Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

50% of marriages fail. More than 50% of restaurants fail in their first year.

OP is a first time husband, first time restaurant worker.

That is like a 25% chance of success at best.

Not even married yet either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Why did you start this thread in the first place? What did you expect?

Alternatively; gently caress Toronto smd

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
To get the kind of feedback you can only get from mean spirited and distrustful interneters.

I may be defensive but I'm here listening and answering.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I don't want to sound ungrateful or dismissive of concern of advice, but I will ask you this. If you had a promising business and a good opportunity that was going to provide even an outside shot at doing what you love every day a couple years ahead of schedule, would you take a shot?

Taking a shot is a great, the ambition and desire you have to charge forward is a good reason you've done well with the pop-up / festival stuff, and will be an asset when you can open your own place.

But to take a shot you need to have a loaded gun. You don't, you have a starter pistol with damp squibs. If you don't have the money to even open without going to kickstarter to close the gap, will you have the money to live on after a year of not paying yourself a salary? Because that's a completely normal thing for a new establishment.

My sister is currently on year 2 of owning a cafe & bakery. Very different scale and line of food, but the same requirements are there. She had a year of cushion, and she needed it. poo poo happens and that always means money. Equipment breaks. Your food supplier could gently caress you over -- for example sending a shipment of flour that had bugs in it so she was buying from costco while arguing with them about it. It takes a while to build up a real clientele. And she had some big advantages besides just money, like working in the local high-end food scene for multiple years so she had connections and was selling wholesale to other restaurants on day one.

I don't want to be mean to you just because GBS, even though this was not the best idea. But you are setting yourself up for a plan where you will need to be lucky with everything to not go under. Not just good at making food and connecting with customers, but lucky with stuff that will be 100% out of your control.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'm not gonna quote it but you asked something like if I had the chance to jump the gun on my dream because a great opportunity came along would I do it?

No - for the same reason I wouldn't induce my kid at 7 months if the hospital was offering the "great opportunity" of half-price pitocin. I want my dream not just to be born, but to have a good chance to live - not die gasping because I was impatient to see its beautiful blue face.

I know you think we're being cynics, but maybe you're the cynical one? You think that a cheap place to open is some kind of once-in-a-lifetime deal? drat, dude. Cheap commercial real estate is available all the drat time. If you can't find any, wait few weeks or months at most and something decent will open up.

Waiting until you've got more money saved up also gives you more opportunities, not fewer, by expanding the number of places you can afford. That lets you concentrate more on location, which is more important for a mostly-seasonal niche restaurant than slightly higher rent payments.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Neophyte posted:

I know you think we're being cynics, but maybe you're the cynical one? You think that a cheap place to open is some kind of once-in-a-lifetime deal? drat, dude. Cheap commercial real estate is available all the drat time. If you can't find any, wait few weeks or months at most and something decent will open up.

Also the Canadian economy is probably going to continue to poo poo the bed further for the next year or longer, so commercial rents will probably be even more affordable if you hold off until you have a decent cash reserve to start with.

A bed making GBS threads economy may also have significant impacts on profit margins for a brand new restaurant if enough people start feeling crunched for income.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
just a reminder that i have not criticised or insulted ur fiancee bc shes not the one posting shockingly ridiculous poo poo here and the posters doing so are being edgy creepy as gently caress

Dr. Tommy John posted:

If you had a promising business and a good opportunity that was going to provide even an outside shot at doing what you love every day a couple years ahead of schedule, would you take a shot?
absolutely not, because what u call "a couple years ahead of schedule" is what people with even a shred of wisdom and maturity call NOWHERE NEAR READY

Dr. Tommy John posted:

We'd rather have taken more time, built up more capital and experience and opened with a larger staff and fuller operation.
bullshit. if this was true this is what u would have done. stop trying to act like someone's holding a gun to your head and forcing u to do it in the way that coincidentally is the way uve decided to do it. be a man and own up to ur own decisions.

Dr. Tommy John posted:

would you not see any value in the fact that failing a kickstarter still builds publicity that succeeding at a bank does not?
no. this transcends absurdity. these are the words of someone who has stepped through their own rear end in a top hat into an alternate plane of existence with like melty clocks and up is down and failing at begging is better than succeeding at being an attractive loan risk.

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Why have so many of you immediately assumed that we couldn't borrow this money
because if u could u wouldnt be begging for money on a comedy forum whose patron saint is a middle aged man with a dragchute for an rear end in a top hat. its undignified and frankly if i was ur fiancee id be terribly embarrassed for u. if u love her u should strive to be a respectable man who earns his own way through hard planning and even harder work and having the wisdom to take the time to do things right.

u should close this thread and instead do ur pitch in the toronto thread in the LAN forum, it would make more sense there bc those people might actually be some of ur future guests.

whoflungpoop fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 20, 2016

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

These are excellent and well thought out posts, thank you both very much.

I maybe should have been emphasizing some different parts of our plan and being less dismissive of what you guys are saying here, I realize I may have been coming off increasingly indignant.

I refused to hear you about patience and executing this properly and more comfortably over a longer timeline, and I'm sorry if I seemed ignorant in that. But our understanding of what the costs are and our current financial standing are being harshly misrepresented here, even if I completely understand why.

We will not live or die with the money from kickstarter. It will save us some money up front that, as we are discussing right now, is worth at least twice what it will be when we could otherwise afford it. We will be fine through the terms of our lease if we have to rent these items, even if you're right that this time could be less than happy if we are struggling to make enough profit to pay ourselves.

We are saying the same thing here, except you're arguing as if I still may listen to reason and not go through with it. I'm saying what you are, were currently in an uncomfortable position to pull this off and some extra capital would be a good idea. But I'd appreciate at least a modicum of assumption that I might have some idea of how much we'll need for the first leg of a six-month renewable lease.

E: and I hardly posted this here expecting this, though I did want to expose it to some people more critical than those who already support us and see the feedback. I did close this thread yesterday, but I guess it was hilarious enough that someone decided it needed to be revisited and I'm genuinely interested in some of your opinions.

E2: and thank you for directing your vitriol at where it belongs. don't think I didn't notice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

i doubt anyone thinks ur going to change ur mind, its the goon in the well scenario except the goon is shaking a change jar

u should def close this thread tho i dont know why u havent been banned yet other than the mods reopened it for folks to dogpile on u. if u take one advice close it and take ur pitch to people who are actually in ur city

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I maybe should have been emphasizing some different parts of our plan and being less dismissive of what you guys are saying here, I realize I may have been coming off increasingly indignant.

I refused to hear you about patience and executing this properly and more comfortably over a longer timeline, and I'm sorry if I seemed ignorant in that. But our understanding of what the costs are and our current financial standing are being harshly misrepresented here, even if I completely understand why.

We will not live or die with the money from kickstarter. It will save us some money up front that, as we are discussing right now, is worth at least twice what it will be when we could otherwise afford it. We will be fine through the terms of our lease if we have to rent these items, even if you're right that this time could be less than happy if we are struggling to make enough profit to pay ourselves.

We are saying the same thing here, except you're arguing as if I still may listen to reason and not go through with it. I'm saying what you are, were currently in an uncomfortable position to pull this off and some extra capital would be a good idea. But I'd appreciate at least a modicum of assumption that I might have some idea of how much we'll need for the first leg of a six-month renewable lease.

E: and I hardly posted this here expecting this, though I did want to expose it to some people more critical than those who already support us and see the feedback. I did close this thread yesterday, but I guess it was hilarious enough that someone decided it needed to be revisited and I'm genuinely interested in some of your opinions.

E2: and thank you for directing your vitriol at where it belongs. don't think I didn't notice

You clearly feel ashamed about something because you have closed this thread twice now.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

whoflungpoop posted:

i doubt anyone thinks ur going to change ur mind, its the goon in the well scenario except the goon is shaking a change jar

u should def close this thread tho i dont know why u havent been banned yet other than the mods reopened it for folks to dogpile on u. if u take one advice close it and take ur pitch to people who are actually in ur city

This thread was never about changing his mind. He's doing whatever it is he's doing and taking his fiance with him no matter what happens.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

swbm could u please let the op keep his thread closed?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Whoa and it's open again.

This Canuck's cool calm facade is beginning to crack

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Neophyte posted:

Let's see:

(1) six month time limit until a new startup niche-in-a-literal-niche restaurant has to make a profit (two years operating expenses should be your minimum cushion btw)
(12) or more hr days together sweating over deep fryers and rotting meat in a cramped cubbyhole
(negative) net wages a lot of the time since your revenue that day/week/month didn't cover expenses
(0) real management experience
(0) financial backup
(possibly 0) other workers? loving lol two people managing everything full time?

Mix it all together, add in plenty of sleep deprivation and stress, stew in your own juices and voila ! A perfect recipe for divorce!
Serves: you (right)

Masterful

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah, I'm tired. And no one who isn't being stupid here is wrong.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Dr. Tommy John posted:

to be honest i am a little high and zoned out to this post in a pleasant daydream about how i could get suckers to give me money via ePanhandling.

go to the loving bank and get a loan like a big boy, you lazy goddamned chode

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Butcher posted:

Also the Canadian economy is probably going to continue to poo poo the bed further for the next year or longer, so commercial rents will probably be even more affordable if you hold off until you have a decent cash reserve to start with.

A bed making GBS threads economy may also have significant impacts on profit margins for a brand new restaurant if enough people start feeling crunched for income.

His post was a clever plan to get his hand on some valuable US dollars since CAD is making GBS threads the bed.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Would it be better if I outright said that if this fails we will borrow the money from a bank?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I'll fund your entire thing if you let me come impregnate your fiancé. This is a legit offer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bring back mod challenges

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

bring back mod challenges

Thought about it, but couldn't think of anything that was thematically appropriate and wasn't icky. So I just probated his rear end.

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
I'll be in Toronto from feb 24th to march 1st, so sorry I can't be an akward nerd at you irl.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
OP several ppl (including me) have stod up for you and donated (believing in ur dream) yet you only choose to respond to neg-trolls trying to neg your dream :(

i think u have alot to learn in engaging ur fan base

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Would it be better if I outright said that if this fails we will borrow the money from a bank?

Honestly it was more dignified when it seemed like you just had bad credit.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Banks expect a real business proposal as part of the small business loan underwriting process.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Looks like most of the backers are friends pity donating $100 bucks. No wonder the OP decided to try his luck in GBS. I thought it was going to do ok, until I looked at the donation breakdown.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
gently caress your hotdog stand

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i don't think op is a real doctor

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

OP, if you're making legit filipino food you should be using your mom's kitchen and also your mom should be making it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

whoflungpoop posted:

it wont happen like that. itll happen slowly, like a frog(dog) being slowly boiled to death, and every month the numbers will look worse and extra expenses will pop up and you'll get to the point where you have to compromise and roll back parts of your ~master plan~ but not in a way that recoups any useful amount of your original investment

and then non business normal life unforeseen expenses will also pop up and the ball gets bigger and faster and thanks to your apparently sucky credit history you wont be able to get another lifeline to keep up and you'll be at the point where that cushy full time office job would seem really nice to get back if only you had the time to work it but you wont because you and your fiance will be busy 12-14 hours a day working diligently toward financial doom and failure, and all because you thought working in a loving food stand for :siren: a whole year :siren: and "knowing people" somehow makes you different than any other delusional impatient jackass millennial who's decided that any kind of work that doesnt immediately realize his impractical dreams is just like, beneath him man

notice how i didnt use any empty business lingo or strategically bolded words? these words are real life words used by people who arent full of poo poo. take your business planning skills and use them to chart out how you're going to grow up, be a loving man, secure your own means, and be happy with the job you have while you gain valuable experience in how life actually works

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

also one mor ething, my brother is a relaly big instagrammer so if you send me money for his plane ticket and hotel, i can ensure he makes your food really popular on the internet

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

genesplicer posted:

Thought about it, but couldn't think of anything that was thematically appropriate and wasn't icky. So I just probated his rear end.

All I want is an HD video of him making an eggroll while repeating the handful of tagalog words he knows over and over.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

whoflungpoop posted:

swbm could u please let the op keep his thread closed?

His last few replies cracked through my bitter eggroll shell and I felt a glimmer of pity for him............. but then I remembered how bad phillipeno food was

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
wishful thinking piled high

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Susmaryosep. I will only donate if OP shows his Filipino cred with a picture of a giant wooden spoon and fork hanging in his kitchen.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
op take pictures of all your possessions and do a garage sale itt if you want to make some cash

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dr. Tommy John posted:

E: and I hardly posted this here expecting this

This is how we know your business is doomed.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

a starwar betamax posted:

His last few replies cracked through my bitter eggroll shell and I felt a glimmer of pity for him............. but then I remembered how bad phillipeno food was

its not all bad but ang baho

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Okay

Lets pass the hat around, send him and his partners to reform Alabama. They guest cook at doobies. if they can make it in the dog shack they can make it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

im sorry i didnt mean to suggest to him to do something (close the thread) if it meant that he would get probated, i figured since no one banned him for even posting it that the mods really didnt care

it was the one piece of advice he took :(

• Locked thread