Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I had to retreat from the third quest. It's pretty hard. Doable, but very hard.

Be sure to equip those torch trinkets. You occupy a trinket slot but it saves you from a ton of stress. Try to have Houndmaster or MaA with one and use guard to protect the hero that didn't get one (you only get 3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i wanna change two of the jester's camp buffs into a single target crit buff, and a weaker, party-wide crit buff. keeping in mind that i already gave him a mark effect on solo, what do you guys think would be decent values for those two skills?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

quote:

Leper - 1 Medicinal Herbs
Jester - 1 "Medicinal" Herbs

Fixed.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Was there always this weird hitching whenever a battle is finished? Game performance seems down.

Performance went to hell about halfway through the early access period for me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

I'm guessing that if a minion gets too overburdened with mental afflictions or whatnot, it's safer to just dismiss them than suffer their mental damage?

To some extent, you just learn to live with the little quirks, there's just too many to worry about trying to squelch all of them. You can fire them if they have lots of nasty problems and don't have much investment in them, but as you start leveling heroes up you'll want to treat them instead of tossing them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah you just have to learn too live with quirks. I pay too remove really bad ones but its too expensive and time consuming too try and keep everyone from suffering from something. Just accept that every once in awhile one of your heroes is gonna decide to dunk his face into a pool of strange liquid and catch the black plague.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah you just have to learn too live with quirks. I pay too remove really bad ones but its too expensive and time consuming too try and keep everyone from suffering from something. Just accept that every once in awhile one of your heroes is gonna decide to dunk his face into a pool of strange liquid and catch the black plague.

Or eats diseased meats even if you've plenty of medicinal herbs to spare.

Seriously, the fascination quirks can be fuckin' awful.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

widespread posted:

Or eats diseased meats even if you've plenty of medicinal herbs to spare.

Seriously, the fascination quirks can be fuckin' awful.

Yeah I wish the fascination quirks would automatically use supply items when a hero interacts with a curio. Would make klepto extra punishing haha.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I wish the fascination quirks would automatically use supply items when a hero interacts with a curio. Would make klepto extra punishing haha.

>> Reynauld uses TORCH on BOOKS

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

Now we are talking.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MacheteZombie posted:

I wonder what this does...

*sticks torch into dark altar*

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I haven't played in a while but are trinkets actually worth something or are they still poo poo? Looking forward to seeing all the changes.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Most of the forced interactions aren't super bad, if you're really bothered by it you can just avoid the dungeon they're more likely to interact with. Klepto is absolutely terrible and you should always cure it. If you don't, you will 100% watch more money than it costs to fix disappear from normal loot bags.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Greatbacon posted:

Hell yea!

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Just in line with every other negative quirk, name it Pyromania - Obsession with fire.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Greatbacon posted:

I kinda wish there was an affliction called Mega Kleptomania or similar where they will use the items needed... but it's always the worse ones. (IE, torch to books, shovel to display, torch to shambler altar)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Speedball posted:

Whoah, I haven't touched this game since it was in early access over a year ago. It looks pretty nice.

I'm guessing that if a minion gets too overburdened with mental afflictions or whatnot, it's safer to just dismiss them than suffer their mental damage?
Your best dudes will likely get some negative quirk that you can live with. I don't mind quirks that prevent/lock a hero using a particular stress reliever, and in fact if they get severe I say "good, one less godawful negative quirk I have to worry about becoming severe".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

I haven't played in a while but are trinkets actually worth something or are they still poo poo? Looking forward to seeing all the changes.

There's a few duds out there but mostly they're pretty good. Most of them still have drawbacks but generally they're well worth it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not really digging how janky and stuttery the game is now, nor the new font. not entirely sure what happened there.

on the other hand i like the different colour headdresses on the cultists

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZypherIM posted:

Klepto is absolutely terrible and you should always cure it.
listen to my boy zypher over here!!

very first mission i come across a sack full of heirlooms after pulling up bupkes for the whole dungeon and that KAFIR reynauld swipes them all UUURGH I HATE YOU RAY >_<

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Red Mundus posted:

Basically there's a lot of duds, a decent amount of situationally useful items, and a few optimal items... at least from what I've seen, and I'm no expert.
I hoard all the trinkets I find, and sometimes I find a use for them since I don't have all the good stuff yet. I'd suggest doing the same, as you can sell them later if you get pimped out. I found myself using the dodge trinkets for my frontliners, along with a class specific one or a de-stressing one. As you continue to play, you'll get an idea of what you want to use and when (Perhaps you need blight resistance? You'll probably have picked up 2-4 blight resitance trinkets. Then there's the racial 25% damage trinkets, or the ones that increase the chance of your blight/stun landing, etc.)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
bee tee dubs, after that little incident i sent ray to go gently caress himself in the darkest dungeon, and i came across some interesting things: the cultists have a new attack called rend for the NEW god, and the narrator says all kinds of things about a bloody and beating heart, which i guess means that somebody (not naming names, granddad) found the heart of lorkhan down there.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Sooooo my old save old got corrupted. Here I was thinking I'd revisit my town with a bunch of rank five guys but now I don't even feel like playing.

Losing progress is the worst loving thing and this game loses saves all the drat time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

not really digging how janky and stuttery the game is now, nor the new font. not entirely sure what happened there.

on the other hand i like the different colour headdresses on the cultists
I verified the game and restarted my PC - that fixed almost all of the stuttering for me FWIW.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i'm gonna make it a company policy to send all my losers, fuckups, and disappointments down there to feed whatever lives in the dungeon. gotta keep the rest of the crew sharp, and cushy retirements ain't the way to do that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Red Mundus posted:

Trinkets have probably gotten the most balance passes of anything in the game. They're way better than they used to be, although some are still pointless garbage of course, so you gotta be smart about it. But there's some treasure in the mix no doubt.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

bee tee dubs, after that little incident i sent ray to go gently caress himself in the darkest dungeon, and i came across some interesting things: the cultists have a new attack called rend for the NEW god, and the narrator says all kinds of things about a bloody and beating heart, which i guess means that somebody (not naming names, granddad) found the heart of lorkhan down there.

Oh christ, this really helps the idea that grandpa is an Eldritch god now. Still, that new attack's name is good to instill dread, I tell you what.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I've never lost a save. Also, playing a new game with all the changes is very different than continuing an old estate. I've done new estates after several of the big patches and it has been pretty interesting how different the game is.

If you're somewhat comfortable with the game, try keeping your torch in the 50-75 bracket. You'll get better loot and the enemies don't get much of a buff. Each light bracket increases your chances of extra loot, but enemies will hit harder and more accurately. Hallways tend to have easier fights than rooms, so currently I'm experimenting with letting it drop to 25-50 if I'm in a hall without lighting a torch. If you've got some +torch abilities you can always try to have it be just under the next step so you can make the fight a bit easier if you get a bad enemy setup.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

Oh christ, this really helps the idea that grandpa is an Eldritch god now. Still, that new attack's name is good to instill dread, I tell you what.

Yeah, I really like the effect the cultists have.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Leper with Fated locked in:

1. Visit the Stage Coach
2. Press ENTER, type Braddock, and press ENTER again
3. Your hero will appear in the list of recruitable heroes. Drag them into your roster!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just picked this up knowing gently caress all about it, and this game may be the best use of my spare time since Xcom.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

My main Plague Doctor's negative quirks for basically this whole 75-week save: -5% Ranged damage, -5% Melee damage, -3%Melee Crit, -15% Damage first round, +20% Stress Damage under 26 light.

She's the best. Support classes have a real easy time getting meaningless quirks (sadly counts for positive ones too), none of the above actually DO anything unless I decide to go for a Dark run but I can just leave her at home for those.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone made it to the end boss yet? I sent a level 0 team into the Darkest Dungeon to see what it was like and wiped at the second room. I don't know what else I was expecting, but still... :negative: It's really hosed up in there!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man I can't wait to get home and play this tonight. Gonna start a new game, I reckon, and get a proper start at it with what I've learned from a couple days of playing.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Couple o' backer NPCs you can recruit at the stage coach if you're so inclined, both taken from the Steam forum backer thing:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ZypherIM posted:

I've never lost a save. Also, playing a new game with all the changes is very different than continuing an old estate. I've done new estates after several of the big patches and it has been pretty interesting how different the game is.

If you're somewhat comfortable with the game, try keeping your torch in the 50-75 bracket. You'll get better loot and the enemies don't get much of a buff. Each light bracket increases your chances of extra loot, but enemies will hit harder and more accurately. Hallways tend to have easier fights than rooms, so currently I'm experimenting with letting it drop to 25-50 if I'm in a hall without lighting a torch. If you've got some +torch abilities you can always try to have it be just under the next step so you can make the fight a bit easier if you get a bad enemy setup.
I think you only got the +Loot modifier at 50 and below light?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
code:
   "darkness_bonuses" :
   [
      {
         "type" : "battle",
         "bonuses" :
         [
            { "darkness" : 0, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "B", "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 1, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 25, "chance" : 0.5, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 51, "chance" : 0.25, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 76, "chance" : 0, "codes" : [ "B" ] }
         ]
      },
      {
         "type" : "chest",
         "bonuses" :
         [
            { "darkness" : 0, "chance" : 0.95, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 1, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 25, "chance" : 0.5, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 51, "chance" : 0.25, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 76, "chance" : 0, "codes" : [ "A" ] }
         ]
      }
   ],
looks like you start getting loot bonuses in the 51-75 light range.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea the loot code is visible in the files. Doctor Schnabel has the lines straight out, a few pages back I had looked into it. Basically running at 51-75 light gives you a 25% chance at bonus loot. So each step is worth it if you can handle it, and running above 0 light removes chances of surprise shamblers, and you can still get pretty good chances at loot while not getting screwed by combat buffs to enemies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what's all this about drama, people being mad and apparently the devs are corrupt vile scum now or something? I dunno I haven't played since the Cove was introduced but a friend messaged me with a link to a
crazy
review and it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Made 14k gold off of my first medium length dungeon. Ran into the secret room and the loving Collector.