Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sfx: weeble wobble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'M PT CRUISER!!!!

:smith:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think I'll go with Nissan Homy Super Long. :smug:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

7c Nickel posted:

I think I'll go with Nissan Homy Super Long. :smug:

Is that one of those ironic names like calling a big guy tiny?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My name's V. W. Beetle.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I hope there's room for Chaika Trabant

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It'll be worth it for a cameo from Ford Prefect.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

The title is ridiculously long, translated it's: When a Gun Nerd is Reincarnated to a World of Magic, He established a Harem army with Modern Weapons!?

It's only at 6 chapters right now, and the harem army only has one member. No more fanservice or harem plot than Danmachi either, for those put off by that sort of thing. Main love interest is a dog girl, the premise is your standard "Guy transported into a fantasy setting because some dude stabbed him." setup.

Also, my car name is Mars Volta.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im namtab

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Namtab posted:

im namtab

but how's your gas mileage

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NowonSA posted:

The title is ridiculously long, translated it's: When a Gun Nerd is Reincarnated to a World of Magic, He established a Harem army with Modern Weapons!?

It's only at 6 chapters right now, and the harem army only has one member. No more fanservice or harem plot than Danmachi either, for those put off by that sort of thing. Main love interest is a dog girl, the premise is your standard "Guy transported into a fantasy setting because some dude stabbed him." setup.

Also, my car name is Mars Volta.

All you need is more revolvers.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
3 revolvers aimed straight at my cock.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

3 revolvers aimed straight at my cock.

If you want results you have to live dangerously.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Those aren't the results I want though

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

MrCinos posted:

Helck:

Somewhat scrathces the same itch as OPM at first, but becomes more and more complex as it goes (in a good way). It has plenty of funny moments, good world building with a decent intrigue going on and rather nice character development so far.

Helck is fantastic..

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Blhue posted:

Is that one of those ironic names like calling a big guy tiny?

Dammit.. I knew I should have gone with Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard. No one could make fun of that name!

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 17, 2016

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.

Captain Invictus posted:

The Ancient Magus Bride, a series about a girl with a terminally powerful magical strength that will one day kill her, and the man(?) who saved her from a human auction where she would have been sold as a wizard's experimental tool. It follows them as she begins her journey on becoming a magic user, and learns about the world of the fey and supernatural, as well as Elias as he tries to find a way to cure her of her deadly magic. It's a very serene, somewhat melancholic series, but also has plenty of hope to it, and the setpieces in this very-much-european supernatural world of mages and fairies are gorgeous, often carrying a sense of danger or dread alongside them at the same time.

I've been following this for awhile and I also really recommend it. The art and story are fantastic.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Pretty sure it's been posted in this thread a lot but Golden Kamuy has had some more TLs recently and I really wanted to post proof of Ainu cultural superiority:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Golden Kamui is fantastic because at first you think it's gonna be this dark and gritty action-packed historical piece but 90% of the time it's just Sugimoto being a complete doof while Asirpa lectures him on Ainu customs and traditions in between convincing him to eat weird stuff.

Translations are picking up for it so if there's enough interest I might even make a thread.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I don't give a poo poo about convoluted human skin tattooed treasure maps, but Ainu is cool people. Should have just made Chillin with Ainu the comic.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm really loving the cultural ambassador thing this is doing for the Ainu. I wonder how well it's doing with the Japanese market, and whether the Japanese are as depressingly racist about them as Canadians or Australians are about our natives.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Prison School

and the obligatory

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

He's wrong

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

He's wrong

you're wrong

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

Namtab posted:

He's wrong

He's not wrong.

But there is no rule that an imitation cannot defeat the original.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Prison School

and the obligatory

Helck is fantastic

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope the vice president gets through all this alright and lives a happy life. Everyone else can gently caress right off.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Captain Invictus posted:

Prison School

and the obligatory

Why do people keep trying to get me to read this fetish comic?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's only ironically fetishistic.

*100 pages of sweaty, pulsating butts.*

He's just trying to make ends meet so he can fund his Southern Blues comic thing that nobody reads.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh good, I was worried someone was going to challenge me over the literary content of gyrating tripple D's.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Oh good, I was worried someone was going to challenge me over the literary content of gyrating tripple D's.

There is no need to challenge, for it is self evident.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

It's only ironically fetishistic.

*100 pages of sweaty, pulsating butts.*

He's just trying to make ends meet so he can fund his Southern Blues comic thing that nobody reads.

Talking vaginas

It's not ironic, but it is self aware in a fantastic way

Also, tits

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

:yeah:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Golden Kamui is fantastic because at first you think it's gonna be this dark and gritty action-packed historical piece but 90% of the time it's just Sugimoto being a complete doof while Asirpa lectures him on Ainu customs and traditions in between convincing him to eat weird stuff.

Translations are picking up for it so if there's enough interest I might even make a thread.

Me And The Devil Blues is something he really does love doing, he was sad when he had to stop, but he has his roots as a wierd comedy artist so he also likes doing the prison school comic too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Acting like Me And The Devil Blues is ancillary is lame, just because nobody is bothering to translate it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Talking vaginas

It's not ironic, but it is self aware in a fantastic way

Also, tits

Sharkopath posted:

Me And The Devil Blues is something he really does love doing, he was sad when he had to stop, but he has his roots as a wierd comedy artist so he also likes doing the prison school comic too.

Sharkopath posted:

Acting like Me And The Devil Blues is ancillary is lame, just because nobody is bothering to translate it.
I haven't read either of them and don't know much about the author in general, I was just jokingly referencing this post from forever ago:

pentyne posted:

There's not enough emphasis of Me and the Devil Blues.

Literally everything about Prison school seemed like "Okay you fuckers, my dream manga got cancelled because it wasn't 'mainstream', well then I'll give you exactly what you disgusting assholes want, and I will push every boundary I can out of spite and shove every kind of fanservice possible down your throats,"

It's literally the most blatant successful cash-in to finance a passion project I've ever seen and I wholly expect the author to secure a Devils Blue contract and then wrap up Prison School in a few chapters with a giant "gently caress you" to its fans.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
If he actually was doing it to finance other projects, this would have been a terrible idea. He's now a victim of his own success and just like toriyama will never be allowed to do anything else. And if he does nobody will care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
No that was just an old adtrw fan-theory so people could read a smutty thing without thinking they were weird

• Locked thread