4300 in batteries.

I've also bumped it to a couple thousand armor just in case I decide to fight a wing of anacondas or something. I've got cannons on there because Frontier doesn't seem to like huge pulse weapons, but I might switch to all-pulse since this is supposed to be sustainable. Thoughts? I'm worried it'll be too heavy to maneuver and I'll have wasted several hundred million.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...=PvE%20Corvette

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sarsapariller posted:

Can someone tell me, is this Corvette build making good use of the ship's strengths? I'm trying to make a PvE dream build for that fateful day when I actually have enough credits to buy the thing. My general thought process is that the bigger your shield gets, the more benefit you're getting from shield boosters- so I've slapped the biggest shield in the game on it, and hopefully it can shield tank forever with 2kMJ in shields plus 4300 in batteries.

I've also bumped it to a couple thousand armor just in case I decide to fight a wing of anacondas or something. I've got cannons on there because Frontier doesn't seem to like huge pulse weapons, but I might switch to all-pulse since this is supposed to be sustainable. Thoughts? I'm worried it'll be too heavy to maneuver and I'll have wasted several hundred million.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...=PvE%20Corvette

Some thoughts:
1.) stacking SCB's is dead, replace the shield with a biweave and leave maybe one bank, replace the others with something else, hull reinforcements for maximum tankiness
2.) drop a bunch of the shield boosters while you're at it
3.) buy A rank sensors, they're worth it, especially for PvE
4.) One of the strengths of the ship is the generous power distributor relative to hardpoints, slap beams on that b*tch

In your current set up, you'll be waiting forever or blowing shield charges to restore your shields after a heavy fight. You're investing in MilSpec armor, don't be afraid to use it!

This is my current setup for my corvette, I can handle just about anything in PvE:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_corvette/18A7A6A5D8A8A5C1r1r0v0s0s0p0p000b040404040l02B006063d5n2d246lv42f.Iw18Z5A=.Aw18ZCMNcQ==?bn=Vette

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Yeah if you're running dual C4 cannons definitely go with beams in the rest of the slots. Also use a biweave because you will otherwise hate yourself when you need to charge up your shields.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Insert name here posted:

Yeah if you're running dual C4 cannons definitely go with beams in the rest of the slots. Also use a biweave because you will otherwise hate yourself when you need to charge up your shields.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Some thoughts:
1.) stacking SCB's is dead, replace the shield with a biweave and leave maybe one bank, replace the others with something else, hull reinforcements for maximum tankiness
2.) drop a bunch of the shield boosters while you're at it
3.) buy A rank sensors, they're worth it, especially for PvE
4.) One of the strengths of the ship is the generous power distributor relative to hardpoints, slap beams on that b*tch

In your current set up, you'll be waiting forever or blowing shield charges to restore your shields after a heavy fight. You're investing in MilSpec armor, don't be afraid to use it!

This is my current setup for my corvette, I can handle just about anything in PvE:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_corvette/18A7A6A5D8A8A5C1r1r0v0s0s0p0p000b040404040l02B006063d5n2d246lv42f.Iw18Z5A=.Aw18ZCMNcQ==?bn=Vette

Okay, thank you both. I haven't ever run anything larger than a vulture in combat so I'm a bit new to actually having power to mess with. Beams and fast shields it is!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Jimbot posted:

I'm no smuggling master but I feel Asps are probably the best smuggling ship around. I don't own a Python so I couldn't tell you if it's any better or not. I have 112t in my thing and it has suited me perfectly and since the missions don't always show up I've not yet maxed out my cargo space.

Edit: I got scanned and none of those missions failed. I got a 300k fine slapped on me. But that's pittance compared to what I got for turning in the things. So go hogwild.
That's what we were hoping those large scale missions were going to be when they first showed up in the beta but I think when they went live they were paying out like 1.5-2m for a 100T+ load of cargo.

It's really good that they've chosen to overhaul the missions rather than removing them forever and those numbers you've posted are much better and provide an actual alternative (albeit at lower payouts because of cargo space vs number of missions) to shadow deliveries. With the new missions the time sink will be travelling to and from Robigo rather than hopping all over the place to a million different stations.

Maybe they're finally learning somewhat :unsmith:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Insert name here posted:

I don't have the Corvette yet, but I have been using an absolutely stupid Anaconda build with A7 prismatic shields + 4/8 utility slots as shield boosters, and you can get a very good recharge out of a 6B SCB, which you can carry 2 of if you only enable one at a time. You'll need to pair each recharge with a heatsink, so 3x4 sinks - 2x6 SCBs, and it's a bit fiddly, but lets you stay out for ages killing stuff.

Playing with ship builds (plus power management & obscene amounts of credits) I don't see why you couldn't do something like that with a Corvette, and still have double-huge PAs for shits & giggles.

All of this silliness requires that 150M 8A power plant though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm using dual 7A SCBs on my Corvette.

I keep both SCBs turned on, but rather than using the hotkey for them (which would fire the pair, causing Bad Things), I put them in fire groups so I can pop one at a time.

• Locked thread