Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Crotch posted:

She's apparently an important enough character in the Pathfinder universe that she's been drawn by other, more competent artists.

I'm the giant Zladizlaw Beksinski skull-tower looming in the background.
She looks like she's smiling, but you can see from her eyes that she is suffering inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

The Crotch posted:

She's apparently an important enough character in the Pathfinder universe that she's been drawn by other, more competent artists.

Todd McFarlane's Pathfinder.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LongDarkNight posted:

Todd McFarlane's Pathfinder.
Or Rob Liefeld's, what with all the feet being hidden behind a conveniently-placed small hill.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know the one on the right is badass and evil because she's licking her blade!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know the one on the right is badass and evil because she's licking her blade!

And twisting her spine so we can see her butt and breasts at the same time!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evil Mastermind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTn1QxCZ2s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is that picture some kind of ironic-but-not-really celebration of the dumbest concepts in fantasy art ever? They're all wielding dumb spiky chain weapons, the guy looks like a parody of a Warhammer character and both women are wearing sex armour, and only the Vampire Sex Elf looks like she's having a good time. It's hard for me to believe that someone drew this in the 2010s with an earnest lack of self-awareness.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Crotch posted:

Did you say more competent?

I hate almost everything about this picture.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Halloween Jack posted:

an earnest lack of self-awareness.

Nerds.txt

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

How did she even put it on with all those spikes

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This made my morning, thank you.

"It was a cool move, though! :haw:"

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dwarf74 posted:

Did you say more competent?

I hate almost everything about this picture.
Just because the bar was lying on the ground doesn't mean it doesn't exist and hasn't been stumbled over.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I guess that lady never... sits down? Or squats. Or leans up against anything.

The blurry leaves in the foreground. The weird scratches in the sky, like this was going to be one of those stylized drawings, but that's the only place that shows it. The incongruous distant cliffs in the left background.

Where is the goddamn light source? The skulltower is lit from the foreground but there's a huge bright blurb in the dead center background, and the characters are somehow not silhouetted against it, they're lit vaguely from the foreground.

What are they doing? There's nobody to fight, but spikelady is twirling her chain thingy like someone's watching. Who is she smiling at? What is grimguy doing, just standing there pondering? Why is he holding up his chain, like, is there an audience behind us and this is an impromptu spiked chain auction?

I suppose... ok, the human proportions aren't bad. The faces are OK, they're well executed with good detail and they convey expressions. The use of color is OK, it's a good limited color palette. I uh... I think that's it as far as positive comments I can come up with about it.

It's incredibly bad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Is that picture some kind of ironic-but-not-really celebration of the dumbest concepts in fantasy art ever? They're all wielding dumb spiky chain weapons, the guy looks like a parody of a Warhammer character and both women are wearing sex armour, and only the Vampire Sex Elf looks like she's having a good time. It's hard for me to believe that someone drew this in the 2010s with an earnest lack of self-awareness.

The dude's really understated compared to most Warhammer characters, though.

The ladies aren't, however.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The woman in black has just completed her floor routine at a spiked-chain gymnastics competition. The redhead is up next, licking her blades for a little extra sparkle on them - the judges were impressed and she's going to need to bring her a-game. The dude has just realized he's at the women's competition. He's hopeful that his flowing locks and robe will fool the infernal officials (who are often confused by mortals' anatomy.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

The woman in black has just completed her floor routine at a spiked-chain gymnastics competition. The redhead is up next, licking her blades for a little extra sparkle on them - the judges were impressed and she's going to need to bring her a-game. The dude has just realized he's at the women's competition. He's hopeful that his flowing locks and robe will fool the infernal officials (who are often confused by mortals' anatomy.)

He's even showing a little leg for them.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's actually a Velcro elemental.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
And people wonder why I can't take talk of Paizo being progressive too seriously.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Kurieg posted:

He's even showing a little leg for them.

I cant tell if its a left or right leg though? :confused:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And people wonder why I can't take talk of Paizo being progressive too seriously.
Well truth be told its not like Paizo was atrocious at the start and they did in fact get better.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Leperflesh posted:

What are they doing?

Posing for their album cover, duh.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, to be fair: those pictures are from 2008 and 2011, respectively. I don't know who did the first picture but the guy who did the second one has some legit stuff (also PF):

EDIT: The spike chain group are all followers of Zon-Kuthon, god of bad fashion.

"Okay so the party is a half-orc barbarian, a drow paladin, an elf druid, a human bard, and, uh... a steampunk gimp cleric."

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 20, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'm not sure why spiked chain usage always seems to be ascribed to psuedo-evil cultists rather than the more likely batshit insane wire-fu martial artists that looked at the nunchaku and said, "That's nice, but you didn't go far enough"

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Well, in this case part of worshiping Zon-Kuthon involves self-mutilation and the spiked chain would probably cause just as much damage to you as anyone you were trying to hit.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

senrath posted:

Well, in this case part of worshiping Zon-Kuthon involves self-mutilation and the spiked chain would probably cause just as much damage to you as anyone you were trying to hit.

Which just makes the mechanical superiority of spiked chain hard to wrap you head around. Spiked chains are one of the best, if not the best, weapon for doing difficult and fancy maneuvers in D&D 3.5.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Y'know, I'm actually okay with spiked chains and dire flails. Yes, they'd be dumb as all heck in real life, but impractical weapons are a staple of fantasy. Hell, give fighters more cool-dumb weapons. Giant swords and hammers. Knife-whips. Mother-lovin' swordchucks. And give them cool mechanical benefits. I'm all about giving fighters more cool stuff to do besides "I swing my weapon. I hit. I do some damage."

The problem isn't that you can use a spiked chain effectively, it's that the same can't be said of a longsword or a mace.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cynic Jester posted:

Which just makes the mechanical superiority of spiked chain hard to wrap you head around. Spiked chains are one of the best, if not the best, weapon for doing difficult and fancy maneuvers in D&D 3.5.
They are phenomenal in 4e as well, with a single feat. Not the best for every class, but incredibly strong because they could poach Light Blade support.

One of my favorite (but little-played :() characters from 4e was a half-orc spiked-chain-wielding Thief.

JackMann posted:

Y'know, I'm actually okay with spiked chains and dire flails. Yes, they'd be dumb as all heck in real life, but impractical weapons are a staple of fantasy. Hell, give fighters more cool-dumb weapons. Giant swords and hammers. Knife-whips. Mother-lovin' swordchucks. And give them cool mechanical benefits. I'm all about giving fighters more cool stuff to do besides "I swing my weapon. I hit. I do some damage."

The problem isn't that you can use a spiked chain effectively, it's that the same can't be said of a longsword or a mace.
I think D&D could do a lot worse than poaching weapons from The Blood of Heroes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

JackMann posted:

Y'know, I'm actually okay with spiked chains and dire flails. Yes, they'd be dumb as all heck in real life, but impractical weapons are a staple of fantasy.
I have nothing against impractical weapons (although I may call them stupid on a case-by-case basis) but in this case they're the spiky cherry on top of a whole lot of stupid gross :rolleyes: fantasy crap.

quote:

Yeah this is also a notorious design problem in some games.

Edit: VVV I just assume spiked chains are actually kusari-gama and built a ranger and rogue character using them in 4e.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 20, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kusari-gama are really cool and I wish that they were more viable in DND Games.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This made my morning, thank you.

"It was a cool move, though! :haw:"

Hero Yoshihiko is fantastic and I recommend it to all fantasy-gaming fans.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm assuming you mean the Dungeon World Guide. Scrape printed out a bunch on his own and distributed to stores in the Boston area to sell. I know Modern Myths in Northampton had a few pretty recently.

That said, I live in RI and there's only one store that really sells RPGs, and they're pretty new. They also don't carry a lot. Sometimes I'll drive to Northampton but it's a two-hour trip. Sarge's Comics in New London, CT, has an okay selection too, and is willing to stock newer stuff.
omg I currently live in Northampton, and now I know it has RARE GOODZ

GOING NOW

BUYING ALL COPIES

Evil Mastermind posted:

fake edit: HOLY poo poo THE HAVE A BUNCH OF TORG STUFF
A true hallmark of a place that has never gotten rid of their never-going-to-sell goods.

Though maybe the price of old TORG stuff will go up again once TORG ETERNITY comes out this summer???

I will never forget when I talked to the guy who briefly owned TORG at Gen-Con 2007? and he complained about there being a single book (Sourcebook: Tokyo) that he had zero copies of, even owning all of West End Games' former stock. So I tracked down a copy and bought it for him. He said "thanks" and put it behind his counter and ignored me. Cool guy

Payndz posted:

It's not so much high adventure as Hobbiton before Gandalf turns up.
Sign me up

DalaranJ posted:

I'm not sure why spiked chain usage always seems to be ascribed to psuedo-evil cultists rather than the more likely batshit insane wire-fu martial artists that looked at the nunchaku and said, "That's nice, but you didn't go far enough"
I thought spiked chain users were always large-sized or larger so that every PC would hate the spiked chain as a result of being disarmed at range?

Also I feel like the existence of Cheerful Spiked Latex Lady is enough to make me not want to play Pathfinder. Not that I needed many reasons. And I already played it so there is no going back now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just saw an ad for Dead Reign from Palladium in a bad comic (bad enough that you've never heard of the publisher) from earlier this year

It looks exactly like their 90s ads but with different art

That's not a good thing!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

omg I currently live in Northampton, and now I know it has RARE GOODZ

GOING NOW

BUYING ALL COPIES
I don't know if they still have copies; I didn't remember seeing any when I went a few months back.

Still, you should go there anyway because it's a good store.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I will never forget when I talked to the guy who briefly owned TORG at Gen-Con 2007? and he complained about there being a single book (Sourcebook: Tokyo) that he had zero copies of, even owning all of West End Games' former stock. So I tracked down a copy and bought it for him. He said "thanks" and put it behind his counter and ignored me. Cool guy
Eric Gibson, I presume? Your story sounds consistent with...how that whole situation shook out, yeah.

Edit: It also doesn't surprise me that he apparently didn't know how to order a cheap used copy from Abebooks.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 22, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Literally The Worst posted:

I just saw an ad for Dead Reign from Palladium in a bad comic (bad enough that you've never heard of the publisher) from earlier this year

It looks exactly like their 90s ads but with different art

At least it stands out? ...from professional ads, anyway...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alien Rope Burn posted:

At least it stands out? ...from professional ads, anyway...

and by being in a bad book nobody reads from a publisher you've never heard of who has exactly one name working there that im familiar with and its not a good one

as opposed to attracting an audience, i mean

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Halloween Jack posted:

Eric Gibson, I presume? Your story sounds consistent with...how that whole situation shook out, yeah.

Any chance you could expand on this story? TORG just kinda vanished one day from my point of view. It would be nice to know where it went.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of crazy 90's style advertising gambits. It it kosher to talk about Mark Rein*Hagen's latest marketing scheme here?

The heavily abridged version is he "admitted" to plagiarizing his latest game from a copy of some other game he found in a wisconsin warehouse abandoned since 1975 and was seeking funding help to publish the "original" version. After a bunch of people called him out on his bullshit he started obliquely making fun of people for not "getting the joke" and playing along because "that's how he rolls".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Honestly it just makes me angrier that I didn't act sooner on my fake blog that was going to expose Gygax and Arneson as hacks who stole D&D from an unknown designer.

I just wanted to piss off the OSR, and had no idea it would be proven true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

Any chance you could expand on this story? TORG just kinda vanished one day from my point of view. It would be nice to know where it went.

Eric Gibson sold off the rights to Torg after WEG folded like a paper boat and he had a pretty big RPGNet meltdown. The rights are currently with a German company called Ulisses Spiele, and they're selling PDFs of the original books on DriveThru.

There is a new edition planned for this year called "Torg Eternity", but we don't know anything about it yet.

• Locked thread