Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The Twelve was one of the rare changing places of the Underthing. It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to be itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true.

I get what you're trying to do but that doesn't change the fact that it is a book that he released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Srice posted:

Last year Kazou Ishiguro released a book for the first time in literally a decade and heck, I was glad of it.

Comparing a dude who writes single novels with a dude who is writing a series is silly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Writing is an easy job once you've got a hit. You don't have a boss, usually you don't have a deadline, you can roll out of bed and start typing ten feet away.

Writing wasn't an easy job for King when he was teaching and working another job while stressed as hell trying to make ends meet. But once Carrie sold it became the easiest job in the world.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I don't feel any entitlement to a new book, and am now at the point that I really don't care when it comes out. That said, Rothfuss could absolutely be handling this delay better. No matter how hard one might actually be working, actively appearing as though you're blowing off doing the work to play video games is incredibly stupid. I'm sure he's very genuinely busy, and that his extraneous projects and appearances are probably worthwhile in some way, but he's putting out an image of spinning his wheels and doing nothing.

I also just learned that he's been optioned for a TV show, a movie, and a video game, and negotiating all of that probably took up a decent enough deal of his time. This should probably light a fire under him to get the last book finished.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

But when we wait years longer than promised and TWMF is what we get...

By that metric, Doors of Stone is going to be PHENOMENALLY good.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I'm still filled with rage that Jan Emerson/Doris Egan never published a sequel to City of Diamond.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

anilEhilated posted:

I really don't get this kind of fan entitlement. Rothfuss is a hack, but for reasons that have nothing to do with him writing or not. He doesn't owe his readers anything.

If Rothfuss hadn't told us that the last book would be out in 2010, and that all of the trilogy was already written I'd agree with you. Instead, he slipped his own release date by 5 years and counting. But hey, Fallout 4!

quote:

April 18, 2007
When Will Book Two Be Out?
I just thought I might as well make a brief, public statement about this as a lot of people have been emailing and asking me about it lately.

*ahem*

The second and third books of the trilogy should be coming out fairly quickly, considering how long they are and the fact that I’m fairly obsessive when it comes to my writing. That means book two should be out about two years from now [2009]. Book three will be a year or so after that [2010].

Why so long? / I thought I read somewhere that you already had the second two books written?

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

In November 2012, Rothfuss thought he would have to "rush" to get Day 3 out by the end of 2013. You'd think two extra years would be enough to fix that "rush" problem. but apparently not. Hilariously, he later then said it "probably won't be 2015," which people in 2013 took to mean "2014" rather than "2016 or after I'm dead."

quote:

[Update: Pat has said in another interview that “It probably won’t be 2015, but it isn’t going to be this year as well.” Which means the release date for book 3 will probably be in 2014. — Just thought I’d add this is, since most of you have come here from trying to find the release date ;) ] – http://twit.tv/show/triangulation/99 at about 11:50

R: Alright, cause I have a post on anticipated fantasy novels of 2013, and I was hesitant about adding it on there.

P: I would be surprised if it came out in 2013. I would have to rush things, and I really don’t want to rush.
http://archeddoorway.com/2012/11/15/an-interview-with-patrick-rothfuss/

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna say that "twit.tv" is the perfect medium for him to appear in.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

By that metric, Doors of Stone is going to be PHENOMENALLY good.

Haha, never change jivjov.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I equate Rothfuss more to a Felicia Day- someone who rose to fame on decent accolades but maintains their fame by...... just being famous? It's weird.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Good use of his time.

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/689472527547019265

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ornamented Death posted:

The thing about Rothfuss is that he's a much better business man than he is a writer. Just look at what he's been able to leverage from a single fairly successful book. I suppose we should be thankful on some level that he's dedicated a lot of that acumen into charitable causes.

Also lets not forget that back in October there was news that Lionsgate got the rights to the Kingkiller books so any writing Rothfuss does is going to be for whatever movie/series Lionsgate is making. He's the next GRRM after all, and that means ignoring your books while film/tv series catches up and then surpasses it in the story, while making you a shitload more money than a book will.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lionsgate-wins-rights-fantasy-book-828557

If whatever they make does even moderately well he'll likely never write the next book because he'll probably shift all focus to film/tv/whatever instead since he'd likely make more money while having to do equal (or less) work if he's just overseeing the story that Lionsgate is writing up, like GRRM supposedly does for GoT.

anilEhilated posted:

I really don't get this kind of fan entitlement. Rothfuss is a hack, but for reasons that have nothing to do with him writing or not. He doesn't owe his readers anything.
Like, you could argue about dedication to work and their attitude or laziness or whatever but in the end that's their own problem to solve.

It's not fan entitlement to call a writer out on their bullshit. It happens in every other field and writers and artists are not special snowflakes who get to be exempt from criticism. Rothfuss is a guy who got lucky with a decent book, then followed it up with utter garbage but managed to be popular enough that he might rebound and will likely be set for life as long as Lionsgate puts out something.

SpacePig posted:

I also just learned that he's been optioned for a TV show, a movie, and a video game, and negotiating all of that probably took up a decent enough deal of his time. This should probably light a fire under him to get the last book finished.

Much like how the GoT series (and video games) lit a fire under GRRM's rear end and he wrote Winds of Winter much more quickly than ADWD?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Much like how the GoT series (and video games) lit a fire under GRRM's rear end and he wrote Winds of Winter much more quickly than ADWD?

I mean, it technically should. It seems like it was optioned for TV previously, though, so maybe not.

I'm not too big into GoT, but didn't the TV show force GMM's hand a little bit for Dance with Dragons in the first place?

Haha, christ. Being a writer and "world-builder" for a video game RPG certainly won't cut into his primary writing time at all, nosiree.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herossong/heros-song

I know that I should probably be giving him a bit more leeway or something since I don't know how hard writing and editing in a professional capacity might be. But maybe I'd have an easier time believing that this was a good idea if he showed at all that he's able to finish even one major project in a timely manner.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not fan entitlement to call a writer out on their bullshit. It happens in every other field and writers and artists are not special snowflakes who get to be exempt from criticism.

I don't think anyone is saying Rothfuss should be except from criticism, especially considering the poster you are quoting has been very critical of Rothfuss's actual writing.

The guy deserves criticism for being a dick to his fans, as well. But at the same time: if he decides he doesn't feel like writing books anymore and would rather just play videogames, he doesn't really deserve criticism for that - yes writing is his chosen field and all that, but if someone makes a bunch of money in their field and then doesn't feel like working for a while, that's on them, and there's nothing wrong with it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Earwicker posted:

yes writing is his chosen field and all that, but if someone makes a bunch of money in their field and then doesn't feel like working for a while, that's on them, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Unless you had said you were going to finish a project (which, per your statement, only needed some final rework) in your field by 2010 and then hosed off.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

I equate Rothfuss more to a Felicia Day- someone who rose to fame on decent accolades but maintains their fame by...... just being famous? It's weird.

Huh? Felicia Day has pretty constant acting gigs and produces a bunch of stuff herself. She maintains her fame by busting her rear end at the job that made her famous.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ulmont posted:

Unless you had said you were going to finish a project (which, per your statement, only needed some final rework) in your field by 2010 and then hosed off.

This is really only the business of someone's employer or someone they've entered into an actual contract with. I don't see why random fans or internet people deserve anything or should care.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Kchama posted:

Huh? Felicia Day has pretty constant acting gigs and produces a bunch of stuff herself. She maintains her fame by busting her rear end at the job that made her famous.

I might have missed the mark on that one, I admit. Who is someone who is famous for an initial reason and then only maintains their fame because they were famous before?

Carrottop?

Patrick Rothfuss is Carrottop.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I would seriously rather him just come out and say that Doors of Stone isn't coming out, and that the Kingkiller series is finished, rather than have him keep saying that the 3rd book is already done, for real, just stuck getting edited. If he's sick of writing it, he should come out and says as much. It's okay if he's burnt out on writing about Kvothe, or just genuinely doesn't care as much as he did when he started. That's fine. Just be honest about it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Earwicker posted:

I don't think anyone is saying Rothfuss should be except from criticism, especially considering the poster you are quoting has been very critical of Rothfuss's actual writing.

The guy deserves criticism for being a dick to his fans, as well. But at the same time: if he decides he doesn't feel like writing books anymore and would rather just play videogames, he doesn't really deserve criticism for that - yes writing is his chosen field and all that, but if someone makes a bunch of money in their field and then doesn't feel like working for a while, that's on them, and there's nothing wrong with it.

If he doesn't feel like writing any more that's fine. If he doesn't feel like writing any more but just won't admit it and instead continues to act like he's writing or going to then he deserves to get poo poo on for it. If he came out and said "yeah I'm done with the books, sorry guys I have other poo poo I want to do" then he'd get hate briefly and people would move on.

Earwicker posted:

This is really only the business of someone's employer or someone they've entered into an actual contract with. I don't see why random fans or internet people deserve anything or should care.

If you can't understand why people don't like being lied to then so be it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SpacePig posted:

I mean, it technically should. It seems like it was optioned for TV previously, though, so maybe not.

I'm not too big into GoT, but didn't the TV show force GMM's hand a little bit for Dance with Dragons in the first place?

From what I gather, Dance of Dragons was simply the two thirds of the book he had already written, with the true ending of DoD pushed into WoW. The fans were a little bit unhappy about that...

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I would seriously rather him just come out and say that Doors of Stone isn't coming out, and that the Kingkiller series is finished,

tbh it would really own to not have to force myself to read that book due to sunk-cost fallacy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Most authors in general don't exactly willingly lie about release dates.

poo poo happens and I'm sure when he initially said 2010 he believed it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Srice posted:

How about being done with a book to begin with?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Srice posted:

poo poo happens and I'm sure when he initially said 2010 he believed it.

Not exactly a shining endorsement of someone's writing if they believed they were done with a book in 2010 but what was written needed 5+ years of work to make it worth publishing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Haha, christ. Being a writer and "world-builder" for a video game RPG certainly won't cut into his primary writing time at all, nosiree.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herossong/heros-song
Holy poo poo this looks bad. It's made in RPG maker, has all the modern buzzwords ("open-world", "roguelike", "crafting") and the most generic setting possible.
What I'm saying is this looks horrible even without Rothfuss on the team.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Benson Cunningham posted:

I might have missed the mark on that one, I admit. Who is someone who is famous for an initial reason and then only maintains their fame because they were famous before?

Carrottop?

Patrick Rothfuss is Carrottop.

Anyone who got famous by being on a reality show, these are people who are literally famous for being famous.

And the Kardashians.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

How about being done with a book to begin with?

Being "done" with a trilogy written in highschool/college is a very different concept from being done with 3 professionally written and edited, mass-market releasable novels.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Holy poo poo this looks bad. It's made in RPG maker, has all the modern buzzwords ("open-world", "roguelike", "crafting") and the most generic setting possible.
What I'm saying is this looks horrible even without Rothfuss on the team.

How can it be open-world AND roguelike? Aren't they different in some pretty fundamental ways?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm not sure how people don't get the difference between people ragging on an author for not finishing their next book when it's a series versus it being standalone works. People "bought into" a series of books telling a single story and it's pretty lovely to just leave them hanging now that you got that money.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How can it be open-world AND roguelike? Aren't they different in some pretty fundamental ways?

Pretty much, they're buzzwords but also roguelike allows you to not have to craft as much content. It's pretty lazy if your game design doesn't call for it (open world doesn't).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly have no loving idea. Possibly because it generates the worlds procedurally?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm not sure how people don't get the difference between people ragging on an author for not finishing their next book when it's a series versus it being standalone works. People "bought into" a series of books telling a single story and it's pretty lovely to just leave them hanging now that you got that money.

We are not owed Doors of Stone on any explicit timetable. Has Rothfuss promised and then missed release windows? Yes. But thus far he is still committed to releasing the book. When it gets officially cancelled or he drops dead without releasing it, then get mad about the story not being finished.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

jivjov posted:

We are not owed Doors of Stone on any explicit timetable. Has Rothfuss promised and then missed release windows? Yes. But thus far he is still committed to releasing the book. When it gets officially cancelled or he drops dead without releasing it, then get mad about the story not being finished.

He is not owed our forgiveness or is immune to criticism for anything. It's entirely fair to criticize him for being ridiculous slow at writing. And people are more mad at him for lying about it a lot.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

jivjov posted:

greetings, patrick. please don't finish the book.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jivjov posted:

I don't even care about "distractions" like playing the horrible Fallout 4, even having a life and stuff the book shoulda been done ages ago. Again, writing once you've "made it" is the easiest job you can have.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't even care about "distractions" like playing the horrible Fallout 4, even having a life and stuff the book shoulda been done ages ago. Again, writing once you've "made it" is the easiest job you can have.

You still don't know a drat thing about being a professional author.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Have you ever been able to criticize a thing you like in any way?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

jivjov posted:

Well, neither do you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Have you ever been able to criticize a thing you like in any way?

Yes.

HIJK posted:

Well, neither do you.

I know enough to not say "Hurr durr its the easiest job in the world!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jivjov posted:

As someone who writes for leisure since I know I'll probably never hit the lottery that is being a successful author, I can imagine pretty well how easy it is to write whatever I want without putting in eight hours a day at a job or having to worry about my bills and such.

• Locked thread