Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarence Boddicker
Jul 28, 2008

smax posted:

Could just get an aircard to plug in to your computer. You'd need to pay for a data plan, but it might make more sense than getting a second cell phone and tethering.

I occasionally use a Verizon aircard for work and it works great for VPNing into my work's LAN and working with files remotely.
This is cool. If I went with something like that, would the work I'm doing impact the data I'm pulling? It's mostly Photoshop, some wordprocessing. I'm trying to be cognizent of data usage because if I went through AT&T I think their $60/month plan is 5GB. I admittedly don't know how much data I'm using during a normal day of VPN'ing.

edit: I've looked this up and what you do does impact data usage. But apparently 100MB per day is the average for someone like myself, so 5GB per month through a cellular provider and an aircard wouldn't be a bad option. Do you have an aircard manufacturer/product preference so I can hunt down prices?

Clarence Boddicker fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Ubiquiti has point-to-point 5GHz solutions that claim 10km+ range, but I haven't used them and don't know if there's terrain or obstacles in between that would give you issues. If you're only doing office stuff then a cell network modem like smax said might make more sense.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So my ISP is ditching DSL and moving over to ethernet. I have cat6 cabling and a HP Procurve unmanaged switch. Since my internet has been quite slow until recently, I haven't bothered to look too hard at my gear.

I guess it's time to upgrade now since I'll be getting a gig next week. Edgerouter Lite should be good enough, and those AC Pro's for wifi? At least that setup is not terribly expensive.

I have a question about rj45 plugs though. I make my own 1ft cables since space is tight, does it matter if the plugs are cat5e or cat6?

E: about wifi placement. I have a 73m^2 apartment and all the walls are made from steel-reinforced concrete. The size of the apt is like 7x10 meters so the distances are not long. Would a single AP on the corridor in the middle be enough? Like this:

I currently have a lovely zyxel on the bottom wall, and the signal is pretty poor, even for streaming, in all other rooms.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 20, 2016

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Clarence Boddicker posted:

This is cool. If I went with something like that, would the work I'm doing impact the data I'm pulling? It's mostly Photoshop, some wordprocessing. I'm trying to be cognizent of data usage because if I went through AT&T I think their $60/month plan is 5GB. I admittedly don't know how much data I'm using during a normal day of VPN'ing.

edit: I've looked this up and what you do does impact data usage. But apparently 100MB per day is the average for someone like myself, so 5GB per month through a cellular provider and an aircard wouldn't be a bad option. Do you have an aircard manufacturer/product preference so I can hunt down prices?

I really don't have any specific manufacturers for stuff like that.

Question for you though: if you're accessing remote files over whatever solution you choose, the Photoshop part of that could eat up a shitload of data and would be annoying as hell to actually use. Unless all of the photoshop files are local, I'd suggest VPNing into your LAN and VNCing into a computer to do PS remotely. Depending on what you're doing in PS those files can get pretty big, and you don't want to be transmitting huge amount of data remotely (for both use ability and data cap reasons).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So a while back I asked if there was a way to set an application's affinity to a specific adapter. Flip side of that question: is there a way to specify the default adapter preference that everything will use? It definitely seems like Windows has one, since my laptop will prefer the wifi until I manually cycle the adapter to force ethernet to be the default.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

So a while back I asked if there was a way to set an application's affinity to a specific adapter. Flip side of that question: is there a way to specify the default adapter preference that everything will use? It definitely seems like Windows has one, since my laptop will prefer the wifi until I manually cycle the adapter to force ethernet to be the default.

It should prefer ethernet over wifi by default, but I have seen it not. Check this out - http://superuser.com/questions/247601/make-windows-7-ignore-wifi-when-ethernet-is-available

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm not sure about per app, but I think the "Interface Metric" in the Advanced TCP/IP settings is how you rank adapter priority.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Question: is it better to host a VPN server on a router (specifically a Ubiquiti ERPOE-5), or on an always-on computer behind the router (thinking an Intel NUC or something else for various small tasks). Would there be a significant VPN connection performance difference? This wouldn't see heavy use, just occasional remoting in to my parents' network.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
For just setting up a VPN going to your parents' network you should have no issues running it on a router. The Edgerouter user guide states it only supports PPTP so ... not the most secure option but again, this isn't an enterprise environment so I wouldn't worry about it if I were in your position. It does look like it requires a RADIUS server though so this might not actually be feasible for you.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 20, 2016

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Sheep posted:

For just setting up a VPN going to your parents' network you should have no issues running it on a router. The Edgerouter user guide states it only supports PPTP so ... not the most secure option but again, this isn't an enterprise environment so I wouldn't worry about it if I were in your position. It does look like it requires a RADIUS server though so this might not actually be feasible for you.

It looks like there's a way to set up OpenVPN on Edgerouters, but I'll have to do some reading on that. It certainly would be easier to set up on an actual computer and just forward the ports.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i have a dedicated computer for vpn behind my edgerouter X (faster than a erpoe-5) because openvpn on the edgerouter is too slow and couldn't max out my 25/10 connection

pptp and ipsec are hardware accelerated and should do 100mb but i prefer openvpn

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Perplx posted:

i have a dedicated computer for vpn behind my edgerouter X (faster than a erpoe-5) because openvpn on the edgerouter is too slow and couldn't max out my 25/10 connection

pptp and ipsec are hardware accelerated and should do 100mb but i prefer openvpn

Good to know, I'll probably go that route then. Thanks!

Clarence Boddicker
Jul 28, 2008

smax posted:

I really don't have any specific manufacturers for stuff like that.

Question for you though: if you're accessing remote files over whatever solution you choose, the Photoshop part of that could eat up a shitload of data and would be annoying as hell to actually use. Unless all of the photoshop files are local, I'd suggest VPNing into your LAN and VNCing into a computer to do PS remotely. Depending on what you're doing in PS those files can get pretty big, and you don't want to be transmitting huge amount of data remotely (for both use ability and data cap reasons).
I *think* that's what I'm doing, not 100% sure though. The Cisco client lets me VPN into the LAN and I use the stock Windows Remote Desktop Connection client to log into my machine then use the computer just like I would if I were at my desk. The data "refresh" rate on the screen can really chug along sometimes, not at a rate that would stop me from getting work done though. So I think we're on the same page?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Clarence Boddicker posted:

I *think* that's what I'm doing, not 100% sure though. The Cisco client lets me VPN into the LAN and I use the stock Windows Remote Desktop Connection client to log into my machine then use the computer just like I would if I were at my desk. The data "refresh" rate on the screen can really chug along sometimes, not at a rate that would stop me from getting work done though. So I think we're on the same page?

Yep, you're good. VNC and RDC are just 2 different ways to control a computer remotely.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Setting it up is a chore. They made setting it up as a service a little easier, but still not acceptable. That being said, you can easily make backups of your config and you can reset the password if you've forgotten it..?

And are you really complaining that you use a web browser to manage something?

Nah, its mostly I walked into a situation where a guy set up a hotel and told no one anything about what he did. No one even had a clue which computer was originally used to configure the drat network. Out of blind luck I ran into the computer he used and the proper account.. which was the locked down guest computer. I just didn't expect to have to deal with that kind of thing. Had to look up how to 'hack' the admin account and password which wasn't too hard. Just left me with a bad taste.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't really see how that's all that different than a normal "taking over for a clueless person" scenario.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ended up making a thread in the tech support thread, and they directed me here. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Problem description: for about a year, I've been dealing with lovely Internet and have done what I thought I could. I am 99% likely to get a new one because this is a bullshit modem apparently, and my attempt to fix it is like trying to make an ashtray in pottery class out of paper.

Attempted fixes: short of breaking it, I've attempted to reset it, open ports, limit connectivity, but it all seems for nothing. coverage is bullshit, speed is laughable, and sometimes so bad that it's easier just to switch my phone to carrier instead of wifi. literally nothing has improved quality of Internet, and I find myself needing to buffer shows to watch 5 minutes at a time. which really sucks.

Recent changes: bought an Amazon Firestick and it showed us how bad our internet really is.

--

Operating system: Mac OSX Yosemite

System specs: ISP Centurylink: modem: C1000a. plan is around 12/mbs. I get like 2 on good days

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm sorry that such a simple question made it into its own thread, I couldn't find anything really in the OP and people online are talking gibberish to me. something about how my modem is a 1x1 and people say a 8x4 is better and it needs to be n not a. I don't understand most, if not all of this stuff.

thanks so much!

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Soulex posted:

Ended up making a thread in the tech support thread, and they directed me here. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Problem description: for about a year, I've been dealing with lovely Internet and have done what I thought I could. I am 99% likely to get a new one because this is a bullshit modem apparently, and my attempt to fix it is like trying to make an ashtray in pottery class out of paper.

Attempted fixes: short of breaking it, I've attempted to reset it, open ports, limit connectivity, but it all seems for nothing. coverage is bullshit, speed is laughable, and sometimes so bad that it's easier just to switch my phone to carrier instead of wifi. literally nothing has improved quality of Internet, and I find myself needing to buffer shows to watch 5 minutes at a time. which really sucks.

Recent changes: bought an Amazon Firestick and it showed us how bad our internet really is.

--

Operating system: Mac OSX Yosemite

System specs: ISP Centurylink: modem: C1000a. plan is around 12/mbs. I get like 2 on good days

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm sorry that such a simple question made it into its own thread, I couldn't find anything really in the OP and people online are talking gibberish to me. something about how my modem is a 1x1 and people say a 8x4 is better and it needs to be n not a. I don't understand most, if not all of this stuff.

thanks so much!

Contact your ISP customer support, get a new modem. If it fixes your problem, great. If not, change ISP.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sheep posted:

Edgerouter X only natively supports PPTP, but the Edgerouter Lite and above have hardware ipsec offloading. It's all implemented with openvpn anyways.

RADIUS is actually optional if you're willing to poke around in the command line, but that's extremely not-ideal because the openvpn local-user-list gets stored in plaintext (along with passwords in plaintext)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

redeyes posted:

Nah, its mostly I walked into a situation where a guy set up a hotel and told no one anything about what he did. No one even had a clue which computer was originally used to configure the drat network. Out of blind luck I ran into the computer he used and the proper account.. which was the locked down guest computer. I just didn't expect to have to deal with that kind of thing. Had to look up how to 'hack' the admin account and password which wasn't too hard. Just left me with a bad taste.

I'm sorry, you want a system to easily let you reset the admin password? I'm confused about how any of this makes Ubiquiti a bad product.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I don't really see how that's all that different than a normal "taking over for a clueless person" scenario.

Pretty much this.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

CrazyLittle posted:

Edgerouter X only natively supports PPTP, but the Edgerouter Lite and above have hardware ipsec offloading. It's all implemented with openvpn anyways.

RADIUS is actually optional if you're willing to poke around in the command line, but that's extremely not-ideal because the openvpn local-user-list gets stored in plaintext (along with passwords in plaintext)

To be fair, if an attacker is poking around the file system on your edge device or browsing through its raw config on the device itself you are probably already hosed.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

snuff posted:

Contact your ISP customer support, get a new modem. If it fixes your problem, great. If not, change ISP.

That's why I'm confused, because I'm getting 45ms ping, 12.91 Mbps and .79 Mbps Upload on two different devices, give or take a few decimals. But when I try to stream or whatever it just shits the bed so hard.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Soulex posted:

That's why I'm confused, because I'm getting 45ms ping, 12.91 Mbps and .79 Mbps Upload on two different devices, give or take a few decimals. But when I try to stream or whatever it just shits the bed so hard.

Sounds like an ISP issue to me. That smells like throttling.

EDIT: If you want to test this, connect to a VPN and try to stream something. A VPN encrypts web traffic, so the ISP won't have any idea you're streaming videos and they can't throttle it. If you have no issues over a VPN, but you have problems while not on a VPN: throttling.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Is there a way to do that on fire sticks? Also why isn't that illegal?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm sorry, you want a system to easily let you reset the admin password? I'm confused about how any of this makes Ubiquiti a bad product.

Oh, the bad part was using the java BS on one computer. Without that you are stuck resetting stuff manually, you don't even get to try passwords.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's really trivial to reset the password on the Unifi controller. It's not exactly rare to need Java to run a server. It's a pain, but it's not unheard of. And if you don't have access to the controller, all you need to do is stand up a new one and factory reset the WAPs. As long as you know the wifi SSID and password, you can set it back up and all the client devices will connect. And it's not like not having access to the controller is a production down event, the WAPs will keep working just fine with it offline.

I get that you like Mikrotik stuff, and while I haven't worked with them I'm sure they're great. And I know you do mostly smaller jobs (IIRC), but what your criticizing isn't really all that outrageous. Minus the situation with the IT dude who doesn't like doing documentation (I'm shocked.)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Antillie posted:

To be fair, if an attacker is poking around the file system on your edge device or browsing through its raw config on the device itself you are probably already hosed.
True, but we -are- talking about storing a password that likely wouldn't be in a password manager. Better safe than sorry, no? Either way RADIUS is not a solid "requirement" to use the VPN features on Edgemax routers.

It's really trivial to reset the password on the Unifi controller. It's not exactly rare to need Java to run a server. It's a pain, but it's not unheard of. And if you don't have access to the controller, all you need to do is stand up a new one and factory reset the WAPs. As long as you know the wifi SSID and password, you can set it back up and all the client devices will connect. And it's not like not having access to the controller is a production down event, the WAPs will keep working just fine with it offline.

I get that you like Mikrotik stuff, and while I haven't worked with them I'm sure they're great. And I know you do mostly smaller jobs (IIRC), but what your criticizing isn't really all that outrageous. Minus the situation with the IT dude who doesn't like doing documentation (I'm shocked.)

You can also sidestep the whole "server on a PC" by getting the cloudkey, which is a unifi controller-on-a-stick.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I'm having trouble with my cable connection. My download is usually okay, but it will tank if my upload gets below 1/mbs. Cox is coming out to look at it but in the past they only temporarily fixed this problem. I'm hoping it's something I can fix on my end by using an amplifier with active return, but I hear they very seldom help.

By the looks of these numbers it seems like my signal is borderline in almost every area.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You don't need an active return amp. The upstream power levels are already on the low end, and it's actually ideal for modems to send upstream signals at higher power levels since it can improve SNR. An active return amp would make them lower, which would probably push them out of spec. The downstream actually looks ok, albeit on the low end for both power level and SNR. With these numbers, a downstream amp is only worth it if it will raise your downstream SNR. Otherwise it'll probably introduce more noise. Here's some info on acceptable ranges for Cox's network.

I'd get a tech out there to at least run a new drop from the pole, and maybe get engineering to adjust the amp on your neighborhood's segment.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

SamDabbers posted:

You don't need an active return amp. The upstream power levels are already on the low end, and it's actually ideal for modems to send upstream signals at higher power levels since it can improve SNR. An active return amp would make them lower, which would probably push them out of spec. The downstream actually looks ok, albeit on the low end for both power level and SNR. With these numbers, a downstream amp is only worth it if it will raise your downstream SNR. Otherwise it'll probably introduce more noise. Here's some info on acceptable ranges for Cox's network.

I'd get a tech out there to at least run a new drop from the pole, and maybe get engineering to adjust the amp on your neighborhood's segment.

Thanks! I'll be sure to do that.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Something you can do yourself is to make sure every coax connection from the outside box to your cable modem is tight. Loose connections allow noise to leak in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Soulex posted:

There are too many unknown variables to give you any good advice. Could be a problem with your internet connection, could be a problem with your gateway, could be a wireless performance issue in your house.

Is your computer hardwired to the internet gateway?

If so, does streaming on the computer work OK?

Streaming over WiFi sucks, what other wifi devices do you have? Do you have issues with all of them?

Can you get any connection details out of the gateway? There should be a DSL Status page on the gateway with information about your DSL link.

What kind of wireless signal strength are you getting? Where is the gateway physically located? Is it obstructed? Put in a wood cabinet? On the floor next to a metal filing cabinet?

What are the current wireless settings on the gateway? Signal power, Channel, and modes of operation are all useful information.

Speedtest websites suck, try downloading a 100MB test file from a hosting provider and see how long it takes. Try one of these that is closest to you https://www.linode.com/speedtest

*PS I loving hate my Amazon Fire TV stick. Wifi reception is garbage, I'm lucky if it doesn't crash during a TV show. I find myself going back to my AppleTV instead.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I am looking for help trying to upgrade my home network setup. I currently have a super basic setup consisting of a Cable modem for Comcast ISP, a belkin wireless router, two computers on wireless cards, and a Roku for TV needs. However I recently started regaining interest in computer tech as a hobby that I haven't had since being your average college nerd a decade ago. So basically I've got a ton of catching up and refreshing my knowledge base so please pardon these questions if they are dumb!

I recently started using a Plex server on my main PC and really love the functionality. However I haven't had much luck being able to remote access it from work because my router only allows port forwarding if you turn off the entire firewall, and secondly doesn't have the ability to specify IP address per MAC address, so my IP is always changing for the port forward even if I do turn off the Firewall.

As such I want to get a new router, but there is so much on the market I really don't know where to start. I figure since I'm upgrading I might as well make the best of it so am also looking for a router that can support VPN access once I learn how to do that as well. Also if it helps with selection I've been messing around with silly "smart home" toys like Philips Hue, as well as recently adding two tablets, and a smartphone to my wireless activities in the house. Is a wireless router sufficient and at what point does is make sense to switch over to a better wired router with wifi accesspoint?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I am looking for help trying to upgrade my home network setup. I currently have a super basic setup consisting of a Cable modem for Comcast ISP, a belkin wireless router, two computers on wireless cards, and a Roku for TV needs. However I recently started regaining interest in computer tech as a hobby that I haven't had since being your average college nerd a decade ago. So basically I've got a ton of catching up and refreshing my knowledge base so please pardon these questions if they are dumb!

I recently started using a Plex server on my main PC and really love the functionality. However I haven't had much luck being able to remote access it from work because my router only allows port forwarding if you turn off the entire firewall, and secondly doesn't have the ability to specify IP address per MAC address, so my IP is always changing for the port forward even if I do turn off the Firewall.

As such I want to get a new router, but there is so much on the market I really don't know where to start. I figure since I'm upgrading I might as well make the best of it so am also looking for a router that can support VPN access once I learn how to do that as well. Also if it helps with selection I've been messing around with silly "smart home" toys like Philips Hue, as well as recently adding two tablets, and a smartphone to my wireless activities in the house. Is a wireless router sufficient and at what point does is make sense to switch over to a better wired router with wifi accesspoint?

I would start with taking a look at the Archer C7. The Archer C9 is also a good option if you want more wifi speed. If you want to take the dive out of the consumer grade area and into the deep end of the pool the Edgerouter X and a Unifi AP-AC-Lite make a great combo for home use.

The VPN requirement muddles things a bit. The Archer routers may be able to do a basic VPN solution. The Edgerouter will certainly be able to. But VPNs are generally not easy to setup unless you really know what you are doing.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 22, 2016

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Thanks to previous posts in this thread, I was able to get Fios over ethernet cable by subscribing to a sufficiently fast package. I guess now I have to start looking at home networking. I'm getting reasonable signal strength throughout the house with the single wireless modem connected in my basement (rooms that aren't over the basement fare a bit worse). Should I start running cat cable everywhere and set up multiple wireless access points across the house, or is that overkill?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Antillie posted:

I would start with taking a look at the Archer C7. The Archer C9 is also a good option if you want more wifi speed. If you want to take the dive out of the consumer grade area and into the deep end of the pool the Edgerouter X and a Unifi AP-AC-Lite make a great combo for home use.

The VPN requirement muddles things a bit. The Archer routers may be able to do a basic VPN solution. The Edgerouter will certainly be able to. But VPNs are generally not easy to setup unless you really know what you are doing.

Thanks for this. I think I'm leaning towards the Edgerouter solution as I'd like to future proof this as much as possible, for when the internet of things starts to kick into high gear. However I'm a bit confused with the X as it seems that it needs POE to run and doesn't have an ac connection? Today was the first I've ever heard about POE so maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't believe my cable modem will give POE to the router?

For the VPN is it better to buy a program and run the VPN on my plex server PC since it will always be powered on? VPN really isn't top priority for now, again more of just wanting to future proof.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Gameko posted:

Thanks to previous posts in this thread, I was able to get Fios over ethernet cable by subscribing to a sufficiently fast package. I guess now I have to start looking at home networking. I'm getting reasonable signal strength throughout the house with the single wireless modem connected in my basement (rooms that aren't over the basement fare a bit worse). Should I start running cat cable everywhere and set up multiple wireless access points across the house, or is that overkill?

Well if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you want to run some cable or use powerline adapters to hook up and AP somewhere you certainly can. The real question is do you feel that you need to when you use the wifi in the rooms that aren't over the basement? Not all devices need or can even take advantage of a truly fast internet connection. Unless your walls are rebar or metal mesh reinforced concrete one or two APs should be plenty.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Thanks for this. I think I'm leaning towards the Edgerouter solution as I'd like to future proof this as much as possible, for when the internet of things starts to kick into high gear. However I'm a bit confused with the X as it seems that it needs POE to run and doesn't have an ac connection? Today was the first I've ever heard about POE so maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't believe my cable modem will give POE to the router?

For the VPN is it better to buy a program and run the VPN on my plex server PC since it will always be powered on? VPN really isn't top priority for now, again more of just wanting to future proof.

According to this unboxing it comes with a wall plug adapter. So you can power it from a wall plug and then power the AC-AP-Lite with the PoE injector that comes with the AP. Or you could get another 24v PoE injector and skip the wall plug all together.

You can either run the VPN on your server or on your router. If you want to try setting up a VPN server yourself OpenVPN is free and quite nice once you figure out how to use it. Personally I like to run VPNs on routers and firewalls. I use a small PC running pfSense as a router, it has OpenVPN support built in.

You mentioned future proofing so I think its worth mentioning that the Edgerouter X will max out somewhere around 500-600mbps for WAN<->LAN performance. This plenty fast for most people but not enough for a gigabit connection. For that you need a Edgerouter Lite and a separate switch.

Edit: That unboxing video is also a great guide for how to setup the Edgerouter X.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think I know the answer to this, but thought I'd ask just to be 100% sure.

I relative just bought a home and they have Cat5 wired to all rooms.

They have their TV service through their ISP so it's all internet based and goes to their PVR via the RJ45 port on the wall. Issue is we want to plug his PS3 in with RJ45 too to get rid of sketchy wifi where it is.

Question: Is the only realistic/inexpensive way to do this is just get the smallest/cheapest (3-port+) switch I can find?

Side, is DLink OK for cheap stuff? Looking for an 8-port switch/hub for distributing to the other rooms off their router.

Thanks