Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Please can you use the tags when posing big spoilers in future?

:golfclap:

This did not get enough love.

Elmnt80 posted:

I could sit outside my dad's house and hear them running at the little 1/8th mile track in kenedale (all of 5 miles away). I can't imagine how many noise complaints that track has given all the people from Arlington that were moving into that area to live in a more "rural, rustic area". :v:

It's still operating, and as far as I know, the dirt oval there is still open, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

eberbs posted:

don't think I have posted this picture before.
I drive tow truck and got a call for a flat tire and found this:

big rear end Robertson bit.

at least its quick release.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

https://i.imgur.com/n2Fz5gj.webm

And... then... the... turbos... kick... in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:stare: That escalated quickly. That's not the typical short-lived fireball you see in those videos as the engine decides to realize its dream of becoming a bomb casing.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Bajaha posted:

:catstare:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Godholio posted:

:stare: That escalated quickly. That's not the typical short-lived fireball you see in those videos as the engine decides to realize its dream of becoming a bomb casing.

That is amazing.

:dance:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Boost in, apex seals head bolts out?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thats the fuel system turning into flame throwers there right?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats the fuel system turning into flame throwers there right?

That's what I'm assuming, given that the engine appears to decided it was time to peace out of the engine bay I'm assuming it left a couple of fuel lines, a red hot exhaust manifold and exposed electrical connections in its place.

edit: I'm being a dumbass and thought about it more.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 20, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Boost in, apex seals head bolts everything else out?

There we go.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Tires wear much? :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uh oh, I think that Explorer needs to pee.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^ the Explorer is a mechanical failure it's self. I have done so many control Arms on those. And often pray and beg for the lines to stay in one rusty piece.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sample size of one and all but the Explorer with 30k I had the pleasure of driving was great fun. On average it took 4 tries to get it to shift into reverse!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bajaha posted:

Want to see the aftermath pictures of that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrChips posted:

Want to see the aftermath pictures of that.

Think Chernobyl Nuclear plant after the meltdown

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Root Bear posted:

My Integra looked like that after I whacked a curb head on. Somehow I managed to bend the poo poo out of the subframe. :downs:

Driving it to the shop a few days later was fun!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

8ender posted:

The difference in how they treat Audi and VW owners is pretty startling. When I have to bring my Audi to a dealer I get to sit in a nice leather sofa chair and drink complimentary beverages. The VW folks sit on hard plastic chairs in what looks like a faithful recreation of a DMV waiting room. They don't know that I spent $6k on my Audi so I just live a lie.

Our local Audi dealer was nice on the face, but sucked rear end in actually fixing stuff. They were also pretty stupid. We ended up buying a car from them because my dad is good friends with the second in command of the chain. At some point, perhaps after the first hosed up engine rebuild, my father's friend intervened, so they pretty much knew who he was. They still tried to screw him over and did shoddy work until he sold that loving car, many issues only being once again resolved with a call. It didn't help that it was an early 2000s audi, but goddamn. Thank god for warranties.
This is the disadvantage of buying a car somewhere where there is only one dealer for the brand.

edit: The car was a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T manual quattro, so it basically is a horrible mechanical failure, and as expected had the engine and transmission out several times before the warranty expired.

Root Bear posted:

I wanna see this drive at 70 mph. (With no one near it.)

nm fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 20, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I both saw and heard a chrysler pacifica driving down Westheimer road in Houston doing about 40mph with one wheel cocked a good 20 inwards. It sounded like the worlds best sustained drift. It didn't look like she was in a hurry to get it fixed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SouthsideSaint posted:

^^ the Explorer is a mechanical failure it's self. I have done so many control Arms on those. And often pray and beg for the lines to stay in one rusty piece.

I bet you have replaced a lot of broken rear leafs and rear leaf shackles, too. The rear bumpers love to rot off as well but no one seems to care enough to replace them.

I have to say, 96-01 explorers do make really nice 8.8 donors for jeeps... even fun to pull. Jack it up, cut the driveshaft, cut the brake hose, cut the swaybar links, cut the ubolts diagonally* at the top of the arch with an angle grinder, cut the ebrake cables, sawzall the half of a remaining leaf shackle and the whole thing just drops down and slides out.

* e: if you cut them diagonally right at the top like that, they snap easier just before you cut through so you don't nick the axle tube, and they pop off with such a BANG that they fly out of the way and the whole leaf, ubolt plate, and shock absorber swing out of the way with zero sweat. Very convenient.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 20, 2016

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

BloodBag posted:

I both saw and heard a chrysler pacifica driving down Westheimer road in Houston doing about 40mph with one wheel cocked a good 20 inwards. It sounded like the worlds best sustained drift. It didn't look like she was in a hurry to get it fixed.

Pacificas have been added to my list of cars to keep a safe distance from. It has been a while since I have seen one that doesn't have a patina of bad decisions on the bodywork.

Since dealer fuckery has been brought up, Ford. All our work trucks are Super Dutys. a dozen or so trucks. There are 4 dealers within reach and none of them can deliver a truck when they say they will, if they say at all. Their quick lube is anything but. One truck had an A/C issue that they quoted $4k to fix, an independent shop replaced a fuse, no issues since. They left my turbo loose once, took about a week for it to make the unholy noise...

One hilarious instance was a coupon that Ford sent to the shop, $500 service, get $100 off. Picked up the truck, presented the coupon and somehow that coupon didn't apply because corporate account and they are already as low as they can go and I don't know what else. So i bitched about it on FB, a friend is dating the service manager... So he finds out about my complaining. The service writer calls the shop, complains about my FB post to the guy that gave me the coupon in the first place... Who heartily laughs at him. So that particular dealer lost a ton of business over $100.

I bought a new car in August, there are several Fords I like, the service made me look elsewhere. They did me a favor I think, I have a 16 WRX and couldn't be happier.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bogatyr posted:

Pacificas have been added to my list of cars to keep a safe distance from. It has been a while since I have seen one that doesn't have a patina of bad decisions on the bodywork.
I love this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bogatyr posted:

I bought a new car in August, there are several Fords I like, the service made me look elsewhere. They did me a favor I think, I have a 16 WRX and couldn't be happier.

GM has built a few cars over the past 10 years that I would have loved to recommend to people, but their dealerships are just the loving worst places in the world, and I have to add a huge BUT at the end of every recommendation.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Rolled in for no start, found this spliced into the pressurized fuel line. :stonklol:
Regulated pressure is ~50 psi

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

DefaultPeanut posted:

Rolled in for no start, found this spliced into the pressurized fuel line. :stonklol:

holy poo poo it looks like its about to burst!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

eberbs posted:

holy poo poo it looks like its about to burst!

I'm actually really surprised it didn't, these are rated for like 20psi absolute max iirc not 43.5 or 58

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Amazing.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
drat these new fangled cars and their not having a replaceable fuel filter. I'm just gonna add my own!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Joe Mama posted:

drat these new fangled cars and their not having a replaceable fuel filter. I'm just gonna add my own!

It's probably more like "$20 for a fuel filter? gently caress that, gimme the $4 one"

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Did they bypass the stock filter or was that installed for no reason.

Edit: is that next to the fuel pump?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
You could see it bulge when you cycled the key. It seems they cut the stock hard plastic line, cut back the protective outer skin, and used low pressure line and spring / Corbin clamps to hold the filter on. No flares or means of capturing the line where the soft line transitioned to the hard line. The funny part about this, the "shop foreman" (read: idiot) was chewing me out because I was not going to begin diag without a proper line that was not going to blow up in my face, showering me with 50 psi of fuel. Apparently I love stranding jobs for 'bullshit" reasons.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

DefaultPeanut posted:

i want to believe the housing of this is a condom with the end snipped off

i want to believe

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Powershift posted:

It's probably more like "$20 for a fuel filter? gently caress that, gimme the $4 one"

No, it really is "whaddaya mean the fuel filter isn't serviceable!?! The one on my 1980's poo poo box was serviceable so this should be too! You just need to look harder!" and its the same person who comes in and goes "Gimmie some fuel line" "Sure, what size and do you need it for a fuel injected system or a carbed system?" "It doesn't loving matter, its all the same poo poo. Fukken kids don't know poo poo about cars these days, I swear."

These are also the same turds that get angry that we don't already know all the small differences between their model year of car and the one above and below it. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're also really fun when one of the fittings is loose and just pops right the gently caress off, spraying gasoline across the hot, running engine. And the wall or whatever's in the next spot over.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

"Gimmie some fuel line" "Sure, what size and do you need it for a fuel injected system or a carbed system?"

And when I say it's for a carbed vehicle or a lawnmower or some poo poo then DON'T TRY TO loving PUSH THE ETHO-LINED BLUE/GREEN EXPENSIVE-AS-poo poo FUEL INJECTION LINE.

GODDAMMIT THAT poo poo WON'T EVEN MAKE THE BEND I NEED FROM THE PETCOCK TO THE CARB JUST GIVE ME SOME CHEAPASS FUEL LINE THAT ISN'T 1/2" THICK gently caress.

Then you say you don't have any so I go home and use more clear PVC hose for the next six months like I've done over and over and over because buying hose from a parts store is a goddamned pain in the dick and I keep forgetting to add it to my Amazon shopping cart.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

No, thats the point when I ask what size you need and you tell me you'll know if you see it so I show you all our fuel hose. Then I sell you what you ask for while warning you no returns and you're back 30 mintues later for the next size up or down, asking to return the other size. Jeez, get it right man. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Or it's a bunch of empty spools except for the one that's about half the diameter needed. :downs:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Has anybody here ever used aftermarket nylon fuel line?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

meatpotato posted:

Has anybody here ever used aftermarket nylon fuel line?

Yup. Dorman, with the press fit ends. Works like a charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We run the dorman repair kits out to shops somewhat frequently. Never heard anything but good stuff back about 'em.