Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Detroit public school conditions. It's pretty horrific stuff, honestly.

http://m.metrotimes.com/Blogs/archives/2016/01/14/detroit-teachers-are-using-twitter-to-document-poor-school-conditions

At this point, when is the entirety of Michigan just going to be one big OSHA violation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pffft, students aren't employees so they're not covered by OSHA.

duhhhhhhhhhhh.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Rahul posted:

Came across this at work today:

that fan's right where it should be; your VFDs are about to die

source: a guy with a lot of dead VFDs in his office

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

The goggles! They work pretty well really.

Did some loans for a guy who must have had similar thing happen. Had a raccoon patch of regular skin around his eyes and everything else was super leather. He was getting a few grand a month in Disability.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or went snorkeling in Detroit.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Phanatic posted:

Well, let me just say that my company is a major international corporation, with its own fire department and EMS on-site, with safety guys who do inspections of the entire plant on a regular basis, so I'm reasonably sure their lawyers know what they're doing in this regard. If anyone's able to speak authoritatively to this, I'll bring it to the attention of our group's safety lead.

From that PDF:

quote:

Easy access to electrical panels is essential for the protection of employees in the workplace, and panels should never be blocked or inaccessible.
(Emphasis mine.) Having them behind a lock sure sounds like "blocked or inaccessible" to me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SynthOrange posted:

Or went snorkeling in Detroit.

https://youtu.be/sHHjG7D0u0o?t=133

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Some loving goon forgot how to sit in a chain.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I was very confused for a moment trying to work out how one sits in a chain.

Also, unless they meant to write "roll backward" instead of "roll forward" I cannot for the life of me picture how that went down.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

From that PDF:

(Emphasis mine.) Having them behind a lock sure sounds like "blocked or inaccessible" to me.

You see the solution to this is to put a spare key for the lock in the cabinet, then if there's an emergency the security guard to can be called to retrieve the key, and temporarily give it to who ever needs quick access to the breakers in the cabinet.

You see Its all about coming up with solutions not just pointing out problems!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SumYungGui posted:

Wow look at Mr. Killjoy here. Wood's non-conductive dummy, everything is safe geez.

Looks about right for every comms closet I've come across.

Back in the early days of local loop unbundling (other ISPs being allowed to install equipment for voice and DSL in incumbent telco BT's exchanges) BT were only obligated to provide 10A of power to their "tenants".

The standard build consumed 9.6A of power, so everyone's happy, right? Nope, in some exchanges BT kept that 10A limit with a simple 10A fuse. Any time the temperature got above about 30 degrees the fuse would blow (and of course they went randomly all the time) so every single customer lost phone and broadband until some fat-arsed BT engineer could get round to replacing the fuse. We weren't legally allowed to touch the power cabinet but there was nothing stopping us plugging a big-arse box fan into the cleaner socket and pointing it at the cabinet... the end result was a court case that was basically "Nuh uh I'm not touching you you can't do anything" but with £1000-a-day laywers instead of 7-year-olds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

m2pt5 posted:

From that PDF:

It's not:

quote:

In accordance with 29 CFR 1910.399, Readily accessible is defined as "capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections, without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, chairs, etc." This definition, however, does not preclude the use of a lock on the disconnecting means (circuit breakers panel), provided those, for whom ready access may be necessary, have a key (or lock combination) available. Additionally, the National Electrical Code (NEC) 2005, Article 110.26, partly states, "Enclosures housing electrical apparatus that are controlled by a lock(s) shall be considered accessible to qualified persons."

"Blocked or inaccessible" means "there's a bunch of poo poo piled up in front of it," or "someone drywalled over it," or "there's an old Master lock on it and nobody knows where the key is." It doesn't mean "the people who are qualified to enter the panel have it locked and they have the key on them at all times."

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Phanatic posted:

or "there's an old Master lock on it and nobody knows where the key is."

Dean Ween to the rescue

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That may well the the WORST picking video I've ever seen.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you can't find the key a zip tie will do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIq9khF-axs

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

That may well the the WORST picking video I've ever seen.

It's low-fi, for that authentic Ween feel.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

GotLag posted:

If you can't find the key a zip tie will do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIq9khF-axs

Bah, use a hammer or rock, or whatever is laying around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9MB5XPsp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9RCMr4omM8

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

quote:

the chair will be destroyed

Euth all vicious chairs

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mds2 posted:

Bah, use a hammer or rock, or whatever is laying around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9MB5XPsp4
In middle school, a kid in my gym class figured out that you can break a master lock with a gym shoe if you want.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
maybe a repost...

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

again, how do these obviously untrained people get ahold of such expensive machinery and are they horribly in debt when they inevitably lose it in a mudslide or in a body of water?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

maybe a repost...

Doesn't matter. I will never get tired of that truck tractor being flipped over. I reminds me of High Anxiety (how's that for a dated reference):

"I got it. I got it. I got it." *WHUMP* "I ain't got it."

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Some loving goon forgot how to sit in a chain.

I never learned :ohdear:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Thumbnail image reminds me of my favourite OSHA.jpg:

Edit: jesus christ the poor, screaming bastard on the backhoe at the 4-minute mark :smith:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 19, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rahul posted:

Sikk bitcoin miner brah

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BANME.sh posted:

again, how do these obviously untrained people get ahold of such expensive machinery and are they horribly in debt when they inevitably lose it in a mudslide or in a body of water?

Oh, how I love working in a crane training/certification business.

Many less scrupulous labor companies (not just construction, but also stuff like heavy duty groundskeeping for massive swathes of public lawn or tree trimmers) recruit people with little to no training and put them to work immediately or almost immediately, sometimes putting men to work the day they arrive looking for a job. Immigrants and youths are also much easier to pay less than minimum wage, especially if you're running a business that just pays them cash under the table without bothering to leave a paperwork trail. This is what gets you Mexican immigrants who can't speak English working for a business with only one informal translator being thrown onto a compact roller without training and told to just "Do what that guy is doing", until they drive up a steep incline and flip over.

It's worse in third-world countries or some first-world countries with massive poor populations and poor workers' rights (like China) where everyone can be paid less than they really should get for their work if it's simple labor jobs. I'd imagine that unless the machines are communally owned by a group of private citizens for local work, they may have a larger company taking advantage of cheap labor with untrained people looking for work in a country with poor regulation.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I can just see someone opening the door to get out and the whole thing flipping over right onto those glass panels. Get all cut up AND covered in piss and poo poo!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The Dark One posted:

I can't wait for the hilarious posts involving this thing.

https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/689157137931591680

You'd think if they're going to redesign one of these things to go sideways they might want to consider new directions = new forces to tip the lift over if it strikes a low barrier, not to mention new sides to impale yourself on.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

stillvisions posted:

You'd think if they're going to redesign one of these things to go sideways they might want to consider new directions = new forces to tip the lift over if it strikes a low barrier, not to mention new sides to impale yourself on.

i don't think those whells work with a heavy load anyways but i don't know for sure because I know absolutely nothing about the wheels

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think they would have to work with a heavy load, since the forklift is always the heaviest thing in the equation.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Mecanum wheels have been around for like 30 years. :science:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ghostter posted:

i don't think those whells work with a heavy load anyways but i don't know for sure because I know absolutely nothing about the wheels

A 12" mecanum wheel set I found can handle 3000 kg. You can also stack them to increase load capability.
You can knock enough poo poo off shelves or hit people with a normal forklift.
Those give you the advantage of turning on a dime without backing into things. You could even turn with the payload in the center of the turn.

I do want to see a new Gabelstablerfahrer Klaus featuring one, though.

-e-

suuma posted:

Mecanum wheels have been around for like 30 years. :science:
They do need all wheels to be powered separately and are more expensive than simple rubber tires, so that's probably why they aren't more common :(

-e2-
Updated the load cap. for the wheel.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 19, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
They're surprisingly expensive and they wear out relatively quickly, because there is always some amount of sliding involved in any movement.

(The basic concept is that each wheel produces a torque at 45 degrees to the axis of rotation, and by spinning them at different speeds you can combine those angles to sum to the direction you want...but it means that going straight requires you to cancel out the angled torque of one wheel with the other one)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Rahul posted:

Eh, I've seen some PLC/RIO (Programmable Logic Controllers/Remote I/O) that were even worse. This is by no means a "horror story" cabinet.

Are those VFDs in there? We never put VFDs and PLCs/RIO in the same cabinet. We try and keep analogs (4-20mA, thermocouple/RTD and Ethernet), 120V digital signals, and power wires as separate as possible too. So in some cabinets we'll dedicate one side and set of terminal strips to analogs and the opposite side to digitals and make sure they never cross. (Also using twisted-pair shielded for analogs as much as possible.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 19, 2016

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Yep, those are VFDs, and yep, that's a modicon PLC rack on the second row. Pretty much the entire plant is wired up like this.

Incidentally, the reason I actually got called out was because a PLC in an ajacent panel had failed. I forgot to snap a pic but the power supply module had a suspicious brownish yellow stain on top, and was littered with mouse droppings.
Oh, did I mention that this place is a food processing facility?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is this one of these "We bought a panel designed and installed by this A&E firm... then we started making some small modifications*... yes we have the original prints but it's been modified so much by so many people the prints are now worthless" situations, or close to that. (Worse variants: "The A&E never gave us the prints" or "this guy who left/died/was fired knew where the prints were".)

One of my favorite things at a facility is an electrician or technician telling me "There's this device in here, we have no idea where it's from or what it does, or if it even still functions, and it's not on the prints and none of the wires are labeled. Oh and there's a green wire that has 120Vac on it."

* - The first things to disappear in a panel are the Panduit covers. They're usually all in a pile in the bottom of the cabinet next to some rotting paper prints, scribbled settings, strip chart printouts from testing, and whatnot.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 20, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Three-Phase posted:

Is this one of these "We bought a panel designed and installed by this A&E firm... then we started making some small modifications... yes we have the original prints but it's been modified so much by so many people the prints are now worthless" situations, or close to that. (Worse variants: "The A&E never gave us the prints" or "this guy who left/died/was fired knew where the prints were".)

One of my favorite things at a facility is an electrician or technician telling me "There's this device in here, we have no idea where it's from or what it does, or if it even still functions, and it's not on the prints and none of the wires are labeled. Oh and there's a green wire that has 120Vac on it."

I'm working on a fairly new building, went up in like the early 2000's or so that just got an addition. It had a fairly old style of fire alarm system in it because the large institution that owns this building decided in the 90's that this will be their forever standard panel/system and the vendor was forever good. Very quickly the fire alarm system landscape shifted and that company is regarded as a relic and that style of panel is regarded as hopelessly dated even by the early 2000s, but they stick with them because large institutions hate change.

Anyways, the new addition is constantly activating the old fire alarm system because none of the people who wired it up know anything about this ancient grandpa tech since the other brands are standard now. They've been digging into the system for a month now and everything is an undocumented clusterfuck. The shiny expensive building is barely usable because the fire alarm keeps going off, and to make it not constantly go off they have to compromise the entire system.

This is what happens when you let huge institutions make sweeping edicts about technical issues they don't even understand.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Is this one of these "We bought a panel designed and installed by this A&E firm... then we started making some small modifications...

Yeah you pretty much nailed it. The place currently is producing nearly twice the product it was originally designed for, so everything has been added onto over and over. There's been several occasions where I've spent an afternoon tracing wires/cables in order to work out how something works since the drawings are either missing or obsolete to the point of uselessness.

The company doesn't really believe in preventative maintenence either. Things don't tend to get fixed until issues affect production and there's no other option, which leaves the on site electricians coming up with 'ingenious' solutions like that desk fan in order to keep the place cobbled together and running at least until the next shift.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rahul posted:

There's been several occasions where I've spent an afternoon tracing wires/cables in order to work out how something works since the drawings are either missing or obsolete to the point of uselessness.

Isn't this what interns are for? Get some EE major to come in and trace wires for a summer.

• Locked thread