Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Basically you probably want to look at the format for specific advice.
At least one Kozilek in standard makes sense to me. The cards complement each other well and 'infinite obliteration naming Ulamog' is definitely a thing in standard. You can also tutor it up with Sanctum in matchups where it's better.

In modern I'm unsure. Ulamog is probably enough to win most of the time but maybe you'd be glad to have a Kozilek to search in some matchups.

The deck that plays Ulamog and Kozilek is probably running 5-7 guys who will trigger a search off of Eugene's Sanctum (Eugene himself + World Breaker). Most of the time you just go looking for Kozilek because Kozilek refills your hand and probably gives you Ulamog if you don't have him to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really interesting in seeing how this Eldrazi deck shakes out, I just really hope that it doesn't completely supplant tron b/c I made the terrible mistake of not buying a full playset of ulamogs and eugene lands, while I did manage to get GR tron at a cheap price by timing the MM2 window correctly

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

jassi007 posted:

Draft as a concept didn't exist when I started playing, let alone BREAD. I guess I'm just trying to imagine the new player that doesn't get discouraged spending a lot of money on drafts to lose over and over. If I really was trying to figure out how to draft and break into it I'd rather put in time than money. I like listening to podcasts and reading websites, that how I learn every game I play. I've read about and watched more games of X-Wing TMG than I've played them. I guess I'm a grognard?

I can really only speak to my experience in the last year of getting back into things but when I played originally draft did not exist and then I read all this stuff about it now and it's like doing a college level course just to play magic with kids at a game store. I tried it once, it wasn't much fun cause I didn't know what I was doing and most of the online stuff is absurdly detailed assuming you wanna go pro and win at all costs bullshit. So I tried it and I declined to keep at it until someone showed me the BREAD concept.

Now I'm at least 40-50% winrate, it's not intimidating and most of the time when I lose it's just because I don't execute properly, not because I drafted a stack of poo poo and I don't know what I'm doing. In an ideal world someone would create a nice pneumonic device with Synergy as a top two or three concept (bombs seem to me to still be the most important in the moment decision and synergy ideas come after once you've at least seen the first round of packs to know either what your opponents are likely trying for or you can try for) but I know for sure it helped me as-is significantly.

I'm attempting to get good enough by the NYC Grand Prix to not be embarrassing, and again I can only say things personally here but doing drafts even if I lose teaches me a lot more than listening to a guy who plays professionally for a living tell me what works for him.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Literally The Worst posted:

Someone in the local EDH Facebook group asked if the change to the mana generation rule in EDH (mana generated that's outside of your commanders color identity no longer changes to colorless) meant you could ignore color identity altogether for deck building, and was disappointed this wasn't the case

I hate them and I hate that I have to pay any form of attention to them again

Yeah man, I want to play Kiki Jiki as my commander and be able to run Pestermite and Deceiver Exarch with Worldly Tutor and Chord of Calling.

That sounds like a fun time for everyone.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Cactrot posted:

Good lord yes, I lived like a mile away from Card Exchange but would much rather truck to Ballard or the Eastside to not play in such a garbage environment.

having recently moved to the seattle area i'm not sure why you'd play anywhere except mbh/ck unless the other store is < 5 minutes from wherever you live. also late to brainstorm chat but it was really good in counter rebels.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Telex posted:

Now I'm at least 40-50% winrate, it's not intimidating and most of the time when I lose it's just because I don't execute properly, not because I drafted a stack of poo poo and I don't know what I'm doing. In an ideal world someone would create a nice pneumonic device with Synergy as a top two or three concept (bombs seem to me to still be the most important in the moment decision and synergy ideas come after once you've at least seen the first round of packs to know either what your opponents are likely trying for or you can try for) but I know for sure it helped me as-is significantly.

This is a good point. BREAD has been around since we had doom blades and terminates.

In the era of 4B sorcery "target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn", perhaps it's time to reevaluate the relative value of "removal".

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

deftest posted:

This is a good point. BREAD has been around since we had doom blades and terminates.

In the era of 4B sorcery "target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn", perhaps it's time to reevaluate the relative value of "removal".

From this point on, the priority is:

BEARD.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

I don't think this holds up well in modern set design. You could draft all the "bombs" you wanted in triple BFZ but if I draft a UR synergy deck I'll most likely wipe the floor with you because your deck has 2 good cards and mine has 23 mediocre cards that combine to do awesome poo poo. Also aggro is completey busted in some sets (origins) and non-existent in others (ROE) Go ahead and draft all the 2cmc 2/2's you want in ROE. Modern draft really, really is made with the idea that you examine the set and think about how many colors the set is wanting you to play, what the major mechanics are and how decks with them will work, and what each color pairing wants to do. Almost every draft set is designed around drafting 2 colors, Khans was also even though they expect you to go 3. Khans was built around drafting an enemy color pair then splashing a 3rd color. The key to success was to realize they want you to draft BW then decide if your aggro mardu or midrange abzan, or UG morph or UG delve with temor or sultai etc. etc.

BREAD is ok but I'm pretty sure there are formats where following the menumonic will lead you to having a sub 50% win rate.
It is definitely still a fine thing to do in modern sets. And as mentioned, B isn't just bombs but bombs and synergies because - as you mentioned - there's something to be said for one big fat card that can win but also for a bunch of cards that can work well together. Often, these things go hand in hand (ie. you pick up a bomb and then focus on synergy picks to support an archetype of theme it fits into). I do agree that the value of aggro definitely waxes and wanes with sets as you mentioned, and it is certainly less valuable in some sets than others.

BREAD is simply a great starting place for anyone who is just getting into limited. More advanced drafting - like draft set evaluation, sending and receiving signals at table, etc. - all come with time and practice. Until you can get those reps in, BREAD is a fine primer and if you've not been drafting according to anything it will at the very least boost your performance while you learn.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BREAD, CARBS, both make you fat.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Think it might be BE RAD :cool:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

deftest posted:

My experience so far is that even if your removal is a three mana mediocre combat trick you still generally end up running it and being glad to have it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I saw on my Timehop that today 2 years ago I got my first 3-0 in draft. I re-started at the M14 prerelease in July so I guess it took my going to FNM about 20-24 FNMs drafting for me to get the 3-0, which isn't that bad when I think about it. But I went way in on Magic that fall after like Theros Game Day, so I had probably watched a lot of pro draft videos by then too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

deftest posted:

Creature quality in general is high enough I will still take Demon's Grasp over non-bomby creatures with Menace or something. But, yeah, I see guys losing with decks with 10-12 creatures or something all of the time.

I think the key takeaway I got from prerelease is that I'm going to generally avoid the aggressive archetypes in this format. There's just way too many 1/3, 1/4s and 2/3s for pokey Eldrazi X/1 guys to get there.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 19, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Yea Demon's Grasp wasn't exciting but it was still the best 5-drop at common. I would never cut one except for mana-curve reasons.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
My removal for pre-release was hilariously awesome.

3x of the 4 mana "Exile target creature" spell.

Drew out some real good groans from my opponents when I'd take away their sole flying blocker to let my Drana get through. :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Drew out some real good groans from my opponents when I'd take away their sole flying blocker to let my Drana get through. :v:

Yeah, I had two of them plus a third Smite the Monstrous in my white black allies deck. Just fill the board and then end whatever is a tad too big to deal with. The double sucker punch with removal on two giant eldrazi in a row was usually enough to end the game on the spot from how far behind they fell in tempo.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
What are everyone's thoughts on Dimensional Infiltrator? It's an interesting card I think, it has a very narrow range of application but I think there are certain roles it could fill very well. Primarily I've been liking it in the Ghostfire Blade deck that I am goddamn determined to make work. The threat of being able to bounce it to dodge removal, even if on average the odds of it's ability hitting a land are less than 50%, is enough to make opponents generally not want to try in the first place. I love that it has flash too, between it and Ulamog's Nullifier it gives a counter-aggro strategy the options at instant speed it needs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

jassi007 posted:

I guess I'm just trying to imagine the new player that doesn't get discouraged spending a lot of money on drafts to lose over and over.
Imagine literally every new player of anything ever. Losing is just part of getting better; you lost a shitload when you started, as did I, as did everyone else. The great thing about draft is that you can pick up a pile of poo poo and still win a game or two, and drafting itself is kind of fun. What I'm struggling with is the idea of a totally new player who hasn't spent any money on the game watching 20+ hours of magic podcasts and reading piles of magic blogs so that when he finally makes the incredible investment of $15 he can draft like a pro and win out - and then actually does so despite having only theoretical knowledge of the format and the players.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No repeats of PV v Finkel from the last Pro Tour. PT Oath will have all top 8 matches be a best of 5.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/pro-tour-top-8-best-five-matches-return-2016-01-19

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

stinkles1112 posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on Dimensional Infiltrator? It's an interesting card I think, it has a very narrow range of application but I think there are certain roles it could fill very well. Primarily I've been liking it in the Ghostfire Blade deck that I am goddamn determined to make work. The threat of being able to bounce it to dodge removal, even if on average the odds of it's ability hitting a land are less than 50%, is enough to make opponents generally not want to try in the first place. I love that it has flash too, between it and Ulamog's Nullifier it gives a counter-aggro strategy the options at instant speed it needs.

I milled someone out with it in the finals of the 2HG pre-release. :getin:
If you can make 2-3 colorless per turn it does eventually just win the game on a stalled board.

Oh wait, constructed? Nah, it's probably not high impact enough to be good. You can't actualyl rely on it being able to protect itself.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, the Oath release is on my birthday, so I'm obviously heading down there for that. Plus, a promo Endbringer. I've got what I need to know about Limited, at least. Now im just wondering if I should head down for FNM. There's a Commander freeplay event going on beforehand, I could bring what exists of my deck down and see how it does, get a bite to eat, then do FNM. Or I could just hit up the Commander event. Fortunately, you have given me a lot of advice on what not to do.\ so I'm not running in blind like last time...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think the scaling back of common removal is an attempt to flatten the power level of commons. The best commons in BFZ are still mostly removal spells (Complete Disregard, Touch of the Void, Clutch of Currents) but Eldrazi Skyspawner is on about the same level.

Really the comparison kindof highlights how overpoweredremoval used to be in drafts. Eldrazi Skyspawner is a borderline standard-playable card based on its raw stats, and it's also on-theme for UW fliers and UR devoid, two of the better decks. Yet it's still fairly close between it and relatively mediocre common removal.

e: I guess it is complicated by the fact that Complete Disregard and Touch of the Void are both good synergy cards as well as removal spells

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think the scaling back of common removal is an attempt to flatten the power level of commons. The best commons in BFZ are still mostly removal spells (Complete Disregard, Touch of the Void, Clutch of Currents) but Eldrazi Skyspawner is on about the same level.

Really the comparison kindof highlights how overpoweredremoval used to be in drafts. Eldrazi Skyspawner is a borderline standard-playable card based on its raw stats, and it's also on-theme for UW fliers and UR devoid, two of the better decks. Yet it's still fairly close between it and relatively mediocre common removal.

e: I guess it is complicated by the fact that Complete Disregard and Touch of the Void are both good synergy cards as well as removal spells

Looking back at something like 10th Edition, where a Bx deck could be rocking 10+ good removal spells and you start to appreciate common and uncommon being toned down, if not to the extent it has been recently.

Assasinate and Terror at common, Cruel Edict at uncommon and some more narrow removal options across the rarities. And that's one color.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean you generally get one good removal spell at common now and some mediocre ones. Like there's a strictly better Assassinate in BFZ and it's definitely one of the worse common removal spells.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I miss powerful common removal because playing with inexperienced players you'd sometimes get insane draft pulls like 3x Oblivion Ring in Lorwyn draft.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I miss powerful common removal because playing with inexperienced players you'd sometimes get insane draft pulls like 3x Oblivion Ring in Lorwyn draft.

3x Silkbind Faerie :getin:

but also

2x Oona (how)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
A 2/1 flash flyer for 2 mana is good enough to see play in standard if there's a blue tempo shell for it to live in. The activated ability is just a bonus for a long game to potentially dodge removal for free.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Another card I think could be really good soon, and certainly post-rotation, is Herald of Kozilek. There are so many cards that get stupid good when you knock a mana off the cost.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

but also

2x Oona (how)

My Eventide prerelease deck had 3 Ballynock Trapper, Silkbind Faerie, 2 Recumbent Bliss, Unmake

That might still be the best limited deck I've ever played

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zoness posted:

but also

2x Oona (how)
Nothing will ever top going p1p1 Thoughtseize, p1p2 Cryptic Command for me.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Entropic posted:

I liked Origins for being the most straight-forward draft set in recent memory. It got a lot of people at my LGS into drafting because they were able to feel like they were actually figuring out the format and learning how to properly make picks that mattered. And then they got dropped in the deep end with BFZ...

I would think that Origins would be a pretty bad beginning set just because it's full of traps and is very punishing if don't draft it correctly. They had all of these neat themes like B/G Elves, R/U Artifacts, etc and all of them are terrible. You want to build a cool U/B self mill graveyard zombie reanimation deck? You will lose to white and red two drops. It's sort of like Gatecrash in that it's a format ruled by 2 drops. You must play something on turn two, and if you don't, you fall so far behind. I thought it was the worst format since Avacyn.

Learning from Origins and then going straight to something like Zendikar would be pretty confusing, where aggro is fairly weak and you absolutely must have a synergistic deck to win.

I think Theros was the best beginners set in recent history because even though it introduced new mechanics, they were all straight forward and all of the synergies and ideas were clear and decently powerful.

Yawgmoth posted:

Nothing will ever top going p1p1 Thoughtseize, p1p2 Cryptic Command for me.

In Theros, I had P1P1 Thoughtseize, P1P2 Hero's Downfall, P1P3 and P4 Grey Merchants. That was a silly draft.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Cernunnos posted:

That card and the Eldrazi Displacer I got let me stall a lot of games for a very long time.

I just wish I'd pulled more useful rares. Call of the Gatewatch, General Tazri and a Wandering Fumarole without any real reason to play red or blue kinda sucked overall in my game. Trying again this weekend maybe will get me some better luck.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
It's sad when you can google an email you received and find that the issue is a common enough occurrence that it gets a form letter.

quote:

Hi,

Thank you for your continued patience, and I apologize for the delays you have experienced. We would be happy to send a replacement of your order for you! Before I do, could I please verify your shipping address? Sometimes our computer hiccups and causes address glitches.

Thank you, and I apologize again for the delay. I will work to get this to you as quickly as possible!

Alaura Mae
General Manager
Green Lake Games

And after my address reply:

quote:

I am sorry your order did not arrive in the expected time frame. I have just repackaged your order personally and will send it out with tomorrow's post.

I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to make your experience shopping with us positive.

Thank you,
Alaura Mae
General Manager
Green Lake Games

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you were to sum up good Origins drafting strategy in 3 words it would probably be "don't get fancy".

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Alternate: "More 2 drops"

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

kizudarake posted:

It's sad when you can google an email you received and find that the issue is a common enough occurrence that it gets a form letter.

And after my address reply:

Wonder if Dan Tibbles still runs that store ...

Also, it's nice to have such a glut of stores that we can say screw it to so many (I usually only go to MBH/CK anymore, unless I travel down to Lacey or something).

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

En Fuego posted:

Also, it's nice to have such a glut of stores that we can say screw it to so many (I usually only go to MBH/CK anymore, unless I travel down to Lacey or something).
Yeah he still runs it. Managed to salvage his wpn accreditation too. As I said, patronization is down though.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

En Fuego posted:

Per that email and her Google+, living MySpace angle Alaura Mae is in charge.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah he still runs it. Managed to salvage his wpn accreditation too. As I said, patronization is down though.

Well, he certainly has a history in this town.

Their saving grace is the 21+ prereleases at St. Andrews, but I couldn't be bothered to show up for a foil Hedron Alignment this go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
So I just did a price check on affinity based on the bannings and..

This just in, Arcbound Ravager $100 (or $50.59 tcg mid)!

I think it's time to cash out of modern. My $350 deck has tripled its networth since mid-2013.

• Locked thread