Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of my dream games is a free form super hero game. Something like City of Heroes level of power sets, but customization to an insane point, and then you could either do actual missions or just run around an open world. You could totally choose to be good or bad as well.

Setting it in the Marvel universe would enable you do things like have your character be a mutant or inhuman, along with the normal super science, alien or other options. Being a Mutant would add a whole new aspect to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

One was, like, shadow manipulation, one was gravity I think, and the other might have just been generic laser blasts.

The idea of letting you create your own X-Man is actually kind of cool, it was just done in the most bare-bones way possible. Like, if they'd done it in a more Bioware or Bethesda way, where you make a complete custom dude or lady and have dialogue trees and such, it could be fun.

That was the intent it was just that production was a mess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So how's the writing been dealing with OML? Are they just treating him as old Logan or 'hey its that fake old alternate reality logan'?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SynthOrange posted:

So how's the writing been dealing with OML? Are they just treating him as old Logan or 'hey its that fake old alternate reality logan'?

Just a Logan that came from a different reality.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

One was, like, shadow manipulation, one was gravity I think, and the other might have just been generic laser blasts.

The idea of letting you create your own X-Man is actually kind of cool, it was just done in the most bare-bones way possible. Like, if they'd done it in a more Bioware or Bethesda way, where you make a complete custom dude or lady and have dialogue trees and such, it could be fun.

Shadows, energy projection, and geokinesis. You also got to copy X-Men powers that could function differently for each power and costumes inspired by characters

The problem was they were all random drops so you could just get a bunch of useless poo poo all game or totally break the combat in minutes

it's wasted potential: the game, way different from the Mass Effect-style action RPG they were pitching it as.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

Shadows, energy projection, and geokinesis. You also got to copy X-Men powers that could function differently for each power and costumes inspired by characters

The problem was they were all random drops so you could just get a bunch of useless poo poo all game or totally break the combat in minutes

it's wasted potential: the game, way different from the Mass Effect-style action RPG they were pitching it as.

Yeah it was Star Citizen before there was Star Citizen when it comes to over-promising compared to the end result, albeit not on the same scale and not a trainwreck that could be watched in real time.

Plus, you know, it was a game that existed.

I can't believe I'd ever be in a situation where I'd be rooting for Activision, but they were pretty much the good guys there.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 19, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah it was Star Citizen before there was Star Citizen when it comes to over-promising compared to the end result, albeit not on the same scale and not a trainwreck that could be watched in real time.

Plus, you know, it was a game that existed.

I can't believe I'd ever be in a situation where I'd be rooting for Activision, but they were pretty much the good guys there.

Yup. After all the poo poo Silicon Knights pulled, I have no issue with Activision just going "We're going to start selling the game on this date. Whatever you give us by that point is what's going on shelves, finished or not because we're sick of dealing with you."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Thanks. So nothing too outlandish.

Yeah that does sound like it could be fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Epic totally did give everyone a shittier version of Unreal than they had, but Denis Dyack was so crazy nobody even looked at his side of the argument.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Yep, that's why I was ultimately disappointed in it. I wanted to create my powers not just do the stupid level up bullshit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Yup. After all the poo poo Silicon Knights pulled, I have no issue with Activision just going "We're going to start selling the game on this date. Whatever you give us by that point is what's going on shelves, finished or not because we're sick of dealing with you."

I do, since they just passed the buck onto the consumer with a piece of poo poo game. They should've just canceled it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lurdiak posted:

I do, since they just passed the buck onto the consumer with a piece of poo poo game. They should've just canceled it.

Never going to happen. They'd invested enough at that point that they had to see some return on the investment, and the X-Men name would guarantee at least a few sales. Activision isn't exactly scared to put its name on shovelware to begin with.

Besides, Destiny's problem isn't that it's actively bad. It's that it's promising and even somewhat ambitious but doesn't deliver. It's a complete product, albeit a short one, which makes it an interesting failure.

(The worst X-Men game is probably still that top-down shooter on the NES.)

Aphrodite posted:

Epic totally did give everyone a shittier version of Unreal than they had, but Denis Dyack was so crazy nobody even looked at his side of the argument.

Dyack is sort of a fascinating figure because he's one of the last of an old breed. He hit big with his first two projects, but everything after them is a litany of disaster, most of which is his personal responsibility, and he still has a job. You can't get that kind of failure-proofing in modern design anymore; all the guys on his level were grandfathered in from at least the fourth console generation, if not earlier, and the list of names looks like a sales chart for Thorazine.

Also, Dyack's Twitter feed is kind of this sad museum to himself. The dude is a Tom Waits song.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Wanderer posted:

(The worst X-Men game is probably still that top-down shooter on the NES.)

Thanks for reminding me of one of the biggest disappointment of my childhood. I remember being so unbelievably excited for this game, and then when I got it I nearly cried because it was so awful. What makes it worse, is that there was a great X-Men game for the PC that had come out earlier that year and I was hoping that the NES game would be just as good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The X-Men game I played the most was the Genesis one. Which I have the odd urge to replay now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

The X-Men game I played the most was the Genesis one. Which I have the odd urge to replay now.

That bullshit reset-button trick had my high school friends and I stumped for the better part of two years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Yep, that's why I was ultimately disappointed in it. I wanted to create my powers not just do the stupid level up bullshit

Realistically, there was always going to be a set number of power types, like in the DC MMO. You can't go "My girl can control cotton balls and related products with her mind" and expect the game to be able to run with you on that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wanderer posted:

That bullshit reset-button trick had my high school friends and I stumped for the better part of two years.

It had me stumped for a quite a bit, although I did eventually get up and hit reset to find it myself which was cool.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
First part of the first episode of the Danger Room Protocols fan animation debuted today, if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKHlkE7uExo

Big fan of the TK fastball special, and 90s Jean not fainting even once!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Metalshark posted:

First part of the first episode of the Danger Room Protocols fan animation debuted today, if anyone is interested:

I can't wait for this to come out Ps2!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

Marvel already took it down.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Yvonmukluk posted:

Marvel already took it down.

oh my god. why does marvel hate good things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HIJK posted:

oh my god. why does marvel hate good things.

They're owned by Disney, dude. It doesn't get more litigious than that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

They're owned by Disney, dude. It doesn't get more litigious than that.

gently caress YOU MICKEY

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I just found out they killed Elixir.

God loving dammit, I liked him. :smith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I just found out they killed Elixir.

God loving dammit, I liked him. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6J7FJmy1c

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, but he's obscure enough that he's actually probably going to stay dead. Because it seems Marvel has decided to stick with the 'classics' or variants thereof (with the sole exception of Idie) for future X-Men stories (except for Worst X-Man ever).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Elixir's like the single most potent biological manipulator on the planet, it'd be a dawdle to write him auto-resurrecting himself. poo poo, just before he died the guy was talking about how he only scratched the surface of his power. Any potential writer who wants to use Foley has a massive escape clause at their disposal.

Squizzle posted:

Pixie: half-magic and has hell powers
Resurrection: 6 (No Problem)

Rockslide: disembodied consciousness
Resurrection: 7 (Trivial; Possibly Unkillable)

Anole: regenerates completely from major injuries, becoming stronger
Resurrection: 4 (Some Justification Needed; Some Forms of Death Potentially Permanent)

X-23: Wolverine-type healing factor
Resurrection: 3 (Major Explanation Needed; Many Forms of Death Potentially Permanent)

According to these objective* Marvel trading card power grid ratings, you really only need to worry about Laura surviving long enough for you to be hired to write the flagship X-book. All the others could come back from most deaths with less than eight pages of explanation.

*im a scientist now this is science, yes, mutantology science, real science

AND A TIGER ROOOOOOAAAAAAR

Did somebody buy Andy Zaltzman a forums account and not tell me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I love the OTT Canadian accent Logan has in those shorts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

Elixir's like the single most potent biological manipulator on the planet, it'd be a dawdle to write him auto-resurrecting himself. poo poo, just before he died the guy was talking about how he only scratched the surface of his power. Any potential writer who wants to use Foley has a massive escape clause at their disposal.

Did somebody buy Andy Zaltzman a forums account and not tell me.

gently caress you Chris

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine Bunn tossing that line in for any reason other than "really simple hook for me/any other writer to bring him back".

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but he's obscure enough that he's actually probably going to stay dead. Because it seems Marvel has decided to stick with the 'classics' or variants thereof (with the sole exception of Idie) for future X-Men stories (except for Worst X-Man ever).

In the same issue where Elixar died they also made it pretty clear their next goal is protecting Triage, that guy Bendis made, so there's a decent chance he'll be part of the team for a while.

Also, notorious classic characters like Triage, Genesis, Monet, X-23*, and Fantomex. Like the classic characters are definitely front and center but there's newer guys scattered throughout.

*(I guess you could call X-23 a variant of Logan, but I'd say that's a stretch)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DrProsek posted:

***!!!RARE XX CHROMOSONE LOGAN MISPRINT COLLECTIBLE L@@K!!!***

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Now that we have clones of Laura running around, she could die and be replaced.

This was also in the playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMggJ633JBQ

Aha! Paperclips!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not sure it's a stretch to call a clone of Wolverine currently starring in a book titled "All New Wolverine," a variation of Wolverine.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure it's a stretch to call a clone of Wolverine currently starring in a book titled "All New Wolverine," a variation of Wolverine.

In the sense of "is she a totally unique character that is not derived from Logan"? Hell no, she absolutely is derivative from him.

In the sense of "is she not the same character as Logan but a character that was created much later than Logan that Marvel is allowing people to use"? Absolutely, I would say she's not a variant in the same sense that the young version of the present X-Men or OML are variants

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Not "classic" in any sense involving iconic status, but Monet is older than WickedHate. A lot of people born after Monet was first published are applying to grad school right now.

e: Monet's older now than the Fantastic Four were when I was born.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 22, 2016

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
If I only read All New X-Men will I be confused or will it intertwine with Uncanny X-Men like the last series did?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

If I only read All New X-Men will I be confused or will it intertwine with Uncanny X-Men like the last series did?

So far it's been a standalone, though there is some upcoming crossover that everyone'll forget about in a month or two anyway. I'm hoping it stays that way.

(I'm also only guessing that the crossover will be forgettable. Who knows!)

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 22, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

Not "classic" in any sense involving iconic status, but Monet is older than WickedHate. A lot of people born after Monet was first published are applying to grad school right now.

e: Monet's older now than the Fantastic Four were when I was born.

:stare: drat dude, way to hit home.

(I was born way before Monet was created and I am currently halfway through grad school)

SalTheBard posted:

Totally standalone. When Bendis was writing ANXM and UXM, he intentionally tied them together, while Hopeless and Bunn aren't doing anything like that. You don't even need to read All-New Wolverine, Laura doesn't say one word about her wacky solo adventures.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SalTheBard posted:

Well, they have different writers, so probably not, but if history is any indication, their going to have multiple terrible crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine Bunn tossing that line in for any reason other than "really simple hook for me/any other writer to bring him back".

In the same issue where Elixar died they also made it pretty clear their next goal is protecting Triage, that guy Bendis made, so there's a decent chance he'll be part of the team for a while.

Also, notorious classic characters like Triage, Genesis, Monet, X-23*, and Fantomex. Like the classic characters are definitely front and center but there's newer guys scattered throughout.

Well Genesis is 'what if Apocalyse was a good guy', and the fact Bendis' pet healer is the one that gets to live annoys me on principle.

I was more talking about the 'teen' heroes. Anyone got that comic of Scott getting inreasingly jaded at each 'new generation' of mutants that largely failed to go anywhere?

• Locked thread