Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lakedaimon posted:

That makes it even worse that Wargaming didnt use them. Even if they weighed a ton more or otherwise wouldnt have fit into a Montana turret, they could have (and should have) just fudged it then.

The Iowa could only carry 5 of the guns as constructed, but since the Montanas were both never constructed, and were 15k tons heavier on paper, I don't see why Wargaming can't put them onboard.

quote:

The start of World War II removed all treaty limitations and revived interest in larger caliber weapons. In 1941, the threaded tip was cut off and a new 18" (45.7 cm) liner installed. This weapon was then redesignated as the 18"/47 (45.7 cm) Mark "A" test gun and "super-heavy" 18" (45.7 cm) AP projectiles were designed for it. The gun was first test fired in this new configuration in February 1942 and a few more times until the end of the war.

BuOrd estimated that a ship with 16 inch (40.6 cm) side armor and 6.25 inch (15.9 cm) deck armor would have no immune zone whatsoever from the "super-heavy" 18" (45.7 cm) AP projectile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

Considering the players who've gotten to the Yamato either have to suffer through the Izumo or buy their way past it, not feeling too much sympathy. And unlike the Montana, which at least had reached the design phase, the Izumo was a completely paper ship, so they could have made a bunch of interpretations that wouldn't have made it the pile of poo poo it is. Montana isn't particularly good compared to the Yamato. Izumo isn't good compared to anything.

Your previous struggles in boats shouldn't exactly be the factor in a ship's balance, just fyi. Otherwise the New Orleans to Des Moines should have their primary armament changed to railguns and missile launchers installed onboard and bounce shells from every boat in the game at every angle. The Pensacola is truly the worst ship in the game by every standard imaginable.

Overmatch is another term for "Break-Through" that I mentioned earlier. The Yamato is achieving breakthrough on Montana bow armor, then the shells pen through the citadel and do ridiculous damage, or drop and hit the opposite side of the ship's belt armor and bounce for normal penetration damage. The Yamato's shells are literally IGNORING whatever angle they strike the bow at.

This is sort of why US BBs shouldn't fight up close, but end up doing so do to a multitude of hilarious reasons (all-or-nothing armor is meant for fighting at range, not up close where you can precisely pen through the weaker bow/stern armor). It just so happens that the Montana and Yamato flip the typical BB roles so hard, since the Yamato adopts the US BB armor scheme (little armoring on all but the citadels) while the Montana gets no major upgrades over its past ship except an extra gun. Surprise surprise, give an IJN ship US armor (and a gun that counters US armor) and it suddenly dunks all over everything.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 19, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh, I'm aware that shouldn't be a determining factor. All I actually said was that I'm not feeling too much sympathy to people once again whining about super heavy shells and realism, not that how crappy or not the preceding tier is actually should affect the next tier. As it stands currently, overall the Montana tends to do better against anything that's not an opposing battleship than the Yamato, due to the faster rate of fire and more guns - and against non-battleships the caliber difference matters nowhere near as much. Admittedly not by a huge margin, but it is there. So if you suddenly give the ship(ships actually, since the coding for the Montana and Iowa's shells is the same) shells that are just as good at penetrating as the opposing one, you've now tilted the scales in the opposite direction, since it's now basically just as good against battleships, and better against anything else. Now the fact that the highest tiers tend to be dominated by battleships and aircraft carriers means that the Yamato is currently far better, since its better at killing the decisive factor at those tiers, but that's an issue with the meta.

This is not to say overall the Yamato isn't better, but the complaints about the shell penetration is getting tiresome. What does probably need toned down is Yamato's super heal, since despite the two ships having roughly the same HP, Yamato's Repair Party currently heals far more than Montana's.

Also, the Pensacola isn't the worst ship in the game by far. It's fragile as hell, but at least it has good guns(upgraded). The early tier German cruisers are complete and utter trash in general, and you basically have to pray that you actually hit something with the Myogi. Those are terrible ships.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 19, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lord Koth posted:

This is not to say overall the Yamato isn't better, but the complaints about the shell penetration is getting tiresome. What does probably need toned down is Yamato's super heal, since despite the two ships having roughly the same HP, Yamato's Repair Party currently heals far more than Montana's.

Its funny that the US's self repair isn't better, considering how good US crews were at damage control and repair. Or maybe 1/10 times a IJN ship hits repair, someone accidentally fills the ship with gas fumes and the whole thing goes up next time its hit.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to outfit the Hatsuharu? I've got the torpedo mods, propulsion mod, and rudder mod. I don't know if that's my best option though.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Unlocked the Pepsicola and Hatsuharu. Sounds like I should get the Hatsuharu first.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I actually have been doing some serious seal clubbing in early German cruisers, their AP is flat and low dispersion, and they have a high fire rate, and they reworked the penetration on their guns to be better than their opponents, from what I've seen. I had one match where I pulled 9 citadels and 5 kills versus other CAs in the T3 German cruiser. Their HE is weak horseshit though.

Maybe it's just other ships being bad though, because once I jumped to the T4 german cruiser, I got my poo poo stomped by endless trains of Murmansk and Omahas. I was still able to gently caress up dumb Phoenix drivers though.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 19, 2016

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Should I sell my Benson to help fund a Fletcher, or am I going to regret it later?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to outfit the Hatsuharu? I've got the torpedo mods, propulsion mod, and rudder mod. I don't know if that's my best option though.

I actually went with gun mods on the Hatsu. The guns load too slow, but otherwise they have pretty good characteristics. Very useful for finishing off crippled ships. And since you will still run into Minekazes and Mutsukis you can outgun them a bit. But hey im weird. Had one fluky game where I got 3 gun kills in it.

Just noticed at the end of the Project R event "all participants" get 4 million spacebucks, so thats kinda nice.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Discord is cool, except for the fact that it has the same amount of players in it as teamspeak.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Leave it to WG to pick magic numbers with huge ramifications for gameplay.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I'm wondering what ship I should buy back for ranked. I only have the Amagi and Tirpitz. I feel like the Fubuki would be a mistake because it's hard to carry with only torps.

Maybe time to buy the Atago?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

jownzy posted:

Discord is cool, except for the fact that it has the same amount of players in it as teamspeak.

just idle. eventually a division or two will happen. if you join up, see empty ship chat besides the lobby, and then leave, then WELP

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm just getting into boats, and after reading through the OP and doing some cursory searches through the thread, here's my two questions:

1) Are there any mods that are worth getting? I didn't see a mention of any in the OP and none over the past 10+ pages of the thread, so instead of going through thousands of posts, I figured I'd just ask.

2) I'm going for US CVs, Japanese BBs, German CAs, and Soviet DDs right now. Priortizing the BBs and CVs until I have enough free expedience to vault across the Karlsruhe, which sounds like a turd. Does this sound about right for a new player? Or, has some patch in the past 5 months shifted the strategy (like how the E-100 used to be the go-to tank in WoT, but now sucks due to nerfs and power-creep.)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wish I had a replay of a match I had in the Clemson yesterday.

I finally got into a match where nobody on either team knew what they were doing and drove straight over to their CVs, torped them both to death, then murdered a Furataka that was helplessly driving in circles after my first salvo hit the tail end of it, and a Wyoming and South Carolina that couldn't hit me for poo poo while I strafed them just out of range of their secondaries.

poo poo was awesome and will probably never happen again. :negative:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

The Third Man posted:

Should I sell my Benson to help fund a Fletcher, or am I going to regret it later?
Are you interested in Ranked? If so, the Benson is the best DD for Ranked. Otherwise... well, its up to you. The Fletcher owns.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Weltlich posted:

I'm just getting into boats, and after reading through the OP and doing some cursory searches through the thread, here's my two questions:

1) Are there any mods that are worth getting? I didn't see a mention of any in the OP and none over the past 10+ pages of the thread, so instead of going through thousands of posts, I figured I'd just ask.

2) I'm going for US CVs, Japanese BBs, German CAs, and Soviet DDs right now. Priortizing the BBs and CVs until I have enough free expedience to vault across the Karlsruhe, which sounds like a turd. Does this sound about right for a new player? Or, has some patch in the past 5 months shifted the strategy (like how the E-100 used to be the go-to tank in WoT, but now sucks due to nerfs and power-creep.)

Modification Upgrade Guide

Before I start I should add something very important: Repair Party Time Decrease Captain Skills and Equipment Mods are not Subtractive, they are Multiplicative. You can't "stack" them as effectively as you would think. For example if a battleship gets hit by a torpedo with equipment mod Damage Control System Modification 2 and captain skill Basics of Survivability, they'll flood for 86.7 seconds, not 84 seconds. The formula is 120(1 - (0.15)) (1 - (0.15)) , not 120(1 -(0.15) - (0.15)). This detracts from getting all of the skills/equipment stacked for one specific damage type instead of a single general percentage decrease skill. If you DO want to research and stack every repair decrease skill/mod for a specific damage type, here is a convenient list of the lowest possible repair times you can receive if you obtain all the necessary skills/upgrade mods that can decrease them, PLUS the signals as well:

Fire : 34.68s
Flood : 63.86s
Engine / Steering: 81.6s

Stacking Fire repair decreases time by 42.2%.
Stacking Flood repair decreases time by 46.7%.
Stacking Engine/steering repair decreases time by 32%.

This still seems pretty good, for fire and flood especially. Last Stand seems like a better way to go than stacking repair of engine/steering - the 20% incapacitation chance decrease for either should also be taken into account when deciding.

+++Tier 3 Mods:

Main Battery Modification 1: Very good for less incapacitation if your main weapon is main guns and is good in general for repair time if they do incapacitate, and also good for less detonation chance (why are you not flying detonation flags hopefully you have a bunch stored up from ranked rewards?),

Torpedo mod 1: good for torping destroyers.

Air groups mod 1: good for CVs.

Don't use AA gun mod 1 or Secondary battery mod 1 unless you're making an AA-centric high-tier cruiser/battleship or gimmick Secondary battleship build.

++++Tier 4 Mods:

Damage control system modification 1: A Bad Mod. This also works multiplicatively, not subtractively, according to russian devs. If the enemy has a 10% chance to set you on fire and you have a 7% reduction, say - then it becomes 9.3% chance for you to be set on fire. The same is true for the fire reduction captain skill. (Note that this doesn't affect repair chances, just chance to be set on fire/flooded.)

Propulsion modification 1: Extremely good for destroyers. Note this is affected by the multiplicative repair calculation.

Steering Gears modification 1: I roll with this most of the time in Cruisers and Battleships. Note this is affected by the multiplicative repair calculation.

+++++Tier Five Mods:

Main Battery Modification 2: Actually very useful if your turrets are glacially slow and you don't mind the hit to reload speed if you find yourself unable to put guns on target quick enough time after time. Dependent on playstyle.

Torpedo Tubes Modification 2: Improves ability to get your tubes back, good for torping destroyers.

Gun Fire Control System Modification 1: I see most heavy cruisers and battleships roll with this to decrease the dispersion god's effects. light cruisers like the Cleve, murmansk, and 155 mogami don't really need this, as well as any other ship that has a reputation for being decently accurate already. Note that this mod can also increase the firing range of some ships by 16% and DECREASE accuracy on some ships - not sure which though, always been accuracy for me.. Be sure to check the description for each ship you're putting it on. More noticeable when firing full broadside instead of staggered shots. At 10km, increased accuracy seems to be about 6-8%. Groupings are tighter on average more for cruisers than battleships.

Flight Control Modification 1: Probably good for strike teams, but I think with the CV fighter meta, I see most people (even the IJN strike CVs) roll:

Air Groups Modification 2: For the increased fighter durability for dogfights. For the IJN CVs, that's probably a bit more time to tie up a USN CV fighter group while they anti-ship.

AA Guns Modification 2: Good if you are stacking AA stuff, but currently barely anyone is really playing CVs. Good if you want to pimp your Des Moines/Iowa/etc and kill a billion Midway planes but still die probably.

Secondary Battery Modification 2: This is for a Secondary battleship gimmick build.

++++++Tier 6 Mods

Damage Control System Modification 2: Good for all ship types - CVs, Battleships, cruisers, and destroyers, in order of preference. Note this is affected by the multiplicative repair calculation. Should be the go-to for CVs specifically.

Propulsion Modification 2: Probably good for destroyers, but in my opinion I always go for:

Steering Gears Modification 2: Evading is just too important to me in almost every ship to not get this. Possibly could be skipped for ships that have extremely tight turning response.

++++++++Tier 8 Mods

Target Acquisition System Modification 1: DO NOT GET THIS it's terrible and would only be useful in a small amount of specific situations regarding draw distance and max torpedos with say the Kagero. Devs did chime in on this skill and admitted it's not currently useful. The 20% torpedo acquisition bonus also does NOT stack with the tier 3 captain skill, any torpedo acquisition bonus is capped at 20% max. You can grab it in the instance to skip the tier 3 captain skill if you wanted another tier 3 skill replaced for battleships and CVs. But the other acquisition stuff you can ignore, it doesn't do what you think it does.

Concealment System Modification 1: An excellent mod. Get it.

+++++++++Tier 9 Mods - This is for the current T9-T10 meta.

Main Battery Modification 3: Worth it for some 203 cruisers, or battleships if you take the time to position yourself way ahead of time. Playstyle choice here.

Torpedo Tubes Modification 3: Good for destroyers - you took all those other torpedo mods in order to mitigate that +50% incapacitated risk.

Gun Fire Control System Modification 2: Can be useful for cruisers and destroyer gunboats plinking at other cruisers and battleships and CVs. Depends on existing ship range and t9-t10 meta.

Flight Control Modification 2: Most CVs instead roll:

Air Groups Modification 3: This one for CVs.

AA Guns Modification 3: You can make your Iowa into a floating fighter! Very good in conjunction with the other AA mods to shoot down lots of planes for both battleships and cruisers in t9 and t10. Since you'll see t9 and t10 CVs, you'll still not kill all of their strike teams etc. before they get to you, though.

Secondary Battery Modification 3: For the silly Secondary battleship builds.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 19, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
For US BBs, the effects of Gun Fire Control System mods 1 and 2 are swapped. This means that BBs get the range increase mod at T5, and the Accuracy mod at T9, while all other ships get it the other way around.

:wargaming:
At least it helps US BBs stay competitive range-wise, but thanks to this unique difference, US BBs are typically less accurate across the board compared to their IJN counterparts from Tiers 5-8. That doesn't make them bad, just... different.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Weltlich posted:

IMO best lines for new player to start are USN CAs and IJN DDs. US CA line is very strong tiers 3-6, IJN DDs are torpedo boats that are never seen (in theory). USN line will teach you general gameplay like firing and hitting, HE/AP use and angling of armor. IJN DD line will teach you more specific things like sight range, smoke use, more strategic gameplay and will give you some insight on what opposing DDs will do when you are in CA or BB. Cant say much about CVs, I dont play those. IJN BB line is ok it got Kongo at tier 5 and that ship is great. German CAs past Karlsruhe are support cruisers. Low HP, little armor, best range. Be prepared to pass most of your time at your max range raining shots at opposition. Going into brawl on German CA is generally suicide. Russian DDs are gunboats so use your guns and use torpedos for ambush.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Weltlich posted:

If you meant game mods rather than the mods you buy and fit to ships, the only really necessary ones are the one that puts bigger, easier to see torpedo icons up on your screen indicating when and where torpedoes are coming from, so you have a good idea where not to steer in the middle of a fight where you can't turn your camera, if you play carriers a bunch, there's mod which tells you which ship each enemy squadron is from, which is handy if you have a 2v2 with different tiered opponents, and the minimap mod which puts ship names to icons and includes last spotted position.

Everything else is aesthetics.

They're all available in the Aslains mod pack, which comes with handy installer just like in Tanks.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 19, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Pacra posted:

just idle. eventually a division or two will happen. if you join up, see empty ship chat besides the lobby, and then leave, then WELP

Been in here for 24 hours. Other than your message, you're the only one that I've been in contact with.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

looks like a few people might still be using TS?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Also I should clarify there's currently 6 or 7 people that like to div in VOIP because the rest of the thread inhabitants seem not to enjoy things like "winning" and "fun with goons"

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't get it Pacra, I see a bunch of people idling but hey nothing new.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hngh.

It was a 4 cap domination on Two Brothers. Most of our team went to the A cap and most of theirs went to the D cap. I fought a delaying action across C and kept getting crippling, but not killing salvos on ships only to see them pull out of range and live because there wasn't anyone finishing off targets. They were too busy trying to engage a Tirpitz head-on which went about as well as one would expect.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Does ship speed affect concealment? I had a pubbie that sounded like he was telling me in an izzy to slow down so I won't be detected till 4km. Ie, torp range. However, my luck has been spotted by 6km in it no matter what. And even at max range, I'm getting spotted as soon as I fire my guns.

This has lately been happening in my blys as well. Enemy had no dds left, so that wasn't the cause. And detection was by surface, not by air. When the blys first came out, I don't remember this happening.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JuffoWup posted:

Does ship speed affect concealment?

No, it does not. The pubby was dumb. It DOES in Steel Ocean, but not in World of Warships. Slowing down can give you more time to react to wandering close to being detected, though.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Does ship speed affect concealment? I had a pubbie that sounded like he was telling me in an izzy to slow down so I won't be detected till 4km. Ie, torp range. However, my luck has been spotted by 6km in it no matter what. And even at max range, I'm getting spotted as soon as I fire my guns.

This has lately been happening in my blys as well. Enemy had no dds left, so that wasn't the cause. And detection was by surface, not by air. When the blys first came out, I don't remember this happening.

I have heard that hitting speed boost in a Destroyer does slightly increase the distance you are spotted, but I dont know for certain, or how much. Otherwise it does not matter if you are scooting along at 40 knots or parked.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
I can't find anything and figured it was bullshit, are they going to change the Atago? Some pubbie I blasted in a game told me to enjoy it while it lasted because the Atago was going to be nerfed, like I had a personal relationship with the ship.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Bitter Beard posted:

I can't find anything and figured it was bullshit, are they going to change the Atago? Some pubbie I blasted in a game told me to enjoy it while it lasted because the Atago was going to be nerfed, like I had a personal relationship with the ship.

haha no
if anything high tier cruisers may get even more buffs

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I like the hundreds of pro tier umikazes flooding low tier games for that pearl mission

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
After upgrading to the Hatsuharu (goodbye all my credits!) I'm seriously thinking screw Tier VI and above, I'm going to get an Isokaze and beat on newbies for the rest of my WoWS days.

Then I had a high caliber + arsonist game with my Cleveland and got to Rank 17 and I'm not mad anymore.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Finally got Montana. What can I say, it just looks worse than Iowa in every way except citadel armor.

e:

That AA though.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 20, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ocean + Farragut + Benson enemy = least fun of the day

Torpedo range was flatly impossible, every time I opened up with guns the Benson shot out my rudder, and then everything over there unloaded at me. Cruising up and down in straight lines, all weapons silent, waiting for lines of pubs to slog at each other from max range is enough boredom to want to uninstall the game.

The only map worse than ocean is Passage

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 20, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

I have heard that hitting speed boost in a Destroyer does slightly increase the distance you are spotted, but I dont know for certain, or how much. Otherwise it does not matter if you are scooting along at 40 knots or parked.

It used to, but that got changed so that the speed boost only affects your speed (as it should).

Aesis posted:

Finally got Montana. What can I say, it just looks worse than Iowa in every way except citadel armor.

e:

That AA though.

It has an extra turret! And there's the possibility that it'll someday be buffed to be on par with the Yamato.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
There's a new update. Does anyone else get stuck at around 70 / 86.5 MB? It slows to a 1 kb/s crawl at that point. I deleted the update files and tried again, same poo poo.

edit: changing the port for incoming connections in the launcher options fixed it.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 20, 2016

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

El Disco posted:

It has an extra turret! And there's the possibility that it'll someday be buffed to be on par with the Yamato.

That'll be the day. They were talking way back toward the end of summer about buffing the Montana and nothing has come of it yet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

NTRabbit posted:

The only map worse than ocean is Passage

I think Ocean's worse, it's this game's equivalent of Malinovka.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

Well the only buff I can think of is increasing overmatch constant to gently caress over Yamato tbh.

Also concealment Montana :v: Camo, Concealment skill and module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

El Disco posted:

And there's the possibility that it'll someday be buffed to be on par with the Yamato.

hahaha youre funny