Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Harry and Draco still settling in to their domestic life together I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh boy I can't wait for the self indulgent puke inducing strip where whatsherface tells young Peter Griffin that she thinks buff guys are overrated and prefers chunkier guys as young Peter Griffin beams and thinks something gross

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
"A plugger is a fat elderly idiot who revels in ignorance" is all those Plugger cartoons ever say to me. Why would you want to admit that was you?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Taear posted:

"A plugger is a fat elderly idiot who revels in ignorance" is all those Plugger cartoons ever say to me. Why would you want to admit that was you?

At a certain age, you realize that a piece of poo poo is all you'll ever be, and you embrace it.

See: the entire audience at NASCAR raceways.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'd prefer to be on Imgur, since xomf doesn't load the preview thumb-nails, but every time I try uploading something on Imgur it just sits at the 'Pending' status. Anyone else have this happen?

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, that's certainly an image to greet a guy after powering through the backlog of the last thread and catching up on this one since Christmas. Last time I was caught up was March 22nd, so I was down something like 21,000 posts. Made pretty good time over the holidays with a laptop while watching football, only ended up 4941 posts behind (putting me somewhere in October) when the last thread closed. Being at work slowed me down a bit, but today, I am caught up.

(I got some assistance by Aardmania's posts sometimes entirely vanishing for no clear reason, as well as finding that I no longer cared about Big Ben Bolt once he stopped boxing, so I could just scrollwheel through that block.)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 19, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

LordPants posted:

I like that Watterson doesn't come down on either side on whether it's all in Calvins head or not, it allows gags like this to be read both ways. Also, his art is great, the perspective change in the second panel and Hobbes line of action is cool. And I've always liked his collisions. And "toy Hobbes" always cracks me up. Welp that's me gushing over a dumb 4 panel newspaper strip.

Hobbes' constant attacks mean that he's either a bullying rear end in a top hat or a manifestation of Calvin's self-harming impulses.

Taear posted:

The Plugger Randomizer is still around and still accurate.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Kid Fenris posted:

Hobbes' constant attacks mean that he's either a bullying rear end in a top hat or a manifestation of Calvin's self-harming impulses.

Overly negative way of looking at it. I always saw Hobbes' pouncing as like when a big, friendly dog jumps on you. It's rough, but there's no malice in it; he's just happy to see you!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

Interesting phrasing right there.

When did Garth Ennis take over writing Mark Trail?

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 20, 2016

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Feiffer (click for big)

:smith: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052700/

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Simian_Prime posted:

Overly negative way of looking at it. I always saw Hobbes' pouncing as like when a big, friendly dog jumps on you. It's rough, but there's no malice in it; he's just happy to see you!

Supposedly the pouncing was based on Watterson's cat.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 26, 1950)

Barnaby (June 3, 1942)

Nancy (February 9, 1943)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

While Paint it Black is a pretty good song, it's not exactly danceable.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ardeem posted:

While Paint it Black is a pretty good song, it's not exactly danceable.

I'd like to see an edit where she's dancing to other undanceable songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Your Cheatin' Heart, No Caroline, etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also when she was young, it was the 1920s.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Also when she was young, it was the 1920s.

So she'd be dancing to this then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smWyKu1q0Cc

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Oh, so you're gonna post Curtis from now on?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yet another comic strip artist who draws children looking like big-headed midgets.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Please Tell Me We're Not Spending A Whole Week On Robert Plant

It doesn't make the tiniest bit of difference whether the algorhythm makes sense to foolish humans if it works. You admit to liking both artists, so clearly it works. (Clearly the target demographic "MyTunes" is working from is "Aging Boomer Fucks." You know, this one:

)

Endless Mike posted:

It's too bad Weekday Spider-Man Colorist didn't get the memo that Atlanteans are blue.

Neither did Namor.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

He was more or less over her and apparently we can't have that! But what I'm really hoping for is something along the lines of, "You had your chance, Baby." *Namor jumps into a giant clamshell with some hot mermaid chick*

Sally Forth

Nona's been telepathic for a while now, Faye. She also has the best hair. Keep up. (So glad we got a joke today.)

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I keep forgetting to post my comics.

The Classic Dinette Set didn't consider all its options.

Working Daze sets a new record in laziness.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix incepts.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

YOU LEAVE THE 80S THE HELL ALONE, GILCHRIST

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

Neither did Namor.
Namor is only half Atlantean and, furthermore, is also a mutant half-Atlantean
:goonsay:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That's not a joke, it's a perfectly reasonable answer.

Someone needs to tell James Allen to stop putting his friends in the comic, they all look really weird.

EasyEW posted:

Please Tell Me We're Not Spending A Whole Week On Robert Plant
I don't understand how this works, therefore it's dumb! :downs:

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
Is there a joke here? Arlo gets out his clothes for the day, then puts them on. What? :confused:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I parsed the joke as everything is neat but when he puts them on they are baggy. I think thats the joke but i'm not 100% on it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Is there a joke here? Arlo gets out his clothes for the day, then puts them on. What? :confused:

He's contemplating suicide.

The man desperately needs help, and won't get it.

Our country's attitude towards the mentally ill is the real joke here.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 21, 1928)

Peanuts (January 22, 1969)

Funky WILL YOU SHUT UP ALREADY ABOUT ROBERT MOTHERFUCKING PLANT???!!!

Also, it's called a playlist, not a listening list, for God's sake. I know TomBat pops an authorial boner for alliteration, but it just makes everybody sound like an idiot. More than usual, anyway.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 15-16, 1928)

A perfect one to post for when it's 17 degrees outside.

Thimble Theater (August 8, 1929)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
For gently caress's sake, Batiuk. iTunes's algorithm has noticed that a lot of people who like Robert Plant also like Emmylou Harris. Therefore, when you liked Robert Plant, it told you you might also like Emmylou Harris. It's playing the percentages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Namor is only half Atlantean and, furthermore, is also a mutant half-Atlantean
:goonsay:

Namor's mutation is his ankle wings though!

But yes, I came to say that Namor is only half-Atlantean.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze sets a new record in laziness.

Let's check the latest Twitter hilarity from Zakour and Roberts' in-character Twitter account that they totally wouldn't have just used the name for without checking first
https://twitter.com/overworked/status/579270756602810370
Oh.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Howard Beale posted:

Let's check the latest Twitter hilarity from Zakour and Roberts' in-character Twitter account that they totally wouldn't have just used the name for without checking first
Oh.

gently caress that, I want Pushing Daisies back.

Buni

Buni-with-stubble-and-cigarette is actually Buni's dad.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

All the soon-to-be-convicts in pros and cons remind me of this:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Senior Woodchuck posted:

For gently caress's sake, Batiuk. iTunes's algorithm has noticed that a lot of people who like Robert Plant also like Emmylou Harris. Therefore, when you liked Robert Plant, it told you you might also like Emmylou Harris. It's playing the percentages.

the dying man actually does like Emmylou Harris, and is still offended that a technology would infer this about him

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Howard Beale posted:

Oh.

So is it them or not? That seems exactly like the kind of lazy, tepid 'nerd culture' thing one of their characters would post.

Which character? It doesn't matter. They all have the same personality with a trite quirk pasted on top of it. Cynicomix!

Pooch Café

Everyone should carry around some pocket legos. They also make excellent caltrops and you can play with them when you get bored, I guess.

Ballard Street

I want to see Lenny and Lyle try that poo poo with Chet. He'd rip their forelimbs off.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Klegulo is rapidly rising the ranks of best characters.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's the fact that the characters are so visibly upset about this that really pushes it into unfunny absurdity.

Well, no, I guess that'd be down to Batiuk deciding this is a week's worth of content. loving hell.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

For those of you that came in late: Stephan Pastis (the character) and his wife got a divorce, now he lives in a basket on her front porch. I specify "the character" as Stephan Pastis the actual author has not gotten a divorce, contrary to what literally anyone would naturally assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Good guy Barry teaching the incurable goon basic human interaction and status establishment.

• Locked thread