Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

my1999gsr posted:

In the early stages of building a "fix", there was a buy back option discussed as part of a proposed 3 tier replace and/or repair program but that option has been (according to the last discussion I had with technical support) scrapped. Now, the newest info circulating (unsubstantiated currently) is the older, DPF equipped but non-adblue TDIs owners will be offered a replacement non-tdi, base model Jetta/Golf brand new. CJAA-equipped TDI vehicles will get an adblue retrofit and newer TDIs already equipped with adblue will get a newer flash update. Again, these are only rumors around corporate and among the dealers so take it with a grain of salt.

Where do they plan on putting an adblue tank on my car that doesn't eat into cargo room that I actually use on a somewhat regular basis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

fknlo posted:

Where do they plan on putting an adblue tank on my car that doesn't eat into cargo room that I actually use on a somewhat regular basis?
Say goodbye to some cargo room.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bizwank posted:

Say goodbye to some cargo room.

Yeah, I don't really find that kind of solution acceptable if that's all they're going to do.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I don't really find that kind of solution acceptable if that's all they're going to do.
Here's all the fucks VW gives about whether you find their solution "acceptable": :flip:

They're trying to appease the EPA/justice department; if they don't piss off and lose all of their customers in the process, that's just a bonus. Personally the only reason I got into the VAG group in the first place was for the TDI so if I get hit with a mandatory buy-back I'm just sticking that money in my Tesla M3 jar and taking the bus for a while. The gently caress do I want with a petrol engine in 2016.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bizwank posted:

The gently caress do I want with a petrol engine in 2016.

Diesels in small car are dead. You're just going to have to deal with it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Yup. I think even VW knew this before the scandal broke. Just imagine the internet points they could have gotten if the Sportwagen Alltrack was available with a diesel and/or manual. I'm really not willing to give up any cargo space in my Golf though. I've used literally every bit we could on a trip to Colorado with 4 guys and all of our snowboarding gear in the car after the roof rack attachment broke off on the highway. I don't know how the hell we got it all in, but we did. Losing a couple of cubic feet of space would absolutely make a difference in how I use the car.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dissss posted:

Yeah, I'm going to "deal with it" by getting out of internal combustion entirely. My electricity is cheap and my commute is short so I'm either headed for a hybrid or full electric (A3 e-tron or M3). I love my TDI, especially with all the hills around here, but I'm not willing to take a step back. RIP diesel.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

So you are saying that the current rumor is 2009 CBEA owners will be told "new car!" which presumably nearly everyone would take,, 2010-2014 CJAA will get the option of new car or AdBlue retrofit, and 2015 will get an ECU reflash? While we're speculating I wonder which model they would go with with the MK5 cars. Trading a 2010 TDi for an S would be quite the downgrade in features but still going from a 2010 to a 2016 car with full warranty isn't anything to sneeze at.

I presume they would then retrofit the lower mileage traded CJAAs for resale to recoup some of that money.

That's the last info kicking around that I'm privy to. The details are few and far between whenever we have a recall or RVU in the works - even more so with something as touchy as this. From what I've heard, the cars VW will be offering will be base models but the whole strategy could be dumped or revised tomorrow.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

fknlo posted:

At this point, it's looking like the spare tire will be replaced with an adblue tank. Both brands are slowly abandoning the spare tire option in favor of an inflator system anyway.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
By the way - as far as customer upset, most of the diesel customers I've talked to (through the dealership and on the street) share the same "don't give a poo poo" opinion on the whole "dieselgate" issue. They literally couldn't care less as long as they get great fuel mileage and those TDIs certainly do that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

my1999gsr posted:

By the way - as far as customer upset, most of the diesel customers I've talked to (through the dealership and on the street) share the same "don't give a poo poo" opinion on the whole "dieselgate" issue. They literally couldn't care less as long as they get great fuel mileage and those TDIs certainly do that.

The question is whether that remains the case after whatever alterations that need to be done are done.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

my1999gsr posted:

At this point, it's looking like the spare tire will be replaced with an adblue tank. Both brands are slowly abandoning the spare tire option in favor of an inflator system anyway.

I have space for a spare in my R, but as a cost saving feature I got a can of fixaflat and an air pump.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A question about the batteries and the engine start in general on a 2014 Jetta TDI:

Last night I was an idiot and left my lights on in a parking garage. The manager of the garage came by with one of those jump-start battery packs to get me going again, but for whatever reason it would not work with my car at all. He said he had just unplugged it, but when I went to turn the car on it would just make a rapid clicking noise and not actually turn over. The battery was entirely dead when he got there with only the most minimal electrical so the fact that i was able to turn the radio on while he had it hooked up seems to indicate that it wasn't an issue with connecting it improperly. After he gave up I phoned a friend and was able to get a jump off of his car with no problem.

My wife and I have been thinking about getting one of those battery jump things to stash in the trunk but after this I'm having second thoughts. Is there something about the diesels that make them not work? Do you need a beefier one than you would need to jump a gas car? Or was that garage's jump pack just lovely or out of juice?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Cyrano4747 posted:

A question about the batteries and the engine start in general on a 2014 Jetta TDI:

Last night I was an idiot and left my lights on in a parking garage. The manager of the garage came by with one of those jump-start battery packs to get me going again, but for whatever reason it would not work with my car at all. He said he had just unplugged it, but when I went to turn the car on it would just make a rapid clicking noise and not actually turn over. The battery was entirely dead when he got there with only the most minimal electrical so the fact that i was able to turn the radio on while he had it hooked up seems to indicate that it wasn't an issue with connecting it improperly. After he gave up I phoned a friend and was able to get a jump off of his car with no problem.

My wife and I have been thinking about getting one of those battery jump things to stash in the trunk but after this I'm having second thoughts. Is there something about the diesels that make them not work? Do you need a beefier one than you would need to jump a gas car? Or was that garage's jump pack just lovely or out of juice?

My wife's 2010 died last year in January. Our insurance's roadside assistance had a guy come by with one of those battery pack ones as well. He ended up having to jump me with his car. It stayed dead when I got to work and turned it off and on again. I had to replace it. It might be a diesel thing, but I never experienced a battery being completed dead like that. I know some batteries, like on motorcycles, need chargers specific to their size. But almost all car batteries I've dealt with recharged a bit with minimal driving. And I actually just replaced the battery again about four months ago. Same thing, completely drained.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The car has started fine twice since then, so I don't think the battery is hosed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Battery is probably fine, just that the jumper didn't have enough amps to start the car. Now see if you had a manual transmission :smaug:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You needed a beefier starter pack because your battery was dead-dead and couldn't contribute anything to the effort. Most of those packs only put out a few hundred cranking amps and the 50A draw from the glow plugs plus the starter was too much for the booster pack and the voltage was dropping too low for the starter relay to stay engaged. It would engage, voltage would instantly drop, disengage, voltage would recover enough to reengage it, repeat a few dozen times a second.

Get your battery charged all the way up and take it by an autozone or whatever to get it tested. One solid deep discharge could be enough to really weaken it.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Went to pick up my car after the clutch and flywheel were finished being replaced. Car sat outside in the cold for half a day, and when I went to start it, it misfired for about 10 seconds and died.

I'm guessing coil packs for the 1000th time...

Car didn't even let me finish paying for my last repair before failing me again. This is my last VW.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

The car has started fine twice since then, so I don't think the battery is hosed.

You need a damned good jump pack for TDI starters. I always try to get a battery with at least 850-900 CCA when I replace mine, especially if you live in a place with chilly winters.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I have a 2011 GTI, been happy with it so far with just standard scheduled maintenence. At 55000km (34000 miles) and replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs after a CEL. Anything else I should be checking to ensure long term reliability (I know... VW....)

Just anything thats worth checking or replacing before it becomes a horrible problem.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

jeff8472 posted:

I have a 2011 GTI, been happy with it so far with just standard scheduled maintenence. At 55000km (34000 miles) and replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs after a CEL. Anything else I should be checking to ensure long term reliability (I know... VW....)

Just anything thats worth checking or replacing before it becomes a horrible problem.
Timing chain tensioner, but probably not until around 75K.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do those still have that problem of the cam follower eating away at the cam? If so, check that.

DSG? Change the DSG oil soonish.
Manual? Change the manual oil sometime in the next couple of years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

California has rejected VW's amelioration plan.

quote:

But California regulators said VW had failed so far to properly describe its use of the defeat devices and how those would be affected by the proposed recall plan. The carmaker, the air board said, also did not provide enough details about its technical fixes to allow regulators “to evaluate whether they could be successful or are even technically feasible.” In addition, it said VW had not explained how its recall plans would affect the engine’s operation and performance.

That seems reasonable enough to me.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

jeff8472 posted:

I have a 2011 GTI, been happy with it so far with just standard scheduled maintenance. At 55000km (34000 miles) and replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs after a CEL. Anything else I should be checking to ensure long term reliability (I know... VW....)

I think there's some costs savings to be had from doing the fuel pump at the same time as the timing chain, so I did both around 75,000 or 80,000 miles. I'm not sure if that's included in the recommended maintenance or not, but probably? I've had fuel pumps from two other non-VW/Audi vehicles go out around 95,000 miles, and in both cases the cars were all hosed up from that point on.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Uthor posted:

Do those still have that problem of the cam follower eating away at the cam? If so, check that.

DSG? Change the DSG oil soonish.
Manual? Change the manual oil sometime in the next couple of years.

That was an issue with the Fsi engines which were made up until 2008.5 on the GTIs. A variation is used for the golf R however.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Went to the dealer today to activate the goodwill giftcards for my golf. It was pretty painless but pretty entertaining. The manager told me that the demand for these cars is going up like crazy and the values will follow shortly. I told him I don't believe any of that and he says "yeah I know it's hard to believe" :lol:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It really isn't that hard to believe if you talk to "normal" people about it (ie. not in the industry or visitors of car forums). Everyone has their own reasons for wanting a particular make/model/engine/trim level/color; fuel economy and brand reputation are just one small part of that and often take a back seat to emotions. Hell, almost everyone I've talked to about it outside of here doesn't know much more then VW cheated on something diesel emissions and are getting fined/recalled? As with most news stories your average person can regurgitate a few headlines and that's the depth of their knowledge/concern on the topic; it's silly to think that this will play out any different.

KBB data does show most diesel models are dropping in value faster then their petrol counterparts, with a few exceptions (http://buybackmytdi.com/index.php/10-main-news/44-kbb-values), but I believe that's in part due to the self-fulfilling prophecy about their values. People believe they've lost value, so they list/trade them in for less then they would have before and subsequently values are driven down. I wouldn't be surprised to see them rebound once the fix is in and it's performance/efficiency effects are known.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

bizwank posted:

It really isn't that hard to believe if you talk to "normal" people about it (ie. not in the industry or visitors of car forums). Everyone has their own reasons for wanting a particular make/model/engine/trim level/color; fuel economy and brand reputation are just one small part of that and often take a back seat to emotions. Hell, almost everyone I've talked to about it outside of here doesn't know much more then VW cheated on something diesel emissions and are getting fined/recalled? As with most news stories your average person can regurgitate a few headlines and that's the depth of their knowledge/concern on the topic; it's silly to think that this will play out any different.

KBB data does show most diesel models are dropping in value faster then their petrol counterparts, with a few exceptions (http://buybackmytdi.com/index.php/10-main-news/44-kbb-values), but I believe that's in part due to the self-fulfilling prophecy about their values. People believe they've lost value, so they list/trade them in for less then they would have before and subsequently values are driven down. I wouldn't be surprised to see them rebound once the fix is in and it's performance/efficiency effects are known.

Kind of have to agree with this, most of our friends and family who aren't car people maybe know a snippet or two, had a couple of people not even know there was this whole dieselgate.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yup, speaking to a few people they were all surprised that it's still going on. They said they thought the "recall thing" was over with since it wasn't in the news anymore.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a P2181 Cooling System Performance fault on my MKV GTI. Some searching shows that this could be low coolant, temperature sensor, thermostat, or water pump.

I should check the coolant level, then replace the sensor (seems cheap and easy). If that doesn't work, take it to the shop as the thermostat looks like a PITA to get to, especially since I'd be on the ground in the winter. Hopefully it's not the water pump as I had that replaced last year during my timing belt service.

Anything else I should look at?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Anything else I should look at?

UPDATE: I reset the light and drove 150 miles without it coming back on. I'm ignoring it for now!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I just read that VW is getting sued in the German courts by their larger investors (institutional-grade and the mega-individuals). Basically they are saying that VW had knowledge of its exposure on this emissions cheating long before it became public, so their filings where they outline risks to investors were fraudulent. Note that VW's stock has dropped about 30% since the emissions problems emerged.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yes but what damage can they show huh huh huh

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So, update on my '16 Jetta check engine light issue -

Basically my check engine light came on at 150 miles, brake pressure sensor, brought it to the dealer, they claimed it had a busted ecu :rolleyes: and after nearly 2 weeks of rocking a loaner, they gave it back with a new ecu.

Drove it about 100 miles and the light came on again, surprise surprise. I called them and they claimed they couldn't get me an appointment and loaner for a month, but my fiance bitched them out and lo and behold we got a loaner the next day. They just called back and still have "no idea" what is wrong and are still diagnosing it.

I'm thinking at this point I just want a new car, I know it's only a lease but cmon, I can't keep dealing with this poo poo. I guess 3 times and it gets lemon lawed anyways.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Brake pressure sensor code. Better replace the ECU.

Sound logic.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

veedubfreak posted:

Sound logic.

Co-Workers Infiniti land barge's auto folding mirrors failed. They replaced the actual transmission to fix that one. Under warranty at least.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Alighieri posted:

Co-Workers Infiniti land barge's auto folding mirrors failed. They replaced the actual transmission to fix that one. Under warranty at least.

Ya, but isn't that just a terrible design where that is the actual fix?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

veedubfreak posted:

Sound logic.

Dealer diagnostics are great sometimes.

At least with my Hyundai they got the subsystem right, they just replaced the same part 4-5 times before figuring that *maybe* they should replace the other part of the faulting system. Of course their techs managed to damage the interior a bunch leading to uphill battles, and the dealer waiting area is blah.

If I ever buy another new car again, the dealer waiting lounge is going to be the deciding factor.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, but isn't that just a terrible design where that is the actual fix?

Genuine question: what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

spog posted:

Genuine question: what?

Drawing parallels to a story I'd heard a while back:

Customer has a drive train warranty on a Nissan, and the slave cylinder goes out.
Slave cylinder is located inside the bell housing of the transmission, so the transmission needs to come out.
Nissan dealer won't honor the drive train warranty, as it only covers internal transmission components and not accessories.
Customer pitches a fit because how is an integral part of the transmission, located inside the body of the transmission, which requires removal of the transmission to service, not considered part of the drive train?
Nissan dealer eventually relents, I recall.

In the story you're wondering about, it sounds like Nissan/Infiniti has placed the switch responsible for activating the auto-adjusting side mirrors (and possibly the reversing lights, camera system?) inside the transmission itself instead of somewhere more sensible.