Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

HenryEx posted:

"Keeper runs are so boring"

*posts about how he tailors his keeper runs for maximum boredom*

May i also suggest a hot tip for playing The Lost:
Hold R until the Curse Room next to you has Dead Cat.

Oh, I don't grind for it. I just almost never make it past depths without it. Exception was my first clear through the cathedral/chest, pyro/bob's brain/sad bombs/other poo poo that goes boom, but that's victory for anything other than the lost so I'm not really impressed with myself for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dias posted:

Nowadays I just reroll for a damage up on the first floor because enemy health got bloated as gently caress.
This is a bigger problem than The Lost/The Keeper. BoI was already a pretty sluggish game a lot of the time, and now there's a lot more champion enemies and a lot more tanky enemies in general... skull dudes that only can be hurt when they pop up, and then also have more HP, and then also move so they make positioning more awkward and are in rooms full of turrets which make it take longer to approach them... big bats which have a fuckton of HP which would already make them take a long time to kill, and then also they try to position themselves diagonally to you which makes them take longer to kill since you can't hit them repeatedly that much... mulligans which spawn worm enemies which have more than double the HP of the flies/spiders that the normal ones spawn, and come in multiples in one room, and release suicide bullets when hit so you have to take more time being careful killing them... and giant versions of enemies at random with even more extra HP than champions... big rooms everywhere, full of said enemies... etc ad infinitum.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Maybe don't play the video game then?

SirSamVimes posted:

This thread got hilariously mad about the existence of super hard characters instead of just not playing them. Nearly as funny as the stopwatch meltdowns.

:agreed:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
In a game that can be patched at the will of the developers I think criticism is a valid and probably welcome thing for the devs to make an overall better experience for the player. If the playerbase unanimously dislikes something then it should be changed.

Responding to said criticisms by claiming "we're not game DEVELOPERS, we just make games" and giving your players the finger is probably not the best avenue to gaining respect and compliments.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

So don't play it and don't buy his next game, vote with your wallet.

quote:

I loving hate this bullshit game

*bangs head against wall trying to 100% it because ______*

quote:

The keeper and the lost are dumb and not fun!

*continues playing them over and over and over*

mcvey fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 19, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think he ever said he hated the game. Your second point is almost a point, if it weren't for 90% of the answers to that type of post being "yeah, they're bullshit, just avoid them like me/resign yourself to the fact you're gonna bash your head on that wall hundreds of times like I did".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SirSamVimes posted:

This thread got hilariously mad about the existence of super hard characters instead of just not playing them. Nearly as funny as the stopwatch meltdowns.

If the super hard characters didn't suck poo poo from a design perspective I don't think people would be complaining about their existence

mcvey posted:

"vote with your wallet" is a seriously poorly thought-out fallacy, do you actually think that will change anything

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 19, 2016

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

CJacobs posted:

"vote with your wallet" is a seriously poorly thought-out fallacy, do you actually think that will change anything

Works great for me personally.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mcvey posted:

Vote with your wallet and stop contributing with the thread then. :smug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mcvey posted:

So, no, you just said it because you felt like it'd be snappy/witty, then

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

CJacobs posted:

So, no, you just said it because you felt like it'd be snappy/witty, then
...what? If I don't like a game or I'm not enjoying my time spent on it I'm probably not going to continue playing it or spend money on the next iteration.

Maybe 'vote with your wallet' was the wrong phrase?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Lost is cool and good. The Keeper is awful.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mcvey posted:

...what? If I don't like a game or I'm not enjoying my time spent on it I'm probably not going to continue playing it or spend money on the next iteration.

Okay, I'll sit down and assume you're ACTUALLY trying to have a conversation here, and it's not just a drive-by shitpost spree.

People still enjoy the base game. I know I do. However, there are quite a number of (perceived or evident) flaws with some elements of it that we end up complaining about because a bunch of people here put 100+ hours into this stupid game. I mentioned the health bloat on enemies, which makes the early game a slog unless you luck into a good damage up. Other people mentioned The Lost, whose original design was meant as a final challenge, but due to how the game works, just meant many runs were dead on the water due to unavoidable damage rooms. In my opinion, he's fine now. The Keeper is a similar issue, but he's mostly just boring to play as: slow as molasses with no advantages whatsoever.

Then there are the complaints about Nicalis, which are valid to an extent. They do terrible PR and hide behind the "we're not game developers" excuse for fuckin' poo poo up and then taking their sweet time to fix it. I mean, that happened with Team Meat on Super Meat Boy too, the online EVERYTHING was broken. Ed has also balanced the game towards more "difficulty", which ends up translating into more randomness, longer runs and less powerful item combinations.

Is that a bunch of dumb nerd whining? Yeah. But I don't think people that are still playing are having a horrible time, unless they're those dumb masochist completionist that HAVE to do Hush with The Lost and get all items.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mcvey posted:

Your original statement implied you were saying "vote with your wallet" with regards to doing so affecting the quality of whatever game they do the code for next, which it won't because voting with your wallet means nothing when tens of thousands of people buy the game anyway as is always the case with the phrase "vote with your wallet".

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
These metldowns over people complaining about various aspects of this game are pretty hilarious. Keep up the good work.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Well the point with not playing them is that you miss out on some good items.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Just like to say I like this game and am bad at it.

Also yesterday's daily hosed me over on the first floor. The room with the jumpy guys on fire... two got stuck together behind some rocks and I didn't have any bombs. I spent 10 minutes trying to see if they could wiggle out but I gave up.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
You can like most of the game and get annoyed and frustrated with parts that might be unfair and you hate those parts. It doesn't mean you hate the whole thing. But people have a hard time understanding this. I imagine posting about it in here is just a way of venting. When I was a kid playing NES I would vent by biting the controller so my controllers were covered in bite marks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is disappointing that criticism can't exist in a realm that isn't "everything is bad" or "everything is good."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

It is disappointing that criticism can't exist in a realm that isn't "everything is bad" or "everything is good."

Everything is terrible!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Ugh, ruined a perfect anti-Hush build as Keeper. I had Chocolate Milk and was eating through his health fast by mashing the shooting key. I didn't have the speed to outrun his eye lasers.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
started trying my luck with the speed challenge. i set a new personal best by dying in 22 seconds

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think we can all agree that "special" items are a dumb idea and that the mod that merges all item pools is the best thing in existence, and makes Greed mode fun.

also lmao skunkrocker

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 20, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I think the Keeper is great.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

I think the Keeper is great.

please don't troll

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like it's a bit unfair to put it like that.

Pre-Afterbirth, The lost would have been a super difficult character to win runs with even if the game had actually been fair. It would have required a ton of skill to fill out his post it notes and unlock five really cool items (and also isaac's heart I guess), and I don't think people would have complained about it as much as they did, had it been fair. This entire game is built around doing runs through different paths with characters you may or may not like playing as so you can use the items you unlock by doing so with the characters you do like.

The thing is though, it wasn't fair. Daddy Long Legs could end your run at any point if he felt like it with his random stomps, where I feel the need to mention his foot's hitbox is present before the foot actually appears on screen. Isaac's beams of light in his second phase (after he stands up, not the ones that sweep from corner to corner) were totally random and could kill your run by spawning right on top of you. Lumps could pop up directly underneath you and kill you instantly. The wall spiders that shot mini brimstone lasers started moving before their laser vanished which was awful enough, but meant that the room where you came in from the top and had two on either side below you was a death sentence unless you could kill at least one fast enough. This is on top of all the actual, legit challenge from playing a character that died in one hit anyway. Even if you had an amazing build or were a super great player every time you encountered any one of those things your run was straight up over, gently caress you try again. Lost runs basically required resetting until you started next to a decent damage up/dead cat/holy mantle not because those items were powerful but because you needed some kind of insurance in case the game decided to end your run without you having any say in the matter. It's the direct opposite of the rest of the game where some rooms might be hard, but good playing can get you out of situations you otherwise have no business surviving.

Then on top of all this they took over half a year to fix those problems and then only fixed the ones related to normal enemies. Daddy Long Legs and Isaac could still end your run if the game rolled the dice the wrong way. It took until Afterbirth for them to fix the remaining problems and they did so by letting you start with holy mantle which fixes the problem by letting you soak a hit of unfair damage, so you most likely won't see an unfair attack more than once because most people don't have ninja reflexes so most lost builds are stupid powerful and can probably kill a boss before it recycles an unfair attack.

Now, it was still funny as hell watching everyone collectively lose their poo poo over the lost. I'm just saying people might have had a decent reason for it.

...I didn't mean for this to turn into an effortpost about the lost but here it is I guess.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any disadvantage to using characters other than Isaac? I played Magdalene for the first time today and the extra health made it an easier experience than normal.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Every character has a gimmick of some sort. Maggie is slow but tanky, some others have transformations, others have spirit hearts only etc.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
All characters have a gimmick that can change the way you go about a run. Some characters have entirely different playstyles, like Lilith.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BillmasterCozb posted:

I think we can all agree that "special" items are a dumb idea and that the mod that merges all item pools is the best thing in existence, and makes Greed mode fun.

also lmao skunkrocker

Doesn't Chaos do this too?

To be honest every time I pick up Chaos I end up killing my run because instead of a cool boss item i get the deck of cards or somethin

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Finally got around to doing the Lost stuff and unlocking godhead. I thought greed mode would be the hardest part but actually had more trouble doing boss rush.

Getting to the hush in time is still easy, but man does hard mode make for some painfully slow starts. You get like twice the large rooms and the first two floors take forever with the lost because you can't afford to play fast and loose.

voltcatfish posted:

To be honest every time I pick up Chaos I end up killing my run because instead of a cool boss item i get the deck of cards or somethin
My rule with chaos is if I still need tears ups and there's more boss rooms left I don't pick it up. If I have at least one solid tears up, or something like ipecac/mom's knife then I'll take chaos. I love chaos, but I hate playing out runs where I get plenty of damage but no tear ups and the game turns into a crawl by the womb.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
survived speed with half of a heart and 50 seconds left. hit brimstone + rubber cement + my reflection and was fortunate enough to get a devil room bible :shepface:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I agree with the way Wrist Watch puts it. Skill is one thing, but sometimes you just walk into a room with a mulliboom right next to the door. I admit cheating Lost through the boss rush in Rebirth, because the waves with Bloat, or Gish/Monstro2 were BULL poo poo.
Version 1.666 of the flash game, BoI Eternal Edition, is "hard" in a fair way. Harder enemies and bosses instead of death rooms coupled with one-hit characters.

I enjoy playing Lost in Afterbirth, and sometimes Keeper after the sac room buffs. Like WW stated, as far as unavoidable damage there's a HUGE difference between one hit death and two hit death.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Boss Rush as The Lost is so, so frustrating. I have all the hard mode post its unlocked for The Lost except this loving Boss Rush. The last three times I've made it to the rush I've had curse of darkness and die to a spider I can't even see. Ugh!

:negative:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I agree with the way Wrist Watch puts it. Skill is one thing, but sometimes you just walk into a room with a mulliboom right next to the door. I admit cheating Lost through the boss rush in Rebirth, because the waves with Bloat, or Gish/Monstro2 were BULL poo poo.
Version 1.666 of the flash game, BoI Eternal Edition, is "hard" in a fair way. Harder enemies and bosses instead of death rooms coupled with one-hit characters.

I enjoy playing Lost in Afterbirth, and sometimes Keeper after the sac room buffs. Like WW stated, as far as unavoidable damage there's a HUGE difference between one hit death and two hit death.

Doesn't Eternal make enemies more tanky and damage ups more scarce? Personally I'd rather deal with more dangerous enemies rather than longer lasting ones.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Frankly I'm having more trouble getting to Mega Satan with the Lost than the Boss Rush. Having to pass on Devil Deals entirely because you can't utilize sacrifice rooms really makes getting a ridiculous killer build a lot harder, and also makes it more difficult to get a Dead Cat as insurance because I'm bad at the game.

Boss Rush is easy with any character really unless you're trying to break the game or maximize your gains from every floor. Save all keys for item room, find item room, find boss room, leave. Anything else is useless unless you've collected enough money to go to the store, then go to the store if you found it along the way already. Actually completing the boss rush is an entirely different story of course, it can range from hard to so easy I might die from inattentiveness depending on your build.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jibo posted:

Doesn't Eternal make enemies more tanky and damage ups more scarce? Personally I'd rather deal with more dangerous enemies rather than longer lasting ones.

I was going to write a post about all the dumb things in eternal but I looked it up to double check and it was worse than I remembered:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/34nekw/changes_to_the_item_poolsspecial_items_in_the_new/
https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/34o6gu/complete_list_of_changes_in_hardmode_besides/

Or if you prefer video form I recommend Bisnap because he doesn't do gimmicks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkS6c-VLUg

If nothing else just watch from the beginning up until around 1:50 which is basically the entire thing in a nutshell.

e: actually after rewatching that for a bit there were a bunch of legit cool things Eternal added, it's just that the bad things stand out a lot. that's kind of binding of isaac in a nutshell: there's a whole lot of really good stuff so the things that are actually poo poo are super obvious when you come across them

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 21, 2016

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
If you don't grab the giant yellow chest at the end of a run, and go searching for a trapdoor to a lower level, will you miss out on unlocking the item in the chest?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nope, as long as you beat the requisite boss you will get the unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mcvey posted:

I already uninstalled and said earlier in this thread that if the game makes you annoyed/isn't much fun anymore you should too, you're preaching to the choir