Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Zoness posted:

This just in, Arcbound Ravager $100 (or $50.59 tcg mid)!
What are you saying here? I'm not understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

He's about to try and sell an item at a price that no one will buy it at.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

What are you saying here? I'm not understanding.

Osyp's prediction

warning: potato quality. The whole video is great honestly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

So I just did a price check on affinity based on the bannings and..

This just in, Arcbound Ravager $100 (or $50.59 tcg mid)!

I think it's time to cash out of modern. My $350 deck has tripled its networth since mid-2013.

Hasn't it been steady at like $50 for a while now?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think it was around 40 a week ago but honestly I don't remember much. I also don't price check that often.

I'm really just hoping Osyp's $100 announcement becomes true at some point. I don't think it broke significantly over $20 right before it was banned in standard.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
thanks modern for financing my ANT deck. thANTs

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Yawgmoth posted:

Imagine literally every new player of anything ever. Losing is just part of getting better; you lost a shitload when you started, as did I, as did everyone else. The great thing about draft is that you can pick up a pile of poo poo and still win a game or two, and drafting itself is kind of fun. What I'm struggling with is the idea of a totally new player who hasn't spent any money on the game watching 20+ hours of magic podcasts and reading piles of magic blogs so that when he finally makes the incredible investment of $15 he can draft like a pro and win out - and then actually does so despite having only theoretical knowledge of the format and the players.

It's not just $15 dude, drafting takes like 3-4 hours. That's the main reason I stopped drafting a little while after DTK. Maybe it was just DTK that left a bad taste in my mouth. Watching everyone fight over the URB cards and hoping you're not the poor dumb rear end in a top hat who gets stuck with all the Rebound and Bolster cards for 3-4 hours every week was miserable.

And in my experience, doing your homework (that is, reading blogs/articles, listening to podcasts, doing a draft on MTGO once in a while) gives you a huge advantage over the competition, so unless you get a kick out of losing at Magic for 3-4 hours on weekends, it costs a lot more than you think.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Mr. Jive posted:

And in my experience, doing your homework (that is, reading blogs/articles, listening to podcasts, doing a draft on MTGO once in a while) gives you a huge advantage over the competition, so unless you get a kick out of losing at Magic for 3-4 hours on weekends, it costs a lot more than you think.

Well duh, the point being discussed is that to actually get that advantage from all that extra-curricular homework assumes a core drafting competency, which for a very new player won't be gleaned by reading intricate limited set reviews that presume a certain base skill level.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I always feel a bit bad for the (under?) ~10 year olds at prereleases and sometimes at FNM. I'm patient and helpful with them, but at the end of the day I'm not going to play to lose.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think they should design a MMA set built for sealed rather than draft, you can avoid having to pick between a money card or a good limited card and get constructed viable cards out there.
The problem would be that paying 60 bucks to play sealed, then opening a poo poo pool would be extremely frustrating.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Honestly most of the kids at my shop are better winners/losers than some of the adults.

Though there is the one kid who mumbles everything and looks like he's absolutely miserable while I'm attacking in for lethal. :(

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The problem would be that paying 60 bucks to play sealed, then opening a poo poo pool would be extremely frustrating.

Definitely in favour of less ridiculous pricing. I guess that's true, unless they could really get some good value uncommons in there.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I always feel a bit bad for the (under?) ~10 year olds at prereleases and sometimes at FNM. I'm patient and helpful with them, but at the end of the day I'm not going to play to lose.

Kids rule and learn fast its crazy how fast a kid will go from getting blown out by a combat trick to suckering you in for a 2-for-1, just treat them nicely and they don't mind losing in my experience.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I in fact played MM2015 sealed and got a poo poo pool.

As you probably imagine, it just doesn't work because MM2015 was incredibly archetype focused and you simply didn't have the cards to make it work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

stinkles1112 posted:

Another card I think could be really good soon, and certainly post-rotation, is Herald of Kozilek. There are so many cards that get stupid good when you knock a mana off the cost.

Already have my UR Aggro/control shell ready to go with this. Basically herald,munch of of the new blue eldrazi to ramp up and tap down dudes along with the man lands and curving to bane of bala ged. Back up with a counter suite and treasure cruise to reload, I'm think of add ithe hasty prowess flyer but not sure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Is Nissa, Voice of Zendikar any good in Constructed? As much as I can concede she doesn't seem to "do" anything, she also does cost three mana, which is nothing to sniff at.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

Is Nissa, Voice of Zendikar any good in Constructed? As much as I can concede she doesn't seem to "do" anything, she also does cost three mana, which is nothing to sniff at.

There hasn't been a good list I have seen that makes her any good yet. Basically should would need a deck you would excel in going wide in but she could also benefit from her own oath and gideon's. The 1gg seems to be an issue though considering that is pretty tight to play on turn 3.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Imagine if you didn't play EDH

i work at my card shop again, i'm an event runner, it's generally a decent idea to keep an ear to the ground with the magic players in the area

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Literally The Worst posted:

i work at my card shop again, i'm an event runner, it's generally a decent idea to keep an ear to the ground with the magic players in the area

I am so sorry. I guess people have to work at a card shop to keep them open but ..... Sorry.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

There hasn't been a good list I have seen that makes her any good yet. Basically should would need a deck you would excel in going wide in but she could also benefit from her own oath and gideon's. The 1gg seems to be an issue though considering that is pretty tight to play on turn 3.

Too bad Garruk Wildspeaker isn't legal :( It feels like there should be some kind of Overrun effect that doesn't actually exist.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

Too bad Garruk Wildspeaker isn't legal :( It feels like there should be some kind of Overrun effect that doesn't actually exist.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

alternatively, the 2/1 green rally dude

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Anyone on here in the MTGO Beta?

I was wondering if I actually have to sign up against for every test cycle or if they just let you in for every set once you've applied and gotten in?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Once you are in you are in. I skipped a few beta cycles and have had no problem jumping back in when I want to play free weird beta sealed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
public service announcement:
https://twitter.com/alexsteacy/status/689651188329877504

https://twitter.com/alexsteacy/status/689654146446680065

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Does this mean Alex will get banned for a year for shaming Magic players?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

just a little psa to magic players, stop eating turds. a lot of people will thank you

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Literally kill everyone who plays this game

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Once you are in you are in. I skipped a few beta cycles and have had no problem jumping back in when I want to play free weird beta sealed.

I'm not a fan of weird free beta sealed exclusively because there's a bunch of cards that do literally nothing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't play magic

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

The Shortest Path posted:

Literally kill everyone who plays this game

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
So whats everyone's predictions for the metashift post OGW?

... or more specifically whats everyones thoughts on Mardu? I still have a lot of good RBW stuff including mana base and Thunderbreak, Sorins, Rocs, etc and Im wondering if another pair of Crackling Dooms and more Gideons are worth picking up soon.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Crackling Doom still seems really good, and you get access to Kozilek's Return and more black removal if you want it. It feels like Dark Jeskai is still a better place to be than straight Mardu since I don't think a 3 colour deck is going to be any better at generating colourless mana for the C-costing cards.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Lancelot posted:

Crackling Doom still seems really good, and you get access to Kozilek's Return and more black removal if you want it. It feels like Dark Jeskai is still a better place to be than straight Mardu since I don't think a 3 colour deck is going to be any better at generating colourless mana for the C-costing cards.

If you go three colour you can run the Origins Painduels for that stuff; but the four colour decks hinge on fetches plus BFZ duels in order to sequence their spells and get all four colours, dont they?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

If you go three colour you can run the Origins Painduels for that stuff; but the four colour decks hinge on fetches plus BFZ duels in order to sequence their spells and get all four colours, dont they?

You can probably have one or two painlands for the colours you need early. And Gideon is a good card, I'm probably going to try Mardu and/or Abzan walkers with his Oath too.

Does raise the question of how good new Chandra is, and Sarkhan Dragonspeaker in the new format.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 20, 2016

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
I've also been trying and failing to sculpt any kind of Mardu Walkers deck, Oath of Gideon helps so much with a Chandra and Gideon able to ult much better and Sorin and Sarkhan only 1 away from an emblem. It's Chandra that feels like the biggest draw, the potential is really there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just got linked to this infographic and it's the first time I've notice that Windswept Heath is the least valuable fetch, when I was sure it was going to be Bloodstained Mire. Since it's in Abzan, I find this pretty surprising, can anyone explain?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got linked to this infographic and it's the first time I've notice that Windswept Heath is the least valuable fetch, when I was sure it was going to be Bloodstained Mire. Since it's in Abzan, I find this pretty surprising, can anyone explain?

It was in the last Clash Pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Already have my UR Aggro/control shell ready to go with this. Basically herald,munch of of the new blue eldrazi to ramp up and tap down dudes along with the man lands and curving to bane of bala ged. Back up with a counter suite and treasure cruise to reload, I'm think of add ithe hasty prowess flyer but not sure.

I'm on the fence between enhancing my existing B/R Devoid Ghostfire aggro thing and switching up into a UR control thing instead. Herald of Kozilek just looks like it could do some serious work for a deck like that. The option is there to go full Grixis as well, but I can't afford the manabase for it.

• Locked thread