Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im Elena Ferrante

also I just read The Secret History and it was okay but I don't think it counts as literature even though the author really really wanted it to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's what I've heard to.

Should I do City or Little Life next after Elena Ferrante?

City on Fire because it's exciting and cool and I want your opinion of it. Hallberg is certain to become a huge name in American lit, especially if he can write books with decent speed. A Little Life is a great book but City on Fire blew me away on every level. And finally, I think you're going to need something more fast-paced and plot-centric to keep you going on your long book quest

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 20, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
February botm should be invisible cities

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

it should be because I’ll actually read it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it should be because I’ll actually read it

same

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it already has been BOTM tho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

corn in the bible posted:

literally last febs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

every february

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

let's do the nonexistent knight then

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
There are enough garbage books and garbage writers to not have to run Calvino into the ground like that

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
February botm should be "Black Snow". It's recent, dreary, short and I'm pretty sure Mel is the only other person who's already read it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I read all three of the Calvino's Ancestors Trilogy, but I gotta say The Baron in the Trees is by far my favorite.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cloks posted:

February botm should be "Black Snow". It's recent, dreary, short and I'm pretty sure Mel is the only other person who's already read it.
In George RR Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire epic, that title would mean “Black Bastard”.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I read all three of the Calvino's Ancestors Trilogy, but I gotta say The Baron in the Trees is by far my favorite.

I appreciate you sticking around after we all yelled at you.

Good for you kid

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

What do you think of Calvino? I've never read anything of his.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

blue squares posted:

What do you think of Calvino? I've never read anything of his.

I have only read that trilogy (the other two being The Nonexistant Knight and the Cloven Discount, if you are interested), so I can only tell you about those. I found them pretty good, with a fairy tale-like rustic atmosphere that goes very well with the stories they tell. Even a dunce like me managed to crack the symbolism found there. But I should clarify that I read them in Italian, and while I don't think they exactly rely on wordplay to work, I can't guarantee that something might have been lost in translation.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

paradoxGentleman have you considered this:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Nanomashoes posted:

god damnit

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just went through a roller coaster of emotion. First I was skeptical, then I was outraged, then I relaxed and realized its intended to be humor and who cares. I really doubt that the book was published to introduce Shakespeare to a generation that can only understand emotions in the form of emojis. Especially since the humor doesn't work if you don't already know the play well.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i guess the idea that millenials are going buy something like that in a physical format is pretty funny

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

TheQat posted:

i guess the idea that millenials are going buy something like that in a physical format is pretty funny

It probably originated as a blog and got a publishing deal. But physical books are still more popular than ebooks

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
It's a gag gift, you guys

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Do you really, honestly think that people buy these without irony? They they don't realize that that is not, in fact, the same thing as reading Shakespeare?
Are you going to post about how cellphones are devouring teenagers' souls next?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Do you really, honestly think that people buy these without irony? They they don't realize that that is not, in fact, the same thing as reading Shakespeare?

pretty sure it was a joke

i only said "god damnit" because i didn't know it existed

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yes, no, yes, but only because cell phones have cameras and we all know that cameras steal your soul.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lol if you think that is the bottom of the barrel

Check

This

poo poo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Eh that could be fun if it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The classic tales of William Shakespeare are often as packed with gore and corpses as the scariest slasher flick -- and can spawn equally gruesome sequels....

Football star Cameron Dean is genuine campus royalty at Globe University, but his life is more of a nightmare than a dream. Not only was his dad murdered under mysterious circumstances, but Cameron suspects that his mom and aunt may have had something to do with it!

When he unexpectedly inherits a creepy old castle in Denmark, Cameron tries to put his worries behind him, inviting his girlfriend and college buddies along on an overseas trip to check out the gloomy fortress. The plan is to get some serious partying done. Too bad nobody counted on the ghost of a drowned girl rising from her watery grave with vengeance on her mind!

Now the only question is: to die or not to die?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

to die or not to die?

amazing

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I realize that this is more thought than this film merits but didn't everyone Ophelia could have had beef with die by the end of the play? And they didn't have kids or whatever, so who is she getting revenge on, Fortinbras? The descendants of Horatio? More things indeed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nakar posted:

I realize that this is more thought than this film merits but didn't everyone Ophelia could have had beef with die by the end of the play? And they didn't have kids or whatever, so who is she getting revenge on, Fortinbras? The descendants of Horatio? More things indeed.

This is a book not a movie

Hamlet 2 the movie is actually awesome and good

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is a book not a movie

Hamlet 2 the movie is actually awesome and good
Oh sorry, it had such a crappy cover that on my mobile screen it looked like a bad film poster. As a book it has the potential to be even worse though.

But now I'm genuinely curious as to whether the characters have some tie to the play or if Ophelia's just pulling a Jason and murdering people for the crime of being in a castle.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nakar posted:

Oh sorry, it had such a crappy cover that on my mobile screen it looked like a bad film poster. As a book it has the potential to be even worse though.

But now I'm genuinely curious as to whether the characters have some tie to the play or if Ophelia's just pulling a Jason and murdering people for the crime of being in a castle.

the American football hero guy is probably a distant descendant of Claudius or some dumb poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the good sequel to Hamlet is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

e:vv i know but close enough

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 20, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

the good sequel to Hamlet is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

thats not a sequel, it takes place concurrently.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You could call it a midquel, if you hate yourself. I'm not sure what the smart term would be. Interstitial?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Interquel? Although that sounds rather like it's taking place during the break between acts 3 and 4 in the foyer.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 20, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Companion piece.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

Interquel? Although that sounds rather like it's taking place during the break between acts 3 and 4 in the foyer.

No, Polonius is the one in the foyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought Polonius was at supper.