Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

1/19/2016, Peak goon hyperbole achieved.

When did I use any hyperbole? I was presenting alternate examples following this silly logic of "people who don't like busy scenes are physically sick"

Did you think I was talking about the PT from the first one? Not sure how you would make that mistake genuinely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Serf posted:

Is it impossible to feel for people who are forced to fight in a war for someone else? Because that's where it all stems from for me. The droids and the clones weren't given a choice, and it's not like they'll get to retire when the war is over. Their lives suck, and I have sympathy for them. I think we're supposed to feel bad for them once we realize that droids and clones are still people.

We have no reason to feel sympathy for them. We don't have any individual member of them to connect with. We don't see their pain or their dreams or any struggle against their programming. Literally not a single one of them matters at all at any point.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I don't think the movie does enough to evoke this feeling among the audience. Their deaths are frequently played for laughs which literally creates the opposite feeling.

If you'd wanted to create that kind of sympathy, then non-comedic interactions between droids should probably have been displayed. Similarly among the clones if you're trying to get across that their lives suck then you should actually display that.

You start seeing how the lives of the clones suck as soon as they're introduced on Kamino. Tubes of fetuses, rows of little Jangos at desks, wires all stuck in their heads. You realize that's it. That's their entire lives. They live in a place where they all see the same face, they get trained to kill, then they go out into the world to die.

This is mirrored on Geonosis where we follow the process of constructing battle droids. It's nothing but fire and whirling pieces of metal. C-3P0 ends the sequence getting his head stuck onto a battle droid's body. They're just suddenly alive, and all they're made to do is kill, just like the clones.

It's equally horrific. Neither side in the war will use volunteers and there's no droid in Star Wars that isn't sapient. So they grow/build living, thinking troops and make them fight their battles rather than do it themselves. I think the sadness and awfulness of it is evident every time we see the war.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

We have no reason to feel sympathy for them. We don't have any individual member of them to connect with. We don't see their pain or their dreams or any struggle against their programming. Literally not a single one of them matters at all at any point.

Why are you treating the prequels as if their completely isolated from the OT? None of the feelings you had for Threepio or R2 apply to the battle droids? The OT established everything we need to know about the sentience of droids in Star Wars.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

Remember when SMG used the rule of thirds to dispute Avengers looking like poo poo

The difference is that I used the terms correctly. Also, as it happens, that's not what "dispute" means.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I don't think the movie does enough to evoke this feeling among the audience. Their deaths are frequently played for laughs which literally creates the opposite feeling.

If you'd wanted to create that kind of sympathy, then non-comedic interactions between droids should probably have been displayed. Similarly among the clones if you're trying to get across that their lives suck then you should actually display that.

Comedy is the obverse of horror. That's the whole point: the droids get comically awful treatment.

People keep talking about 'empathy' because they haven't graduated to 'love'. We love the battle droids, in all their frailty.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tezzor posted:

Speaking of, you dudes remember Order 66, right? Wow, what a thing. Lucas had been working on the prequel films for six years by the time he wrote that. He claimed to have the basic idea of the plot of these films all figured out by the late 1980s. But when it's time to kill all the Jedi it's whoops, deus ex machina plot device that has never been established at all. What a waste of a storytelling opportunity out of sheer lazy and incompetent writing. Wouldn't this be cool: Early in episode 2 somebody hears Senator Palpatine talking about Order 66. They ask him what it is and he laughingly brushes them off with some excuse. Or even earlier, at the beginning of in episode 1 the Most Dishonabaru Space Chinamen are asking Sidious about Order 66 and he says the tests have been successful. Or, gently caress, at least some mention within Episode 3. Anyway, Obi-Wan or Padme or whoever investigates over time and slowly discovers the horrible truth just as it's too late. Nope. Just: Hey. Kill all the Jedi because of a thing we haven't seen before. Great stuff

inorite?

Picture this: when Vader lands in Cloud City, Boba Fett says that he saw his son leaving Mos Eisley. Or early in A New Hope, we have Grand Moff Tarkin asking Vader how his kids are, and Vader brushes him off. "Your interest in my children is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."

Nope, total surprise when Vader springs it on Luke. Great stuff

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tezzor posted:

That's a pretty callous way to look at it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Serf posted:

You start seeing how the lives of the clones suck as soon as they're introduced on Kamino. Tubes of fetuses, rows of little Jangos at desks, wires all stuck in their heads. You realize that's it. That's their entire lives. They live in a place where they all see the same face, they get trained to kill, then they go out into the world to die.

This is mirrored on Geonosis where we follow the process of constructing battle droids. It's nothing but fire and whirling pieces of metal. C-3P0 ends the sequence getting his head stuck onto a battle droid's body. They're just suddenly alive, and all they're made to do is kill, just like the clones.

It's equally horrific. Neither side in the war will use volunteers and there's no droid in Star Wars that isn't sapient. So they grow/build living, thinking troops and make them fight their battles rather than do it themselves. I think the sadness and awfulness of it is evident every time we see the war.

There's a lot of racism towards Clone and Droid culture and reproduction in here. Geez.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Serf posted:

This is mirrored on Geonosis where we follow the process of constructing battle droids. It's nothing but fire and whirling pieces of metal. C-3P0 ends the sequence getting his head stuck onto a battle droid's body. They're just suddenly alive, and all they're made to do is kill, just like the droids.

Like I really don't get that from it. The cloning facilities are at worst comparable to a decently supplied modern military base which is by no means a terrible place to live relative to the really dogshit places on earth. I hope you can understand what I mean. I understand conceptually what is being done is wrong, but there is very little that is emotive about the shots that makes me feel that it is.

Just one interaction with a Clone feeling fear before being press ganged into fighting would have done a lot to convey the message.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The ordinary battle droids pretty consistently try to get people to surrender by default, rather than opening fire. If anything, they are more "civilized" than the clones.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Like I really don't get that from it. The cloning facilities are at worst comparable to a decently supplied modern military base which is by no means a terrible place to live relative to the really dogshit places on earth. I hope you can understand what I mean. I understand conceptually what is being done is wrong, but there is very little that is emotive about the shots that makes me feel that it is.

Just one interaction with a Clone feeling fear before being press ganged into fighting would have done a lot to convey the message.

I just can't get past the fact that they're manufacturing slaves to fight in a war that has no good ending for them.The jarring part, to me, is that the movies depict this like it's totally okay. No one comments on the horror of the situation, everyone just accepts it. I dunno whether Lucas intended it to be that way or not but it totally works for me.

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but I really like the Clone Wars show for showing battle droids and clones just going about their business and developing the overall character of both sides. It enhances my appreciation of the films.

E:

homullus posted:

The ordinary battle droids pretty consistently try to get people to surrender by default, rather than opening fire. If anything, they are more "civilized" than the clones.

Yeah, as mentioned, those surrendering battle droids in ROTS are huge. Clones are never shown to surrender or have doubts, which the droids seem to have constantly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dispute means to argue or are you going to tell me something else SMG. How far does your contrarian rabbit hole go!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"Comedy does not rely on the undermining of our dignity with reminders of the ridiculous contingencies of our terrestrial existence; comedy is, on the contrary, the full assertion of universality, the immediate coincidence of universality with the character’s/actor’s singularity. That is to say, what effectively happens when, in a comedy, all universal features of dignity are mocked and subverted? The negative force that undermines them is that of the individual, of the hero with his attitude of disrespect towards all elevated universal values, and this negativity itself is the only true remaining universal force. And does the same not hold for Christ? All stable-substantial universal features are undermined, relativized, by his scandalous acts, so that the only remaining universality is the one embodied in Him, in his very singularity. The universals undermined by Christ are 'abstract' substantial universals, while the 'concrete' universality is the very negativity of undermining abstract universals."
-Zizek

This is the role of the droids and, later, Vader. The comedy of the droids is the comedy of incarnation: God Himself is a droid, with no dignity whatsoever: a piece of poo poo on Jar Jar's foot.

The same logic is at work with the 'prawns' in District 9.

Vintersorg posted:

Dispute means to argue or are you going to tell me something else SMG.

It means to argue against something. I was not arguing against Avengers being bad; I was showing that it was bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neurolimal posted:

There's a lot of racism towards Clone and Droid culture and reproduction in here. Geez.

Some people just can't appreciate the beauty of a good singularity engine.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Let's be fair here, if somebody tells me they didn't at least smile at that line from the video then they are either a liar or inhuman

I don't watch the RLM trash at all so I though Tezzor made this up himself. Color me disappointed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
as someone who dislikes the prequels order 66 just happening is something i like and think was a good thing

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What's the deal with that droid control ship in TPM, anyway? The battledroids, like basically every other droid in Star Wars, have personalities, act independently, etc. There's even droid officers who give orders to other droids and confer with one another! So what, exactly, is the droid control ship controlling that just makes all the droids turn off when it blows up?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

What's the deal with that droid control ship in TPM, anyway? The battledroids, like basically every other droid in Star Wars, have personalities, act independently, etc. There's even droid officers who give orders to other droids and confer with one another! So what, exactly, is the droid control ship controlling that just makes all the droids turn off when it blows up?

That one was unique. To save on costs they gave the droids a hivemind. After Anakin blew it up they realized that was a lovely idea.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok.

Hahaha.

Not gonna argue about a goddamn dictionary definition.

Again, we all loved the Avengers getting (rightfully so) torn down but not here because the prequels are the greatest cinematic accomplishment that runs so deep not even Lucas knew the genius he was putting on screen.

(( im the jedi with my light saber directly over my head and open to any shot coming for me ))

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Basebf555 posted:

Why are you treating the prequels as if their completely isolated from the OT? None of the feelings you had for Threepio or R2 apply to the battle droids? The OT established everything we need to know about the sentience of droids in Star Wars.

No? I'm not disputing that battle droids are sentient, I'm saying that it doesn't matter if they are or not because we're given no reason to care about them whatsoever, and in fact their deaths and mangling are comic relief more than anything else. I have feelings for the droids for the OT because they are distinct characters who matter and who the movie spends a lot of time with. Battle Droid # 45,191 is not. Human beings are indisputably sentient. Do you care as much about Rebel Pilot Whose A-Wing Gets Shot and He Goes Aaauuugh and Blows Up as you do about Luke Skywalker? Why or why not?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cri everytiem

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When I realized Porkins would never eat another piece of fried space chicken that was when I truly understood what war is.

quote:

I cri everytiem

What is that?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

homullus posted:

inorite?

Picture this: when Vader lands in Cloud City, Boba Fett says that he saw his son leaving Mos Eisley. Or early in A New Hope, we have Grand Moff Tarkin asking Vader how his kids are, and Vader brushes him off. "Your interest in my children is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."

We need a scene in ROTS where Bail Organa asks Palpatine if they need more clone troopers, and Palpatine says "Yes, I think we should ORDER 66 of them", as he turns towards the camera and winks. But as long as there's nothing moving in the background and no props or buildings visible, we don't want the audience distracted from this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
so how long did this thread actually discuss the new movie? 3 weeks?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

why do so many of you spergs have to be explicitly told how to feel about two armies being forced to fight one another like some perverse galactic loving rock 'em sock 'em robots? for god's sake you see thinking and feeling beings being made explicitly to fight in a futile war

why does the movie have to spell out for you why that's bad and you should pity them?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Empress Theonora posted:

Like Anakin, the droids are designed with dead-man's killswitches if they ever escape.

Think of when evil Cypher unplugs people's brains in the Matrix.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just realized the much funnier joke I should have made was that Droid B2-124523 was only two weeks from retirement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

No? I'm not disputing that droids are sentient, I'm saying that it doesn't matter if they are or not because we're given no reason to care about them whatsoever, and in fact their deaths and mangling are comic relief more than anything else. I have feelings for the droids for the OT because they are distinct characters who matter and who the movie spends a lot of time with. Battle Droid # 45,191 is not. Human beings are indisputably sentient. Do you care as much about Rebel Pilot Whose A-Wing Gets Shot and He Goes Aaauuugh and Blows Up as you do about Luke Skywalker? Why or why not?

I have to admit I don't really understand what point you're trying to make.

But to answer your question, yes I cared about Porkins and all the rest who get shot down and those scenes were borderline disturbing to me as a little kid. Those guys were dying fiery deaths and its scary. Did I care about them as much as Luke? Who knows but I don't really see how that's relevant.

Anyway, if it registered to you that they're sentient, that should be enough for you to feel sympathy for them. I'm not sure why you'd need anything else.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Go Tezzor, CineD's new forums superstar!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like Anakin, the droids are designed with dead-man's killswitches if they ever escape.

Think of when evil Cypher unplugs people's brains in the Matrix.

Maybe it's the galaxy's biggest restraining bolt.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

"this new film is basically just a reshoot of ANH"-- 2 weeks

"Kylo Ren: intimidating or not?" -- 3 weeks

Serf
May 5, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

why does the movie have to spell out for you why that's bad and you should pity them?

A lack of basic empathy.

It's more understandable with droids because we're used to seeing robots as non-living fodder. But Star Wars droids are shown over and over again to be people.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

homullus posted:

inorite?

But Vader being Luke's father is a surprise to the audience. It's not a surprise that Palpatine is evil or that he somehow kills all the Jedi. Even if you go in with no pre-existing knowledge of Star Wars the fact that they're portrayed by the same guy and everything Sidious does keeps getting Palpatine more power are huge tipoffs. I've literally heard more stories of people being surprised by the ending of Titanic than by Palpatine being evil. If they mention Order 66 we can infer that it's some evil plan that Sidious has, probably to kill all the Jedi, but how does it work? What is it, exactly? That creates an interesting mystery plot that ties the movie or movies together and gives a character besides Anakin something to do.

Also, as a smaller point, your counterexample presupposes that George Lucas had the slightest idea that Vader was Luke's father during the writing of A New Hope, which is pretty funny.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If droids are people, then one of my favorite movies has a slave auction, and that's Not Okay.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

computer parts posted:

If droids are people, then one of my favorite movies has a slave auction, and that's Not Okay.

droids are people and yeah its a slave auction

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Vintersorg posted:

I cri everytiem

That trashcan thing sounds like there's a jawa or ewok stuck inside it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Seriously, go back and watch that scene and tell me its not a slave auction.

Well, maybe not technically an auction since Owen has no bidding competition.

Serf
May 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

If droids are people, then one of my favorite movies has a slave auction

hosed up but true

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Serf posted:

A lack of basic empathy.

It's more understandable with droids because we're used to seeing robots as non-living fodder. But Star Wars droids are shown over and over again to be people.

So we're supposed to care about the thousands of battle droids in the Clone Wars cartoon that get horribly killed each episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PBS Newshour posted:

Much less than that. When you eliminate all the sequel speculation and "I'm sure they'll explain it in the next film", discussion of Force Awakens probably totals ten pages.

• Locked thread