Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nice, I identified the driver binding mistakes I made and can now run Linux on bare metal. In regular use I run Xorg on the secondary big graphics card, and when I need to game, I quit Xorg and pass it through to the Windows VM. Needs more testing and then I make this permanent. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Has anyone run ESXi 5.5 with Intel 82599 10g adapters with SR-IOV active? VT-D and IOMMU are on in uefi. I added the module parameter to create the virtual functions and rebooted, but when I attach a VF to a guest it won't pass traffic. The packet counters on the interface in the guest never change. (RHEL 6.4 guest OS, Lenovo x3650 M5 chassis)

The adapter works fine if I remove the VF parameters, reboot, and create a vswitch that uses it so I know the external plumbing is correct.

Do I need to grab current Intel drivers for this card for 5.5 ?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nice, I identified the driver binding mistakes I made and can now run Linux on bare metal. In regular use I run Xorg on the secondary big graphics card, and when I need to game, I quit Xorg and pass it through to the Windows VM. Needs more testing and then I make this permanent. :dance:
It's easier just to attach a 2nd monitor cable and switch there, IMO. Synergy works incredibly well for gaming.

fresh_cheese posted:

Has anyone run ESXi 5.5 with Intel 82599 10g adapters with SR-IOV active? VT-D and IOMMU are on in uefi. I added the module parameter to create the virtual functions and rebooted, but when I attach a VF to a guest it won't pass traffic. The packet counters on the interface in the guest never change. (RHEL 6.4 guest OS, Lenovo x3650 M5 chassis)

The adapter works fine if I remove the VF parameters, reboot, and create a vswitch that uses it so I know the external plumbing is correct.

Do I need to grab current Intel drivers for this card for 5.5 ?

Can you see them in lspci on the host console? The virtual functions should also enumerate on the bus.

Also check esxcfg-module -g ixgbe

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

evol262 posted:

Can you see them in lspci on the host console? The virtual functions should also enumerate on the bus.

Also check esxcfg-module -g ixgbe

Yes: Network Controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller Virtual Function shows up on 0000:10:10.0 through 10.7

Esxcfg-module : ixgbe enabled = 1 options = 'max_vfs=20,20'

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Does anyone make an drive enclosure with multiple eSATA ports on it? I was thinking that it would be neat to have my hypervisor boxes all running off the same storage space, like a SAN, but the ghetto version. It would (theoretically) be as fast as local storage, but without the insane 10 gbps network costs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You don't need 10gbps (quad port gige intel NICs can be had cheaply, and your lab probably won't need anything more than those can offer), and using a JBOD isn't really worth the time versus building a cheap storage server with a Microserver or whatever, given that the price of an enclosure with multiple eSATA/SAS ports is gonna be close to a cheap avoton build.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I looked into it further and it looks like Thunderbolt would be a good way to go for something similar. Tons of bandwidth, simple cabling and somewhat reasonable pricing. Now if only I had the money.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Weird interconnects are not worth it unless you already have them laying around and want to use them for fun. Just do what evol262 suggested.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone here using Nutanix in production? If so, how do you like it? Are you using AHV or ESCi/Hyper-V as the hypervisor?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone here using Nutanix in production? If so, how do you like it? Are you using AHV or ESCi/Hyper-V as the hypervisor?

We've had some customers using it who have had issues with monolithic workloads. The VDI customers seem happier.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Funny that should come up now. I was just going to post that I got sucked into the hype and ordered some more lab gear in order to give Nutanix CE a whirl. Worst case scenario, I'll roll back to something more traditional on newer hardware than I started with.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So what the heck is Nutanix? I went to the web site and couldn't find my way past the wall of hype.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

HPL posted:

So what the heck is Nutanix? I went to the web site and couldn't find my way past the wall of hype.

By default, it's KVM(ish) with some goodies on top. Stuff like automated tiering of data between spindles and SSD, smart placement of workloads, ability to aggregate local storage pools and treat them like shared storage, fault tolerance by replicating n copies of data across the cluster members, and a more shiny happy look and feel than the traditional hypervisors and their management tools. They're basically trying to abstract away the backend stuff (storage, mainly) as much as possible. They're trying to get people to stop buying SANs and horsepower separately and instead buy both in a single box that you can add additional boxes to as necessary.

Now, whether any of this actually works in practice, I'm looking forward to reporting back on after the new heavy metal gets here. I've heard their pitch for a while now and kind of wrote it off since I'm a curmudgeon, but it's gaining popularity with a good segment of my customers so I figured it's worth taking a look at.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So in other words they can do everything Server 2012 R2 can already do?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I will say this for Nutanix; they waited a month after the opening day star wars screening they and dell invited me to until their sales person started calling me every loving day, so that's something.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

HPL posted:

but it's pretty

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Still my favorite bit of Nutanix advocacy:

http://www.nutanix.com/2013/12/02/nutanix-delivers-a-gpu-platform-that-pays-for-itself-in-bitcoins/

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

HPL posted:

Everybody is doing hyperconverged, but no, proper hyper-v hyperconvergence isn't slated until Server 2016. The value of Nutanix (or dvswitches+vsan, or whatever) can't really be realized until you're doing something other than reading a press release about stuff you might want to put in your lab.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The value of Nutanix is that it is scale out (compute and IO capacity can be added incrementally, and in one chunk), shared nothing (node fails you just replace it and it rebuilds), and tightly integrated (no real storage management required, storage is just a function of the platform). It's basically "Datacenter in a box".

It's also hypervisor agnostic, so you can run VMware or Hyper-V or their own KVM based hypervisor.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 21, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the heels of the JBOD/DIY/WHATEVER discussion, anyone here using a Synology in production for datastores?

I'm looking at the DS1815 or DS1813. 8 disks, I'll probably put in 7 big drives and one cache SSD. Team the NICs for 4gbps and call it a day? This would be for a home lab with no real SUPER disk intensive stuff -- I have a 1TB DAS RAID for that. Has VAAI support but I'm not sure what if anything that actually affects.

Right now I'm playing with setting up FreeNAS on a spare R710 but to be honest I'm finding that I just want something I can plop in and press 3 buttons on and not worry about it for the next 4 years and a DIY solution isn't that.

e: Oh wait nevermind, there's a NAS tread for questions just like this. Please disregard.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 21, 2016

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

How are plugins handled? Our NetApp guys told us to stay away because their integration was only on the Windows instance but that was a while ago.

That may still be the case. I haven't touched a netapp box in over 4 years. VUM registers with vCenter though and lets you pull down the plugin to the client/installs whatever extensions are required in the web client.

NSX manager also works this way.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

1000101 posted:

That may still be the case. I haven't touched a netapp box in over 4 years. VUM registers with vCenter though and lets you pull down the plugin to the client/installs whatever extensions are required in the web client.

NSX manager also works this way.

Yea, that's the way it works for the NetApp plugin. You need a Windows box to run the bits but you can still register it to a VCSA appliance.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So how does JBOD affect disk IO?

I've got a server I'm playing with and 5 drives with ~150gb each. I'm going to install two exchange servers, two DCs, and maybe two other low impact things on ESXi. In total I might use 350gb of storage.

I'm concerned about disk i/o. I see a few options open to me.

1) RAID 5. I don't need any redundancy for what I'm doing but it's an option. I'm sure I'd still have enough storage after the overhead. My disk io concerns are more read than write anyway.

2) JBOD. This is what I'm leaning towards right now but I'm not sure how well the load would be distributed across the disks. If I have a single disk eating all of the exchange IOPs I'm probably gonna have a bad time.

3) I could make two RAID 0 arrays and one regular disk. This could work but could be cutting it pretty close to my storage requirements.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
jbod performance depends on implementation but will generally scale linearly up with number of disks. I would try to go raid 10 with a hot spare and save 50 GB somewhere.

May 14, 2003

Methanar posted:

So how does JBOD affect disk IO?

I've got a server I'm playing with and 5 drives with ~150gb each. I'm going to install two exchange servers, two DCs, and maybe two other low impact things on ESXi. In total I might use 350gb of storage.

I'm concerned about disk i/o. I see a few options open to me.

1) RAID 5. I don't need any redundancy for what I'm doing but it's an option. I'm sure I'd still have enough storage after the overhead. My disk io concerns are more read than write anyway.

2) JBOD. This is what I'm leaning towards right now but I'm not sure how well the load would be distributed across the disks. If I have a single disk eating all of the exchange IOPs I'm probably gonna have a bad time.

3) I could make two RAID 0 arrays and one regular disk. This could work but could be cutting it pretty close to my storage requirements.

A JBOD is just a bunch of disks in an enclosure. If you're running ESXi on top of it then unless you're using a hardware RAID controller you're going to see them all as individual disks. That means if you want to spread out some IO you're going to have to do it on your own. Since this may be a sandbox that may not be a big deal. If it is, then add 2 virtual disks and do RAID 0 in the guest.

Also a reminder that if you lose a disk in RAID 0 you lose everything in that volume. It sounds like this is a sandbox so that may not be a big deal.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
This only needs to last a few months as a test environment so I'm not worried about a disk failing right now. I'm demoing an on-prem exchange to O365 migration plus a few other Azure-y things.

My plan was to run ESXi off of an old USB stick. I do have a hardware raid controller that I was planning using to aggregate my disks together that gives me all of my raid/JBOD options. My main question was that when I turn all my disks into a single logical volume with JBOD, does it just fill up the first disk before moving onto the second with zero concern for trying to distribute IO? I'm going to assume it does or that it could be raid card dependent.

I guess I could just not bother aggregating my disks at all and just have 5 different drives available to ESXi. That might just be simplest and best option for me here.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Methanar posted:

This only needs to last a few months as a test environment so I'm not worried about a disk failing right now. I'm demoing an on-prem exchange to O365 migration plus a few other Azure-y things.

My plan was to run ESXi off of an old USB stick. I do have a hardware raid controller that I was planning using to aggregate my disks together that gives me all of my raid/JBOD options. My main question was that when I turn all my disks into a single logical volume with JBOD, does it just fill up the first disk before moving onto the second with zero concern for trying to distribute IO? I'm going to assume it does or that it could be raid card dependent.

I guess I could just not bother aggregating my disks at all and just have 5 different drives available to ESXi. That might just be simplest and best option for me here.

Raid 0 denotes striping IO and JBOD generally denotes concatenation. If you want to stripe IO for performance you want to select raid 0 in the hardware raid controller.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pass all the individual disks through to the host and run this?

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/data-storage/server-vsa.html

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just tried X2Go, a remote desktop protocol thing. It's incredible. It's way faster and smoother than Spice and it beats VNC and regular RDP by a country mile. A pain in the butt to set up and get a connection going, but the results are great. Even on bloated sites like the NY Times, scrolling is smooth and responsive. Unfortunately, It's not a good overall solution because it's not very portable like RDP where you can remote in from just about any computer with minimal fuss, so it's really only useful for situations where you're remoting in to the same place all the time.

I'm having fun playing around with LXC containers in Proxmox. I created a command-line Ubuntu container, installed LXDE on it and xrdp and x2go so I can remote into it and browse in Chromium. So far I've used up 1.7GB on the hard drive (it started at around 600MB, blew up by about 200MB just from upgrading from 15.04 to 15.10 and the rest was LXDE and x2go), which seems a little much for what I've got happening, but I guess graphical goodies don't come cheap.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

Pass all the individual disks through to the host and run this?

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/data-storage/server-vsa.html

The StoreVirtual VSA is pretty slick, as is their StoreOnce VSA. I use the latter as a backup destination, 1TB of raw storage capacity that does dedupe and integrates with Veeam. You can get NFR licenses for both, as well as Veeam Availability Suite for that matter.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

If write performance isn't really a concern and its not production I would throw them all together in a raid 5 with an okayish controller (at least 128mb of cache) and skip the hot spare.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Where can I find O.S. software for Hercules mainframe emulation. I have a vps that I want to use for the vm. The vps is running Ubuntu. I was able to install Hercules and get it to run. I have to found sites that provide instructions for windows, as well as physical installation. However i am unable to install it in my vps via command line. My vps does not support kvm, as it is one of those budget vps. I think I paid $8 for the year.

Also is there any other good Jd Edwards or equivalent emulators that are free? I'm trying to get experience in mainframes to help me pad my resume so I can get a better job.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You can get a cheap vps from ehvps which supports nested virt. As far as "where do I findz/OS images/software for it?", you can't ask that here

evol262 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 26, 2016

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Welp, there goes the last of the good support engineers at VMware: http://fortune.com/2016/01/26/vmware-layoffs-hit/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

joebuddah posted:

Where can I find O.S. software for Hercules mainframe emulation. I have a vps that I want to use for the vm. The vps is running Ubuntu. I was able to install Hercules and get it to run. I have to found sites that provide instructions for windows, as well as physical installation. However i am unable to install it in my vps via command line. My vps does not support kvm, as it is one of those budget vps. I think I paid $8 for the year.

Also is there any other good Jd Edwards or equivalent emulators that are free? I'm trying to get experience in mainframes to help me pad my resume so I can get a better job.

If you want an old version of MVS, you can go to http://mvs380.sourceforge.net

If you want z/OS for Hercules? There's no way to sugar coat it -- :filez:. IBM doesn't make it easy or affordable for hobbyists to touch z/OS.

You can buy an ADCD distribution of z/OS but you "need" to use IBM's own hardware emulator package which comes with a hefty price tag. I mean heavy for a hobbyist, not for a professional who needs to work with z/OS.

I'm not sure what kvm has to do with the equation however. Shouldn't matter at all. If you have z/OS or MVS CCKDs all you need to do is make sure the Hercules config references them appropriately, make sure your LOADPARM parameters are correct, open a tn3270 emulator and point it at the console defined by Hercules, launch Herc then at the commandline you "ipl xxxx" where xxxx is the address of your ipl volume. If you have instructions for running Hercules under Windows then the Linux equivalent is nearly identical.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 26, 2016

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

I'm not sure what kvm has to do with the equation however.
It's a good question, since hercules doesn't so any parts of qemu that I know of, much less KVM (even on s390)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This probably is starting to stray from Virtualization, but joebuddah if you are looking for experience in mainframe concepts take a look at IBM's "Mastering the Mainframe" contest. It's intended for students to get them interested in the subject but you can ask to audit the material and you can get hands on experience completing the challenges, you just aren't eligible for tshirts and prizes and such.

Master the Mainframe: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/education/academic/masterthemainframe/

You're really unlikely to be able to put "mainframe" on your resume as you would Linux. Mainframes in any respectable organization are typically run by a team of people who likely work on different aspects of the system. A linux admin will likely have his hands in everything, but imagine if you split the jobs out into a guy who installs linux, a guy who maintains SElinux and the passwd files, a guy who works on storage, etc. It's possible that with the diminishing amounts of z/OS talent that you'll get people doing more jobs, but the typical setup has been very siloed.

That said, I don't want to dissuade you from learning as much about the mainframe as you can. I was in the same boat a few years ago and while I'm most certainly not an expert by any stretch of the imagination I do at least pretend to know how to get around various aspects of MVS and z/OS.

Read through this, it's a really good primer on concepts and such:

IBM Redbooks: Introduction to The New Mainframe: z/OS Basics: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246366.html

Once you have a good 1,000 ft. overview of the system, you can get more details by going through the ABC's of System Programming [vol 1-10] redbooks. They're more in depth. You don't need to read each one, but each one has various topics you may be interested in. At least know where to find them. Bookmark IBM's Redbooks site and visit often :)

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246981.html?Open

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Thanks for all the information it is really helpful

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

DevNull posted:

Welp, there goes the last of the good support engineers at VMware: http://fortune.com/2016/01/26/vmware-layoffs-hit/
A lot of them, for sure. There are some survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

DevNull posted:

Hopefully you make it through that free and clear.