Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Luke doesn't need to have failed Ben, all that is necessary is that Ben believes Luke failed him somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

NecroMonster posted:

It's just funny I'm watching this movie and Maz shows up and I'm all ready to find out which sort of hackneyed racial stereotype she is and the very nearly first thing out of her mouth is a joke about Chewie being her boyfriend that could have come right out of the mouth of one of the two major Nun stereotypes in fiction.

Because she's pretty much the "magical negro" stereotype. Someone comparing her earlier to the Oracle in The Matrix was spot on.
I don't really see your priest/nun interpretation, she runs a bar and has made herself a saint.
When she takes off her glasses to talk to Rey she's a kindly old grandma with words of wisdom.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

NecroMonster posted:

Luke doesn't need to have failed Ben, all that is necessary is that Ben believes Luke failed him somehow.

That's fair. Hopefully Luke didn't finger him or anything, that's an EU plotline I'm not anxious to see rehashed.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Hopefully Luke didn't finger him

Excuse me?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MAZ KNEW

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

That one is simple. Luke gathered some people who knew about/of the Jedi ways to help him teach the new generation. Snoke was one of them.

Ah, and Max Von Sydow is another. The new Jedi order is in disarray after a school shooting, Luke disbands it and Max goes to Jakku.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Maz might have also been involved in the Jedi school.

But this is why leia and han know snoke by name and blame him for Ben's "fall". Because he was loving there and everyone knew him.

They are the New Order because they want to found a New Jedi Order.

Ben is desperate to follow in Vader's footsteps because he sees the final part of Anikens journy, the reforming of the Jedi Order, as incomplete, because Luke refused to actually bring it back "the way it was supposed to be".

He's upset because Luke(as) didn't give him the Starwars he wanted.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 20, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

I don't subscribe to the idea that Luke fell prey to PT mistakes. It's not like he just walked into a slave hut and picked up a mentally ill kid. His friends' child was having trouble and they looked to him for help; what was he going to do?

My guess is that, instead of the theory of Luke turning Ren into Space Cop, he was instead corrupted or secretly taught by Snoke during his time learning under Luke. How else would he be calable of fashioning, as the film notes slash art book calls it, an ancient sith-designed lightsaber?

It also sounds more reasonable when considering how Ren deifies Vader; a Ren that was corrupted Anakin style would get tricked once then go along because eh, nothing else to do, pissed off my friends. Ren's deal seems more like an attempt to live up to his family lineage, and when Luke didn't turn him into a righteous hand-chopping cop accepted Snokes' influence.

He certainly wasn't brainwashing them as little kids. What the prequels depict is that the Jedi orthodoxy really only takes root with the ones they do brainwash as little kids; as soon as they got someone who had lived a bit, their philosophy proved inadequate to help him deal with his own humanity, much less with the heavy expectations placed on him. Maybe if he'd brainwashed his nephew...? But, of course, the whole point of the character is that he wouldn't.

Luke surely attempted to hew closer to the Jedi ideal, but he tried to do it without a full understanding of how his predecessors hosed up so bad that they created an institution that twisted all their good intentions into actions that were the exact opposite of the right thing at every opportunity. Obi-Wan thought that the whole tragedy happened because he, himself, had failed to do right by Anakin, and he was still pretty gung-ho about the necessity of killing everybody called Darth. Yoda at least realized that everything he knew was wrong, but he just doubled down on the idea on detaching completely from worldly ties, which is something that's easy to say but didn't really help Anakin when he on ther verge of a nervous breakdown right there in his office.

Luke might find that there was once some substance to the Jedi ideal and identify the origin of the corruption. Or, more likely in my estimation, he will find nothing, but together with Rey will develop something new or at least develop the courage to keep trying to maintain light in the galaxy. A ballsy ending might be to dispense with the "Jedi" word, like how the new guys on the red team aren't Sith any more.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

I disagree, because I believe that the assertion that "perspectives are true" is not true. It seems to clear to me that people can be wrong in their subjectivity, even about interpretation of art. For example, it would be wrong to interpret The Scream, by Edvard Munch, as "representative of a sense of control, concreteness of one's view of self and exterior".

I see it as kind of like science. In science, you can't get "the answer". There's always an error bar on your measurements and calculations. You can say "this is probably true, because I am sure of it up to this point of accuracy". In science you don't get 100% right answers. And you don't get 100% wrong answers. But an answer that is very far from being true shouldn't be seen as true.

Like uh, the issue with galactic rotation velocity with respect to distance from the center. Our understanding of it in a Keplerian model was that it should drop off and get lower and lower the further you go out. But what we see with our eyes is that the rotational velocity of the galaxy stays almost constant all the way past where we'd expect it to drop. There's two particular explanations for this: one is MOND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics), which posits that our scientific theory for the law of gravitation is flawed in some way, especially at galactic-scale distances. The other one would be that there is a halo of "dark matter" surrounding the galaxy which interacts gravitationally with matter but does not interact with electromagnetic radiation (light), so we cannot observe it directly.

The first one sounds sensible, rational and logical. The second one is like what the gently caress, this is insane and makes no intuitive sense. You're just making poo poo up to solve your problem. But the more we study the universe, the more dark matter appears to be the best explanation for the problem.

There's never really a point where you can say "MOND is wrong", because the whole idea of MOND is a modification to what we assumed was true, and therefore we must alter our formulae to fit the data. But in science there's this idea of beauty, or elegance. A scientific theory is seen as beautiful and elegant if it is simple to express, mathematically or whatever. F = GMm/r^2 is a very nice and pretty equation, and it can be used to explain and model so much in our universe. MOND is not as pretty, it's got a lot of weird poo poo going on. MOND is like the theory that the earth is at the center of the universe. You can use it to explain stuff, sure, but they had to add these things called epicycles in order to match the theory to reality. But one set of epicycles didn't work. Nor did two, or three or four. Instead of a nice simple model of orbits in single paths going around with (relatively) simple dynamics, you have this big loving mess that STILL doesn't work as well as the beautiful, elegant theory that we use today.

This goes back to the discussion about "justification" earlier in the thread. In science it's somewhat easy to decide whether you've justified yourself or not. But in art, it's very difficult to say that, because of its complexity and because of dis-alignment of perspectives. The "meaning" of a work of art is not something we can study with instruments and make measurements upon, but the analogy is that the error bars on your scientific measurements show you that your knowledge is not absolute. The difference in interpretations of a work of art come about because there is a True Meaning. THe "problem" is that we can never know the True Meaning; it is out of our reach. Like the uncertainty principle in quantum theory, you can never know the exact value.

But this isn't an actual problem because knowing THE TRUTH is not what delivers you to self actualization, it's what happens on the way.

Hell yeah

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Is this thread going to cover all Star Wars-edness, or is Rogue One getting its own?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Bongo Bill posted:

Luke might find that there was once some substance to the Jedi ideal and identify the origin of the corruption. Or, more likely in my estimation, he will find nothing, but together with Rey will develop something new or at least develop the courage to keep trying to maintain light in the galaxy. A ballsy ending might be to dispense with the "Jedi" word, like how the new guys on the red team aren't Sith any more.

That would be baller as hell. I guess A New Hope / The Phantom Menace / The Force Awakens is a sort of thesis / antithesis / synthesis triplet, so Episode IX's title would have to move beyond the Sith / Jedi dichotomy.

VIII's title would have to be something beyond Attacking and Striking Back (something with Alliance/Joining/Truce?). It seems possible to me that the Resistance and First Order (and/or Rey and Kylo) will team up (against Snoke?) in VIII. They went out of their way to humanize Kylo and the stormtroopers in TFA, and a ton of the imagery is good from evil, light from darkness.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Madurai posted:

Is this thread going to cover all Star Wars-edness, or is Rogue One getting its own?

Rogue One will get its own thread

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If nothing else, Snoke is definitely a pretty interesting hook for the new trilogy. There's a lot to his visual design, vocal performance, and fatherly attitude which invites loads of theories. They've certainly set the bar high with how great Kylo was, and I hope the next two directors go along with the idea of New Sith being way more morally grey than the Emperor and Vader.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Neurolimal posted:

If nothing else, Snoke is definitely a pretty interesting hook for the new trilogy.
It's so unique! I never thought they would make the villain an old man who communicates mostly through holograms!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
To be fair the early shot of Snoke making him look like some kind of evil Lincoln Memorial was pretty great.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

I support Tezzor. I think he's showing more insight and gumption than any of the PT defenders as evidenced by the overly defensive and pitiful responses he's getting. He's hit a nerve with people because he's largely correct and that scares people.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying bad movies. There's nothing wrong with guilty pleasures. But don't act like a buncha punk rear end bitches when people have some legitimate criticisms towards them!

lol finally someone insightful and unapologetic enough to post exact quotes from RLM. How can we exist without this visionary for 3 days?

Why don't we just embed clips from those reviews on every page, interspersed with some really antagonistic sarcasm. That should about cover the whole Tezzor experience pretty nicely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harime Nui posted:

Rogue One will get its own thread

Do we really need two threads to discuss the prequels in?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

It's so unique! I never thought they would make the villain an old man who communicates mostly through holograms!

Woah, you mean the movie with homages towards its predecessors and meta themes regarding Star Wars' legacy and its fans....has the emperor figure using something the previous emperor used?!?!?

Good catch bombergut. You'll grow up to be a fine SMG, one day.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

RBA Starblade posted:

Do we really need two threads to discuss the prequels in?

We'll talk more about Godzilla.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

lol finally someone insightful and unapologetic enough to post exact quotes from RLM. How can we exist without this visionary for 3 days?

Why don't we just embed clips from those reviews on every page, interspersed with some really antagonistic sarcasm. That should about cover the whole Tezzor experience pretty nicely.

If there's one thing this thread has taught me it's that we all have different opinions and I'm gay :)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Snoke is the third-worst character in Star Wars, after Maz and Hux.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hbomberguy posted:

Snoke is presented like the Emperor, but now that you wrote this I've realized that in his relationship to Kylo, he's much more like Obi-Wan—also an old man who communicates mostly through holograms.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They can't all be Droid R5-234234 SMG.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Oh sweet we're making lists!

My list of worst Star Wars characters:

1. Nute Gunray and Jar Jar Binks* (tied)
2. Anakin Skywalker
3. Count Dooku

I mulled over this for hours and I think it's impeccable

*Jar Jar Binks might be the most ill-conceived character in the history of cinema

Yaws fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 20, 2016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
1. Dengar, that fat gently caress

2. Zuckuss. That's what he'll do for $50

3. That horrible thing in Jaba's palace with the lips

4. Twelve tit lady. Does Lucas have like a window into my nightmares?

5. That Sand Person who lays bets with his mates he can snipe podracers. What a sonofabitch.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

To be fair the early shot of Snoke making him look like some kind of evil Lincoln Memorial was pretty great.

I agree.

At the same time, Serkis's actual performance was surprisingly lackluster.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Neurolimal posted:

Woah, you mean the movie with homages towards its predecessors and meta themes regarding Star Wars' legacy and its fans....has the emperor figure using something the previous emperor used?!?!?

It's a unique hook but also a direct reference and homage to the previous films! What a unique master/apprentice, surrogate father/son story we've only seen before six times!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cnut the Great posted:

I agree.

At the same time, Serkis's actual performance was surprisingly lackluster.
When developing Snoke as a character, it seems as though all the work was put into the visual and aural design, while making him interesting and important was very much an afterthought. I've seen the film twice and I can't recall him saying a single important thing that wasn't communicated elsewhere.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He was a hologram in one two-minute scene and mentioned in one or two other scenes. I'm sure it will get better, like with Palpatine.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrMojok posted:

He was a hologram in one two-minute scene and mentioned in one or two other scenes. I'm sure it will get better, like with Palpatine.

He was in three scenes directly, as best I can remember ("You must kill your father, Han Solo", "Bring the girl to me", and "Bring Kylo to finish his training").

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Andy Serkis as Snoke is basically just Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1j7lyRnxVE

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The emperor's first appearance in Empire was under a minute, but it was the impetus for the central conflict for the next two acts of the film. When Luke and Vader's relatio ship is revealed in the third act, the conversation between the emperor and Vader gains even more significance: Vader and the emperor are at odds over what Luke represents for the future of the galaxy. The tension established in this short but pivotal scene persists until Vader is redeemed by throwing the emperor into the pit.

Like the Death Star conference room scene, it's a masterwork of economical storytelling.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

Palpatine was good from the very beginning. His one scene in Empire is strong and to-the-point.

Snoke generates speculation about his origins or whatever, because the actual character that appears in the film is both puzzling and unsatisfying.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yaws posted:

Oh sweet we're making lists!

My list of worst Star Wars characters:

1. Nute Gunray and Jar Jar Binks* (tied)
2. Anakin Skywalker
3. Count Dooku

I mulled over this for hours and I think it's impeccable

*Jar Jar Binks might be the most ill-conceived character in the history of cinema

Nute Gunray is awesome. You can argue all day about how racist his design is or isn't, but he's ultimately the closest thing we get to a sympathetic villain in the whole prequels.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Fucker posted:

f Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the poo poo.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.

Knight this man(?)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Tezzor owns. Good points and, even more importantly, lead to some discussion.

Why do we even put up with SMG? All he does is find similar screen caps and claim they were intentional or quotes some eu bullshit zizek character like its gospel.

Cnut is like a tezzor/SMG hybrid. For me he's the sweet spot.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

Tezzor owns. Good points

name one. Being so retarded you literally can't express empathy unless you're told to isn't one of them.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

Tezzor owns. Good points and, even more importantly, lead to some discussion.

Why do we even put up with SMG? All he does is find similar screen caps and claim they were intentional or quotes some eu bullshit zizek character like its gospel.

Cnut is like a tezzor/SMG hybrid. For me he's the sweet spot.

SMG isn't a hostile dickhead, for one. He's also insightful in ways Tezzor wasn't; "nuh uh" isn't interesting stuff.

Also SMG provides textual evidence and support to his claims.

Like it or not, both him and Cnut are at least thought provoking

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How long was Luke on Dagobah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

PittTheElder posted:

Nute Gunray is awesome. You can argue all day about how racist his design is or isn't, but he's ultimately the closest thing we get to a sympathetic villain in the whole prequels.
Palpatine.

I'm not kidding. My love for Palpatine is bulbous and worrisome.

• Locked thread