Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

drat y'all flipped on this show hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scyantific posted:

drat y'all flipped on this show hard.

The amount we like the show is inversely proportional to how much stupid soap opera melodrama they put it in. I know it's the CW, but this was bad even for them.

I guess all that emo we had to jettison from Arrow had to go somewhere. Hopefully Barry burned it out of the show with pure goesfastium and we can get back to what we love about it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Uh newsflash the emo poo poo is still on Arrow

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol people really think that telling someone a super secret that if the wrong person knows would instantly be a wrap for the hero is an easy choice.

They've literally known each other for like maybe half a year lol. I'd have to be dating a chick longer than a half year or prepared to marry a chick to revealing deep dark and personal secrets lol.

Iris and all of them, sure I get the anger at not telling her they've known each other for years and were p much inseparable.

Hand wringing over telling Patty I totally get.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Chokes McGee posted:

I've kind of gotten to the point now that whenever stupid CW super hero secret drama pops up I automatically assume it blows up in the hero's face.

Seriously. Smallville managed to do it for 9 loving years. Finally, in season 10 everyone that mattered knew his secret, then the show ended. I don't know why I thought this show would be any different. Supergirl did it right by just having all of the important characters find out her identity in the first episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barry needs to get better at lying if he can't tell her. Work out an intricate web of lies with everyone backing him up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Super Dude posted:

Seriously. Smallville managed to do it for 9 loving years. Finally, in season 10 everyone that mattered knew his secret, then the show ended. I don't know why I thought this show would be any different. Supergirl did it right by just having all of the important characters find out her identity in the first episode.

The great part about that is there are literally people who are figuring out who she is that they have to convince otherwise. And that Alex and J'onn both called her out on being horrible at keeping secrets. :q:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Barry needs to get better at lying if he can't tell her. Work out an intricate web of lies with everyone backing him up.

The mom's murder thing for the nightmares was inspired as all hell. If not a bit gauche.

But honestly his lie game has been on point his only flaws being the soup lie that required Joe to know the exact lie he told.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

GOD loving drat IT SHOW

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That episode was pretty bullshit.

They better pull a complete 180 soon, because goddamn, Patty's great and they're completely wasting her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kammat posted:

DAFUQ.

ew.

I assume that's a chunk of brain matter that he extracted that's probably eliminated the Turtle for good rather than keeping him around just in case.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
:lol: Thank you whoever you are.

What a disappointing episode.

Edit: :lol: SHE'S LEAVING CENTRAL CITY

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 20, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://twitter.com/Stuntshreck/status/689662299842314240 A clip that's better than that whole episode

The thing with Wells that they're doing is really dumb as well. They wanna make it come across so gripping and dramatic that Dr. Wells is secretly experimenting on Gitmo prisoners but it's literally? The exact same? loving thing? He did last year. So who actually cares?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BrianWilly posted:

The thing with Wells that they're doing is really dumb as well. They wanna make it come across so gripping and dramatic that Dr. Wells is secretly experimenting on Gitmo prisoners but it's literally? The exact same? loving thing? He did last year. So who actually cares?
He never really experimented on the meta-human prisoners last year, with the exception of taking Blackout's blood (which never lead anywhere so who cares) and I think it's a nice short scene to emphasis how serious Wells is compared to the rest of the team about freeing his daughter. I'm definitely expecting him to go the tragic villain route at the end of the day, or sacrificing himself in order to keep his daughter safe.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

A long distance relationship isn't an issue if you can get there in 10 minutes! Solve your soap opera melodrama with super hero powers! Come on!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Holy poo poo they made Wally a troubled black youth with a criminal history. They really did it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Setting up the eventual Flash/Fast n Furious crossover.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

hi liter posted:

Holy poo poo they made Wally a troubled black youth with a criminal history. They really did it.

Don't worry some quality time with Barry "The whitest man alive" Allen will sort out that young negro urban youth.

I hope that was some DC muscle flexing to push the comic and not actually a choice the writers made willingly.

Did the actress that plays Patty get an offer for another show or something?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MacheteZombie posted:

Gone in 0.60 Seconds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patty isn't actually leaving you idiots. Have you never seen TV before?

She's going to die, obviously.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

Barry you gotta challenge and defeat Zoom at drifting! It's the only way to stop him!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Gone in 0.60 Seconds.

The Flash and the Furious
2 Flash 2 Furious

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I look forward to the kryptonite-powered nitrous.

#deepcuts

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Patty isn't actually leaving you idiots. Have you never seen TV before?

She's going to die, obviously.

She is leaving. She was only contracted for a set amount of episodes and is filming (or filmed) a new pilot. They decided not to renew her contract due to the response at comic con (0 cheers when announced, vs the crowd going wild 10 secs later when they announced Wally), the response from cw fans (aka shippers) and the end game they have planned (Kreisberg, Grant and Candice have all said Iris is The One. They just want to draw it out for "six or seven seasons"*). Apparently AJK's wife is also an Iris fan which probably has nothing to do with anything but lol.

*actual quote

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
That is a relief. I was afraid they'd try to write her back in using the 'Hot Pursuit' storyline.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly it's a shame that crazy shippers ruined Patty's chances. It'd be nice for her to at least come back as a CSI like in the comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was a terrible episode in every way.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Honestly it's a shame that crazy shippers ruined Patty's chances. It'd be nice for her to at least come back as a CSI like in the comics.

I disagree. Iris and Barry are an iconic comic couple. Making Iris black and then not having them end up together would be a huge mistake. Black women in media are rarely seen as desirable and a sizeable portion of Flash fans are actually black girls. That would be a huge gently caress you to them and reinforce the idea that black women can not be love interests.

This article goes into it a lot more: http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/the-power-of-black-women-in-fandom/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Koalas March posted:

Iris and Barry are an iconic comic couple.
The show's going to have to work very, very hard to undue the residual taste of Lana-Iris from the first season.

But we'll probably get a year or two of Iris feeling guilty for Eddie, then slowly coming around to Barry when he's in yet another unavailable relationship position. Agh.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think what really hurt this episode was it being the one coming immediately after the break. We've had episodes that have been this rough before but after a month off coming back to this was tough. The Wally stuff pretty much ended the episode where it started, he's still getting to know everyone but might be willing to give it a try and hey we know he's into street racing now I guess. The stuff with Patty was just lovely and if that's where they end the storyline then having her go from upbeat about their relationship to deeply concerned to leaving in just an episode feels underdone. Caitlin flipping out on a guy she's been flirting with (admittedly fairly intensely) because he didn't reveal he's dying feels like it's selling her character out pretty hard too. I'm sure you could write it off as being related to the loss of Ronnie but eh. I'm sure they'll come back strong next week, if anything else this show doesn't seem to get stuck in a rut like S3 of Arrow did.

Edit: Oh and nice job whoever put up the satellite info at the start of the show, took me back to the days when wildfeeds were viable

J33uk fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 20, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And sadly I was right. I hated Wally.

I almost want to say he is worse then the current comic version from what I have seen of him so far.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Is Patty really leaving the show? That seems like a huge waste to me; she and Grant have great chemistry and her character is a total badass. Especially if Barry isn't going to end up with Iris for six or seven seasons, a full season or 2 of Patty wouldn't interfere with that.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
This episode was horrible and did they fire whoever came up with Iris and Joe for the pilot? Because every black person on the show since then has been terrible racist stereotypes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't hate that they made Wally a racer. It's a neat, CWified way to highlight his love of mechanics and to milk some of that sweet F&F hype. It honestly makes so much sense that I'm a little miffed at myself for not having expected it.

What I hated was this hackneyed whiney angry black teenage anger-whine at the absentee father thing that doesn't even make sense. Why is he angry! Joe didn't abandon him! "Oooh you're such a great cop" just shut uuup

I will say I legit laughed at the "white shadow" bit, though. I wasn't proud, but I laughed.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Patty Spivot and Barry actually had chemistry. Even when given hackey rom-com stuff they really did a good job of elevating the material.

Her introduction was a lone bright spot of gravity when the show seemed spiralling out of control next to endless talk of Earth 2 and new character 73 and endless machinations earlier this year.

Putting her on a bus makes no drat sense in any way, shape, or form.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm hoping this was our "Bees" episode for the season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koalas March posted:

She is leaving. She was only contracted for a set amount of episodes and is filming (or filmed) a new pilot. They decided not to renew her contract due to the response at comic con (0 cheers when announced, vs the crowd going wild 10 secs later when they announced Wally), the response from cw fans (aka shippers) and the end game they have planned (Kreisberg, Grant and Candice have all said Iris is The One. They just want to draw it out for "six or seven seasons"*). Apparently AJK's wife is also an Iris fan which probably has nothing to do with anything but lol.

*actual quote

I didn't say she's staying permanently, but they're not having her just leave for school. This isn't a 90s sitcom.

...actually no, it pretty much was. So maybe.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 20, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I hope they introduce Hot Pursuit soon so he can jump over King Shark.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I don't hate that they made Wally a racer. It's a neat, CWified way to highlight his love of mechanics and to milk some of that sweet F&F hype. It honestly makes so much sense that I'm a little miffed at myself for not having expected it.

What I hated was this hackneyed whiney angry black teenage anger-whine at the absentee father thing that doesn't even make sense. Why is he angry! Joe didn't abandon him! "Oooh you're such a great cop" just shut uuup

I will say I legit laughed at the "white shadow" bit, though. I wasn't proud, but I laughed.

Eh, that's a super common thing with single mother households with a son , even if Joe did nothing wrong. The son feels the need to be the "protector" and "man" of the house because there is no other option, and having the father who was never there and you built up as a villian in your head your whole life step in suddenly and try and solve all your problems while lecturing your life choices in one fell swoop is going to meet heavy resistance. Mostly Wally was angry at being lectured at by a man who he literally just met earlier that week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Wally not reacting well to a lecture from somebody he's known for a day or two is totally reasonable and led to a good character moment with Joe. Too bad basically all the rest of that plot kinda sucked.

• Locked thread