Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The wife and I watched The Overnight (US Netflix) last night.

It's basically "Eyes Wide Shut as directed by Wes Anderson" and I mean that in the best possible way. It takes awkward comedy to a brilliant level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well, I haven't seen the documentary but like, A. this seems like very much a different people react differently type of situation and I don't think it's necessarily fair to judge other people's sense of stability based on a single experience. Especially since from whst I've read the documentary primarily focuses on seeing these people's subjective experiences. Although, again, I haven't seen it so maybe I'm wrong

And

B. As someone who gets sleep paralysis semi-often (although, not as often as I used to ), the knowledge of what you're experiencing never helped me that much. I mean, it's like - something in your brain I dunno but either way there is (for me anyways) always just this complete panic/fear no matter how I look at it. Like, I'm usually able to catch what's happening pretty quickly now but it just gives me different things to worry about, "How long will this last it feels like forever dreams can feel so long I have no control anything could happen and it'll feel real even though I know I'm dreaming I just want to stop this" and y'know, so on.

Sorry, didn't mean to overgeneralize. It certainly was an unpleasant experience and the feeling of panic I experienced was quite overwhelming, I guess what I was trying to say was that at least for me, the knowledge of what it was and that it wasn't forever was enough to calm me down enough to try to break out of it.

I suggest you try out the documentary, it really does address the fact that it is a very subjective experience that differs from one case to the next, although it does seem to only address worst-case-scenarios. Just a warning though, if you're someone who does experience sleep paralysis often it might provide some nightmare-fuel.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've watched three episodes of the shield now. It's pure goon LA cops fuckery. Them holding that basketball player against his will just to try to win some betting money was hilarious.

The Shield proved that Kurt Sutter can actually loving write as long as some one can keep him under control. Also the Vic/Shane dynamic is incredible.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Netflix US just recently added Friday Night Tykes, which is a documentary show about a full-contact football league for 8/9-year-olds in San Antonio. When the first season was airing, Esquire Network (which is apparently a thing?) streamed the episodes for free with a cable login, but took them down right when it ended, and weren't available anywhere, so I've been trying to show this to people for a while now to no avail. My best friend and I watched the whole first season together and it's truly amazing television. Some of those coaches are absolutely unbelievable characters. It's got an eye for class conflict not dissimilar to Hoop Dreams or the 30 for 30 doc The U, combined with that same uncomfortable gut reaction you get from watching beauty pageant parents, except instead of moms desperately clinging onto their dreams of stardom and idolatry through their terrified daughters, it's ex-military, totally impotent, borderline-abusive suburbanite dads using football to teach Important Lessons to their terrified sons. I can't vouch for the second season, but I'm absolutely going to watch it when I get the chance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love some good cringe documentary, which reminds me that I recently watched Kidnapped For Christ on Amazon Prime. More recent and in many ways even more scary than Jesus Camp (which is on US Netflix). And the kicker is that Kidnapped For Christ was actually made by a woman who is a very devout Christian and so you know it's good when even she is going "these people are absolutely loving mental".

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh my god that white Christmas episode of Black Mirror. Just oh my god.

It's one of the cruelest things I've seen in any movie or TV show. My brain's still coming to terms like it did the first week after reading the synopsis for Human Centipede.

Not really a spoiler but if you haven't seen it go in blind.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

It's one of the cruelest things I've seen in any movie or TV show. My brain's still coming to terms like it did the first week after reading the synopsis for Human Centipede.

Not really a spoiler but if you haven't seen it go in blind.

Finally remembered to watch this. So good. And you're not kidding.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I think white bear comes pretty close to the christmas episode, man that whole thing is hosed up

black mirror is so incredibly good

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

dreadnought posted:

Netflix US just recently added Friday Night Tykes, which is a documentary show about a full-contact football league for 8/9-year-olds in San Antonio. When the first season was airing, Esquire Network (which is apparently a thing?) streamed the episodes for free with a cable login, but took them down right when it ended, and weren't available anywhere, so I've been trying to show this to people for a while now to no avail. My best friend and I watched the whole first season together and it's truly amazing television. Some of those coaches are absolutely unbelievable characters. It's got an eye for class conflict not dissimilar to Hoop Dreams or the 30 for 30 doc The U, combined with that same uncomfortable gut reaction you get from watching beauty pageant parents, except instead of moms desperately clinging onto their dreams of stardom and idolatry through their terrified daughters, it's ex-military, totally impotent, borderline-abusive suburbanite dads using football to teach Important Lessons to their terrified sons. I can't vouch for the second season, but I'm absolutely going to watch it when I get the chance.

Season three just started airing yesterday too. Here in Canada we get it on Netflix the same night it airs on Esquire. That means since Saturday I have watched around 25 episodes of this weirdly entertaining show.

In case you are wondering, subsequent seasons follow the coaches more than the players. Apparently the coaches will move up with the players as they age, so you get some of the same kids sticking around. Into just the first episode of the third season there is only one kid from the first year that I remember. That is sorta spoilery but at the same time I'm comfortable with not tagging it since it is no secret that kids come and go from youth sport.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

About black mirror:

what's the worst is when he was blocked to everyone. He literally cannot buy, call, interact with any human ever again. He's basically in solitary confinement for the rest of his life. I honestly couldn't decide which person got the worse punishment (I guess being locked in the room where you murdered somebody and left for mental rot is pretty harsh too).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Shield proved that Kurt Sutter can actually loving write as long as some one can keep him under control. Also the Vic/Shane dynamic is incredible.

I was about to say that everyone keeps talking about how great Vic is (and rightfully so), but The Shield brought us Walton Goggins, and he is just loving awesome.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Parachute posted:

I was about to say that everyone keeps talking about how great Vic is (and rightfully so), but The Shield brought us Walton Goggins, and he is just loving awesome.

:agreed: I'm very happy that he didn't die in the first episode of Justified.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Parachute posted:

I'm pretty sure the only reason he got into Hateful 8 was that Tarantino watched him in the shield.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

coyo7e posted:

I'm pretty sure the only reason he got into Hateful 8 was that Tarantino watched him in the shield.

Goggins was in Django, too, his star's been on the rise for a while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm sure Tarantino REALLY got into Goggins from his Sons of Anarchy role.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

The wife and I watched The Overnight (US Netflix) last night.

It's basically "Eyes Wide Shut as directed by Wes Anderson" and I mean that in the best possible way. It takes awkward comedy to a brilliant level.

Thanks for the recommendation. My fiance and I really enjoyed it. It's a fascinating movie. And quite funny. Produced by the Duplass Brothers too, who are really on a role.

The Worst Geisha
Jan 19, 2016
I just watched When Animals Dream, which the most somber quiet werewolf movie I've ever seen. It was perfect for the dreary winter hellscape outside. But it is so quiet and slow that I'd make sure you have a cup of coffee handy.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I just remembered that We Need To Talk About Kevin was released on Netflix on the first of the year. It was probably already mentioned earlier, but I finally got around to watching it today. drat...if you haven't seen it and want to watch a movie about as dark as a cup of french roast, go watch it.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

I just remembered that We Need To Talk About Kevin was released on Netflix on the first of the year. It was probably already mentioned earlier, but I finally got around to watching it today. drat...if you haven't seen it and want to watch a movie about as dark as a cup of french roast, go watch it.

Nice! Thanks for this.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Wentworth season 3 snuck up at some point. Discovered that a few days ago and couldn't help myself. It's been one of my favorite shows ever on Netflix. If you want some super dark woman prison drama and not that OitNB crap, check it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wentworth is super goofy and silly and hard to take seriously but I love it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

InterrupterJones posted:

Is.... is French Roast dark? Not sure how coffee-darkness works.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

InterrupterJones posted:

The movie is excellent: soundtrack and casting are both perfect. The book almost put me in crisis -- it's devastating. (Go read it.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is.... is French Roast dark? Not sure how coffee-darkness works.
Darker roast has less caffeine due to the heat breaking down the caffeine oils or whatnot. It also has a more bitter flavor.

I personally feel that the drying methods are more important than the roast - african blends tend to have the flavor of the dirt they were left to dry on, for example.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

coyo7e posted:

Darker roast has less caffeine due to the heat breaking down the caffeine oils or whatnot. It also has a more bitter flavor.

I personally feel that the drying methods are more important than the roast - african blends tend to have the flavor of the dirt they were left to dry on, for example.

What he means to say is, "Yes, French Roast is dark."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Justified, actually, there's an interview where Tarantino talks about it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Cutthroat Kitchen is the most batshit insane competition show outside of Japan. The people are these ridiculous characters and the challenges are just loving cruel sometimes, it's amazing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think that Food Network has a cooking competition for every type of cook now. If you're a world class chef: Iron Chef. If you're talented but have a tragic story and are full of yourself: chopped. If you're just full of yourself: cutthroat kitchen. If your kind of average but sort of nice: guy's grocery games. If you can't cook at all: worst cooks in America.

Man food shows are sort of in a dire place right now...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
A guy who unironically calls himself a "Cheftender."

God bless this show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best one was DJ Chef.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Cutthroat Kitchen is the best because, unlike say Chopped, no one save perhaps the contestants have any pretension that this is an accurate view of culinary talent. Instead you just engage in the schadenfreude of man's contest based inhumanity to man.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

Cutthroat Kitchen is the best because, unlike say Chopped, no one save perhaps the contestants have any pretension that this is an accurate view of culinary talent. Instead you just engage in the schadenfreude of man's contest based inhumanity to man.

Yes, the formula being part cooking show, part game show and part "trickiest rear end in a top hat" competition really creates something magically twisted. It's essentially to normal cooking shows what Death Race is to normal lap racing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

Yes, the formula being part cooking show, part game show and part "trickiest rear end in a top hat" competition really creates something magically twisted. It's essentially to normal cooking shows what Death Race is to normal lap racing.

I wish there was a Death Race show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Edge of Tomorrow actually was really, really drat good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

NESguerilla posted:

The best one was DJ Chef.

He creates the eats while he spins the beats. And he won, what, 2k? Nice job, doofus.

Cutthroat Kitchen is unironically one of the best game shows ever made since it successfully combines a talent + psychological + social component into one horrific contest.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

yeah i was kinda surprised too.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

precision posted:

Is this on Netflix? I've been meaning to catch this for a couple years now and never got around to it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Is this on Netflix? I've been meaning to catch this for a couple years now and never got around to it.

It was on HBO GO last I looked.

Edit: looks like its cycled out. Not even available for rental on the major sites.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

morestuff posted:

It was on HBO GO last I looked.

My :siren:GF:siren: has this so I'll make her watch it with me.

Edit
ah hell

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

My :siren:GF:siren: has this so I'll make her watch it with me.

See above, sorry to get your hopes up.