Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm sorry for probably enabling that with my sexism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mallamp posted:

I love Roth, but in a world where you have to (at least pretend to) be feminist to be part of 'intelligentsia', it's quite a push to call him "objectively great/canon" author. Same with Updike.

mallamp posted:

Fun Home has pretty good story (I'm not even that feminist/interested in lbgt stuff),

mallamp posted:

You must be WHITE MALE without A VAGINA who just MALEGAZED it through and didn't get it. You probably vote for Donald Trump too and your grandfather is secretly Hitler.

mallamp posted:

It does break my heart that this internet discussion forum Something Awful is so patriarchal. That registration fee for staters. Should be 7,5-8$ for women.
We are all radical feminists in our hearts bro.
you won't believe these extremely Woke opinions about the Matriarchy from Real Literature Poster mallamp

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mallamp posted:

It does break my heart that this internet discussion forum Something Awful is so patriarchal. That registration fee for staters. Should be 7,5-8$ for women.

go back to gbs

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you won't believe these extremely Woke opinions about the Matriarchy from Real Literature Poster mallamp

lol

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

Chamberk posted:

ACTUALLY, i understand that they're important but it can be frustrating when the narrative and characters are put aside for 30 pages to talk about different parts of the whale. i'm not saying Melville did a bad job, it's just that reading this book requires a bit more work and some adjustment from my usual expectations for a story.

Do you man. It's a valid complaint. As Mamet said: The schoolmaster’s bad enough in the schoolroom; I prefer to keep him out of my bookshelf.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mallamp posted:

Let's not be crass and dumb.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its too late for us... the book readers... the... the feminists have taken over...

Please mallamp, flee

flee and tell the... others...

Go...warn... the... ggaaammmeeerrrssss

mewse
May 2, 2006

What do you guys think about GamerGate?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mewse posted:

I think it has no place in this thread

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mewse posted:

Big fan of ants

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think it has no place in this thread

It's place is in the kitchen

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hey guys remember when they made a video game out of Dante's Inferno, a book that doesn't even have action in an Aristotlean sense

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hey guys remember when they made a video game out of Dante's Inferno, a book that doesn't even have action in an Aristotlean sense

Remember when EA paid some actors to protest Dante's Inferno at E3 to drum up interest in a game no one has ever given a poo poo about

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Remember when EA paid some actors to protest Dante's Inferno at E3 to drum up interest in a game no one has ever given a poo poo about

Cleopatra shot snakes out of her nips

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

at the date posted:

Quit Being a loving Child

e: in the middle of The Blind Assassin rn and feel the same way about the eponymous embedded sci-fi story always getting interrupted by old lady problems, but you're not supposed to say these things in the Literahchah thread.

Blind Assassin is my favorite Atwood by far but the present-day "Iris is old" parts are wayyy less interesting than the sci-fi story or the story from the past. Still, it all comes together rather beautifully at the end there - while I like Atwood's sci-fi a good bit, I thought this was her masterpiece.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Remember I'm 17yo frat boy irl, you can't blame me for what I am bros

mewse posted:

One thing I dislike more than radical feminists is neckbeards who complain about women in their retarded inferior entertainment form
Actually I like some radical feminists if someone Camille Paglia counts as one I don't know, is Joyce Carol Oates feminist? She's hella cool

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got so mad about that when I heard. The Divine Comedy is a masterpiece amongst masterpieces, that could have been turned into a beautiful and atmospheric game, and you decide to make another God of War clone?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I'm holding out for their action-packed Dante's Paradiso. They're already calling it the GTA of the Spheres.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Press X to lament the story of Ugolino

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

whatI remember from that game is that it was trying way too hard to be edgy and satan had a massive D

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

god dammit I forgot how many books come out in January. I am trying to keep to my big book plan but there are four books out in the first three weeks of the year I already want to read.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm not very good at paying attention to whats coming out

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

I'm not very good at paying attention to whats coming out

So far we got

My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
Your Heart is a Muscle the Size of a Fist - Sunil Yapa
What Belongs to You - Garth Greenwell
The Crooked House - Christobel Kent

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The shack had a pristine copy of The Man Without Qualities, it'd have been a steal if I've not already got a copy on my bedstand I've been diligently ignoring.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Never heard of any of those. I'm back to A Little Life after a month or so of sperging out to wizards and space ships

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Never heard of any of those.

Gotta up your game son

good resources to have you finger on that pulse

https://www.npr.org/books
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/index.html
https://www.nytimes.com/section/books/review

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
my library sucks. the only semi-new books they have are Fates and Furies and Between the World and Me, which each have a 3 month waiting period.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WatermelonGun posted:

my library sucks. the only semi-new books they have are Fates and Furies and Between the World and Me, which each have a 3 month waiting period.

There's worse libraries. My sister forgot about a bookmark in the Hunchback of Notre Dame when she returned it. When she borrowed it again after a year had passed the bookmark was still there untouched.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

State funded universities require their libraries to allow state residents to use their services, often for a small registration fee.

If there is a state funded university near you, sign up for their library and you can use the global CAT

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Chamberk posted:

Blind Assassin is my favorite Atwood by far but the present-day "Iris is old" parts are wayyy less interesting than the sci-fi story or the story from the past. Still, it all comes together rather beautifully at the end there - while I like Atwood's sci-fi a good bit, I thought this was her masterpiece.

I think Cat's Eye is probs her masterpiece. It's even less sci-fi (it has a little bit of the Slaughterhouse Five-style 'unstuck in time' stuff, that's about it) but as a chronicle of abusive friendships and horribly scarring girlhoods, it's second to none.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 19, 2016

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I'm reading Atwood's survival: a thematic guide to Canadian lit. In the preface and introduction she comes off as a giant wanker but she is a great writer so I can deal with it. I do prefer Alice Munro though!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lumius posted:

I do prefer Alice Munro though!

That is the correct opinion.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So far we got

My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
I read this yesterday in one sitting, it's really short. I have read and liked all of Strout's books, especially Olive Kitteridge, but I did not really enjoy Lucy Barton.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Lumius posted:

I'm reading Atwood's survival: a thematic guide to Canadian lit. In the preface and introduction she comes off as a giant wanker but she is a great writer so I can deal with it. I do prefer Alice Munro though!

As a Canadian I can safely say the best way to get into Canadian Lit is to forget about 99% of it entirely and just act like you've read the palatable other 1%. :hfive:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

war and peace volume 2 sure ended on a dramatic note.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I love Atwood, and/but my favorite of hers is Alias Grace, in which she is at her least Atwoodian. (Conversely, my other favorite of hers -- The Robber Bride -- is tied with The Blind Assassin for being the most Atwoodian, but mostly in just the Roz chapters, so it's bearable.)

And by Atwoodian I mean that particular tone which you find irritating in the Iris chapters in The Blind Assassin. That's like distilled essence of Atwood right there, and her writing is better when she keeps that poo poo in check.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A Little Life :stonk:

Everyone should read this book. I'll post a long carepost once I've finished. Also read City on Fire.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

Jeep posted:

As a Canadian I can safely say the best way to get into Canadian Lit is to forget about 99% of it entirely and just act like you've read the palatable other 1%. :hfive:

Cananda has one of the best lit scenes: Heather O'Neill, David Mcgimpsey, Guillaume Morissette, Spencer Gordon, and Arjun Basu are all cool/interesting writers. Canada's been crushing the US in recent years.

e: forgot to mention Christian loving Bök who wrote a poem in DNA.

iccyelf fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

A Little Life :stonk:

Everyone should read this book. I'll post a long carepost once I've finished. Also read City on Fire.

That's what I've heard to.

Should I do City or Little Life next after Elena Ferrante?