Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
is toronto even a good place for a "fusion" food stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Hell I gave Lowtax at least 10 bux, I gave you 10 bux too.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Toronto is a bad place for anything, unless you want smog

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It's a good smog zone

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Merdifex posted:

i live near a good place wher they fuse half-eaten or rotting mexican food w the dumpster out back and it's k

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Merdifex posted:

someone made a fusion sandwich/wilco place
its really good

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda hate you based on your posting alone op, that said good thing I'm way the gently caress away in Florida

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Few things:

Ive done a small amount of front of house, and she's done a fair bit of catering in addition to the stuff we've already done as a business.

And yes, we plan to work twelve hours a day six days a week in a small hot space. It's less time than we put in for several events this summer, but you're right that sustaining it will be a different set of challenges.

We would love to have had 100,000 dollars in the bank to make sure to start our food court takeout counter without risk, as you suggested would be the bare minimum to start a fairly simple business. But unfortunately were just going to have to risk it and hope for the best, it's worked so far.

We would love to hire another cook to help us extend our hours and give us some time to breathe. It's one of the things that can then happen if we get funded and can buy equipment immediately instead of having to pay it off.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Dr. Tommy John posted:

We would love to have had 100,000 dollars in the bank to make sure to start our food court takeout counter without risk
ucan do this, u just wont because that would take time and effort saving money and repairing credit and getting other experience and u want the payoff of seeing your dream realized now right now instead of doing it the way that successful and mature people do it, which requires time and effort doing things that isnt ur dream

Dr. Tommy John posted:

But unfortunately were just going to have to risk it and hope for the best
u dont have a business plan as much as a set of rationalizations as to why the yawning chasm between what u can do and what u want to do doesnt matter

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'll fund your entire thing if you let me come impregnate your fiancé. This is a legit offer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I am truly sorry that you're both so certain that we'll fail and apparently so angry about it. We do, in fact, have a business plan that seemed to do fine when reviewed by some non morons, but you do seem to know what you're frothing at the maw about.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Enfield posted:

what the gently caress IS YOUR DEAL rear end in a top hat

just digging that new av

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im sorry but you are incredibly stupid
e: youre just so goddamn stupid. i could write pages about how stupid this is but i ran out of smokes and all my blood vessels would explode simultaneously if i did this so ill just say good luck and god bless

Enfield fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 20, 2016

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. :colbert:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

hi i'm a non moron and i am excited to eat ur chinese hotdogs

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
I'm poor so I won't give you money unless I get food in exchange, so I'll try to swing by next time I'm in the area because fried food tastes good from all cultures, and that is really what will bring us together by 2020.

if I make you a card will you hang it on your wall?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I am truly sorry that you're both so certain that we'll fail and apparently so angry about it. We do, in fact, have a business plan that seemed to do fine when reviewed by some non morons, but you do seem to know what you're frothing at the maw about.

Im not mad at you. I"m just fearful for your business.

The last thing we want is you guys plum giving up and a funeral home taking over.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regrettable posted:

just digging that new av

thanks it was a gift from a mysterious and probably sexy benefactor

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Dr. Tommy John posted:

ur going to fail because you dont think ur going to fail and take it as a personal offense when people point out ridiculously obvious reasons why ur overwhelmingly likely to fail, and its a pretty bad sign when ur ego not only outstrips ur competence but then drives donuts around ur capacity to accept anything but positive feedback

every failed restaurant had a business plan reviewed by 'non morons' and were approved for loans and still went tits up. ull just be another in the line because uve already decided this is what ur going to do (if strangers on a web forum would just kindly help u with what the non morons at the bank wouldnt touch with a tinikling pole)

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

whoflungpoop posted:

ur going to fail because you dont think ur going to fail and take it as a personal offense when people point out ridiculously obvious reasons why ur overwhelmingly likely to fail, and its a pretty bad sign when ur ego not only outstrips ur competence but then drives donuts around ur capacity to accept anything but positive feedback

every failed restaurant had a business plan reviewed by 'non morons' and were approved for loans and still went tits up. ull just be another in the line because uve already decided this is what ur going to do (if strangers on a web forum would just kindly help u with what the non morons at the bank wouldnt touch with a tinikling pole)

To be fair and you can quote me on this in the future:
If I was going to do something that required money I'd go through kickstart first because you don't have to pay the people back. And its always easier to do something with someone else's money :sun:

So if I ever kickstart something remember im going to you first before the bank.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Few things:

Ive done a small amount of front of house, and she's done a fair bit of catering in addition to the stuff we've already done as a business.

And yes, we plan to work twelve hours a day six days a week in a small hot space. It's less time than we put in for several events this summer, but you're right that sustaining it will be a different set of challenges.

We would love to have had 100,000 dollars in the bank to make sure to start our food court takeout counter without risk, as you suggested would be the bare minimum to start a fairly simple business. But unfortunately were just going to have to risk it and hope for the best, it's worked so far.

We would love to hire another cook to help us extend our hours and give us some time to breathe. It's one of the things that can then happen if we get funded and can buy equipment immediately instead of having to pay it off.

This looks like a really bustling market! Build and invest now!!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Regrettable posted:

just digging that new av

true

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
How do you intend to bring customers in too? Whats your advertising campaign plan for the first three months?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tommy John posted:

If you let me froth a load of hot cum into your fiancée 's ovulating vagina I will 100% fund your Kickstarter.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Microwaves Mom posted:

And its always easier to do something with someone else's money :sun:

Sure, but you can also get a much bigger bank commerical loan and declare bankrupcy like God and Adam Smith intended.

Oh no, the assets of Balut Jerkin' LLC are going to be seized! They consist of two deep fryers, a vent hood, and some bitchin' truck rimzz.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Microwaves Mom posted:

To be fair and you can quote me on this in the future:
If I was going to do something that required money I'd go through kickstart first because you don't have to pay the people back. And its always easier to do something with someone else's money :sun:

So if I ever kickstart something remember im going to you first before the bank.

its so loving lol that sites like that even allow for-profit beggars, they should replace that with mob-funded microloans where there's a strong expectation of repayment in currency or in pics of broken kneecaps

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

You've been here since 2004. I know "rules" aren't "cool" but pretty sure it's one of the rules not to hawk things in GBS without approval. And I know this is an unfunny post.
But...if you can't follow rules that exist here, where there isn't the threat of going into bankruptcy...do you see what I'm getting at? I mean, good luck and I guess no such thing as bad press. I don't know. Good luck following health codes and paying your taxes or whatever goes into what you're trying to do.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I.C. posted:

You've been here since 2004. I know "rules" aren't "cool" but pretty sure it's one of the rules not to hawk things in GBS without approval. And I know this is an unfunny post.
But...if you can't follow rules that exist here, where there isn't the threat of going into bankruptcy...do you see what I'm getting at? I mean, good luck and I guess no such thing as bad press. I don't know. Good luck following health codes and paying your taxes or whatever goes into what you're trying to do.

how do u know mabout the permission?? (u dont.)

my thoughts (in my head) when i read this thread: rude RUDE RUDE

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

- not much actually, this dude is WAY more organized and together than I gave him credit for

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Okay, I can admit that this is a risky endeavor, one that is in no way guaranteed to succeed. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought that, or the idea that I think this is the ideal process, or the idea that it's impossible we've considered these things because I was snarky toward a thread of snarky repartee and/or calling my fiancée a transvestite.

The fact is, you are right about all of this. The odds are against us and we know it. We'd rather have taken more time, built up more capital and experience and opened with a larger staff and fuller operation. But the fact is also that we were offered a pretty grear opportunity, were keeping overhead costs in a place that was cheaper than our booth model, and we were successful enough in that model so far to have convinced ourselves we have a shot.

I don't want to sound ungrateful or dismissive of concern of advice, but I will ask you this. If you had a promising business and a good opportunity that was going to provide even an outside shot at doing what you love every day a couple years ahead of schedule, would you take a shot?

And furthermore, if you decided to take that shot, and were faced with either borrowing more or running a crowd funding campaign, would you not see any value in the fact that failing a kickstarter still builds publicity that succeeding at a bank does not? Why have so many of you immediately assumed that we couldn't borrow this money, or that anyone runs a kickstarter aiming to target mostly internet strangers?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
why did you close the thread yesterday op?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Okay, I can admit that this is a risky endeavor, one that is in no way guaranteed to succeed. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought that, or the idea that I think this is the ideal process, or the idea that it's impossible we've considered these things because I was snarky toward a thread of snarky repartee and/or calling my fiancée a transvestite.

The fact is, you are right about all of this. The odds are against us and we know it. We'd rather have taken more time, built up more capital and experience and opened with a larger staff and fuller operation. But the fact is also that we were offered a pretty grear opportunity, were keeping overhead costs in a place that was cheaper than our booth model, and we were successful enough in that model so far to have convinced ourselves we have a shot.

I don't want to sound ungrateful or dismissive of concern of advice, but I will ask you this. If you had a promising business and a good opportunity that was going to provide even an outside shot at doing what you love every day a couple years ahead of schedule, would you take a shot?

And furthermore, if you decided to take that shot, and were faced with either borrowing more or running a crowd funding campaign, would you not see any value in the fact that failing a kickstarter still builds publicity that succeeding at a bank does not? Why have so many of you immediately assumed that we couldn't borrow this money, or that anyone runs a kickstarter aiming to target mostly internet strangers?

You can have a 100% funded Kickstarter if I can breed your fiancé with my fertile load. I'll double up the funding if you watch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

It was devolving into irrelevance even more quickly than this evening?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I wouldn't take a "good chance" at completely ruining my life and relationship, just so I could skip the step where I saved up money. Maybe that is why I'm living a satisfactory existence, free of begging for money.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

What information have I given that leads you to these certainties?

What about the fact that we already work together in small spaces for more than 12 hours a day?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

I.C. posted:

You're one cool cat I.C.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

what if carribean and mexican or w/e peole hate each other? where's the market then

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Dr. Tommy John posted:

It was devolving into irrelevance even more quickly than this evening?

can't believe my begging thread in GBS has Devolved into Irrelevance, this is so hosed

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Tommy John posted:

What information have I given that leads you to these certainties?

What about the fact that we already work together in small spaces for more than 12 hours a day?

The fact that you're turning your personal relationship into both a personal and professional relationship and don't understand the implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

You only know one of those things though.

• Locked thread