Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
It took me like 30 S/Ls but I finally cleared it. I guess my karmic reward for Odin exclusively using his AoE attacks every single time was that when I got to Brynhildr I only had to S/L once because on the second attempt she exclusively used the single target single shot Pyroshot and didn't cast any other abilities the entire fight. Whatever, I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Adel posted:

Any word on who the new XIV character is gonna be? Alphinaud could technically be a scion so we might get him right :smith:

No word yet -- we'll find out for sure tomorrow night. The one thing we know is that the event is based around Titan and the accessory for beating the Ultimate fight is +15 Magic with moderate Earth resistance. Usually the Ultimate accessory is something which at least one new character in the event can get theoretical use out of, so there's a good chance we'll get a black mage of some sort. I don't know the Scions well enough to speculate on which. Of course, Y'shtola has Black 3 and will certainly be getting an MC2, and Thancred can use ninja scrolls and will also probably get an MC2, so who knows.

Actually it looks like Muketsu found the info somewhere. Yda and Papalymo.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 19, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

kalensc posted:

Obviously there's no definitive ranking of abilities from best to worst, but there's been a ton of 3* and 4* abilities over the last few months that I sort of shrugged my shoulders at and left un-honed. Pretty much anything Bard, Thief (except for Steal Power for Rubicante), Samurai, Knight (except for Draw Fire for the recent XIII Boss Rush), and so on are clouded in mystery a bit.

Does pksage (or someone off SA) still run an Excel that lists the multipliers and orb needs all on one tab for simpler comparison? docs.google is inaccessible right now so I can't confirm what the OP is hyperlinked to unfortunately. Thanks!

It's pksage's, and yeah, it's kept up to date even still. I don't know if it's the sheet in the OP, but the Quick Info sheet is right here.

Don't bother with the RW list in the OP, though, that hasn't been updated since the very first orbfest it looks like.

Zurai posted:

So in a game where characters don't matter past their kit, we've basically got Bootleg Prishe and Bootleg Shantotto. :effort:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It'd be interesting if it was Alphinaud, as he may use Tyro tomes as part of being a (bad) summoner.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Zurai posted:

As a person who both hoped for Holyfist AND has played a fair bit of XIV, this is more double infuriating than anything.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

So in a game where characters don't matter past their kit, we've basically got Bootleg Prishe and Bootleg Shantotto. :effort:

Yda is great. :colbert:

Papalymo's okay (probably the least interesting Scion that actually fights) and XIV needed a mage at some point anyway.

I'm hoping for Moenbryda at some point so she can fit into a dies during the story team with Josef and Aerith.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yda is great. :colbert:

Papalymo's okay (probably the least interesting Scion that actually fights) and XIV needed a mage at some point anyway.

I'm hoping for Moenbryda at some point so she can fit into a dies during the story team with Josef and Aerith.

Oh, I'm not arguing their worth as characters, but characters in FFRK are just painted-over stat sticks, so it kind of rings hollow there.

You forgot Galuf, Ricard, and Tellah.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

Oh, I'm not arguing their worth as characters, but characters in FFRK are just painted-over stat sticks, so it kind of rings hollow there.

You forgot Galuf, Ricard, and Tellah.

Not to mention Minwu, and Zack, and most of the 'villains', and Cait Sith. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

Not to mention Minwu, and Zack, and most of the 'villains', and Cait Sith. :v:

Of those, only the first one cacks it on-screen. And Cait Sith could be the v2.0 that just shows up after Aeris dies.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I had Firaja/Waterja on Vanille (who was hitting the damage cap easily thanks to Wyrmfang, even through Shell) and Blizzaga/Thundaga Strike on Lightning with the Goddess' Tribute gun from the New Year's Celebration. Between the two of them they could burst down the pauldrons fairly quickly, but I put Armor Break on Fang and Magic Break on Gilgamesh just to help out. Once the second phase hits you pop Retaliate and Advance immediately (if you've got the second pauldron to really low health you can even renew mitigaton/set up Retaliate right before the switch) and just switch entirely to healing and bouncing attacks off Gilgamesh (Fang can use Double Cut so make sure you do that) to avoid the Dispel counter. I was only doing 5k per hit because I don't have a good melee synergy weapon for XIII yet, but the attacks are so frequent and Bart himself doesn't have THAT much health in the second phase, you can still burst him down pretty quickly. Since you have a native wall I highly recommend bringing a medica RW of some kind, I have both Emerald Light and Oerba's Boon and they were both super helpful in this fight, especially since the free Protectga meant I didn't have to carry it on Eiko and could stick to Curaga/Shellga. Without the wall I needed a good amount of S/Ls when poo poo like Baptism in Ruin targeting one character multiple times in a cast happened, and I needed Death Claw to finish him off after I ran out of party heals, but with the +200% DEF/RES you should have more margin for error than I did.

Thanks! I think actually would consider bringing Vanille with Oerba's Boon if I were to do this battle again. Luckily I just mastered it!

What I learned (for an Advantaliate, buffs-focused team):

1) Seems like you either want Magic Breakdown for Phase 1 or a source of Haste. Magic Breakdown helps with the remaining adornment buffing itself and then hitting with an -ara spell, whereas Hastega will contribute to keeping him from getting too many of them out in the first place.

2) Steal Power on your Retaliator is REALLY helpful. It helps deal with the Protectga that the adornments will put up, and dps is really important at this point in the fight. It then helps with Bart in the second half and doesn't seem to trigger a counter.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yda coming is great news. Sorry all. :dance:

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Evil Fluffy posted:

Use Tyro and solo* master the boss rush like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeYRtpmxrak

Retaliate, Drain Strike, and all the atk you can muster. Though it'd work on Cloud too I guess.

* Lightning statue needed for medals.

So as a PSA I thought I'd mention that this works really loving well. You've gotta get lucky with the ATB gauges/Lightning petrifying herself and the bosses have to cooperate, but it's a pretty drat effective and kind of unlikely way to master this boss rush. Which is something I'm not sure I've actually done before. I used Cloud since w/ Organyx he's my best attacker. Just use whatever will get Cloud, Tyro, or Greg the highest attack possible and give them Retaliate, Drain Strike, and Loner. Bryn's Pyroblast and the odd firaga/blizzaga were the only things that really necessitated it, and I had extras of everything at the end which was kind of a surprise.

Wish the mastery reward on this was better, but at least now I've got a shot at Lightning's MC2. Comin' for you, Warmech.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So they decided to be nice and NOT make us wait for the event quests. Of course today and tomorrow are the two most important dailies so the event is still going to wait until Thursday for me.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

KnoxZone posted:

So they decided to be nice and NOT make us wait for the event quests. Of course today and tomorrow are the two most important dailies so the event is still going to wait until Thursday for me.

In an ideal world, events would start on Monday so bonus battles line up with Thursday.

I am starting to get sick of farming orbs though... I'm tempted to do the bonus battles for the greater growth eggs, but it seems like such a waste of stamina.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's slightly annoying that we have to do the battles in order, since it means Yuffie won't be able to equip Loner til you're nearly done with the Pagoda. Still, easy event and more Mythril for the pile.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Anybody got any good pulls? I did 100 gems and got nothing, but I'm considering a three-pull at least for the chance at some of the good stuff on this banner. Two rods, two thrown, a 5* dagger in general... though I already have pretty solid FF7 synergy, I feel like there's enough here that doesn't overlap with what I already have that it'd be worth it.

Kinda weird that the rod on this banner boosts Holy damage though. I mean, it's not a staff disguised as a rod at all (despite having staff in its name), so what gives?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Remember that Summoners can use rods and Alexander is a Holy summon. It's not a great intuitive combo, but we also have things like the Lightning Steel boosting Lightning damage despite Tidus having no access to abilities with that element.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Alxprit posted:

Anybody got any good pulls? I did 100 gems and got nothing, but I'm considering a three-pull at least for the chance at some of the good stuff on this banner. Two rods, two thrown, a 5* dagger in general... though I already have pretty solid FF7 synergy, I feel like there's enough here that doesn't overlap with what I already have that it'd be worth it.

Kinda weird that the rod on this banner boosts Holy damage though. I mean, it's not a staff disguised as a rod at all (despite having staff in its name), so what gives?

My 11 pull gave me the Al Bhed Jumper (X) and Defense Veil (X). I was suitably irritated at that kind of draw luck and ended up doing a 3 pull of desperation, which hardly ever work out.

Got a 4-Point Shuriken out of it, which is the precise thing I wanted. :toot:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'm convinced I will never get another 5* item again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got a platinum fist with my 100 gem so that's cool for red

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IcePhoenix posted:

I got a platinum fist with my 100 gem so that's cool for red

It's actually an extremely good item which makes Tifa fully worthy of a party slot. It's the second-highest party Attack buff in the game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It also has 120 atk which I think is the highest on a non-combined relic we've seen yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

^^^ Butterfly edge from ffix is 121 iirc ^^^

Zurai posted:

It's actually an extremely good item which makes Tifa fully worthy of a party slot. It's the second-highest party Attack buff in the game.

Yeah but Tifa's skill access makes it hard to bring her along instead of other characters.

I guess I could bring her instead of sephiroth since my best ffvii weapon for him is a 4* katana still.

e: sorry, it looks like I'm not happy that I got a 5*. I'm quite happy, just a little nonplussed that I do not see myself using it to its full potential.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 20, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Wish the mastery reward on this was better, but at least now I've got a shot at Lightning's MC2. Comin' for you, Warmech.

It's basically the same fight, but with a lot more Wave Cannon fuckery. And, of course, the two weaknesses.

Kinda odd the Warmech has an elite dungeon slot, but hey. I at least mastered it. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I got a 4* Crystal Bracer (VII) for my buck, which I can take to ++ now. So that's pretty neat I guess.

Social Psychology
Mar 25, 2015
Dollar pull got me Yoshiyuki, pretty okay with that.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I got my 5th FFVI Red Jacket. More items please.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Remember that Summoners can use rods and Alexander is a Holy summon. It's not a great intuitive combo, but we also have things like the Lightning Steel boosting Lightning damage despite Tidus having no access to abilities with that element.

Yeah, I got said rod with the 100 gem pull and it'll be nice for the hard fights since it'll let Rinoa just tear things up in FF7 dungeons, and make Alexander stronger in realms wherein I don't have enough weapon synergy for 3 mages to all use RS weapons.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I got a Storm Spear XII for my 100. :geno: Why do you have so many lovely 3* weapons, 12?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I wondered that too I have a poo poo ton of 3 star spears and staves or whatever from XII

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Of course you'll never pull a XII item from an XII banner.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

I wondered that too I have a poo poo ton of 3 star spears and staves or whatever from XII

It's because the 3 and 4* relic distribution is incredibly stupid. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/41lupi/list_of_3_and_4_equipment_in_relic_draw/

There's 1 FFIX item. The Gladius, that's it. There are no 3* items for FFs I, VIII, IX, X, XIII, or XIV. No XIV items at all for that matter. I think there's one 3* item for FFII, and two for FFVII. Etc. Basically, half of the relic pool is FFVI daggers, FFIV shields, and FFXII staffs. It's terrible.

Oh, and I hope people have a nice pile of 2* Power, NE, and Earth orbs! Looks like Ultimate Beatrix next event is a total nightmare, unless you cheese it and bring 5 characters with retaliate. Otherwise she spams an AoE physical that causes sap, and then uses a move a couple times that brings your whole team to 1 HP. She's almost all physical, but then she'll bust out with Holy (everyone's favorite move that can't be breakdown'd).

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 20, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Pulled for my 100 gems, got a piece of 3* trash I immediately sold off. It wasn't even FF7 equipment. When's the FFT banner? I'll probably throw 50 Mythril at that when it comes around.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

It's because the 3 and 4* relic distribution is incredibly stupid. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/41lupi/list_of_3_and_4_equipment_in_relic_draw/

There's 1 FFIX item. The Gladius, that's it. There are no 3* items for FFs I, VIII, IX, X, XIII, or XIV. No XIV items at all for that matter. I think there's one 3* item for FFII, and two for FFVII. Etc. Basically, half of the relic pool is FFVI daggers, FFIV shields, and FFXII staffs. It's terrible.

lol wow yeah they do need to shake up the relic distribution then. I did notice I have a ton of items, from those three games. I guess that means I can kind of feel free to just dump some of them from those games, and not worry too much about combining them all. I definitely noticed that I had zero weapon synergies from ff9. And now this makes it make sense.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kawalimus posted:

lol wow yeah they do need to shake up the relic distribution then. I did notice I have a ton of items, from those three games. I guess that means I can kind of feel free to just dump some of them from those games, and not worry too much about combining them all. I definitely noticed that I had zero weapon synergies from ff9. And now this makes it make sense.

Back when the Garnet event hit we got 2 Stardust Rods and 2 Mage Staffs, as well as 2 Silk Robes and 2 Magicians Robes.

Everything else since then has been Brigandine and 2* Mythril Daggers.

What's really more damning is that FF7 has fuckall for synergy gear in the non-5* gacha despite being the most frequent event synergy by far. You've got a few bangles and that's it. We had to wait until this event (assuming you did the Nibelheim event) to get a Diamond Knuckle ++, and we'll have to wait until Vincent's for a Quicksilver ++. At least Mythril Sabers were plentiful for a while...

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 20, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

WELL... uh. I guess the event quests got a bit easier.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Back when the Garnet event hit we got 2 Stardust Rods and 2 Mage Staffs, as well as 2 Silk Robes and 2 Magicians Robes.

Everything else since then has been Brigandine and 2* Mythril Daggers.

What's really more damning is that FF7 has fuckall for synergy gear in the non-5* gacha despite being the most frequent event synergy by far. You've got a few bangles and that's it. We had to wait until this event (assuming you did the Nibelheim event) to get a Diamond Knuckle ++, and we'll have to wait until Vincent's for a Quicksilver ++. At least Mythril Sabers were plentiful for a while...

There are some ff7 4* fists and katanas, but yeah, not super useful.

I'm still holding on to this single 3* Mythril Clip I got for Red XIII, though it's seeming increasingly unlikely I'll ever get two more from events, especially if we're getting his MC2 from this one.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

According to the announcement there are several quests to get FFVII characters, but I'm not seeing those. Are they not out yet? Or if they're the same quests as on a previous FFVII event, can I not do them twice?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Drink and Fight posted:

According to the announcement there are several quests to get FFVII characters, but I'm not seeing those. Are they not out yet? Or if they're the same quests as on a previous FFVII event, can I not do them twice?

They're the old Bonus Quests, you can't redo them. You wouldn't need to, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I know its FF7 and all but I didn't even realize the synergy I have for this realm, god drat.

That's not even counting Cloud. I might finally attempt to finish an entire event for once.

• Locked thread