Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

why are pizza guts a thing anyway

a slice of cheese should only be 250 cal right

the biggest lobby fighting restaurant food labels is Big Pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

why are pizza guts a thing anyway

a slice of cheese should only be 250 cal right

a slice of two of pizza (depending) is usually little more than a slightly unhealthy normal meal

but then the issue is people eating whole pizzas, which can go up to 3000+ calories easily

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/689510106015371264

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This is beautiful. Thanks.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Isis Pharamaceuticals was a company that changed its name to Ionis Pharmaceuticals for obvious reasons. If they were smart Isis or some offshoot would issue a press release that their new name was Ionis.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is there a "heroin epidemic" thread? These numbers are in the car-crash-death range.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/07/us/drug-overdose-deaths-in-the-us.html

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

The Warszawa posted:

watching y'all talk pizza is like lawyers

fuckin bad

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yes wario?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pangstrom posted:

Isis Pharamaceuticals was a company that changed its name to Ionis Pharmaceuticals for obvious reasons. If they were smart Isis or some offshoot would issue a press release that their new name was Ionis.

*Ionis Parmaceuticals CEO reads a story about the rise of the brutal Islamic Oligarchic Neo-Irredentist State.*

"Oh come on, ffs"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

butterface

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

wearing pants, must skip leg day

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So you're saying you'd do M'Om

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Sharkie posted:

This is beautiful. Thanks.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

pangstrom posted:

Is there a "heroin epidemic" thread? These numbers are in the car-crash-death range.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/07/us/drug-overdose-deaths-in-the-us.html
During the debate my parents asked me where this "heroin epidemic" had come from since they remember heroin as something from the 80's. The answer is quite literally "white people":

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/30/us/31heroin-deaths.html

quote:

Heroin-related deaths jumped 39 percent from 2012 to 2013, and the longer-term trends are equally disturbing: from 2002 to 2013, the rate of heroin-related overdose deaths nearly quadrupled, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Researchers have found that prior to the 1980s, whites and nonwhites were equally represented among first-time heroin users. But that’s changed as heroin use has expanded across other parts of the country.

Now, nearly 90 percent of the people who tried heroin for the first time in the past decade were white. And a growing number are middle-class or wealthy.

In a July report, the CDC found “significant increases in heroin use were found in groups with historically low rates of heroin use, including women and people with private insurance and higher incomes. The gaps between men and women, low and higher incomes, and people with Medicaid and private insurance have narrowed in the past decade.”
Now that Heroin affects middle class white people, it's suddenly an epidemic and we need to take a look at our drug laws and throwing people in jail for shitloads of time.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
west coast stimulant supremacy!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

fade5 posted:

During the debate my parents asked me where this "heroin epidemic" had come from since they remember heroin as something from the 80's. The answer is quite literally "white people":

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/30/us/31heroin-deaths.html

Now that Heroin affects middle class white people, it's suddenly an epidemic and we need to take a look at our drug laws and throwing people in jail for shitloads of time.

We only do things when they effect white people, yes.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
This also explains why we hadn't heard poo poo about it here in Texas, Heroin and Opiates are a northeast/Appalachia thing. (Plus Illinois, I'm assuming because of Chicago.)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

fade5 posted:

This also explains why we hadn't heard poo poo about it here in Texas, Heroin and Opiates are a northeast/Appalachia thing. (Plus Illinois, I'm assuming because of Chicago.)

Lot of poor white people in southern Illinois.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's mostly pill-addicts going to heroin, as doctors have semi-stopped handing out opiate scrips like idiots, so pills are harder to find/super-expensive.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We only do things when they effect white people, yes.
Well yeah, but we hadn't expected the answer to be so drat blatant: "Now, nearly 90 percent of the people who tried heroin for the first time in the past decade were white. And a growing number are middle-class or wealthy."

No giant hunting and searching for the answer, just pause the debate for 5 minutes to find a map and that story.

It's like gently caress, so apparently we just need to get even more middle class white people hooked on drugs to fix our broken drugs laws.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

we only really cracked down on opiate pill mill doctors in like the past couple of years and it is pretty alarming how quickly it has spiked

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

fade5 posted:

Well yeah, but we hadn't expected the answer to be so drat blatant: "Now, nearly 90 percent of the people who tried heroin for the first time in the past decade were white. And a growing number are middle-class or wealthy."

No giant hunting and searching for the answer, just pause the debate for 5 minutes to find a map and that story.

It's like gently caress, so apparently we just need to get even more middle class white people hooked on drugs to fix our broken drugs laws.

It's because, thanks to Afghanistan, the poo poo is dirt cheap. You can get Heroin cheaper than you can get weed in some places, it's insane.

Berke Negri posted:

we only really cracked down on opiate pill mill doctors in like the past couple of years and it is pretty alarming how quickly it has spiked

That's a big part of it too.

My mother is an RN for a hospice care company, and she said it's super depressing how often she has to tell people that if she comes back one more time and pills are missing she's going to have to turn them in; which she doesn't like to do because it usually only ends up hurting the person dying who needs the pain medications and not their poo poo heel children/grandchildren.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's dolly parton's birthday today

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
someday they'll catch that dragon

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

lol @ the Silent Majority of Marijuana

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Badger of Basra posted:

are you hype

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
is it even possible to smoke enough weed to overdose on it? maybe edibles you could

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

are you hype

af

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

what is your favorite dolly song

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

your shaman tell you that as you stroked your goatee?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Aeryk posted:

is it even possible to smoke enough weed to overdose on it? maybe edibles you could
You can in the Maureen Dowd sense but you can't really kill yourself with it.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The dude in South America said don't eat the whole cookie. So we ate the whole cookie anyways.

Blitzed as gently caress. Swear it had Special K or something in it.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

he is the weedy sorcerer to my mighty barbarian

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

what is your favorite dolly song

you weren't asking me but, Jolene.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sharkie posted:

you weren't asking me but, Jolene.

:hifve:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Aeryk posted:

you'd die from hypoxia or smoke inhalation long before that happened

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

1. I was joking about the shaman thing, jesus christ guys did you actually think i was suggesting venomsake seriously go on an ayahuasca trip
2. I shaved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao