Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

can YOU find all of New York city's secret subway bathrooms???? there are honestly smells in them I have never smelt before

every track at the end of the platform

do;ne where is my prize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Share Bear posted:

every track at the end of the platform

do;ne where is my prize

your prize can be collected at the end of the platform

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

the talent deficit posted:

i hate that loving noise so much. it's like they asked for the shrillest whine possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONL43eKi50

except that the MTA got extremely uppity when they suggested because why would they pay millions to change the beeps and it won't be ADA complaint?????

(ignoring the part where they have to replace readers soon anyways and guess what the transducers in them have haptic feedback)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's cool, James Murphy is back to making lcd albums

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

(ignoring the part where they have to replace readers soon anyways and guess what the transducers in them have haptic feedback)

they have absolutely no plan to replace the readers

they will not even be done planning before the readers run out of support contract. the mta is gonna be fabricating parts for 25+ year old metrocard reader designs abandoned by the vendor

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beeftweeter posted:

well poo poo. carting around some old koreans that barely speak english for 3 days will be great

unless it's possible for them to rent one? idk how that works for international people

i rented a renault twingo in france and drove it around and if that can happen, anything can

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the rumor I heard regarding the CTA (which used the same magstripe cards as the MTA) was that they picked some particular chip that was produced for the original GameBoy and that's what forced them to sunset them. they were cheap as dirt when they went in but they've been out of production for a while since the GameBoy is long dead.

CTAs differed from MTAs in that we had motorized readers that sucked the cards in and spit them out to read them instead of leaving it up to the users to swipe theirs at the appropriate speed, but as far as I know they were exactly the same

I have no idea if there's any truth to that but our magstripe cards are long dead.

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 20, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
bike infrastructure chat? heres a nice bike bridge getting built in south austin next to the highway

will have an overpass so you can basically bike alongside and over the highway into downtown from an area that used to be cut off because the highway was the only way over the greenbelt there.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

http://www.chicagonow.com/cta-tattler/2013/11/3-reasons-why-the-cta-is-switching-to-ventra-card-payment-system/

quote:

Outmoded current fare system: Continuing Chicago Card/Chicago Card Plus is not an option, according to the CTA. "The chip used in the Chicago Card is about 17 years old — well beyond the typical lifespan of this kind of chip," said a CTA spokesperson. "In fact, the main reason it was manufactured as long as it was is because it was fabricated using the same equipment producing the chips in the ‘90s video game Game Boy, which kept the technology alive long after its normal life span. Once Game Boy production ended (mid-2000s), CTA bought the remaining chips to use in Chicago Cards." No chip producer was going to produce the same chip (because of its outdated technology).

ok now I'm more confused than I was. the Chicago Card (Plus) was our previous contactless system, and I have no idea what could be in the card itself that was sourced from the game boy. I guess I could break into my CCP and find out (I kept it) but I'm not sure what I'd find. it was no thicker than a standard contactless credit card, which doesn't really line up with any late-80s tech, especially that which is contactless

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

the rumor I heard regarding the CTA (which used the same magstripe cards as the MTA) was that they picked some particular chip that was produced for the original GameBoy and that's what forced them to sunset them. they were cheap as dirt when they went in but they've been out of production for a while since the GameBoy is long dead.

uh the Z80? beacause they definitely still make those for all those overpriced graphing calculators TI has convinced every high school math department in america students need

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yeah if it was the z80 they had no excuse, those are cheap and common as dirt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is there something that prevents all these transit weenies from using the same chips/nfc stuff from credit cards?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

is there something that prevents all these transit weenies from using the same chips/nfc stuff from credit cards?

not really. the new Ventra system on the CTA does accept them. one of the recurring complaints after the switch was that the system would charge both their Ventra card and their contactless credit card.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

NIH syndrome. everyone's gotta roll their own, because they're all special flowers. or, more commonly because someone's friend runs a consulting company that can guarantee big savings! over licensing an existing platform

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i was thinking you'd limit it to payment with the transit cards only (or an nfc capable device like a phone). same spec, different payment system but using real credit cards actually makes a lot of sense cause you eliminate the need for tourists to get the separate cards/.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

NIH syndrome. everyone's gotta roll their own, because they're all special flowers. or, more commonly because someone's friend runs a consulting company that can guarantee big saving! over licensing an existing platform

sounds like these guys are ripe for disruption

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

sounds like these guys are ripe for disruption

yeah, sv is just dying to get into the lucrative pubtrans racket

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I guess the only redeeming quality with the Ventra shift is that the CTA told Cubic to pound sand regarding paying for the shift until they managed to get payment rates up to 95%. it took over six months.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

i like the way you think but i think the problem would be the payment would require authorization to know whether or not the card is valid/has funds and even with nfc cards that's not instantaneous

too much of a delay to just swipe 'n go through a turnstile gate

you could however just eat the 1% of cases someone's debit/credit card doesn't actually have the money and just charge them in the backend, that'd probably be worth it

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

do NFC credit/debit cards offer some kind of standard unique ID hashing function that would allow them to be linked into a system without having to process a credit card transaction on each swipe?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you could also bill them later since you have their card details. I bet it would explode card fraud tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sund posted:

do NFC credit/debit cards offer some kind of standard unique ID hashing function that would allow them to be linked into a system without having to process a credit card transaction on each swipe?

not in their current form i dont think

the standard is pretty drat simple

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wonder if maybe you could meet in the middle ground and require a first step to set it up that flags the card as active in the transit system and gives it like a payment processor auth token like u do w/ amazon so that going forward when you scan the card it just uses the existing auth token. it would mean you'd still have that first step that confuses the tourists but youd be able to do it online or through an app too.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would save on processing fees cause you'd let them go thru the system for a week and then add up all their charges and bill them all at once.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mishaq posted:

i like the way you think but i think the problem would be the payment would require authorization to know whether or not the card is valid/has funds and even with nfc cards that's not instantaneous

you could however just eat the 1% of cases someone's debit/credit card doesn't actually have the money and just charge them in the backend, that'd probably be worth it

every turnstile is replaced with a 100-meter hallway finished with white subway tile

on the way in, you swipe your credit card

if it hasn't been approved by the time you walk to the end of the tunnel, you are shot by automated gun turrets

regularly spaced drains will allow the blood to clear so other passengers are not affected except when walking around the body of an undesirable noncredithaver

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

mishaq posted:

it's public transit so it's gonna be a lot higher than 1%

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yeah i think the fraud potential would make it too difficult to do in its current form

anything that resolves the fraud problem delays the time between scanning the nfc chip and when the gates open

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

kwinkles posted:

every turnstile is replaced with a 100-meter hallway finished with white subway tile

on the way in, you swipe your credit card

if it hasn't been approved by the time you walk to the end of the tunnel, you are shot by automated gun turrets

regularly spaced drains will allow the blood to clear so other passengers are not affected except when walking around the body of an undesirable noncredithaver

:getin:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

or... check this out...

get rid of all the turnstiles, switch to proof of payment, and hire some more fare inspectors. folks can buy one-time tickets or passes from kiosks if they need them, everyone else has a pass that is literally a piece of plastic with a hologram or some poo poo

you just walk into the station, and get on the train. easy peasy lemon squeezy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

yeah i think the fraud potential would make it too difficult to do in its current form

anything that resolves the fraud problem delays the time between scanning the nfc chip and when the gates open

they could just do it like germany and have a line painted on the floor instead of a turnstile

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

they could just do it like germany and have a line painted on the floor instead of a turnstile

i didnt pay for a ticket a couple times on the berlin metro :ssh:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I wonder if maybe you could meet in the middle ground and require a first step to set it up that flags the card as active in the transit system and gives it like a payment processor auth token like u do w/ amazon so that going forward when you scan the card it just uses the existing auth token. it would mean you'd still have that first step that confuses the tourists but youd be able to do it online or through an app too.

I believe that was the goal with Ventra but they hosed it up

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

the NFC stuff in credit cards came to transit payments in loving nineteen ninety two. contactless payments are now 24 years old.

meanwhile, in america, the new york transit authority completed its transition to mag stripes in 2003, around the time most other systems were decomissioning their last magstripe units.

it's not that the technology has ever been lacking, it's that american transit authorities are always a day late and a dollar short. or, decades late and billions short, if we want to get realistic

p.s. philadelphia is still using tokens now, today, in 2015. it can always be worse.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 20, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TTC still has tokens and mag-stripe passes too. gently caress they still have paper tickets and weird instant-lotto style scratch off day passes

they're being phased out for a hacked together shambles of a contactless system, that'll be fully implemented next year. the only upside is the contactless system works region wide, so the commuter system and surrounding municipalities have it too

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

we can *finally* use the balance in our Ventra account to buy Metra tickets, that only took forever

I need to get my winter bike on the road and stop burning money on the CTA. the big problem is that I just moved farther away from work but on a different ‘L’ line, and it's actually faster for me to go catch the train than to bike downtown

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

kwinkles posted:

bike infrastructure chat? heres a nice bike bridge getting built in south austin next to the highway

that looks rad and I wish that I had more bike options that weren't 'here we put some paint on the ground'.

Austin Opinion: light rail service stops way too early (midnight?) on Friday/Saturday, when it really should be running until like 3 AM in an area with a big drunk driving problem.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I still have/use a translink card for my transit needs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. philadelphia is still using tokens now, today, in 2015. it can always be worse.

philly is great but i will fully admit that while septa has a handful of bus lines that are great for getting around, the septa token thing is a joke. they said in 2014 or 2015 that it was coming soon!! and i'm pretty sure that as of today it still hasn't arrived. i haven't used it since moving away though so i can't be sure.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

it's 2016!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

philly owns, why would you leave sulk

• Locked thread