Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The UK is really dense and if you live in a city centre like I do, a driving license isn't quite so common even when you grow older. The trains/buses aren't awful even if I complain about them a ton, and I can walk to most places I want to go to. Cars, permits, tax, fuel all expensive and the current climate in my city is super poor wages in skilled jobs and pretty high cost of living so a lot of people see it as an unnecessary expense. We don't do drivers ed in schools etc either and it's not pushed as being so necessary here. I probably should've applied for a provisional license just for ID but I genuinely never need it. I look my age, sadly enough. On the off chance I get carded I tell them I don't carry ID and all is fine as they realise I'm not 17 (alcohol is 18 here, not 21) and just double checking.

It does suck when you need to move something big and most of the people you know in your surrounding area don't drive, or if they can - don't have a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Every state in the US has a state ID which is basically just a drivers license that doesn't let you drive but can serve all ID functions. How can that not exist?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Does Britain not have any form of non driver's license photo ID?

E;F,B

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They wanted to implement a national ID scheme here about... Ten years ago I think? It was shot down over privacy reasons. There was quite a bit of hostility towards it. You can apply for a non drivers ID that I think is government run, and needs existing proof but I've never actually known anyone to have one.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Who What Now posted:

Does Britain not have any form of non driver's license photo ID?

E;F,B

You can get them but you have to go to some degree of effort so people tend to only bother if they actually get carded regularly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Even if I didn't drive I can't imagine not having a photo ID on me at all times. It seems like one of the quintessential things required to be an adult.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it's one of those cultural differences between our countries. Like in the same way it seems getting pulled over seems like a standard thing to happen in the States, but I've never been in a vehicle or can't even remember a friend ever mentioning being pulled over by a cop. We're very rarely asked to prove to anyone who we are, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You can get a card specifically for buying alcohol or going into pubs, but it is voluntary.

Driving licenses now have a photo, but you don't have to carry it whilst driving.

I legit only have a passport as photo ID.

Historically the fuss was because we had to carry identity papers during the war and it was sent as a loss of civil liberties to return to that.

Realistically, the objections were really just something for newspapers to invent as an issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember the local anarchist lot were handing out anti-ID pamphlets, but I don't recall ever talking to anyone beyond them who really cared either way. That's typical Britain though, we just accept our fate as it'll be miserable either way.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy hell all this time and I keep forgetting to check Tumblr!

Scathach has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jan 20, 2016

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Actual article, btw. Click the link. :ssh:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

God loving dammit.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LMAO of course.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not entirely sure why it's hard to convince people that a retail manager is capable of acting like a prick, but hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5qMRZNdlOg

not retail per se

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

:yeah:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:nms: https://56.media.tumblr.com/1afd582eddea279a737004fde03cad31/tumblr_n0lme0ELuB1qzmfm4o1_1280.jpg :nms:

And the accompanying comments:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

tricky riky dropping some truthbombs

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Last year I got into an argument with a guy in a store for carding me. Nothing against that aspect, but it's the fact that he was the manager and told someone to card me when he himself had sold me beer without issue just 2 hours earlier. Then called me a liar when I called him on it. What a prick.

I just finished a dismal two weeks as a BevMo assistant manager, and while they aren't very good at enforcing it, the chain's rule is "Card everyone, every time, no matter what they buy."

Since they're technically liquor stores they have to card kids buying anything since kids technically can't be in there without an adult (so we turned away kids buying energy drinks and root beer), and the cashiers will get in trouble if they use the "just punch in some year when the person is obvious" register option instead of the "scan the ID" one too many times in a week.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

theironjef posted:

I just finished a dismal two weeks as a BevMo assistant manager, and while they aren't very good at enforcing it, the chain's rule is "Card everyone, every time, no matter what they buy."

Since they're technically liquor stores they have to card kids buying anything since kids technically can't be in there without an adult (so we turned away kids buying energy drinks and root beer), and the cashiers will get in trouble if they use the "just punch in some year when the person is obvious" register option instead of the "scan the ID" one too many times in a week.

I was surprised when Total Wine carded my wife, even though I was the one carrying and paying for the liquor. I guess it's to help keep people from buying for minors but it seemed sort of silly that anyone even near the register had to be over 21.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I worked in a private liquor store in BC, and it was part of our training that everyone in the purchaser's party needed to be legal drinking age and have ID to prove it. Unless it was a parent/child situation, as long as the kid wasn't picking out the alcohol. Man, the amount of people who got indignant over being carded. You're buying alcohol. You might get carded. Bring ID.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

While it's understandable in a liquor store my ex used to have issues buying poo poo like paint and glue from walmart if she had her kid sister with her. poo poo was kinda ridiculous.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Last year I got into an argument with a guy in a store for carding me. Nothing against that aspect, but it's the fact that he was the manager and told someone to card me when he himself had sold me beer without issue just 2 hours earlier. Then called me a liar when I called him on it. What a prick.

I'm more confused as to why you were out buying more stuff two hours later. Liquor Stores here would toss your rear end out if you tried that stunt, becasue they can't sell to intoxicated or believed to be intoxicated customers.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm more confused as to why you were out buying more stuff two hours later. Liquor Stores here would toss your rear end out if you tried that stunt, becasue they can't sell to intoxicated or believed to be intoxicated customers.

You really can't think of a plausible situation where he might go to a liquor store twice in a day? The only possible reason is that he drank it all and stumbled there drunk to buy more? Don't be so dense.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

a proper alcoholic would buy all the alcohol he needs in that one day, duh

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I don't like getting carded, but when I'm buying a sneaky pint of Paul Mason with change just to get through the day, I'm not going to begrudge someone for doing their job and trying to keep it. I'll give a cocked eyebrow with a "really?" while I'm fishing out my ID.

Usually they just roll their eyes and say, "you know" and I show them my ID. Other times they are cool and say, "don't worry about it man" so I fine them and try to take away their liquor license.

Why can't people be cool, man?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

tricky riky dropping some truthbombs

Idiots on Social Media: facts are a matter of opinion, yours are clearly wrong im afraid lol

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I once got ID'd buying forks in poundland and they wouldn't sell them to me because they wouldn't sell dangerous implements to anyone under 21. I needed to call my housemate to come into the store and buy them for me. It was a humiliating experience.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cosima posted:

I imagine citizenship is a prerequisite for owning a mid-size, very public business

Why would that be? It certainly isn't the case in Canada at least. Lots of people with their permanent residency (akin to US green card) open businesses

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

What is that a picture of because hell no I'm not clicking on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rolo posted:

I suspect it's a baby mid-birth, still partially inside the mother.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I work in a village newspaper shop, in the UK. The thing with IDing people is that once you ask, you have to commit to it. Even if someone else in the shop knows that person and knows they are over 18, and even if that person is the manager, once you ask you can't just back down. If you get caught doing that you are personally liable for prosecution and thousands of pounds of fines.

Same goes for buying stuff for underage people. I once IDed a girl for a very particular brand of cigarettes, she had none so went off. Then her friend (they came in together) who had id tried to buy em. I asked if they were for her friend, she said yes, I refused service. Then a few minutes later an older woman came in and tried to buy the same brand. I asked if they were for the girl, she said yes, I'm her mother. I refused service. Mother got pretty pissed at me. I don't think you should be buying your 19 year old cigarettes anyway, but that's a different story.

We're just doing our job and trying not to pay thousands of pounds of fines or go to court. Sorry if it spoils your day and means you might have to go to another shop.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Subjunctive posted:

Why would that be? It certainly isn't the case in Canada at least. Lots of people with their permanent residency (akin to US green card) open businesses

My bad, I meant citizenship, residency, SOME form of documentation that states they're allowed to be in the country.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I suspect it's a baby mid-birth, still mostly inside the mother.

ftfy

E: well I didnt notice the word "suspect" in your post, but it most assuredly is a baby mostly inside the mother

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Jan 20, 2016

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Rolo posted:

At first I thought it was a butt with a turd. The comments still worked.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

I suspect it's a baby mid-birth, still partially inside the mother.

It's actually totally tasteful given the subject matter. I thought it was beautiful.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

artsy fartsy posted:

At first I thought it was a butt with a turd.

Shbobdb posted:

I thought it was beautiful.

Duality of man, etc etc

e:

Real person, btw, but I found this screenshot elsewhere hence no blur/edit, tbh if you want to browse the rest of his profile it's just as eugggh.

cash crab has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Jan 20, 2016

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Who the hell is still waxing/shaving their junk nine months into pregnancy?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bomrek posted:

Who the hell is still waxing/shaving their junk nine months into pregnancy?

Lots of women, both because they're going to be "on display" and to make it easier to tell if there's tearing, or for the doctor performing an episiotomy to have a clearer view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

From a guy who supports the registration/deportation of all Muslim peoples in the US. I don't think this image implies what he thinks it implies. On the other hand, I'm not sure at all what he thinks it implies.