Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nah it's still blindingly white

tw: verge
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/19/10789052/apple-employee-diversity-eeo-1-filing-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

flux came out in 2009, during iPhone OS 3.0 and the iPhone 3GS.

apple regularly adds features to their OS that were previously introduced by apps, but they usually wait a long time.

flux is in the bargaining stage of grief upon losing their near monopoly on the feature. this happens every time.

due to the way iOS works, the feature was never actually on it, though, unless you side loaded or jailbroke your device, which flux encouraged people to do.

i'm surprised anyone is still talking about it.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hopefully i have put this to bed.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PleasureKevin posted:

hopefully i have put this to bed.

the only thing you can bed

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sniep posted:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sniep posted:

the only thing you can legally bed

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sniep posted:

Nice!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gosh flux is doomed now that apple STOLE it from them. however will they survive only offering their free application on android, windows, linux, and os x?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

being complex is not a requirement for being granted a patent

and the fact that the effect of blue light has been known for decades yet only f.lux got around to doing anything about it seems to prove that the solution wasn't that obvious after all

just cause its obvious now doesn't mean it was obvious then (Ive, cited in qirex 2016)

it seems to prove that most people dont care about it and it makes your screen look like poo poo

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
when the problem is "blue light is bad for you" outputting less blue light is not the obvious solution. its the only solution

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

it seems to prove that most people dont care about it and it makes your screen look like poo poo

flux is good and it doesnt "make your screen look like poo poo". you literally don't notice it. did you know that what your eyes take in is all upside down backwards and full of veins and holes and poo poo? wow. :psyboom: unless ur pagancow stfu about this

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i notice it when i'm jacking it at 2am and all my lily white aryan babes look like the cast of jersey shore

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

smythe you might literally be colour blind

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

flux is amazing , rip flux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I do color sensitive work sometimes :smug:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I do color sensitive work sometimes :smug:

my company made a promise to be more color sensitive in 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

my company made a promise to be more color sensitive in 2016
my division mostly operates with black anyways

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

nice

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
is quick charge 3.0 going to work with the next iphone?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

kalstrams posted:

my division mostly operates with black anyways

:xd:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flux is cool and good and i agree with smythe that when used appropriately, you can't tell. yes, if you switch from night colors to day colors you will notice a difference.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

no offence but you 2 are actually colour blind literally

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
no need to resort to personal attacks now kev, we know you're an idiot already.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I like flux as it really does help on my desktop and I'm blinded when I turn it off at night if I want to load Netflix but my eyes adjust

it's pure yellow piss tho and anyone should be able to see the difference

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

e

PleasureKevin posted:

no offence but you 2 are actually colour blind literally
except for the part where i said you can tell a difference when you switch it on and off????????????

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if the sun suddenly goes down or someone turns on a light I notice immediately and it looks really bad for a few seconds

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's like when you put on sunglasses and everything is green or brown for a little while but then your brain adjusts and it's normal again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

primary visual cortex area 4 working overtime

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

google paid apple $1 billion in 2014 to keep google as the default search engine on ios. court filings documenting this disappear after journalists write about it

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35380696

quote:

Google 'paid Apple $1bn in 2014 to keep search on iPhone'

Google paid tech rival Apple $1bn in 2014 to keep its search function the default option on iOS devices, Bloomberg reports.

A transcript of court proceedings from a copyright lawsuit against Google allegedly contains reference to a deal between the Silicon Valley firms.

The alleged agreement involves Google paying Apple a percentage of revenue - as much as 34% - gained through iOS devices.

Both companies declined to comment.

The BBC has not been able to verify the claims independently.

Bloomberg added that the referenced document has since been removed from the web.

"The transcript vanished without a trace from electronic court records at about 15:00," the report noted.

The court proceedings in question regard a lawsuit by Oracle Corp. in which the firm claims that Google used its Java software to develop Android but failed to pay for it.

'Lucrative business'

Analyst firms, such as Morgan Stanley, have quoted the $1bn figure in the past, but this appears to be the first time that a reference has been found in court documents.

"It's a very lucrative business to be the browser of choice on a device or the search engine on a device," Chris Green, a technology analyst at consultancy firm Lewis, told the BBC.

"It really does, I think, highlight the importance that's being put on being able to own real estate and the conduits through which people access information."

However, Mr Green also noted that it was generally quite common for companies to pay hardware vendors fees for the placement of software and services on devices and that sometimes that may indeed be a percentage of revenue gained as a result.

Bad ads

Other details about how Google manages its services emerged this week - including the fact that the firm removed 780 million "bad" advertisements from its sites last year.

By bad, Google said it was referring to ads which linked to malware, promoted fake goods or covered up website content.

In a blog post, the company said it had more than 1,000 people within its organisation responsible for weeding out these ads and that the number that had to be removed was increasing.

Some figures published by Google on advertisements include:
  • More than 17 million ads designed to trick or mislead people into clicking them removed
  • 12.5 million ads blocked which violated Google's healthcare and medicine policy - such as ads for unapproved drugs
  • More than 30,000 sites suspended for carrying misleading claims about weight loss programmes
  • More than 10,000 sites and 18,000 accounts suspended for attempting to sell counterfeit goods
  • More than 10,000 sites disabled for offering unwanted software

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
that oracle-google lawsuit is just the gift that keeps on giving

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smythe posted:

flux is good and it doesnt "make your screen look like poo poo". you literally don't notice it. did you know that what your eyes take in is all upside down backwards and full of veins and holes and poo poo? wow. :psyboom: unless ur pagancow stfu about this

my roommate uses flux and I notice it immediately when it switches temperatures. I'm a graphic design major so I could just be more sensitive but I fee like removing a lot of the blues in an image is pretty obvious.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
No poo poo you can see the color temperature change if you are looking for it. But you're not going to notice continuous change if you're not looking for it due to habituation. This is assuming they have it change continuously over hours and not in giant steps which is just bizarre.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

aren't you able to adjust the color temperature that it sets the screen to anyway? honestly confused how someone could not like/be mad about f.lux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
last time I used flux it couldn't change the color of your mouse cursor so you had a bright white point on top of orange everything else.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shaggar posted:

you had a bright white point on top of orange everything else.

you should get that checked out

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

you should get that checked out

dont oompa loompa shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cmykjester posted:

my roommate uses flux and I notice it immediately when it switches temperatures. I'm a graphic design major so I could just be more sensitive but I fee like removing a lot of the blues in an image is pretty obvious.

the color temperature changes during sunset

it's crazy

• Locked thread