Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DeadGame posted:

I have a question for the painter goons. I've got the contrast working out well on this Scourge paint scheme, but I want to add some color. What is a good color to add to the brown->tan->yellow sort of gradient I have going?

I'd go with a purple hue in a few spots, kinda like what FW does with their Iron Hands:

It's subtle, but really awesome for a black metallic look and would go well with the Scourge theme imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

signalnoise posted:

New attempt, took long enough to get around to it

Here's a basecoat. Next steps are metallic on the armor, layer reddish-orange, layer a lighter brown on the brown, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with the cloth and bone. I could not for the life of me get straight lines on the rings around the horns.

Hey Signalnoise, did you ever get around to finishing this guy?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DeadGame posted:

I have a question for the painter goons. I've got the contrast working out well on this Scourge paint scheme, but I want to add some color. What is a good color to add to the brown->tan->yellow sort of gradient I have going?

What paints are you using for that gradient? I like it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I played a Warmachine game this weekend, and this dude was the MVP. His Warjack was destroyed, which would usually render him pretty worthless, but he just took his big 'ol spear and killed six Bane Knights (spooky skellington guys) by his lonesome. His reward was getting bumped up my "to paint" priority list.

I still need to finish the skin and the spear, but I'm really satisfied with the robe. Usually I look at my painting up close and feel like it's garbage. It's nice to like it for once. Progress!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Geisladisk posted:

I played a Warmachine game this weekend, and this dude was the MVP. His Warjack was destroyed, which would usually render him pretty worthless, but he just took his big 'ol spear and killed six Bane Knights (spooky skellington guys) by his lonesome. His reward was getting bumped up my "to paint" priority list.

I still need to finish the skin and the spear, but I'm really satisfied with the robe. Usually I look at my painting up close and feel like it's garbage. It's nice to like it for once. Progress!

Just love the cloth!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

DeadGame posted:

BULBASAUR posted:

I'd go with a purple hue in a few spots, kinda like what FW does with their Iron Hands:

It's subtle, but really awesome for a black metallic look and would go well with the Scourge theme imo

I could definitely see some subtle purple working out nicely. What colour are you planning for the eyes and are you going to do any engine or weapon glow?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Okay, so, I'm painting up the Onager Dunecrawler:

I'm thinking of using the liquid mask method I tested earlier with a paint scheme kind of like this:

Possibly going four colors with brown, green, olive green, and black. Does that sound like it would work well?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

enri posted:

I've found a great way to combat assembly line drudgery, it's basically have multiple projects on the go at the same time, even multiple assembly lines. Tell yourself once you've done X, Y or Z on assembly line 1, you'll spend a bit of time on that centrepiece model, when you're waiting for something to dry on that, then pick up the next thing in the queue. I get so much more painting done when I've got more to paint. If I've got one project on the go then it takes ages to get anywhere with it.

Hell, just paint the stuff you want to and then fill drying time with troops.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JackMann posted:

Okay, so, I'm painting up the Onager Dunecrawler:

I'm thinking of using the liquid mask method I tested earlier with a paint scheme kind of like this:

Possibly going four colors with brown, green, olive green, and black. Does that sound like it would work well?

Honestly, I think it will be hard to pull off unless you weather the hell out of it. I don't want to discourage you from trying something cool, but doing camo patterns can be hard to do well. I'd ask around the scale modeling thread to see if anybody has tips or tricks on what you can do here.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, my hope is that by doing the paint all with zenithal shading, I can get the camouflage to look reasonably decent. I mean, the camo test on the base wasn't perfect, but I think it showed the liquid mask works, so it should be pretty easy to get the different colors down without needing to hand-paint the stripes in (possibly doing some edge highlights at the end).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JackMann posted:

Well, my hope is that by doing the paint all with zenithal shading, I can get the camouflage to look reasonably decent. I mean, the camo test on the base wasn't perfect, but I think it showed the liquid mask works, so it should be pretty easy to get the different colors down without needing to hand-paint the stripes in (possibly doing some edge highlights at the end).

Some people just use blu-tac to make camo and it seems to work quite well.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bistromatic posted:

I could definitely see some subtle purple working out nicely. What colour are you planning for the eyes and are you going to do any engine or weapon glow?

I'm not sure about eyes yet. For weapon glow (this particular transport is unarmed) I was thinking bright red, using a red glaze, like this guys:

After doing some reading, it looks like blue is a complement to this brown sort of base color I have. So blue is another option.

I need to pick a color for the engine vents and a color for the weapon glows and I think I'm good to go. And also the eyes.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some people just use blu-tac to make camo and it seems to work quite well.

That's pretty much the idea behind the liquid mask. It's a rubber sort of compound you brush on that peels off after it dries. That's how I got this:

I covered too much area on the first bit (giving too much olive compared to the brown and green), but the masking worked pretty well. Ignore the blue, that was an attempt at a stencil that didn't work out. On the actual model, I intend to do zenithal shading with the airbrush. I'll add in some washes and edge highlighting after the fact, but I'm hoping to get the basic camo down without having to kill myself over it.

I do intend to also do some weathering on it, but I want to have a nice solid base to start with before I get to that point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

Can anyone recommend a fineliner brand in the UK for doing panel lines? I've just killed two pens in a row from my local art shop, and I did the same with two sharpie fineliners a while back. Any ideas?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

DeadGame posted:

After doing some reading, it looks like blue is a complement to this brown sort of base color I have. So blue is another option.

Do it. Then your dudes would look even more like the aliens from Alien, and that's always the right decision.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Hey Signalnoise, did you ever get around to finishing this guy?

I have not, personal poo poo though

It's the first thing for me to finish when I get back to it though

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
My girlfriend is offering to get me some thing from Omer des Serres, a canadian art supply store. There's brands i don't readily have access to over here, Liquitex and Golden come to mind. Does Anyone have recommendations what i should ask for?

So far I was thinking Liquitex Matte Medium and Flow Aid. Does anyone have experience with their Airbrush medium? Or, as i said, any other recommendations in general.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can you get sable brushes in canada?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Bistromatic posted:

My girlfriend is offering to get me some thing from Omer des Serres, a canadian art supply store. There's brands i don't readily have access to over here, Liquitex and Golden come to mind. Does Anyone have recommendations what i should ask for?

So far I was thinking Liquitex Matte Medium and Flow Aid. Does anyone have experience with their Airbrush medium? Or, as i said, any other recommendations in general.

I work right next to a Serres so I use the airbrush medium and it seems to work well. I dont really have a lot of reference points to other purpose made mediums but it works well for me.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

I love liquitex airbrush medium. It's the only airbrush thiner I use. Liquitex matte varnish is also the poo poo.

Anyway, this little guy has been in my painting queue for too long. No more, little buddy.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Bistromatic posted:

The Golden fine grind metallics are quite nice, I highly recommend them. I also like Liquitex acrylic varnishes for airbrush use, but that's hardly a big deal given how many other options are out there, I just use them because they're convenient for me to get and I know how they behave.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I tried blue and I like the way it looks, but my wife thinks they look like windows and not fusion exhausts.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I love liquitex airbrush medium. It's the only airbrush thiner I use. Liquitex matte varnish is also the poo poo.

Anyway, this little guy has been in my painting queue for too long. No more, little buddy.

I don't recognize that miniature, but I like your color choices.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

DeadGame posted:

I tried blue and I like the way it looks, but my wife thinks they look like windows and not fusion exhausts.

I think it looks good. They didn't read as windows to me.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Trying to find some minis for a couple of players and I was hoping you guys could help.

1) An ogrun female from Iron Kingdoms. Problem here is that Privateer Press has never released an Ogrun female model, and the models for female ogres from other lines are kind of annoyingly lacking in terms of being... well, good. Or clothed. Best I've found so far is the Orc Scout from the Norsgard line, which looks like it might work, but I'm willing to entertain other thoughts. The character is a thief, so something sneaky looking while still being a larger model than others should be useful.

2) Something very similar to a witch hunter. I've got a player playing an ice-elf sheriff. The pic he showed me was a guy in a long coat with a wide brimmed hat wielding an ice-elf claymore (which in this setting is literally a katana). I've come up on some models that might work, just as the Darkness Hunter from Confrontation, but if there's any closer ones I'd be happy to see them.

3) A wizard who wears, and the player was quite specific about this, armor over his robes. I saw the Forsaken Banes from the Dark Age line and thought they might work, but again, I'm open to any other ideas.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Cross-posting from the inhalants thread.

album link

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fauxtool posted:

You guys club baby seals don't you?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BULBASAUR posted:

You guys club baby seals don't you?

I club children, personally. I use their baby teeth for basing materials.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

DeadGame posted:

Maybe add sharper contrast to the exhausts?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They may read as windows if you don't play DZC, but knowing what the unit is I think they look great.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

I club children, personally. I use their baby teeth for basing materials.

This is good advice. Where I'm from we grind up their bones too- turns into this fine silt just perfect for snow bases.

That's why I'll be surprised if they don't sell sable

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DeadGame posted:

I'm a big fan of this blue

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished this dude. I'm really satisfied, except the face looks weird - But then again, my faces always look weird. I feel like I just don't have the dexterity to paint faces yet. They're just too small. :(

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for the suggestions y'all.

DeadGame posted:

I like this too. As a general opinion the scourge have a lot of elements that you can do glowy: eyes, weapons, vents, engines. If you do all of those with a strong glow it would be easy to lose the nice brown base colour among the glowy bits so personally i'd go with one or two elements. That said, i think you're going in a good direction.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

I have an escoda reserva sitting right beside me, so sure can

It's the worst brush I've ever bought

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
No kidding? I use escoda brushes for years and I've liked them all.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

rzal posted:

I don't recognize that miniature, but I like your color choices.

Looks like a kirin of some type.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Weirdo posted:

Looks like a kirin of some type.

Good call. Turns out it's from dark sword miniatures in their Stephanie Law range.
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/stephanie-law-masterworks/kirin-x-2.html

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bistromatic posted:

I like this too. As a general opinion the scourge have a lot of elements that you can do glowy: eyes, weapons, vents, engines. If you do all of those with a strong glow it would be easy to lose the nice brown base colour among the glowy bits so personally i'd go with one or two elements. That said, i think you're going in a good direction.

Hopping on the train to agree. IMO I kind of agree with your Wife, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing? I mean, it looks good, regardless. Why would it have to be a fusion vent over a window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Crossposting from the 40k thread, hope that's okay:

quote:

I haven't painted minis since about 2006, but recently got the itch again. I ended up picking up a Start Collecting bundle and decided to paint myself some 4th Company Ultras.

Finished up 3 marines today, pretty pleased with them considering how long it's been (compared to my stuff 10 years ago when I last did this: http://i.imgur.com/5Uw6OuW.jpg?1). The rest and dreadnought are at various stages of progress.

Thoughts?