Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

nerdz posted:

Lol, no. They're doing the opposite of this, offering free whatsapp with their plans. That goes against net neutrality, by the way.

Net Neutrality is barely a thing that people even think about outside of OECD. In a lot of countries nowadays Facebook (and only Facebook) doesn't count against your data anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

CHARLES posted:

Net Neutrality is barely a thing that people even think about outside of OECD. In a lot of countries nowadays Facebook (and only Facebook) doesn't count against your data anymore.

Brazil (ostensibly) cares about net neutrality, they passed a whole big law about it last year.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://graphics.latimes.com/syria-to-brazil/

Syrians can't have nice things.

E: Haha

quote:

They socialize with friends at the mosque after Friday prayers, but “the Islam here in Brazil is a milder Islam,” he says unhappily. The mosques host parties with balloons and cake, a practice he can’t endorse.

He stands in line for coffee at a Starbucks. Nearby, a young male couple kiss passionately. He sits down with his drink. At the table behind him, a man and a woman are kissing.

“It’s a good country, but it’s not for us — not for Muslims,” he says.

Some of the women he tutors in English like to greet him with a hug, and he hugs back, because what is he supposed to do?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Not hugs, balloons, and cake. :ohdear:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Brazil sounds like a pretty cool place.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

I opened some job positions for syrian refugees in my company and I heard some stories that sorta match this article. That the syrian lebanese community is full of assholes that either only care about christian refugees, or don't care at all. This guy told me he has family in here, and they told him not to call them or try to get in contact in any way.

Also it seems to me that a lot of their problems stem from living in São Paulo, with one of the higher costs of living in the country and all the usual problems that come with a metropolis.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Syrian/Lebanese community in Sampa is mostly made of Maronites yeah (On other cities too, there's a big church founded by them near to where I live). Isn't there a sizeable Muslim population on Foz do Iguaçu and some cities on Goiás though?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Syrian/Lebanese community in Sampa is mostly made of Maronites yeah (On other cities too, there's a big church founded by them near to where I live). Isn't there a sizeable Muslim population on Foz do Iguaçu and some cities on Goiás though?

There is in Campo Grande at least.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeah, I'm in goias, but I mostly found maronite churches and stuff like that when looking for refugees. Though I worked with some muslim syrian descendants and they were completely secular, only their parents or grandparents did anything close to practice islam and none of them actually congregated.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I've been reading a lot of stories about Brazil refusing to accepting Israel's new ambassador because he's a big time settler person - is this any kind of story in Brazil itself?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

I've been reading a lot of stories about Brazil refusing to accepting Israel's new ambassador because he's a big time settler person - is this any kind of story in Brazil itself?

Nope. But if there was a lack of bad news, the government opposition would probably spin this as Dilma being a terrorist supporter, like this dude here about the Palestine embassy being built in Brasilia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy5xmGMELus

I like how the guy just makes things up on the spot:

- Lula donated the terrain
- Also donated extra 25 million
- The terrorism embassy plans on taking over brazil in 15 years
- They will fill the embassy with bombs and AK-47s
- 75% of muslims support ISIS

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 13, 2016

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

We 3rd world country now.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Come on nice colorful bills are the way to go.

Have you seen Euros? They're godawful, I'd rather stick to my rainbow-colored butterflies thank you very much.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Future Days posted:

Is this the definitive one? So close, and yet so far. Could have done without the cartoon yaguarete on the back and the badly drawn flowers on the front. Still better than the Evita one, lol. Like the blue Malvinas' one at least.

Par for the course for his new government so far really

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Future Days posted:

Brazilian regional hegemony expresses itself through animal money

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Future Days posted:

500 peso bills are perfectly cromulent :colbert: :cryingcondorito:

fnox
May 19, 2013

Venezuela actually needs a 500 bolivar bill and they never got around to design it and print it. Everything about our money is stupid, the limit per withdrawal on an ATM in Venezuela is 600 bolivares (A dollar is 860 bolivares), and for whatever loving reason the workaround for that was just allow you to withdraw 6 times per day rather than withdraw more money per transaction. So you have to wait in line for 20 loving minutes waiting for some rear end in a top hat to withdraw a whooping 3 and a half dollars worth of bolivares :cry:.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

fnox posted:

Venezuela actually needs a 500 bolivar bill and they never got around to design it and print it. Everything about our money is stupid, the limit per withdrawal on an ATM in Venezuela is 600 bolivares (A dollar is 860 bolivares), and for whatever loving reason the workaround for that was just allow you to withdraw 6 times per day rather than withdraw more money per transaction. So you have to wait in line for 20 loving minutes waiting for some rear end in a top hat to withdraw a whooping 3 and a half dollars worth of bolivares :cry:.

Seems untenable with the record inflation you've got going. How prevalent is credit card use in Venezuela?

e:

Chewbaccanator fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 19, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Been there done that

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I still remember going to the local House of Coinage in Buenos Aires, and they had a section telling of a series of bills where they started chronologically with presidents of Argentina. Except due to inflation they had to keep printing higher denominations, and eventually ran out of presidents.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Been there done that

Hey, it has TWO different denominations on the same bill, AMAZING.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Dias posted:

Hey, it has TWO different denominations on the same bill, AMAZING.

Prize goes to the guy that brings one with 3 denominations.
Looking at you, Argentinians.

e: ok lol you Brazilians have had a zillion currencies I didn't know about.

Chewbaccanator fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
the peso of my heart

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Here's a picture of two pesos:

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

Markovnikov posted:

I still remember going to the local House of Coinage in Buenos Aires, and they had a section telling of a series of bills where they started chronologically with presidents of Argentina. Except due to inflation they had to keep printing higher denominations, and eventually ran out of presidents.

Nice tale but a bit exaggerated. We barely got to president Quintana from the beginning of the 20th century with the $500K Austral bill in... 1990 I guess?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

Nope. But if there was a lack of bad news, the government opposition would probably spin this as Dilma being a terrorist supporter, like this dude here about the Palestine embassy being built in Brasilia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy5xmGMELus

I like how the guy just makes things up on the spot:

- Lula donated the terrain
- Also donated extra 25 million
- The terrorism embassy plans on taking over brazil in 15 years
- They will fill the embassy with bombs and AK-47s
- 75% of muslims support ISIS

How well are those Syrian refugees y'all took in down there integrating into your cavalier, carnival culture?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Tony Sorete posted:

Nice tale but a bit exaggerated. We barely got to president Quintana from the beginning of the 20th century with the $500K Austral bill in... 1990 I guess?

Hey it was what the museum said. I think it was some rather early version of the peso, that's why they ran out of dudes so quickly. At any rate, knowing our country's history it's convincing enough to be true.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Markovnikov posted:

Hey it was what the museum said. I think it was some rather early version of the peso, that's why they ran out of dudes so quickly. At any rate, knowing our country's history it's convincing enough to be true.

Who's currency features more former slave owners, America's or Brazil's?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

How well are those Syrian refugees y'all took in down there integrating into your cavalier, carnival culture?

I posted about it on this same page.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

My Imaginary GF posted:

http://blogs.oglobo.globo.com/ancelmo/post/prefeitura-do-rio-recolhe-esfirras-de-refugiados-sirios.html

quote:

The war ended in sfiha

You know the Syrians who fled the war, arrived in Rio about four months ago and started selling delicacies such as kibbehs and sfihas in the city streets? The day before yesterday the Public Order Department made ​​that "rapa" and seized all. When he learned about it, Eduardo Paes [the mayor] called the three Syrians (pictured), Rami, Ahmad and Mohamoud into his office, said they are welcome to the city and gave them street vendor licenses for them to keep working selling food. "You can not get away from the Islamic State to be chased by the 'rapa' , right?" joked the mayor. Makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFUUAug-GUA

anyone that can make hummus is welcome in this country.

the hardest thing for them is the language and the fact that it's hard as gently caress for a refugee to re-validate their diplomas.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Wouldn't know but the 100 peso bill glorifies the american aboriginal's genocide (Campaña del Desierto).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

:can:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

1k Pesos bill to include La Mano de Dios

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
$10 pesos bill should be Maradona and the $1000 Luca Prodan.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oooh, ooooh, can we make one of the bills an alfajor?

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

hecko posted:

...and the $1000 Luca Prodan.

I could totally stand behind this.

Markovnikov, I'll have to go back to the Mint museum and see that. It was so long ago that I don't even remember what they told us there.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Magrov posted:

the hardest thing for them is the language and the fact that it's hard as gently caress for a refugee to re-validate their diplomas.
It's hard as gently caress for anyone to validate diplomas, I'd imagine it's practically impossible for refugees without exceptions being made.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

My Imaginary GF posted:

Mostly not very well http://graphics.latimes.com/syria-to-brazil/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

quote:

They socialize with friends at the mosque after Friday prayers, but “the Islam here in Brazil is a milder Islam,” he says unhappily. The mosques host parties with balloons and cake, a practice he can’t endorse.

This is so :brazil: it hurts

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you mean in current denomination I don't think animals ever owned slaves, but if you were to count every brazilian currency ever we'd probably get ahead by sheer number of different notes