Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

We're closing in on 300 sign ups for the Royal Rumble Roulette. Anyone happen to know what the most all time was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like someone must've let their manager or valet carry their belt/s to the ring.

When Edge won King of the Ring, he got this huge Stanley Cup-esque trophy, which Christian would carry for him. That was more about Christian being a glory-hog than a manager carrying the belts for the guy, though.

I always felt like MVP should've had an entourage for PPVs to carry out his titles and accolades for him. Even made up ones, because that was the kind of character MVP was.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Tyma posted:

My next question is "how the hell did you remember enough about this to search for it?"

It was in my favorites :v:

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Luke Harper carrying the title like a burlap sack or dragging it across the ground

I knew I remembered someone slinging it over their back, for some reason I thought it was the Rock until video evidence proved otherwise

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Ziegler had the butt belt didn't he?

I have no idea how I forgot this one

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Jay 2K Winger posted:

When Edge won King of the Ring, he got this huge Stanley Cup-esque trophy, which Christian would carry for him. That was more about Christian being a glory-hog than a manager carrying the belts for the guy, though.

Half Stanley Cup and half Grey Cup, the two pillars of Canadian sport! I wish that trophy had been permanent, it ruled

Bottom half:

Top half:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

soapgish posted:

Anyone mention DDP wearing it backward? Iirc he would come out with his back to the crowd and just not turn it around, take it off once in the ring.

He would also turn it around when he got on-camera.

gently caress, DDP ruled. Rules. Ruled and continues to rule.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Whichever Bella has the lady belt carries it with arms fully extended directly over her head at all times and it looks dumb.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

titties posted:

Whichever Bella has the lady belt carries it with arms fully extended directly over her head at all times and it looks dumb.

You can look but you can't touch. Because it's too high.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

titties posted:

Looks good, actually.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Never saw this myself, but one time when Big Show was holding the now defunct hardcore championship he apparently came out wearing the belt as a wristwatch.

The way that even today everyone declares they're going to win the Royal Rumble even though at least 26 of them doing so would likely make anyone laying bets rich makes me think: the Royal Rumble should be something that is bad to be eliminated from, and more wrestlers should have more negative reactions when their hopes and dreams fail. What are the best negative rumble reactions that didn't play into storylines, like Michaels losing the 2010 Rumble? Of course, you'll always have the opposite reactions, like one of the Bushwackers getting thrown out as soon as he got in and resuming doing the Bushwacker dance as he left like it wasn't no thing.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bret Hart became a whiny bitch and has kept the gimmick up for 19 years

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dr. rear end posted:

So here's something I was thinking about : What wrestlers, as champions, would carry/wear their belts in ways other than around their waists or on their shoulders? Or just in unconventional ways? Here's what I have, just from memory:

The Rock and Stone Cold dangling the belt by its strap
Umaga's mouth-belt
Johnny Nitro's dick-belt
Big Show and John Cena combining multiple belts and draping them over their necks
Samoa Joe wearing the X-Division title around his neck
RVD wearing the ECW and WWE belts at the same time
That one Ultimo Dragon picture

What else am I missing?

Akira Tozawa's chest armor.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cornwind Evil posted:

The way that even today everyone declares they're going to win the Royal Rumble even though at least 26 of them doing so would likely make anyone laying bets rich makes me think: the Royal Rumble should be something that is bad to be eliminated from, and more wrestlers should have more negative reactions when their hopes and dreams fail. What are the best negative rumble reactions that didn't play into storylines, like Michaels losing the 2010 Rumble? Of course, you'll always have the opposite reactions, like one of the Bushwackers getting thrown out as soon as he got in and resuming doing the Bushwacker dance as he left like it wasn't no thing.

In the 2008 Rumble, Undertaker threw our Snitsky. Michaels took advantage of the opening and threw out Undertaker, followed by Mr. Kennedy throwing out Michaels. Undertaker kind of snapped for a bit and even though Michaels was there, he took it out on Snitsky by legdropping him through a table.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

In the 2008 Rumble, Undertaker threw our Snitsky. Michaels took advantage of the opening and threw out Undertaker, followed by Mr. Kennedy throwing out Michaels. Undertaker kind of snapped for a bit and even though Michaels was there, he took it out on Snitsky by legdropping him through a table.

But it wasn't his fault

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rick Steiner would wear his belt backwards, and other times, carry it in his mouth.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Gavok posted:

A time when someone did get mad at Michaels was the 1996 Rumble. Vader and Yokozuna were grappling by the ropes, and HBK managed to dump them both at the same time. Vader got pissed, and came back in and beat Michaels up.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gavok posted:

It fell upon us to defend Snitsky, our Snitsky. And we failed him.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

NickRoweFillea posted:

This is so sick. Who can name all the belts? No cheating!

IWGP Tag, PWF World Tag, PWF Asia Tag, Triple Crown (NWA UN Heavy, PWF Heavy, NWA International Heavy). The pic was taken in mid-2001 when Mutoh was doing his CROSS WIZARDS/BATT run, shuttling between NJPW and AJPW

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ayn rand hand job posted:

But it wasn't his fault

Well done.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I've seen a gif of a Jushin Thunder Liger entrance while he was holding like five belts. He had valets walk out before him carrying the belts, one in each hand. It was awesome.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So how and when did Triple H get the "rear end Kicker" nickname?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

When he told Michael Cole to start calling him that in his headset.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The only people who call Triple H "the rear end Kicker" are Triple H and Max Landis.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

And even Landis was kinda sending up Haitch's overblown self importance

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CobiWann posted:

So how and when did Triple H get the "rear end Kicker" nickname?

HHH came out and said "Some people call me the rear end Kicker" and then Michael Cole repeated it as if it was fact.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Electric Lady posted:

The only people who call Triple H "the rear end Kicker" are Triple H and Max Landis.

Everyone watching Tuesday Nitro does.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I have multiple dumb wrestling questions:

1. I've been watching Botchamania a lot because it's easy to throw on while I do the dishes or similar. It has that recurring thing where it highlights places where WWE's mics pick up wrestlers calling things in the ring (e.g. during the extremely awful Elimination Chamber IC championship from 2015 when everything went wrong). I've noticed that Dolph Ziggler especially shows up a lot; is that because he just tends to be louder than other people in the ring, or are verbal calls rare in matches?

2. Outside of the Great Kabuki, has there ever been a wrestler who wore kabuki makeup to the ring? Seems like it'd be a perfect fit for wrestling, what with the exaggerated expressions.

3. Is there a good wrestling history podcast? I know there's all the interview ones like Art of Wrestling and week-on-week discussions like all the F4W/Observer stuff, as well as stuff that does week-by-week discussions of WCW or what have you, but I'm a little surprised that there's not one that takes a more feud-based approach, like "okay this week let's talk about Sting vs. the NWO."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Early Great Muta facepaint is supposed to evoke kabuki, but since he was the guy's kayfabe son that may not surprise

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Valentin posted:

1. I've been watching Botchamania a lot because it's easy to throw on while I do the dishes or similar. It has that recurring thing where it highlights places where WWE's mics pick up wrestlers calling things in the ring (e.g. during the extremely awful Elimination Chamber IC championship from 2015 when everything went wrong). I've noticed that Dolph Ziggler especially shows up a lot; is that because he just tends to be louder than other people in the ring, or are verbal calls rare in matches?

verbal calls p much are exactly how this stuff goes, just some people are louder than others and sometimes ring mics are at varying levels (most Bray Wyatt matches, for instance, have much louder mics because he talks a lot in the ring). Cena, Ziggler, and Paige tend to be pretty loud

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Ziggler deserves a loving Slammy for saving that match from a minus five stars to the eventual rating of ★★½ (which is ★½ more than the Divas match got).

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Valentin posted:

3. Is there a good wrestling history podcast? I know there's all the interview ones like Art of Wrestling and week-on-week discussions like all the F4W/Observer stuff, as well as stuff that does week-by-week discussions of WCW or what have you, but I'm a little surprised that there's not one that takes a more feud-based approach, like "okay this week let's talk about Sting vs. the NWO."

dragon king karl on observer.com is what you want

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Valentin posted:

Dragon King Karl Stern on F4W has been doing a bunch of biography casts recently, mostly of old territory guys like Bruiser Brody.

OSW follows the storylines while going PPV by PPV, but they're pretty divisive. They're pretty in-jokey, very Irish, and not terribly politically correct.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Valentin posted:

2. Outside of the Great Kabuki, has there ever been a wrestler who wore kabuki makeup to the ring? Seems like it'd be a perfect fit for wrestling, what with the exaggerated expressions.
Idunno what's technically correct kabuki makeup and what isn't, but also Kendo Nagasaki (the Japanese one).

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

HHH came out and said "Some people call me the rear end Kicker" and then Michael Cole repeated it as if it was fact.

In a back stage interview on some random ~2000 PPV I will never forget Triple H saying "I call myself the GameeverybodycallsmetheGame"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dr. rear end posted:

verbal calls p much are exactly how this stuff goes, just some people are louder than others and sometimes ring mics are at varying levels (most Bray Wyatt matches, for instance, have much louder mics because he talks a lot in the ring). Cena, Ziggler, and Paige tend to be pretty loud

The loudest was easily Foley, in between all of the grunting and other noises he made.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Some people call him Maurice.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If Ric Flair had left the NWA in '88 with Arn and Tully, would that have sunk the promotion? Seems like Turner wanted to build around Flair.

Also, how awesome would it have been to have Flair/Savage at Wrestlemania 5? With the Horsemen at this side even.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Asuka wears a kabuki mask to the ring if you want to count that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Benne posted:

Asuka wears a kabuki mask to the ring if you want to count that

It's a noh mask

There are no women in traditional kabuki, and if there are, they wear face paint