Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone who is aptly skilled willing to delve into the dark recesses of the game files to find the list of kickstarter inputted heroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ZypherIM posted:

Yea the loot code is visible in the files. Doctor Schnabel has the lines straight out, a few pages back I had looked into it. Basically running at 51-75 light gives you a 25% chance at bonus loot. So each step is worth it if you can handle it, and running above 0 light removes chances of surprise shamblers, and you can still get pretty good chances at loot while not getting screwed by combat buffs to enemies.
Neat - wish the tool tip reflected that.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Darkest Dungeon trip report - I was starting to get cocky about 8 rooms deep when a fight suddenly went sour fast. Back to back Rend for the New God crits put poor Fiddler onto death's door and he bled out immediately on his turn. From there I just barely squeaked through the fight and decided to camp to lick my wounds. Of course I get ambushed, my vestal, Picker, gets pulled out of position in the first turn and taken down quickly leaving just 2 heroes left. Whiskeyjack, my crusader, emboldened by the loss of his comrades becomes stalwart but my hellion, Detoran, gets a little too into it and turns masochistic. They finish the fight handily but I decide there is no way they can continue, so they flip a coin to see which one will hold the line and which will go home to tell the tale.

Whiskeyjack will never forget the loss of his comrades that day.

Taratang fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 20, 2016

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Innerguard posted:

Anyone who is aptly skilled willing to delve into the dark recesses of the game files to find the list of kickstarter inputted heroes?

All of the backer heroes are listed in \DarkestDungeon\shared\hero\backer_heroes.json

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So what's all this about drama, people being mad and apparently the devs are corrupt vile scum now or something? I dunno I haven't played since the Cove was introduced but a friend messaged me with a link to a
crazy
review and it's hilarious.

The modder who made the Deepest Dark mod completely lost his poo poo, and had a full Tessera-level meltdown.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

EightDeer posted:

The modder who made the Deepest Dark mod completely lost his poo poo, and had a full Tessera-level meltdown.

Boy oh boy is there more to it? I do love modder drama.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Question. Did anyone ever figure out more of the Curio interactions? Because the OP didn't really say anything about a few items, such as the Sacrificial Stone in the Warrens or the Shambler's Altar (a VERY important one to know about).

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I don't know many of the details, but I do know he's spamming Jim Sterling's social media to hell and back.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How could you not figure out how too use the Shamblar's altar? It literally says "stick a torch in me if you want too die".

EDIT: Fucks sake, the Leper got screwed even more by the camp buff thing. Raising his accuracy with his camp buff was the only way I could make him tolerable. Now he just whiffs way too much.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 20, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

How could you not figure out how too use the Shamblar's altar? It literally says "stick a torch in me if you want too die".

Because some people think that maybe it's an Occultist thing. Said people also haven't seen the Eldritch Altars.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Wow I think that guy really needs to see a therapist. Not joking at all, that comment thread is a crazy rear end rabbit hole.

For curio interactions, I've found this to be pretty good. I think I've found 1 error, but it is organized nicely and isn't on the terrible wiki.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386706480

Note that the heirloom chest is ONLY the key, the antivenom only unlocks the left luggage.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

He claims to have spent 1000+ hours playing his own mod (which seems to have been a fairly simple "increase monster HP and damage" difficulty mod.) Over the course of about 6 months, meaning he made a full time job of playing his own mod no one else cared about.

This is what he says about himself to make himself look good.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Innerguard posted:

Do it. Report back.....

If you dare.

I did it haha...

as soon as we got inside, they all screamed "THIS DUNGEON IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR ME!"

we made it through 2 hallway fights then died in the first room

though it looks like the enemies are scaled so if they had been trained level 1s instead of fresh recruits they probably could have made it further.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

God drat it, danced too close to the fire. Found a secret room, got more treasure than I could possibly hold, but my party got too weakened and stressed out and I should have just retreated from the next couple of battles and abandoned the quest. Everyone got wiped out on the last battle room. gently caress. That was my best hellion!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol whoever that Celerity guy in the reviews is loving insane and beyond help

maybe it's just me but the framerate seems a bit better. game still feels same except for bigger font? seems a bit clearer.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Do I really have to start a new game to get the fully upgrade town/abbey/etc. achievements? And god knows how many times i've had to abandon quests over the past few months, I hate having to do it again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Started up a new game, and in my first proper dungeon I run into the Collector for the first time ever. My torch level was really high, too - I barely survived the battle with two heroes on Death's Door, and had to abandon the quest - but hey! Everyone survived in the end. :D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any basic tips to keep in mind before I begin?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

ImpAtom posted:

You will fail. Accept it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ImpAtom posted:

Keep your light levels up, don't be afraid to abandon quests, upgrade the caravan/roster first, ditch heroes if they have too many expensive bad quirks. Also keep an eye on which positions your heroes' skills can hit from where, so you don't accidentally stick a hero in a spot they can't hit anything from.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

All upgrades to the caravan asap.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol whoever that Celerity guy in the reviews is loving insane and beyond help

maybe it's just me but the framerate seems a bit better. game still feels same except for bigger font? seems a bit clearer.

Him and ZiN got banned from the Steam forums for being insufferable jackasses. The devs have been very nice and patient with people, and actually did implement a lot of changes based on user feedback (such as being able to toggle different features of the game to tailor your difficulty).

They were kickstarter backers too I think, and felt massively betrayed that a game they expected to go one way went another way.

There's also a whole slew of autistic crybabies whose complaints seem to boil down to the fact that they used to minmax the gently caress out of the game when stress was far less punishing. As the game was developed their old cheesy exploits no longer worked which was unacceptable to them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tried the Darkest Dungeon with my best team. Here's how it went! :shepicide:

I went in completely blind and that's the result. I didn't know what too expect. I just brought a ton of torches and food, but if I wasn't dumb I would of also brought status supplies.

Everything in there kills you with bleed. Its bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed BLEED. If I'd brought a stack of bandages I would of won, but the bleed was too much to overcome even with abomination healing and wyrd reconstruction. Well, partially. What actually killed everyone was stress. When your stuck trying to patch people out of death's door, the stress racks up fast. That's on top of enemies doing tons of stress damage. Honestly, it seemed kind of crazy, I dunno how a party without a Jester on lute support would make it to the end without everyone going crazy. I had to abuse that and absolution too stay sane.

Made it to the boss but the bleed damage was overwhelming and everyone went crazy while I tried to figure out what the gently caress to do. When it summoned the big fuckoff wall, I realized I couldn't brute force it. Cue like 8 turns of failed retreats, finally succeeding only after Ernie suffers from a heart attack. And then the stress from the retreat caused Mercy and Bert to keel over in the hallway. Slog had a heart attack as well, but didn't die for some reason. Not sure if that's a glitch or heart attacks have a chance to be survived. I thought they were always instant kills.

So Darkest Dungeon; bring bandages. Don't bring a team that handles stress poorly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 20, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
1 Don't bring a party that [x]
2 Don't [x]
3 APPLY DMG
4 TAKE DMG

5 END DD

6 GOTO 1

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Woof, this really stuttery now. I verified the cache and everything but drat, it hiccups on every curio, encounter, freakin' everything.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

So if it can summon a wall, then i guess that means kill the thing in the robe last so it has no space to summon anything. Pretty much the same strategy as with the regular Shambler and its little minions, right?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think Lepers really needed any buffs. They're still one of my favorite classes for the front.

I'm really not feeling the Abom at the start of the game. The party-wide stress is a bit much. The chain attack is okay in human form though!

Anal Surgery posted:

Woof, this really stuttery now. I verified the cache and everything but drat, it hiccups on every curio, encounter, freakin' everything.
There was like a 7mb patch at some point tonight that seemed to help in that regard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FourLeaf posted:

So if it can summon a wall, then i guess that means kill the thing in the robe last so it has no space to summon anything. Pretty much the same strategy as with the regular Shambler and its little minions, right?

Yeah the worst the Robe guy is gonna do is rack up extra bleed damage but again, a huge stack of bandages/plague doctor would make that pretty manageable. I killed the priest first because I figured he would do something nasty if I left him alive, but all he did was the stuff the rest of the priests do. I could brute forced the Shambler down before the bleed got me if it hadn't summoned that wall.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Now that it's finally been released, I can return.
First things first, time to sacrifice a lvl 0-1 party to the Darkest Dungeon. (gained achievement: total party wipe)

Initial thoughts on my return: I like the corpse mechanic. It seems to let back-row-targeting attacks stay more relevant at the end of a fight, and it adds an extra layer of hassle to neutering ranged enemies by eliminating the front row.
I'm not surprised at all that scrubs freaked out about heart attacks and corpses. When I played in the early access days there were a lot of cheesy strats that were so degenerate as to require patching out. I'm especially happy at the fix to stunspam.
Things seem to be a little tighter for unupgraded parties at lvl 0-1 than I remember, but with upgrades you can tear through the easy dungeons same as always.
I'm happy that you get a little gold back for superfluous supplies, since my strategy has gravitated towards 'pack as much as you can'

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Haven't played this game since the earliest days of Early Access and was pleased to see that it came out in full today. Fired it up, used a thing I hadn't seen before, and...

:bloodborne:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Notorious QIG posted:

Haven't played this game since the earliest days of Early Access and was pleased to see that it came out in full today. Fired it up, used a thing I hadn't seen before, and...

:bloodborne:

Didn't we just say that Shamber's Altars will give you death if you set it on fire.

Unrelated, but what'd be some recommended items in terms of curio interaction? I'm usually bringing 3 of everything and frequently run out of space for loot.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Each dungeon has items that are more important. Herbs for warrens, bandages for weald, holy water for...? I haven't played in a while.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

widespread posted:

Didn't we just say that Shamber's Altars will give you death if you set it on fire.

I mean I'm not going seeking out spoilers, just kind of skimming the thread now. I prefer to learn through horrible death rather than forum posts.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

odiv posted:

Each dungeon has items that are more important. Herbs for warrens, bandages for weald, holy water for...? I haven't played in a while.

I want to say Holy Water always, since every dungeon can have the generic stuff. But Cove is a good place for Holy Water, as is the Ruins.

Notorious QIG posted:

I mean I'm not going seeking out spoilers, just kind of skimming the thread now. I prefer to learn through horrible death rather than forum posts.

Fair enough. I actually learned not to gently caress with the red orb through horrible death as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Corpses are awful, make no mechanical sense, and force certain party composition. Punishing diseases with almost no good quirks is laughable. Stress is even worse and instead of a tough as nails rogue-like I'm playing an RNG crawler designed just for those who've put in hundreds of hours already.

You had gold in your hands Red Hook.

Squandered."

lol like holy loving poo poo this game has the most incredibly bad negative reviews, "no mechanical sense, forces specific compositions" :qq:

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
Well, it's unfortunate, but I think I'm going to have to call it quits on this game. I really do enjoy it, but it's gotten too much for me to handle. I don't know if it's the trinkets, the loadout, my playstyle, or what but I'm not making any progress, I can't pin down why, and I find myself more aggravated than anything. I'm glad I backed the game, I really am, but I just can't play it anymore. A shame since the final dungeon is literally right there, but it's better to admit that I'm not having fun, than blame the game for being what it is. It's good, and I love it, it's just not enjoyable anymore.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
"THIS GAME IS poo poo!" - 85 hours played

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Corpses are actually a pretty ingenious addition to the game and I like how they affect the mechanics and flow of battle a lot. Darkest Dungeon is a better game with them than without them.

There are a few tweaks I can understand getting people hot and bothered under the collar but corpses aren't one of them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ranter posted:

"THIS GAME IS poo poo!" - 85 hours played

the thing is, I can understand that a game with admittedly repetitious gameplay will get tiresome after like 80 hours or whatever but man, some bad reviews have like 70 loving hours of this. I've had this since day one and only have 45 hours. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Bad Seafood posted:

Corpses are actually a pretty ingenious addition to the game and I like how they affect the mechanics and flow of battle a lot. Darkest Dungeon is a better game with them than without them.

There are a few tweaks I can understand getting people hot and bothered under the collar but corpses aren't one of them.

I think the big deal rests in fact that they are corpses. I feel like if they were something like magical walls that spring up at the site of violent deaths, people would have taken it a lot better. As much as I like corpses and how they change the mechanics, I really feel like the fact that dead bodies are providing cover is the biggest thing that people couldn't get their heads around. Although the fact that they ruined the super cheesy strats people were using certainly didn't help matters.