Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pooncha posted:

Do it anyway. You get to try out your wacky builds and your deaths will keep you away from the (cheating) tryhard tiers. Win-win all around. :)

Nah I tried that already. I need to bomb like 500+ games in a row to go down to Tier 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
new map hosed up the meta

gg pgi

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Oh Snapple! posted:

"You know what happens a little too often? Brawling."

No.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Look I was just throwing out my guess as to the vision behind the map.

Having now actually played the map now, it's not seeming like as much of a guess anymore. It's loving garbage.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Oh Snapple! posted:

Look I was just throwing out my guess as to the vision behind the map.

Having now actually played the map now, it's not seeming like as much of a guess anymore. It's loving garbage.

It's only garbage for brawling robits. LRM/snipers should be fine. The pussies

It's as big as alpine, but with less cover and more open spaces. :pgi: hates brawling.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I thought new alpine was going to fix this, what the hell PGI.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

armchairyoda posted:

It's only garbage for brawling robits. LRM/snipers should be fine. The pussies

It's as big as alpine, but with less cover and more open spaces. :pgi: hates brawling.

Paul hates brawling because he dies too fast and builds lovely bracket builds. But when everything's snipe-based and it takes 2+ minutes to even see an enemy `Mech, that guarantees Paul will live for 2+ minutes every match!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to start levelling this murderbrawlmech on the weekend.

It's so beautiful :allears:

(STD engine, 6x medium pulses and 3x no artemis SRM4s)

Also who cares about that new open map re: LRMs because in a couple months we'll be rolling in ECM Archer heroes giving no fucks.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 20, 2016

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
So I'm appreciating the Warhammer a lot right now - it's a slightly lighter version of the Zeus with weird PPC quirks. I love the Zeus so this suites me well. Bonus points: they deal fairly well with XL engines due to the nice structure quirks, so you can do fun things with XL engines!

WHM-6D: a weird large pulse laser/medium pulse laser brawler. Does very well on cold maps, do not alpha :v:

WHM-6R: ok I'll admit it, I don't really know what to do with this mech, but by god do I love large pulse lasers and medium pulses together.

WHM-7S: a nice SRM/large pulse laser brawler. It's pretty good times. I've been seen in public using two LRM 20 with art on this mech, which is also fun, but probably bad.

BLACK WIDOW: the obvious build. At this point unfortunately AMS is needed because everyone and their mom wants to LRM you to death on the new cold map. You're going to run out of AC5 ammo but your damage will be around 900 so it's ok.
e: apparently I downgraded the engine to the xl280 it comes with, probably because I was trying to help a newbie with a slowass cataphract. Good thing he probably tanked the opposition skill level because those two matches were pretty baller.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 20, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was actually considering a joke Black Widow build using an XL and 4 AC/2s with some extra lasers, mostly just to shake cockpits. But I just can't bring myself to toss an XL engine into any IS mech but a light these days.

Haven't played that new map but it sounds like a great place to take a 2 large laser & ECM arctic cheetah sniper. Or better yet, a gently caress-you sniper raven (if I had one).

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

PoptartsNinja posted:

Paul hates brawling because he dies too fast and builds lovely bracket builds. But when everything's snipe-based and it takes 2+ minutes to even see an enemy `Mech, that guarantees Paul will live for 2+ minutes every match!

With builds like this, how could anyone hate brawling?

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/185249-looking-for-catapult-builds-and-tips/page__view__findpost__p__4848953

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bait and Swatch posted:

Just played that new map, and it is not for brawlers. Just a big flat LRM and ECMsniper paradise.

I'm reserving opinion.

The map looks flat and open and therefore perfect for LRM and Snipers, but in reality it isn't. It doesn't have the enormous cliff ledges that other MWO maps have that block LOS, but the terrain constantly undulates and there are lots of defilades all over the place that let you close the gap with snipers while not being shot at - they're just not immediately obvious because they aren't in the form of the enormous cliff wall corridors that every other MWO map has.

It's a subtle map and I think in a week's time I might come firmly round to the opinion that it's the best 'open' map in the game (as opposed to to Arena maps like HPG manifold which I wouldn't say you can compare like-for-like on quality). I certainly really appreciate the philosophy that went into making this one and would like more maps designed around similar basic principles.

tldr; the new map is full of nuance that previous maps don't have and it's going to take a while to work out if it's good or bad. I suspect it's good.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I can understand people not liking the size- I'm a dumb nerd and enjoy the vastness and slower pace but that's definitely a minority view- but I haven't seen LRM hell on it at all. If you get out of the trenches long enough to keep locks for LRMs, you're probably getting ground into dust by ballistics and PPC which are much deadlier with this gentle hillhumper terrain.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Radar Derp and ECM are your new best friends now! :shepicide:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Wow, and that guy is in charge of game design or something?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I'm reserving opinion.

The map looks flat and open and therefore perfect for LRM and Snipers, but in reality it isn't. It doesn't have the enormous cliff ledges that other MWO maps have that block LOS, but the terrain constantly undulates and there are lots of defilades all over the place that let you close the gap with snipers while not being shot at - they're just not immediately obvious because they aren't in the form of the enormous cliff wall corridors that every other MWO map has.

It's a subtle map and I think in a week's time I might come firmly round to the opinion that it's the best 'open' map in the game (as opposed to to Arena maps like HPG manifold which I wouldn't say you can compare like-for-like on quality). I certainly really appreciate the philosophy that went into making this one and would like more maps designed around similar basic principles.

tldr; the new map is full of nuance that previous maps don't have and it's going to take a while to work out if it's good or bad. I suspect it's good.

Yeah I'm with you, I played today with an Atlas, had another pubby atlas come with along the left side, we were able to make it to the back of the enemy group without being seen and got a few kills in pretty quickly before going down in a blaze of glory.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Holy poo poo the new map is garbage. All it takes is one mech running around with tag/narc + ecm and you gently caress literally everything up. Why would you design a map without any kind of useful cover.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Hrm, I can do 2xAC/20s, 6 tons of ammo, and keep a 280 engine on a WHM-6r

Like so

I'm glad the mech with the iconic profile of "BOTH MY ARMS ARE HUGE GUNS" doesn't fit any guns in its arms in this build. :v:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm glad the mech with the iconic profile of "BOTH MY ARMS ARE HUGE GUNS" doesn't fit any guns in its arms in this build. :v:

Main reason i restrained from buying it.
If it had an AC10 in each arm, instabuy.

Also dont play any mechs with hip-height weapon mounts for the comming week, chances are youll get highlands and you wanna have shoulder-mounts there.

Whoever said "well its still gonna be better than alpine": You were wrong. Oh how wrong you were.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Main reason i restrained from buying it.
If it had an AC10 in each arm, instabuy.

Also dont play any mechs with hip-height weapon mounts for the comming week, chances are youll get highlands and you wanna have shoulder-mounts there.

Whoever said "well its still gonna be better than alpine": You were wrong. Oh how wrong you were.

At least highlands leaves both sides evenly screwed. Alpine you may as well just overheat yourself to death if you get the non mountain side.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I like the new map, though they should fiddle with the spawns a bit.

playing it with an ECMd light lance narcing teh poo poo out of everyone sounds fun i might try it

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

kingcom posted:

Why would you design a map without any kind of useful cover.

Because LRMs deserve to be just as viable a weapon as anything else.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Being able to duck behind cover doesn't not make LRM viable weapons. Every map has a means of dodging LRM fire (just like any other weapon in the game), except for this new map. Where the only viable cover are those random silo like buildings that are surrounded by nothing but flat land.

it's going to be a seriously awesome map for the Archer :hfive:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I threw these together in a post-surgical haze so I have no idea if they're reasonable or not.

WHM-BW
WHM-6D
WHM-6R
WHM-7S

e: probably a good idea to switch out the PPCs for LPLs.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 20, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

A.o.D. posted:

Warhammer goes back on the shelf.

It takes back damage from front shots.

I get the feeling a lot of robots sometimes have this problem (still)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Given the slot layout and how low the arms are, why would you ever put your main guns in the arms of a warhammer? There's absolutely no incentive to put your most important weaponry in the most vulnerable part of the mech where terrain is going to cost you expensive (in terms of heat) shot opportunities.

Also, with respect to polar highlands: The umbrellaFox's day may have come. It's just a shame that negating tons of LRM damage doesn't net you XP or Cbills.

apostateCourier posted:

I threw these together in a post-surgical haze so I have no idea if they're reasonable or not.

WHM-BW
WHM-6D
WHM-6R
WHM-7S

e: probably a good idea to switch out the PPCs for LPLs.

It's also a good idea to not put your main guns in your arms.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 20, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

kingcom posted:

Holy poo poo the new map is garbage. All it takes is one mech running around with tag/narc + ecm and you gently caress literally everything up. Why would you design a map without any kind of useful cover.

Counterpoint: there is now literally one map where being an ECM NARCing build is actually a useful contribution to your team.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Counterpoint: there is now literally one map where being an ECM NARCing build is actually a useful contribution to your team.

I look forward to a rush of pubbies building LRM Narc mechs for the new map and getting conquest on HPG uplink instead, getting murdered wholesale in the underground part.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I get the feeling a lot of robots sometimes have this problem (still)

No joke, I let my kid drive the new Warham on the testing ground and he was shooting a Cicada's butt (practicing for Phorashi). It took front CT damage.

It was the only robot we found on the new map. The rest were obscured by the cover of head-height ditchery and 1.5km range separation.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

People keep saying the WHMs are relatively XL-safe, but I'm too much of a terrified baby to test that. Has anybody tried it yet?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Given the slot layout and how low the arms are, why would you ever put your main guns in the arms of a warhammer? There's absolutely no incentive to put your most important weaponry in the most vulnerable part of the mech where terrain is going to cost you expensive (in terms of heat) shot opportunities.

Yeah, I know, that post was a call-back to your post from yesterday. :v:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alchenar posted:

I'm reserving opinion.

Yeah I agree with this. It's entirely possible in the new map to close within a few hundred meters of the enemy without their seeing you. The trenches are good at blocking LOS and you can drop into cover fairly quickly. The matches I played on it started off a bit snipey but were decided by brawls

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

They really don't

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
True, you actually CAN surprise flank an entire lance here without being spotted and killed at 1500 metres.
Last match i had yesterday was our light lance (in which my cicada was placed) going around the enemy advance and shoot their asses. Confused they turned around to kill off the harassers while the rest of our team showed up and melted through their backsides.
Come to think of it, this was one of the most enjoyable moments of playing lights ive had in this game.

gently caress you, dont make me actually like this map!

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
the issue really is how big the map is and the time to even confirm the enemy team exists. spending almost 20% of the game time without any sight of the enemy is a poor decision. i haven't played conquest on the map yet but i am willing to bet significant amounts of money every game will come down to points because smart lights will dedicate themselves solely to capping and any non-light will be too slow to uncap/kill the last remaining enemy.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Beet Wagon posted:

People keep saying the WHMs are relatively XL-safe, but I'm too much of a terrified baby to test that. Has anybody tried it yet?

The hit boxes on the torsos are hilariously tiny. It's like the thing is made of arms and center torso. Guys here are running the XLs and it doesn't seem to affect their survivability. It's kinda like the QuickDraw or blackjack in that it can twist away damage really nicely and if the XL in the torso is the cause of your death, you were going to die anyway. I would totally buy them if I was around for the early adopter window.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Goon Mechwarrior opinions:

2 Streak SRM-2s or 2 SRM-4s on a Jenner 7-D?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SWEET CHRISTMAS LARGE PULSES ON A THE 4G HAVE A 450 OPTIMAL RANGE?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

jBrereton posted:

Goon Mechwarrior opinions:

2 Streak SRM-2s or 2 SRM-4s on a Jenner 7-D?

IS streaks are very bad -- you can't place the damage where you want it to go, and it doesn't have the advantage of clan streaks where you can vomit out like 30 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Endbuster posted:

The hit boxes on the torsos are hilariously tiny. It's like the thing is made of arms and center torso. Guys here are running the XLs and it doesn't seem to affect their survivability. It's kinda like the QuickDraw or blackjack in that it can twist away damage really nicely and if the XL in the torso is the cause of your death, you were going to die anyway. I would totally buy them if I was around for the early adopter window.

It's funny because whenever I had a standard in them the sides torsos may as well not existed, but in the one build with an XL, I was indestructible.

• Locked thread