Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

NikkolasKing posted:

Although the post above mentioning getting stagger to 999%, I never understood that percentage stuff. I mean, I understand filling the chain gauge but what does the percentage mean? How long they stay staggered?

It is a literal damage multiplier. 200% stagger means all your attacks do twice as much damage, 300% triples it, etc, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's the best feeling in the world just watching those numbers climb higher and higher and higher.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The best feeling is dropping max damage on a Long Gui with 999% stagger and Highwind.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The best feeling is going "gently caress it" and just casting death on the Neochu instead

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Gentlemen, I like numbers.

Gentlemen, I love numbers!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As a child of both DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh I also love numbers going up.

Although, on the topic of Fang - someone did mention her ultimate move - one thing I did remember about XIII is how they try to make her and Cid look like villains for the first few times you see them. Then the manual for the game goes and ruins that. That's kinda funny.

Also I had no idea Vanille was supposed to be 19. Everyone, including Snow, refers to both her and Hope as "the kids." So I just kinda guessed she was Hope's age or a year older. I guess in relative terms five years isn't that big an age gap but it is for mid teens to late teens. If she looks 19, I can't really tell.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Eh, she seems believable enough as a 19 year old. What's weirder is that Snow is apparently supposed to be around that age too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Don't fall into the JRPG age discussion pit again, it's a long fall down.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Momomo posted:

Eh, she seems believable enough as a 19 year old. What's weirder is that Snow is apparently supposed to be around that age too.

He certainly behaves like a 19 year old prick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Snow looks the same as a college sports player, "kid" is never not appropriate. I've seen a 25 year old call a 26 year old "kid" just because he's been working less years at a place.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

He certainly behaves like a 19 year old prick.

Now, it's all opinion on whether or not you like his character but I don't see how Snow qualifies as any definition of "prick." He's easily the nicest person in all of XIII.

Tae posted:

Snow looks the same as a college sports player, "kid" is never not appropriate. I've seen a 25 year old call a 26 year old "kid" just because he's been working less years at a place.

Sazh does call him out on this. Basically says "you're a kid, too."

I'm liking Sazh more this run because I know where he's coming from at the start. Hindsight helps a lot of things make more sense in this game. To me, anyway.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 20, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sorry, prick is not the right word. Just that I thought "kid" would look weird next to "19 year old". Then again, probably not much really.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

Gentlemen, I love numbers!

We're in the best thread.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sazh calls Vanille a kid because of a combination of her mannerisms, and her apparent age in relation to his.

Lightning could technically be a kid to him but she doesn't act like one (most of the time).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm pretty sure Lightning would rearrange Snow's face if he ever called her a kid.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

They're exactly the same age too so it wouldn't really work.

New gameplay question, though. I'm not at this part yet but I was thinking ahead and I'm curious about something. Back when I first played the game and it opened up, I asked some people if I should unlock the new roles for different characters or focus on their existing paradigms. Everyone I talked to at the time told me that the additional roles were only really worth it for postgame/optional stuff.

Is this true? If not, what extra roles should I unlock? I'm still not sure what party I want to go with this run, though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Unlocking roles for your characters costs a shitload of CP when you first get it, so you probably won't bother with it at first. When I played, I got to the final dungeon before gaining abilities in those cost less then their main roles, and just gave them new stuff for fun. I'd say just look at the skills your characters can learn from their new role, and see if it's interesting to you. You never have to get them, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the side roles are pretty specifically post-game options because of their insane CP requirements.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If you want to pick a few specific ones, there are some good options. Lightning has Bravery and Faith as her first two synergist spells, Hope has Ruin as his first commando node, Sazh picks up Taunt and Steelguard in two sentinel tiers, and Fang has a full complement of the tier 1 spells on her first two ravager tiers.

E: For what it's worth though, I wouldn't worry about them until like, Chapter 11 or so (and even then only if you do a lot of hunts and have some spare CP to throw around). If you can grab Hope's Ruin in C10 I would absolutely do it though.

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 20, 2016

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I didn't bother with those until the main ones were maxed out. They're expensive and each character's secondary roles aren't as good as their main ones.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
As far as secondary roles go I like to get a particular smattering by the end of the game. Ravager for Fang is the only one you should really consider diverting attention from main roles to get but Saboteur for Lightning is pretty nice and Commando for both Hope and Vanille is incredibly helpful. Secondary roles are going to be role level deficient until post-game which is why I don't like dipping anyone into Synergist until then.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kanfy posted:

Don't fall into the JRPG age discussion pit again, it's a long fall down.

Nothing will ever beat citan from xenogears being a retired doctor who used to be a james bond spy and also 29

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZCpFatkMLw

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

NikkolasKing posted:

They're exactly the same age too so it wouldn't really work.

New gameplay question, though. I'm not at this part yet but I was thinking ahead and I'm curious about something. Back when I first played the game and it opened up, I asked some people if I should unlock the new roles for different characters or focus on their existing paradigms. Everyone I talked to at the time told me that the additional roles were only really worth it for postgame/optional stuff.

Is this true? If not, what extra roles should I unlock? I'm still not sure what party I want to go with this run, though.

It's totally worth it before post game in certain situations, depending on the party setup you are favoring most. Hope makes an amazing Commando because you can just give him a single level in it and he'll be able to spam Ruin with his ridiculous magic stat. Vanille has to invest a bit more but also makes a great Commando for similar reasons. Beyond that though, just take a look at what holes your preferred party setup has and fill them up. IE. I used Fang/Hope/Vanille in endgame and gave both Hope and Vanille COM levels so I had Triple COM available as a paradigm.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"Eidolons"

Actually, I knew them best as "Espers".

Galuf's like, 60. Tellah's 175. Yang is 43. Strago's pushing 37.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You're all wrong. The best FF13 feeling is returning it for a refund

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best feeling with FF13 is accepting Lightning as your lord, saviour and only good FF protagonist, thank you very much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The worst FF13 feeling is realizing you'll never get improvements to its well tuned battle system and that the good combat is trapped inside a godawful plot, universe, and endgame.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The best FF13 feeling is this fabulous Louis Vitton Jacket!

Give us a twirl Lightning!
http://i.imgur.com/cZxleVh.gifv

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I have just purchased and played 8 hours of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

I cannot believe it took me so long to play this game. I feel shame for not believing in Lightning.

I just killed the Last One of the behemoth family using Enthunder Potions and copious amounts of Overclock & Slayer and now I have a gigantic hot pink greatsword. Truly, this is the most favourable timeline.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Umm Louis Vuitton sells bags and small leather goods. Its like you don't even care what Lightning's day job is.

Barudak posted:

The worst FF13 feeling is realizing you'll never get improvements to its well tuned battle system and that the good combat is trapped inside a godawful plot, universe, and endgame.
We will never see good combat in a FF game again because they are crowd sourcing their systems decisions and the internet is decidedly cool on FF13 combat.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zedprime posted:

We will never see good combat in a FF game again because they are crowd sourcing their systems decisions and the internet is decidedly cool on FF13 combat.

didn't people like the combat in the XV demo?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought everyone said XIII-2 improved XIII's battle system. That was its biggest praise back when it first came out. Everyone said "you didn't like XIII? Play XIII-2, it fixed most of XIII's problems."

That all being said, I have only two complaints about XIII's battle system so far.

1. I cannot rely on the AI healer in a pinch. At least one AI healer. Maybe AI Medic works better if you have two of them. That's how I did things in my first run, anyway. But with only Vanille or Hope, better to just not get anywhere near dead at all costs.

2. The ranking system makes me frantic. I want dem five stars so I desperately attack attack ATTACK when the enemy is staggered, thinking "I ain't got time to heal!!!!" Then I die. I'd be more prudent if I wasn't being timed. But I am so gently caress, I actually lost to this easy boss at the theme park. I guess I was overthinking the boss since I only got 2 stars. I didn't need to buff myself or debuff it, apparently. Again, ranking system fucks me over for being prudent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought everyone said XIII-2 improved XIII's battle system. That was its biggest praise back when it first came out. Everyone said "you didn't like XIII? Play XIII-2, it fixed most of XIII's problems."

FFXIII-2, in a vacuum, fixed some problems with FFXIII's combat at the cost of being a tremendously unbalanced mess where those improvements don't matter unless you don't level your characters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

morallyobjected posted:

didn't people like the combat in the XV demo?
No, that's why they are releasing it with the two difficulty poo poo so you get a choice of active or less active combat.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I liked the combat in the FFXV demo, and I think I heard they made it more fluid based on feedback from the demo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

i still want this jacket

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The XV combat in general was pretty well-received, but there is still a ton of fine tuning they could be doing to it as the demo makes it seem very base. That other difficulty mode is more than likely there for the people who were put off by the game's becoming less and less turn-based, but there are very few people in the grand scheme who requested that or will use it.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I liked the combat in the FFXV demo, and I think I heard they made it more fluid based on feedback from the demo.

They did.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They made some probably good changes to the active combat, its just they also decided to make a whole differently controlling alternate mode. And well Square has problems with over ambition, like adding entirely different alternate modes to combat a year out from release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's hard to judge FFXV's combat because there was so little of it. You're fighting low-level mooks with non-customizable base abilities and the only real boss you fight is a gimmick designed to be probably oneshot by a summon