Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody keeping tabs on the game "dreadnought"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm0g7mDKFq0

Dreadnought owns, I've played it at pax a few times. Closed beta is starting very shortly. I've even heard rumors that there are goons in the Alpha. Maybe Yaeger is going to make an announcement at Pax South in a few weeks.

It is, however, F2P, which may be a turn off for some people. But if you like 5v5 Submarine style combat, but in space, this game is sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

But you're only permitted one opinion about any of them.

God forbid you don't like your space scarf.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hoping my scarves have fidelity.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

ONE play session.... behold the Star Citizen in all his glory

Like a toddler who does not get shapes getting mad after he tried for an hour to fit that red square block through the triangle hole. What a clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ZIHWZC43c

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

You know, I appreciate the passion with which you dig this stuff up, but I just don't get why anymore. Everyone here knows she's an awful person. Most of the Brown Sea knows it too- nobody was thrilled when she took over. I don't see why it's worth the effort anymore.

Maybe it's me. It's not that my opinion of any of it has improved, it's just so consistently, blandly bad in every aspect that it's not really entertaining to read about anymore. Every day I come in here and it's like "Oh look, the Citizens are stupid, racist, gullible idiots. Chris Roberts promised something unfeasible. Sandi did something self-aggrandizing and narcissistic, Derek referenced his blogs, Ben was generally tragic, and no new gameplay was released. Here's a new jpeg, it looks worse than the old ones."

I think I'm burning out on hating Star Citizen.
That's a fair point, Sarsapariller.

I sometimes do overlong posts like that because I assume some of the readers here are new and don't really have big picture context on stuff. Sorry if it's old, boring news to you, though.

If you're burned out on it all, I don't blame you. I'm OCD enough to still be fascinated by it all. I would not be but for the historic scale of this monstrosity, the apparent dysfunction of the people behind it, and the seemingly criminal economic model underneath it all. I can't believe they've gotten away with this much and that, despite some near brushes with a reckoning, they remain so brazenly arrogant. I just can't believe it. I keep wondering, "Are they going to get away with all of this?" So far, they have.

But for those three particular conditions (the scale, the dysfunction, the criminality), I'd probably be bored of it, too. But put them together, and they have the makings of a time bomb. It's hard for me to get bored when there's a ticking sound.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

They better implement superb cloth physics

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Drewjitsu posted:

Dreadnought owns, I've sucked at it at pax a few times.

fixed that for ya buddo

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm kind of excited for 2.2 because the plan seems to be to sell in-game clothing/weapons for real money. It will own because the clothes will look ridiculous and probably not function somehow because its CIG, and the blatant cash-grab will further disillusion some folks.

On the other hand I actually don't have much confidence in them being able to get mechanics like that in-game in only one month.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Daztek posted:

I'm not ready for clothes, I'm getting used to sleeping in my space suit and helmet.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Daztek posted:

Zero G winter wear.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

G0RF posted:

I sometimes do overlong posts like that because I assume some of the readers here are new and don't really have big picture context on stuff. Sorry if it's old, boring news to you, though.

If you're burned out on it all, I don't blame you. I'm OCD enough to still be fascinated by it all. I would not be but for the historic scale of this monstrosity, the apparent dysfunction of the people behind it, and the seemingly criminal economic model underneath it all. I can't believe they've gotten away with this much and that, despite some near brushes with a reckoning, they remain so brazenly arrogant. I just can't believe it. I keep wondering, "Are they going to get away with all of this?" So far, they have.

But for those three particular conditions (the scale, the dysfunction, the criminality), I'd probably be bored of it, too. But put them together, and they have the makings of a time bomb. It's hard for me to get bored when there's a ticking sound.

I love them, don't stop

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not helped by the "Us vs. Them" narrative they've created and wrapped themselves in - one that doesn't even remotely represent reality. In their minds, if the game succeeds, "LOL we won stupid GOONS" as they give themselves ticker-tape parades talking about how RIGHT they were the whole time. Meanwhile, back in reality, goons all smile at each other as we wipe the remains of space autists from our ships, and get them polished up for another go.

Even with an infinite possible number of parallel universes that can branch out from this moment in time, there is still no possible resulting universe where things do not go badly for these people. Either the game doesn't come out and they've wasted their money, or it comes out and it sucks and they've wasted their money, or it comes out and it's everything ONE faction wanted, but since they all have different opinions of what it should be, ANOTHER faction is extremely disappointed and they've wasted their money.

This project is in a logical loop where success is the only impossibility.

I hope it comes out, it's really good, but they're all terrible at it and quit after being chain killed for days on end because no amount of Saitek plastic poo poo and ingame weapons purchases can make them the least bit good

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Eonwe posted:

He wont get it because he never freed Kimsemus

:bravo:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Omg :(

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

I enjoy the effort you put into your posts. I would be happy to see more of them. The only thing I found strange was when you watched terrible movies to see if Sandi was really in them. On the other hand, I regularly trawl the CIG forums and Star Citizen Reddit for drama so I'm hardly in any position to criticize :).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm kind of excited for 2.2 because the plan seems to be to sell in-game clothing/weapons for real money. It will own because the clothes will look ridiculous and probably not function somehow because its CIG, and the blatant cash-grab will further disillusion some folks.

On the other hand I actually don't have much confidence in them being able to get mechanics like that in-game in only one month.

This implies that the Persistent Universe is going to have some, you know, Persistence.

And while the whales have surprised me, I don't think that cloths are going to have the same appeal as spaceships. Call it a hunch.

EDIT: And :rip: Doobie, even though I never quite got the fascination with him and his hotdog stand.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

This implies that the Persistent Universe is going to have some, you know, Persistence.

And while the whales have surprised me, I don't think that cloths are going to have the same appeal as spaceships. Call it a hunch.

You underestimate the popularity of playing dress up in games :v:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

just caught up

lol at the fake ship commercial getting star marine'd because it's all hands on deck for squadron 42 and its 10 hours of cutscenes

meanwhile star citizen's updates will be anemic at best. there is doubt that sq42 will be released this year. oops excuse me i mean sq42 EPISODE ONE. they will still have to be all hands on deck to finish THE REST OF sq42 for at least a year after that probably.

lol

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

CrazyLoon posted:

That lawsuit has to happen first, then maybe it'll be a small part of it, no matter how egregious. As for something truly damning purely from a PR perspective...cripes, I seriously thought Sandi's tears at the last CitCon would've snapped some people out of their stupor, but I guess nothing will really be enough short of them literally taking a giant dump on stage or somesuch.
Speaking of the last Citron (and in the interest of a non-effort post for Sarsapariller...)

YOUTUBE: CitizenCon 2015 Interview - Chris Roberts:

If this got posted here, I didn't see it. It's a belated release of INN's interview with Chris right after CitizenCon. Erris ("Bowtie Guy") interviews Chris in an autograph line-- while dozens of backers, eager for their turn with THE MASTER, generally glare impatiently.

INN Presents Chris Roberts with their first annual game award. It looks carved out of leftover gravestone shavings and reads, 'U dun good'.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen: More affordable than a car collection

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6262179/#Comment_6262179

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I guess that would be true if when Ferarri folded or whatever, then all their cars disappeared from existence

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Daztek posted:

You underestimate the popularity of playing dress up in games :v:

That's true. I'm buying Bootcha a Javelin for our anniversary, and then we'll dress sexy for each other in it and mix drinks before retiring to the other room to glitch out at 1000 RPM until we crash to the desktop.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: And :rip: Doobie, even though I never quite got the fascination with him and his hotdog stand.

Since I keep hearing about a shop, I'm assuming they're going to take at least some steps towards persistence in the next patch. But you're right that in terms of getting money it's probably more practical/efficient to work on weapons first.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

fuzzknot posted:

That's true. I'm buying Bootcha a Javelin for our anniversary, and then we'll dress sexy for each other in it and mix drinks before retiring to the other room to glitch out at 1000 RPM until we crash to the desktop.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6263963/#Comment_6263963

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

I don't like that space scarf. Redo it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Star Citizen: Still in the plans.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Captain Captain B'tak has a new worry: tax loopholes.

Characters will die, not so much Organizations... what will happen of Death of a Spaceman then? posted:

I may have gotten it all wrong so, bear with me....... but there's something I am not quite understanding about Death of a Spaceman "taxing" issues for the heir....

I seemed to understand, that after an X number of "falls" in the game, eventually a final and lasting one would come and the deceased character will need to be replaced by a "heir" who will inherit the in-game assetts less an inheritance tax plus also the deceased character's Reputation's alignement.

Now, I seem to also understand, that it was said that Organizations "could" be entitled to own in-game assetts like Ships or equipment as well as other in game items.

Now, I wonder, if the above is all valid, and I am not missing some "details" which would greatly change things and the understanding of game mechanics, what would prevent players, I wonder, to transfer all (or most) of their in-game assetts onto their Organization and, when they die for good, go therefore"scott free" and pay no inheritance tax (or very little) because their character has nothing or very little to be subject to it ?

Organizations don't die so........ even if an organization had TONS of in-game assetts from lots of its members to hold, there would never be any UEC to be paid for them for inheritance taxes.......

Or will "perhaps" CIG make Organizations actually pay taxes, periodically (every Star Citizen's fiscal year ?) for any and all of their listed in-game assetts be them Ships, equipment, ammunitions whatever, to compensate for the lack of an inheritance tax for Organizations and to prevent scenarios like the theoretical one I imagined where a member could transfer all (or most) of one's in-game assetts to one's own Organization so as to "skip" having to pay any inheritance tax due when the time comes for that character ?

Just wondering since I read nothing so far about it.......

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone remembered who made this flag? I'm suggesting it for the Naval Action spergs.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Daztek posted:

For the sake of their biggest fans touching cloth 24/7.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

For the sake of their biggest fans touching cloth 24/7.

Please have TressFX on hairs and pubes so my GPU can sepuku via overheat.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

I've always found the movie to be a nice watch, every few years or so. It's definitely hot garbage, especially if you don't watch the extended cut of it on youtube and watched only the theatrical version (that's probably the one that absolutely pissed people off too, quite rightly), but goddamit...the actors really bring it home in certain scenes, no matter how corny or over-the-top some of them wind up being, since the whole direction and production part of it was complete rear end.

So on the whole, the movie isn't something I hate. I just accept that it's corny as all poo poo, but...still really love certain individual scenes where the actors could really bring it home, like this . Of course, then there were also complete fuckups, like Alia's kid actor lol, but hey...those serene desert shots...they always chill me the gently caress out right afterwards. :)

The Dune movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's totally hot garbage, but for some reason I love little parts of it, like Paul riding the sandworm when the electric guitar and chorus come screaming in.

Wing Commander is also a guilty pleasure.

I wonder what would happen if I mashed the two together?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBtM5NHqtr8

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

Dreadnought owns, I've played it at pax a few times. Closed beta is starting very shortly. I've even heard rumors that there are goons in the Alpha. Maybe Yaeger is going to make an announcement at Pax South in a few weeks.

It is, however, F2P, which may be a turn off for some people. But if you like 5v5 Submarine style combat, but in space, this game is sweet.

When was it announced to be f2p? Last I had heard they were talking $60

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the one on steam that's really similar? I can't think of its name offhand. That one is f2p but I think the population bombed and they average like 100 people a day or something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

The Dune movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's totally hot garbage, but for some reason I love little parts of it, like Paul riding the sandworm when the electric guitar and chorus come screaming in.

Wing Commander is also a guilty pleasure.

I wonder what would happen if I mashed the two together?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBtM5NHqtr8

When I jack it this video always has to be playing and just as Matthew Lilliard resigns to the space bulldozer pushing his girlfriend into a space ditch I brick all over his face on the screen

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just FYI

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Star Citizen: Still in the plans.

Right before they get to private servers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

You know, I appreciate the passion with which you dig this stuff up, but I just don't get why anymore. Everyone here knows she's an awful person. Most of the Brown Sea knows it too- nobody was thrilled when she took over. I don't see why it's worth the effort anymore.

Maybe it's me. It's not that my opinion of any of it has improved, it's just so consistently, blandly bad in every aspect that it's not really entertaining to read about anymore. Every day I come in here and it's like "Oh look, the Citizens are stupid, racist, gullible idiots. Chris Roberts promised something unfeasible. Sandi did something self-aggrandizing and narcissistic, Derek referenced his blogs, Ben was generally tragic, and no new gameplay was released. Here's a new jpeg, it looks worse than the old ones."

I think I'm burning out on hating Star Citizen.

Do what I do; stop caring. I check in but honestly January is slow time over at CIG anyway. Right now I'm playing Witcher 3 and enjoying it thoroughly.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Eonwe posted:

When I jack it this video always has to be playing and just as Matthew Lilliard resigns to the space bulldozer pushing his girlfriend into a space ditch I brick all over his face on the screen

I hope you're happy, Bootcha.

Just FYI, we're not doing that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuzzknot posted:

I hope you're happy, Bootcha.

Just FYI, we're not doing that.

its magical

it will bring you guys closer together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do what I do; stop caring. I check in but honestly January is slow time over at CIG anyway. Right now I'm playing Witcher 3 and enjoying it thoroughly.

witcher 3 - possibly the ARPG of all time
star citizen - a "game"

• Locked thread