Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Unlocked Hard Mode today. Funnily, it was the run I set up unlocking frog. Y.V. Popping a heavy assault is pretty good. That made me think, with the ultra perk that gives you a free pop and recycle gland, can you gain more ammo than lose?

Didnt last very long in Loop 2 but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Huzzah! posted:

Unlocked Hard Mode today. Funnily, it was the run I set up unlocking frog. Y.V. Popping a heavy assault is pretty good. That made me think, with the ultra perk that gives you a free pop and recycle gland, can you gain more ammo than lose?
I'm not sure how effective this is, so let's do some math quick. Heavy assault uses 6 ammo per shot, recycle gland recovers bullets 60% of the time on hit, and will recover 2 bullets instead of 1 with heavy bullets. Throne butt doubles your right click, and then ultra b increases it by 50% without ammo cost. I'll just do each possible variant because I'm curious.

Without throne butt or ultra b, you'll use 12 ammo and recover an average of 7.2 bullets per pop, so you lose 4.8 bullets on average.
With throne butt but without ultra b, you'll use 24 ammo and recover an average of 14.4 bullets per pop, so you lose 9.6 bullets on average(of course, it's just doubled).
Without throne butt but with ultra b, you'll use 12 ammo and recover an average of 10.8 bullets per pop, so you lose 1.2 bullets on average. If you get real lucky and every hit procs gland, you could gain 6 ammo.
With both throne butt and ultra b, you'll use 24 ammo and recover an average of 21.6 bullets per pop, so you lose 2.4 bullets on average. If you get real lucky and every hit procs gland, you could gain 36 ammo.

In actual practice not all of your shots will hit so these numbers are pretty optimistic

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I've been playing for a few hours now, and can reasonably get to 5-1 half the time. But I still feel like I've been making a lot of mistakes in my mutation selection and generally not getting shot.
* I've managed to get to 7-3 once with Crystal. Is he a better choice for beginners than Robot?
* With Robot, what mutations should I be picking? Stuff that synergizes with eating weapons (Throne Butt, Open Mind)?
* Any tips for Lil' Hunter? For me, he is not the problem (he's actually pretty squishy), but everyone else (including his summoned IDPD) shooting me is.
* What weapons should I eat/not eat as Robot? Anything super important to hold onto?
* What's a good way to not get shot? Kill everything else first? Play peek-a-boo? Take Hammerhead and make cubbyholes?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Roluth posted:

I've been playing for a few hours now, and can reasonably get to 5-1 half the time. But I still feel like I've been making a lot of mistakes in my mutation selection and generally not getting shot.
* I've managed to get to 7-3 once with Crystal. Is he a better choice for beginners than Robot?
* With Robot, what mutations should I be picking? Stuff that synergizes with eating weapons (Throne Butt, Open Mind)?
* Any tips for Lil' Hunter? For me, he is not the problem (he's actually pretty squishy), but everyone else (including his summoned IDPD) shooting me is.
* What weapons should I eat/not eat as Robot? Anything super important to hold onto?
* What's a good way to not get shot? Kill everything else first? Play peek-a-boo? Take Hammerhead and make cubbyholes?
  • The character balance in this game isn't perfect, but it's pretty good, especially if you're not looping, play with who you like. That said, Crystal and Robot are both excellent choices for beginners, and imo they come out about even for new players.
  • Second stomach (eating can heal for +4) and throne but are both really good for robot in particular. The nuclear throne wiki has a section on suggested mutations for characters as well.
  • I like to focus on making sure one area of the arena is clear, and then try to keep my back to that. Can't say that always works though.
  • You don't get any benefit from leaving guns behind, so keep the 2 you like the most and eat the rest.
  • Make the game play at your pace. Don't make engagements that aren't safe. Hammerhead is useful for this, but not always necessary pre-loop.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I loving love that that wiki has screenshake.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Roluth posted:

The deep secret of not getting shot is that dead things can't shoot you. I know when I was new I would carefully pick my shots and conserve ammo, but ironically it's often safer to go full :black101: and drown everyone in bullets the second you become aware of their presence. There are a couple of cases where you need to worry about ammo (e.g. "super" weapons, 3x/4x machine guns) but when in doubt lean heavily towards "excessive."

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I loving love that that wiki has screenshake.

Press B

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think you mean "hold it down"

Barrington
Oct 5, 2010

Mo' shekels

Roluth posted:

You will notice that when Lil Hunter is phoning in backup he will he unable to move or shoot for those couple seconds. I like to hide round a corner, wait for him to call for backup, then jump in to get as many shots in as I can. I think he moves/shoots again as soon as the police warp in. Keep the distance from him to within about half a screens width, or he starts doing that rapid fire bullshit.

I think Crystal is great for beginners, with a caveat; if you don't have to dodge you will never get good at it, and it might make you suck more with other characters. However, having rhino skin + ultra A as crystal gives you soo much headroom for taking dumb damage that it can get you pretty far.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Low level IDPD can't hit you if you strafe them, which makes dealing with them trivial. Once you've got that down, lil hunter might as well be idling when he's calling for help, giving you time to shoot him or clear out an area if you don't have a big enough space to fight him in.

If you're Crystal you can just corner him and block his shots. If you have hammerhead (which you'll want, it's essential for new players if you don't want to die on 7-1 or 7-2) you can tunnel into a wall somewhere and wait for him to call for IDPD.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Barrington posted:

I think Crystal is great for beginners, with a caveat; if you don't have to dodge you will never get good at it, and it might make you suck more with other characters.

Thinking the same thing made me never play crystal, but now that I'm O.K. at the game I went back to her I can 'feel' when I'm not likely to dodge something; so I still dodge most enemy shots but I can also shield just before a shot would hit me. It doesn't mean I might not have been able to squeeze by the shot if I hadn't shielded, but the shielding has become an extension of the projectile anticipation that dodging is built on rather than a crutch that stymied it.

My earliest play throughs were as robot because 1)he's cute 2) he let you 'not waste' all those guns you weren't going to use 3) at that time Star was playing robot quite a bit and one point literally said something like "Robot does everything fish does but better". This was like a year or more ago so both the game and people's opinions can change but it made an impression on me at the time. Then I realized Yung Venuz is cool and started playing him a lot. I tell you who I strangely don't play much even though I firmly believe he's top tier is Steroids. Did you know he could do pushups forever?

But Rebel, man, I can really feel that they nerfed her from a year+ ago. I think it was a good amount of nerf because she still feels good, and distinct, but I don't seem to build huge teeming masses of rapid firing companions any more as often as before.

Also I didn't know hard mode was a thing until this thread mentioned it, once vans were a thing I just assumed you rode vans to the end (who am I kidding I've never looped twice, but truthfully post vans I stopped even trying). So I'm having fun with that, got to L2 5-2 as fish, gonna keep at it, feels good to still have stuff left to 'do' in this game.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Even though Chicken is not as powerful as she once was, she is still my main.

I present evidence A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHuv6p892vs
A really good set of mutations and me being aggressive as gently caress. But I was doomed to continue my struggle 31 seconds into the video leaving the chicken sword in 1-1 will spawn the black sword on L1 1-1, the laser sword would have been better but the black sword is thematically better.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Such aggression, on L2 1-2 you portaled into a huge 'monster vault', fought your way out of it, then fought your way back into it :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

megane posted:

The deep secret of not getting shot is that dead things can't shoot you. I know when I was new I would carefully pick my shots and conserve ammo, but ironically it's often safer to go full :black101: and drown everyone in bullets the second you become aware of their presence. There are a couple of cases where you need to worry about ammo (e.g. "super" weapons, 3x/4x machine guns) but when in doubt lean heavily towards "excessive."
This is the truest NT advice ever given. Always go balls to the walls, use the big guns, etc.
The only exception is probably don't use a Super Plasma Cannon without back muscle+ammo mutations.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I miss the ion cannon

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Counterpoint: Horror

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Horror is disgustingly underplayed if those daily stats are accurate.

Pros:
-Cute
-5 mutations
-You can delete entire levels before they begin when you get your ultra
-Genderless sentient radiation shooting a giant throne

Cons:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cons: can't shoot two weapons at once, both full-auto

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Horror is so good, they don't even need mutations. (And the only one that can reach the throne without any.)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Tetracube posted:

Counterpoint: Horror

Counter-counter point: horror makes a guest appearance on the video on L1 HQ2. I was quite horrified when i saw that green beam of death. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

oddium posted:

cons: can't shoot two weapons at once, both full-auto
also is not melting, who is way better at deleting whole levels due to ultra A and also makes freak IDPD trivial if you make it that far

horror's good and fun though

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Melting is the best character because he's designed to be the best character, which is why I don't like him :colbert:. The game shouldn't force you into a specific playstyle.

IDPD freaks are there to tell you "what the hell are you doing here without melting+crown of blood? get hosed"

Digirat posted:

Horror is disgustingly underplayed if those daily stats are accurate.

Pros:
-Cute
-5 mutations
-You can delete entire levels before they begin when you get your ultra
-Genderless sentient radiation shooting a giant throne

Cons:

-Rad beam owns for blocking projectiles
-Rad beam does good damage & can be fired simultaneously w/ weapon
-Rad beam can open crown vaults

Horror is fantastic

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 18, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

IronicDongz posted:

This is the truest NT advice ever given. Always go balls to the walls, use the big guns, etc.
The only exception is probably don't use a Super Plasma Cannon without back muscle+ammo mutations.

The most fun you can have in this game is throne butt + back to bizniz super plasma cannon Yung Venuz with screen shake at 100%.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sometimes I can't sleep at night because I keep screen shake at 50%.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Digirat posted:

Sometimes I can't sleep at night because I keep screen shake at 50%.

hosed up if true

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I put screenshake at 0% with no shame whatsoever

go away screenshake you're not wanted in my house

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Beginning to loop more reliably but die early. Last time was with robot in the sewers because I had two super weapons without backmuscle/rabbits paw. I ran out of ammo. :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i have been good and god has rewarded me

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you all to reach and sit on the Throne for the first time? With whom?

Finally sat on the thing 7 hours in with Robot. Walked in with an Auto Crossbow, and grabbed a Plasma Cannon from the 7-3 chest, swapping it out from the Lightning Rifle that got me through 5-*. Though I had Laser Brain, I was only Lv 7 coming into the throne fight. Is this a normal level to fight Throne I at? The Auto Crossbow really carried me through that fight. (I think I had Stress, but I can't quite remember)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Roluth posted:

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you all to reach and sit on the Throne for the first time? With whom?

Finally sat on the thing 7 hours in with Robot. Walked in with an Auto Crossbow, and grabbed a Plasma Cannon from the 7-3 chest, swapping it out from the Lightning Rifle that got me through 5-*. Though I had Laser Brain, I was only Lv 7 coming into the throne fight. Is this a normal level to fight Throne I at? The Auto Crossbow really carried me through that fight. (I think I had Stress, but I can't quite remember)

robot. 36 hours of play, over nine months. :negative:

iirc I was level 7 or 8.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Roluth posted:

Back in my day, we never got to sit on any thrones. We killed mutants until we died from attrition, and we liked it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Colosmicon posted:

Back in my day, we never got to sit on any thrones. We killed mutants until we died from attrition, and we liked it.

Same, i actually got to the throne early last year February of 2015 around Update #62 i think, I may had have like 20-30 or so hours when I "beat" the game for the first time. To be honest I have gotten a lot better at the game once i was able to use a gamepad. I think i need to change my weapon switch button to a more accessible one.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ElMaligno posted:

Same, i actually got to the throne early last year February of 2015 around Update #62 i think, I may had have like 20-30 or so hours when I "beat" the game for the first time. To be honest I have gotten a lot better at the game once i was able to use a gamepad. I think i need to change my weapon switch button to a more accessible one.

i tried this, but it seemed like the game wouldn't let you map shooting to a directional stick. it would let me aim the crosshair with the stick, but i still had to click a shoot button, which was dumb as hell. is there a way to set up a controller so that the game is a twin-stick shooter, where pointing the aim cursor in a direction is also shoot?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Tetracube posted:

Melting is the best character because he's designed to be the best character, which is why I don't like him :colbert:. The game shouldn't force you into a specific playstyle.

IDPD freaks are there to tell you "what the hell are you doing here without melting+crown of blood? get hosed"

In my experience YV with a fuckoff wall of projectiles throne butt BACK 2 BIZNIZ seeker shotty/flak cannon build is much better than a great Melting build.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

homeless poster posted:

i tried this, but it seemed like the game wouldn't let you map shooting to a directional stick. it would let me aim the crosshair with the stick, but i still had to click a shoot button, which was dumb as hell. is there a way to set up a controller so that the game is a twin-stick shooter, where pointing the aim cursor in a direction is also shoot?

Seems like a really good way to run out of ammo fast.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

homeless poster posted:

I couldn't imagine playing the game this way, that seems horrible.

Then again, I don't really get playing this game with a gamepad in the first place. Auto-aim is a poor substitute for the kind of precision you get with kb/m.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I don't mind controller/joystick controls. I've looped plenty of times on PSVita despite all the flaws with that system and even unlocked every B skin. I use 50% auto-aim in the options. The only real issues are with characters like Rogue who can't use her ability very well with a joystick.

Also as a unique problem for the vita, I hate that picking up and swapping weapons are mapped to face buttons (and by default they're circle and triangle). I wish there was some solution where I didn't need to take my thumb off the joystick to change weapons.

RedRupee fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 20, 2016

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

homeless poster posted:

Not letting you bind shoot to the thumbstick makes a ton of sense since you would only be able to effectively use the machine gun and maybe a few other bullet weapons. That leaves around 100 other weapons that would either run out of ammo very quickly or would be very impractical since they aren't automatic.

Basically the game is not outright a standard twin-stick shooter. It expects you to put at least some thought into where you are aiming before you fire. And in the case of melee weapons timing is very important.

Cnidaria fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 20, 2016

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

...I think that's enough nuclear throne for today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Trick Question posted:

...I think that's enough nuclear throne for today.

That's some heartbreak. Once I get to level 5 going for Melting's B-skin I forget to breath. gently caress little hunter.

• Locked thread