Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Holy poo poo, I actually stopped there to gas up and grab a bite on my way south earlier this month. While I didn't see any self-important white girls emptying out the towel dispensers (or facebooking about it after-the-fact while parked in front of the pumps), the staff was super friendly, and they make a mean gyro.

:): "God help you and have a nice day"

:byodame:: "YOU HATEFUL BITCH"

Also, ya gotta love when "Do you even know who you're talking to?" comes up. Always a legit tactic in adult discussions, along with threatening to call "immigration" when the person you feel has slighted you looks to be vaguely ethic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's not like they don't know how she looks or anything, nope. Double down on the crazy!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Gourmet Burger Kitchen made some tongue-in-cheek adverts goading Vegetarians into giving up meat. A lot of people found that pretty offensive. I didn't realise being a Vegetarian was being part of a protected minority now.

edit- I mean I thought they were quite funny. The image above isn't one of the ads, it's riffing on this one

I was veggie for a bit, and still don't eat a massive amount, but goddamn veggies, have a bit of a sense of humour about it.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Jan 19, 2016

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

mng posted:

It's not like they don't know how she looks or anything, nope. Double down on the crazy!

I imagine citizenship is a prerequisite for owning a mid-size, very public business, but don't let that stop you from calling immigration to complain about a restaurant's facebook page you crazy bitch.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Godspeed, heifer.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rondette posted:

Gourmet Burger Kitchen made some tongue-in-cheek adverts goading Vegetarians into giving up meat. A lot of people found that pretty offensive. I didn't realise being a Vegetarian was being part of a protected minority now.

edit- I mean I thought they were quite funny. The image above isn't one of the ads, it's riffing on this one

I was veggie for a bit, and still don't eat a massive amount, but goddamn veggies, have a bit of a sense of humour about it.

I don't even see this as directly calling out vegetarians. This weird thing of meat worship has been around for awhile, and isn't belittling vegetarians so much as it is vegetables. I think this one is a genuine case of people looking for reasons to be offended. What babies.

e: Oh, well, looking it up, a few of them actually are calling out vegetarians, which I guess is a bit more reasonable to be a bit angry about. But acting like a persecuted minority is still silly, and I stand by my statement of calling them babies.

e2: These 2 are a bit more direct about it.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Jan 19, 2016

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Their ad campaign to make vegans take pictures and give them more platforms for their message for free is working nicely.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
#gourmetmurderkitchen is for sure a place I would eat at so their campaign sucks.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
#BovineLivesMatter

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I saw some of the adverts on the tube the other day, and even as someone who lusts for animal flesh most of the waking day I thought they were pretty dumb and just trying to provoke people.

Never eaten there because there's so many fantastic independent burger places around I don't have to.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

robotsinmyhead posted:

I got carded going into The Revenant by the 17 year old behind the counter.

I'm 35.

Years ago when I worked retail I'd sometimes amuse myself by asking people who were very obviously older than 50 for ID when they bought cigarettes.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

FreudianSlippers posted:

Years ago when I worked retail I'd sometimes amuse myself by asking people who were very obviously older than 50 for ID when they bought cigarettes.

Man, I work at a liquor store, and some people hate being carded. I had a lengthy conversation with someone recently where they were confused that I was carding them for alcohol. I said we had to check everyone who looked under 35. He asked why, and I said that people will come in and check to make sure you're doing your job, and if you don't card them then you get fired. "But obviously I'm over 21." Yes, we just went through this! I have to card people who look even older than you.

Then there was the time a literal physical fight broke out between an employee and a customer over being carded. Good poo poo. Don't protest when people card you, goons.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Man, I'm to the age where no one cards me anymore and I miss it. :(

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cosima posted:

I imagine citizenship is a prerequisite for owning a mid-size, very public business, but don't let that stop you from calling immigration to complain about a restaurant's facebook page you crazy bitch.

Not sure if serious, but you don't have to a citizen to own a business in the U.S. But I imagine if you aren't a citizen and own a business, you have your documentation seriously sorted out anyway, so angry people threatening to call "immigration" about you shouldn't sound much of a threat.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Man, I'm to the age where no one cards me anymore and I miss it. :(

as sombody with a babyface i wish i had your problem sir :colbert:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Grass is always greener, right?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

FreudianSlippers posted:

Indiana passed some pretty hefty laws pertaining to age ID, and most retailers now make it mandatory to show ID now matter what. Kroger in particular does this and has AMPLE signage to that point, and the amount of bitching you overhear just in the course of standing in line at the register is amazing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got the best of both worlds. If I grow a beard, I don't get carded. If I shave the beard, I'm carded again.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

trapped mouse posted:

Man, I work at a liquor store, and some people hate being carded. I had a lengthy conversation with someone recently where they were confused that I was carding them for alcohol. I said we had to check everyone who looked under 35. He asked why, and I said that people will come in and check to make sure you're doing your job, and if you don't card them then you get fired. "But obviously I'm over 21." Yes, we just went through this! I have to card people who look even older than you.

Then there was the time a literal physical fight broke out between an employee and a customer over being carded. Good poo poo. Don't protest when people card you, goons.

Same, except we have to card anyone who looks under 50. So many people get unreasonably pissy about it. I even had this exchange the other day.

Me: "Can I have your ID please?"
Her: "Sure... wait, are you gonna scan it? 'Cause I don't want them having my address and phone number and personal info in that computer."
Me: "It's okay, I can get a manager to verify it by sight. Do you have a store card with us?"
Her: "Yeah, lemme give you my phone number so you can look it up, it's :downswords:."

Glad she kept all her personal info out of our evil clutches!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last year I got into an argument with a guy in a store for carding me. Nothing against that aspect, but it's the fact that he was the manager and told someone to card me when he himself had sold me beer without issue just 2 hours earlier. Then called me a liar when I called him on it. What a prick.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

robotsinmyhead posted:

Indiana passed some pretty hefty laws pertaining to age ID, and most retailers now make it mandatory to show ID now matter what. Kroger in particular does this and has AMPLE signage to that point, and the amount of bitching you overhear just in the course of standing in line at the register is amazing.

For a whole, a few years ago, we were required to check EVERYONE'S ID for alcohol and cigarettes. So if grandma came into the store to buy a bottle of wine for Christmas, we had to card her. This law didn't last very long.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rondette posted:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I always get carded too, despite being 30 this year. Just show your ID, it's really no hassle. You have your wallet out already to give them the cash/card, your driving license is right there, just pull it out at the same time.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
"Can you show me your ID, sir?"
"I don't need to, I'm already drunk"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

Last year I got into an argument with a guy in a store for carding me. Nothing against that aspect, but it's the fact that he was the manager and told someone to card me when he himself had sold me beer without issue just 2 hours earlier. Then called me a liar when I called him on it. What a prick.

You were the one being a prick in this situation, HTH

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

But if I don't point out every inconsistency that crosses my path how will people know that sometimes people say one thing and do another?!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Who What Now posted:

You were the one being a prick in this situation, HTH

You think a manager literally calling a customer a liar in front of a queue of people is right? Are you serious? I know some customers are a real pain in the rear end, but he treated me like poo poo to save face when he knew he was in the wrong.

This is the same chain of stores that tried to ID my friend when he purchased a bottle of milk.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

You think a manager literally calling a customer a liar in front of a queue of people is right? Are you serious? I know some customers are a real pain in the rear end, but he treated me like poo poo to save face when he knew he was in the wrong.

This is the same chain of stores that tried to ID my friend when he purchased a bottle of milk.

All you had to do was show ID and not throw a hissyfit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't carry ID, as the only form I have is my passport and that stays home unless I'm somewhere like NYC where the policy is to ask everyone. My local store I go to 5 times a week and has never carded me ever isn't generally one of those times.

I'm not even saying the guy should've just served me, but he should've apologised and said he should've carded me earlier if he felt like the guy clearly in his mid thirties was underage and I would've walked away. Instead he yelled at me that I was never there and he absolutely did not serve me while my friends looked on in absolute amazement.

I'm trying to think of a well known US customer service cesspit that is comparable to Tesco but I can't think of one. This is a shop where 9/10 times you go to the checkouts and there's not a single person there. It's a refuge for high school dropouts who get laughed out of an interview at Asda (Walmart).

I feel for people in customer service as I know how hard and lovely it can be, and I'll generally accept pretty crappy service with a smile. I don't think I've ever been angry at anyone serving me ever before.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wait, WTF?

Then again my husband and I got carded for buying condoms once...

e: also yeah you were being a dick, no one remembers people five minutes after they're out of the building. Seriously.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jan 20, 2016

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you really expect clerks to remember you? I forget the people I serve before they even leave the drat building. You aren't special to him in any way. People pull all sorts of poo poo to avoid being carded, and you were being a prick.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't carry ID, as the only form I have is my passport and that stays home unless I'm somewhere like NYC where the policy is to ask everyone. My local store I go to 5 times a week and has never carded me ever isn't generally one of those times.

I'm not even saying the guy should've just served me, but he should've apologised and said he should've carded me earlier if he felt like the guy clearly in his mid thirties was underage and I would've walked away. Instead he yelled at me that I was never there and he absolutely did not serve me while my friends looked on in absolute amazement.

I'm trying to think of a well known US customer service cesspit that is comparable to Tesco but I can't think of one. This is a shop where 9/10 times you go to the checkouts and there's not a single person there. It's a refuge for high school dropouts who get laughed out of an interview at Asda (Walmart).

I feel for people in customer service as I know how hard and lovely it can be, and I'll generally accept pretty crappy service with a smile. I don't think I've ever been angry at anyone serving me ever before.

Nah you're a douche

Protip if you're the one raising your voice in a retail situation you're a douche

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Scathach posted:

There are a lot of people who genuinely believe that you have to be an adult to buy condoms.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zakharov posted:

Nah you're a douche

Protip if you're the one raising your voice in a retail situation you're a douche

He raised his voice when he shouted at me.

Scathach posted:

Wait, WTF?

The guy working the counter had apparently been told to "ID everyone" and took it well above the request. Again, we are not dealing with bright sparks here.

Inco posted:

Do you really expect clerks to remember you? I forget the people I serve before they even leave the drat building. You aren't special to him in any way. People pull all sorts of poo poo to avoid being carded, and you were being a prick.

I'm not sure how clearly I have to write this, so let's use bullet points

* I don't care that he didn't remember me. I can understand and accept that.
* The correct response was "I'm sorry I should've carded you then, my mistake" or similar.
* My gripe was when I said "huh? You personally served me like 2 hours ago" he yelled back "no I didn't. You're lying".

It's really not a difficult situation to get your head around. I'm stereotypically British and the politest guy you'll ever meet, I promise. I've never ever had an argument in a store with anyone, I don't have the care to deal with it all. There's another shop that serves beer a minutes walk away, and I'm happy to give them my service with a fuss. This guy was an incredible arse and I'm not entirely sure why it's hard to convince people that a retail manager (who coincidentally must've been fired for something as I think I saw him once after that) is capable of acting like a prick, but hey.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
You may be better served by taking these complaints to the store's customer service department.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I had a lady card me for a monster once. I asked (as I pulled out my id) what she needed to see it for. She said to make sure that I was at least 21. I told her there wasn't any alcohol in the drink asked when they invoked a caffeine drinking age. She got it and never looked at the card, I just wanted to be prepared to avoid wasting my time if she decided it needed to be a situation.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm pretty sure no one over the age of 17 is allowed to drink energy drinks. She was probably checking that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't carry ID, as the only form I have is my passport and that stays home unless I'm somewhere like NYC where the policy is to ask everyone.

Hahaha what

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

He raised his voice when he shouted at me.

The guy working the counter had apparently been told to "ID everyone" and took it well above the request. Again, we are not dealing with bright sparks here.

I'm not sure how clearly I have to write this, so let's use bullet points

* I don't care that he didn't remember me. I can understand and accept that.
* The correct response was "I'm sorry I should've carded you then, my mistake" or similar.
* My gripe was when I said "huh? You personally served me like 2 hours ago" he yelled back "no I didn't. You're lying".

It's really not a difficult situation to get your head around. I'm stereotypically British and the politest guy you'll ever meet, I promise. I've never ever had an argument in a store with anyone, I don't have the care to deal with it all. There's another shop that serves beer a minutes walk away, and I'm happy to give them my service with a fuss. This guy was an incredible arse and I'm not entirely sure why it's hard to convince people that a retail manager (who coincidentally must've been fired for something as I think I saw him once after that) is capable of acting like a prick, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I find it really bizarre when people don't carry ID. I take mine with me all the time, just in case. Also I'm not a prick and can handle producing it without getting all butthurt about it.