Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I think I'm going to give a couple NPCs infinite overdrive builds, but I'm not sure which one to pick, beyond Elma and Lin. Those two have some nice team wide buffs (ghost factory and shield wall, respectively), so even if they can't pump out the damage as well as a player character they can keep the team alive pretty well. Irina and L have group heals, and most knife users have single heals. Celica is looking like a good number three for her skillset, but I'm not entirely sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to do the collectopedia, but I can't find a prapaya in Noctilum. So far I've just had everything or found the location online. This one is being kind of elusive.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

I think I'm going to give a couple NPCs infinite overdrive builds, but I'm not sure which one to pick, beyond Elma and Lin. Those two have some nice team wide buffs (ghost factory and shield wall, respectively), so even if they can't pump out the damage as well as a player character they can keep the team alive pretty well. Irina and L have group heals, and most knife users have single heals. Celica is looking like a good number three for her skillset, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm not certain that the AI understands how to do infinite overdrive or that they need to always keep Ghostwalker up. I'd love to be proven wrong by somebody who has seen them do it, though

If you want them to be non-useless, your best bet is probably just giving them skells. It's a simplified combat system of nothing but cooldowns, so they're a little more capable of using it well

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

lesbian baphomet posted:

I'm not certain that the AI understands how to do infinite overdrive or that they need to always keep Ghostwalker up. I'd love to be proven wrong by somebody who has seen them do it, though

If you want them to be non-useless, your best bet is probably just giving them skells. It's a simplified combat system of nothing but cooldowns, so they're a little more capable of using it well

They probably don't, but hey, if I only give them two TP using arts they're probably going to use the ones I want more often (Dispel, Ghost Factory, Wild Down). And chances are that If I give them an Extend Overdrive XX aug with two TP augs they'll be able to just go overdrive again when the first runs out. After all, they love burning TP. Plus there's always the order to go overdrive.

In other news I just decided to stick it out against Plume now that his reflect won't get my ground build. managed to kill it 96 times before timing out. Probably could have done more if I had been more focused on murdering it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Safety Scissors posted:

I'm trying to do the collectopedia, but I can't find a prapaya in Noctilum. So far I've just had everything or found the location online. This one is being kind of elusive.

It's a common so it drops all over, just drive in a skell on Qin Long Glade, you should get it.

I've got the final Curio for Primordia to get and it's apparently on Arendt bridge but so far I've had absolutely no luck at all!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just have one collectible in Oblivia and two in Cauldros and I am completely 100% done with the Collectopedia!

I haven't had to specifically hunt down what I'm missing yet. I've been lucky; I've just randomly run across what I was missing from tooling around the area.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I just have one collectible in Oblivia and two in Cauldros and I am completely 100% done with the Collectopedia!

I haven't had to specifically hunt down what I'm missing yet. I've been lucky; I've just randomly run across what I was missing from tooling around the area.

It's a pain that it's possible to be lucky and be in the right place at the right time to pick up the stuff you need. Unfortunately I've got one thing missing from each and every area and they all seem to be really specific.

What actually happens when you complete the whole thing? I got 12 battle points for completing Relics across every continent, is it something like that?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

lesbian baphomet posted:

I'm pretty sure the AI just uses arts as they come off cooldown, so keeping Ghostwalker up wouldn't be a problem. I don't know if they'll ever hit the overdrive button again while they're still in overdrive, though.

Maybe if you give them a bunch of extend overdrive augs, and a mixture of multi-hit attacks and green arts, they'll get to the point where the green arts are giving them significant extensions before the timer ever runs out? But that depends on getting the counter high enough, which depends on them not using the same colour arts in a row all the time, which is not guaranteed to happen.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The game keeps telling me I have Division Spoils waiting, but I can't figure out how to claim them.

Is the max level for the Mechanical/Biological/Archeological skills lv 4? It's bullshit that I'm already running into probe sites in Primordia that require Mechanical lv 3. I'm only Blade lv 3 you assholes!!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The game keeps telling me I have Division Spoils waiting, but I can't figure out how to claim them.

Is the max level for the Mechanical/Biological/Archeological skills lv 4? It's bullshit that I'm already running into probe sites in Primordia that require Mechanical lv 3. I'm only Blade lv 3 you assholes!!!

The maximum is 5. To get to 5 you have to do a quest that appears on the mission board. It's different quests for each skill. They don't give you a follow ball for those quests either although there's plenty of guides. Of course it requires that mission to actually APPEAR on the board which they haven't for me yet.

To get division spoils go to the Barracks. There's a room with other players stood around in it and a console. Go to the last option in the list which I think is Division Information? The spoils are under there.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
What's the easiest way to get research probes? I've hit up an immense number of yellow treasure sites but get stupid items or mining probes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

What's the easiest way to get research probes? I've hit up an immense number of yellow treasure sites but get stupid items or mining probes.

There really aren't that many research probes in the game, you just have to find the right treasures. But you will end up getting like 10 mining probes for every 1 research. The probe guide earlier on has about 15/20 placed research probes whereas all of Primordia is Mining G8 alone.

Edit: Here is the guide. It has 19 research probes, 12 storage probes, 4 duplicator probes and 65 mining ones.
Just to give you an idea!

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

It's a common so it drops all over, just drive in a skell on Qin Long Glade, you should get it.

I've got the final Curio for Primordia to get and it's apparently on Arendt bridge but so far I've had absolutely no luck at all!

I've looked for other things that were there, but I actually had more luck finding them near the mine up north or underneath the bridge.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Taear posted:

There really aren't that many research probes in the game, you just have to find the right treasures. But you will end up getting like 10 mining probes for every 1 research. The probe guide earlier on has about 15/20 placed research probes whereas all of Primordia is Mining G8 alone.

Edit: Here is the guide. It has 19 research probes, 12 storage probes, 4 duplicator probes and 65 mining ones.
Just to give you an idea!

Thanks, I think I'll rearrange some probes to mimic that guide. I've been putting it off but I need to hit $70k to beat that douche Tobias at FrontierNet and prove that me, not him, is the best, and in the end he will realize he has a stupid name and lovely hair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Thanks, I think I'll rearrange some probes to mimic that guide. I've been putting it off but I need to hit $70k to beat that douche Tobias at FrontierNet and prove that me, not him, is the best, and in the end he will realize he has a stupid name and lovely hair.

This is all true fact.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

He wants 100k next. I've been playing for 80 hours now and I'm only at 85k, I don't even have any probes left! And I'm following that guide too.
I do kinda wonder where I get the other storage probes from, I don't think I've got any of those from treasures but perhaps I didn't notice. I don't think it's very good at showing you since it stacks with all the collectables and rolls by in groups of 3/4.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Taear posted:

He wants 100k next. I've been playing for 80 hours now and I'm only at 85k, I don't even have any probes left! And I'm following that guide too.
I do kinda wonder where I get the other storage probes from, I don't think I've got any of those from treasures but perhaps I didn't notice. I don't think it's very good at showing you since it stacks with all the collectables and rolls by in groups of 3/4.

130k actually. The majority of your probes are going to come from just opening mechanical treasures, so if you need more, I suggest you start treasure hunting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

130k actually. The majority of your probes are going to come from just opening mechanical treasures, so if you need more, I suggest you start treasure hunting.

Yes. I know. That's why I said basically that a few posts up.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Do Booster probes work on Duplicator and other Booster probes?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Do Booster probes work on Duplicator and other Booster probes?

I think so. At least, I want to believe so since I've seen set ups plant boosters next to duplicators and boosters.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Taear posted:

I just managed to do that quest last night! I followed that Gamefaqs probe guide linked earlier to the best of my ability, but what put me over the edge to 130k was hunting down sightseeing spots. Putting your probes on areas with sightseeing spots, and actually finding all those spots, makes you a ton of money!

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
You can boost duplicators.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I just managed to do that quest last night! I followed that Gamefaqs probe guide linked earlier to the best of my ability, but what put me over the edge to 130k was hunting down sightseeing spots. Putting your probes on areas with sightseeing spots, and actually finding all those spots, makes you a ton of money!

Wait now. Finding them boosts the money? I've maybe found three of them in total and I think they've all been in Cauldros.

I thought just them existing was what gave you more money, is that not the case?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Taear posted:

Wait now. Finding them boosts the money? I've maybe found three of them in total and I think they've all been in Cauldros.

I thought just them existing was what gave you more money, is that not the case?

Yeah, you know how when you click on the probe it'll say like "Sightseeing spots discovered 0/2" or whatever? If you go and FIND the spots, it'll say 2/2, and give you more money from that probe.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, you know how when you click on the probe it'll say like "Sightseeing spots discovered 0/2" or whatever? If you go and FIND the spots, it'll say 2/2, and give you more money from that probe.

Well I knew the first part I just didn't realise that finding them gave more money. Does the game ever tell you that anywhere at all? Man some of the mechanics in this (like the quest for level 5 mechanics) are so opaque.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

White Mortifole Feathers will just not drop for me. I've gotten two the entire game and grind session on those stupid flowers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

White Mortifole Feathers will just not drop for me. I've gotten two the entire game and grind session on those stupid flowers.

Can you not buy them with reward tickets?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

Are you targeting the top part of the flower? The head has the highest drop rate for feathers. I was swimming in the things before too long.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ometeotl posted:

Hover above them on your skell and target aim the top part of the flower, they're breakables.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Taear posted:

Well I knew the first part I just didn't realise that finding them gave more money. Does the game ever tell you that anywhere at all? Man some of the mechanics in this (like the quest for level 5 mechanics) are so opaque.

I'm pretty sure Kristy mentions early on that the research probes allow NLA citizens to see the wonders of Mira from the safety of their homes, and generate revenue that way. More sightseeing spots = higher ratings = more cash for you

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ChaosArgate posted:

Can you not buy them with reward tickets?

I need those for Neilnail masks.

Silver Falcon posted:

Are you targeting the top part of the flower? The head has the highest drop rate for feathers. I was swimming in the things before too long.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hover above them on your skell and target aim the top part of the flower, they're breakables.

I'll try it. I didn't see other targeting points when I was fighting them, but I guess I just missed them.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got the Ares90 last night. Obviously what everyone has said about it is true. It's good, REALLY good, maybe too good? But it's fun.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HalfHazard posted:

I'm pretty sure Kristy mentions early on that the research probes allow NLA citizens to see the wonders of Mira from the safety of their homes, and generate revenue that way. More sightseeing spots = higher ratings = more cash for you

That's pretty obtuse though, a game mechanic shouldn't really be hidden in flavour text. Especially not flavour text I probably read 70 hours ago.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Taear posted:

That's pretty obtuse though, a game mechanic shouldn't really be hidden in flavour text. Especially not flavour text I probably read 70 hours ago.

It's kind of a clue that they're marked as an area value alongside revenue and production

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's kind of a clue that they're marked as an area value alongside revenue and production

I disagree! It just seems like a decent place to put that piece of information rather than it being a direct way of raising revenue. You see it and think "Oh there are sightseeing spots, guess that's another thing to discover" then forget about it unless it's a bit more signposted.

Man Xenoblade is the only game I've ever had with an electronic manual where I wish I had a paper one so I could constantly refer to it since it's essentially more of a map key than anything else.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Taear posted:

I disagree! It just seems like a decent place to put that piece of information rather than it being a direct way of raising revenue. You see it and think "Oh there are sightseeing spots, guess that's another thing to discover" then forget about it unless it's a bit more signposted.

Man Xenoblade is the only game I've ever had with an electronic manual where I wish I had a paper one so I could constantly refer to it since it's essentially more of a map key than anything else.

You may want to print this out then.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I don't own a printer. I don't know anyone who does any longer either unfortunately, or I would. I've had it open on my phone but it's not as easy to get to and flick through as an actual manual would be.

I guess I'm saying I can't decide if it's good that so much info is manual-only. Even with older games that had enormous detail filled manuals - like say Arcanum - I still didn't have to refer to the thing constantly to remind myself of mechanics that might have been explained ages ago or not explained at all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

IIRC its in the descriptor text for Sightseeing probes, wording along the lines of XXX money per found sightseeing spot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This affinity mission is having me get >3000 bucks from FrontierNav in one go. I dunno how to get paid so I'm just standing here waiting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the post game any fun? I liked ground combat more than mech combat if that helps but it doesn't feel like there's anything left for me to really learn so it's just crafting for gear upgrades to kill bigger things. Does it take a stupid long amount of time to craft said upgrades? The augments look like Yes but I don't know if you really need those.

• Locked thread