Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SadisTech posted:

Joe Hockey is apparently having too much fun in his new ambassadorial appointment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779fMc8ubOo

Is there a whole subculture about making washing machines do things I was unaware of this whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Bronwyn Bishop is recontesting her seat.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-19/bronwyn-bishop-to-nominate-for-pre-selection-in-nsw/7097090

quote:

Cabinet Minister Josh Frydenberg says he is an example of the benefits of bringing "new blood" into the Liberal Party, as some criticise Bronwyn Bishop's decision to recontest her seat.

Preselection nominations open in NSW today, and disgraced former speaker Mrs Bishop is among those who will put their hands up.

However, some Liberal Party elders have argued renewal and reform is needed within the party and that the NSW division has dragged its feet.

Other veteran politicians who may renominate for the upcoming election include former prime minister Tony Abbott in the seat of Warringah, and former minister Philip Ruddock for Berowra.

Mr Frydenberg said it was unusual for preselection to be held so late in the political cycle, with an election due this year, but it was due to NSW redistribution.

The 44-year-old Resources Minister told the ABC he was "a benefit of the party bringing in new blood".

"At the same time, those existing members have served the Parliament very well," he said.

"Philip Ruddock's been there since 1973 … It's not for me to tell him or Bronwyn … or any of my other colleagues that it's time to move on.

"That's a decision for them and their preselectors."

Mr Frydenberg said Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has stated he supports his colleagues in the Parliament being re-elected.

"I know from my own personal experience challenging a local member can be quite a sobering experience and not easily done," he said.

Liberal MP Paul Fletcher also noted that all politicians had to put their name forward for preselection.

"Every election, every three years, we need to submit ourselves to our party organisation to again seek preselection," Mr Fletcher told Sky News.

"That's how the system works, that's how the system should work. This is not a job for life."

But Mr Fletcher would not be drawn on individual cases, describing the former speaker as a "senior, respected colleague".

Mrs Bishop resigned from the position of speaker last year over a travel expenses scandal, which revealed the long-serving MPspent more than $5,000 to charter a helicopter from Melbourne to a golf course near Geelong for a Liberal Party fundraiser.

The incident was dubbed "choppergate" and saw Mrs Bishop lampooned on social media.

A spokesman for the Mackellar MP has confirmed she will nominate for preselection, perhaps as soon as close of business today.

'You'll have to carry her out in a box'

Former federal Liberal leader John Hewson was among those to slam Mrs Bishop's controversial decision to run again.

"You'll probably have to carry her out in a box," he said.

"She doesn't think she's done anything wrong, she doesn't see that she's been totally discredited or [will] probably go down in history as a poor minister and the most biased speaker of all time.

"It will look particularly bad in my view, where I think if you create a new impression of a new and dynamic government, the more new and dynamic people you can bring in, I think would be a good thing."

Some Liberal Party insiders have said Mrs Bishop would not nominate if she was not confident of winning.

Others, including previous conservative faction allies, said they believed her seat was vulnerable and could face at least five challengers.

Former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett said he believed it was time for Mrs Bishop to leave Parliament.

"She brought great discredit to herself, she brought great discredit to the Government, she brought greater discredit to her leader who installed her in the speakership and put her own interests before his or party or perhaps even the community, which to me was an indication that the hourglass has run out," he said.

But Mr Kennett said each individual member should be considered based on their contribution, knowledge and potential.

"Philip Ruddock, who I think is the father of the House, still has an enormous amount of knowledge," he said.

"I don't say that age alone should be a barrier to continued service, I think that there's the performance and the contribution of the individual that should be the pre-eminent factor."

Mr Ruddock, a former Liberal minister who was sacked as chief whip after a failed leadership spill against Mr Abbott last year, told AM he intended to stay in Parliament for as long as he could make a difference.

He said he would talk to colleagues before making a decision on whether to renominate.

Mr Abbott has not announced whether he will renominate for his Sydney seat.

His spokesperson said the former prime minister's position had not changed, and that he would make an announcement in the next month.

POSTED TUE AT 6:32AM

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A politician tries to look cuddly while frightening a cat:

This is why you never see Australian politicians try it.

Also lol at Bishop, it says something that this story has effectively been out for days and the most reaction I've seen is a meh on Twitter.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

She will never give up her seat, come hell or high water

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

ScreamingLlama posted:

The video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i15OPuFvmA

Honestly? gently caress vegans, especially those who feed their kids and/or pets vegan diets.

The second two yeah, but the first? We know that animal agriculture is the biggest cause of global warming (yes, cow farts etc, it's not just a joke). If you're able to remove animal products from your life you're making more of an impact than limiting your shower time or catching a bus instead of driving. And the only reasons vegans are so insufferable is because most animals have some level of understanding of their own existence, so it's a moral thing too. gently caress you instead, guy, go read a book about it first

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

ScreamingLlama posted:

The video in question:

Honestly? gently caress vegans, especially those who feed their kids and/or pets vegan diets.

Maybe if you ate a vegan diet you wouldn't have to collect disability for being overweight.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

turdbucket posted:

Maybe if you ate a vegan diet you wouldn't have to collect disability for being overweight.

living up to your name I see

ScreamingLlama posted:

The video in question:

I don't mind vegans as long as they understand that There Is No Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

*curb your enthusiasm theme*

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

ScreamingLlama posted:

Honestly? gently caress vegans

Don't be honest, if them's your ideas. You can eat animal products, but don't pretend your consumption isn't hosed up in a thousand ways, and people who reject it are ethically stronger than you

Posted from a smartphone built by someone who has netting around their factory dorm to catch the jumpers

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/real-social-dynamics-and-the-evolution-of-the-pick-up-industry/7099368

quote:

Andrew Mashiko was once a pick-up artist. And before that he was an average frustrated chump - in pick-up slang, an AFC. He had just divorced. He was alone and worried he would stay that way. He flew to Texas for a workshop with the man who called himself the world's top seducer, Adam Lyons.

He paid $10,000 for a one-week live-in course.

f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f

quote:

Then he paid for Real Social Dynamics (RSD) seminars,

Wait - he paid all that money and then he paid MORE money?!?? Give me some loving money, I'll tell you how to get women and you won't even have to face assault charges!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wonder what a residential PUA program is actually like.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
10k just to drink beer and sleep on the couch.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ewe2 posted:

I actually had to go check if this was real :catstare:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

open24hours posted:

I wonder what a residential PUA program is actually like.

You ever see Magnolia? Exactly Tom Cruise's PUA seminar in that

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The cult of PUA is funny but also extremely sad.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Full dislclosure, my friend when I was about seventeen paid this guy in his late thirties he worked with to teach him PUA junk. That older guy turned out to be a serial rapist who raped two good friends of mine, and a friend's 15 year old sister.

When one of those friends, in tears, told my good ol' buddy what had happened, he said she wanted it, and was lying

I very much do not like that community

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 20, 2016

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

ewe2 posted:

Chris Kenny just wants to groom puppies.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bold move, but it's a safe liberal seat in North Sydney. If she doesn't apologise for being financially successful and does some Trump rhetoric about not letting muslims invade her sleepy coastal suburbs, she will probably increase her lead.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Australian federal police accidentally revealed the personal details of an assault victim to the alleged perpetrator, risking the safety of the complainant and his family, according to an AFP risk assessment.

The lapse is one of seven serious privacy and security breaches the AFP has suffered since 2012. Details of the breaches, which have all been referred to the privacy commissioner, have been obtained under freedom of information laws (FoI) by Guardian Australia.

The referrals reveal a number of errors in the handling of personal information, some of which appear to have stemmed from failure by AFP officers to properly redact or handle personal information.

The federal government’s mandatory data retention laws, which came into force in October, allowed law enforcement and other government agencies to collect much more digital personal information.

A draft bill of new data breach laws, released in December, will also require organisations and government agencies to make compulsory notifications to the privacy commissioner.

The most serious lapse revealed in the AFP documents is a June 2012 disclosure of the middle name and surname of a victim of an assault to the alleged perpetrator.

The disclosure was accidentally made in documents released in response to an FoI request by the alleged perpetrator, which had been incorrectly redacted.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

:getin:

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Abbott making a comeback requires another spill, right? That would be amazing.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The only way he's coming back is if there's another utegate. Turnbull is going to get a majority in both houses and go unchallenged for like three terms.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh God please let this happen. The NSW Libs are busy with tearing themselves apart at the moment, and headlines like that are great fuel for that fire

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is he part greyhound? Photoshop?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Human thumb

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

open24hours posted:

The only way he's coming back is if there's another utegate. Turnbull is going to get a majority in both houses and go unchallenged for like three terms.

I don't know why people think they can predict how long a government will be in power.

The last few years should make it obvious that a hell of a lot can change in a single term of government.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's not a serious prediction, it's just fun to speculate about the 1000 year reich.

[EDIT: He also reminds me of John Key and look how he's going.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 20, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I can only presume <this> is why sports bet is still not paying out the bet I laid for Turnbull to be leading the liberal party into the next election.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the thing with PM Turnbull, especially compared to basically every government from Rudd onwards, is that he's got his poo poo under control. Everyone since Howard has kinda felt like it was only a matter of time before they hosed up and got booted, but Turnbull--partly because of playing it safe, partly because of being better at putting on a good public face, partly because of a loving useless opposition--doesn't feel like a failure waiting to happen. If anything sinks him it's either going to be external, or a WorkChoices-style fuckup that's yet to happen.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Re: visa cancelling, it's political to me because they haven't actually committed any crime per se, and it reminds me of students protesting against universities allowing certain speakers; I'd rather see the shithead speaker show up and then have a protest.

And this is how it always starts: with somebody we can all agree about. Not a single reasonable person would argue that a PUA/MRA dude has worthwhile opinions. It starts with the people who are widely despised, and then it inches its way along and soon you'll see Dutton cancelling the visas of, for example, somebody who works for Save the Children or Amnesty International and has dastardly plans to disrupt our border protection policies.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

First they came for the holocaust deniers...

These things should probably have to go through a court at the very least. They also gave him a heap of free publicity and he can now advertise himself as 'too hot for Australia' or whatever.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 20, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ewe2 posted:

A politician tries to look cuddly while frightening a cat:

This is why you never see Australian politicians try it.

Not sure what Leyonhjelm was trying to look like here though.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
What a blohard

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

First they came for the holocaust deniers...

These things should probably have to go through a court at the very least. They also gave him a heap of free publicity and he can now advertise himself as 'too hot for Australia' or whatever.

"Too rapey for Australia"?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Help me, Auspol: I'm moving to my own place with no housemates and a real lease for the first time like an adult and I've realised I have to hook up all my own utilities.

What's Australia's least-bad internet service provider?

I got a quote from Telstra for $75 a month for 100 gigs and the iinet website says I can have 1000 gigs for $70, what, that doesn't even begin to make sense, what's going on

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The only way Bill Snorten will become PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

freebooter posted:

Help me, Auspol: I'm moving to my own place with no housemates and a real lease for the first time like an adult and I've realised I have to hook up all my own utilities.

What's Australia's least-bad internet service provider?

I got a quote from Telstra for $75 a month for 100 gigs and the iinet website says I can have 1000 gigs for $70, what, that doesn't even begin to make sense, what's going on

tpg for budget conscious nerds.

• Locked thread