Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Strange Quark posted:

lol the radio talk show

they do it a lot but that has to be the most on the nose one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Jostiband posted:

One dopey smile coming up!

Shinji is pretty cute when he's not breaking down :3:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

a kitten posted:

It's funny, I was about 80% sure Toji died. When they said they had life signs I was pretty relieved.

In the manga, he does end up getting killed off for good. :(

Srice posted:

Every time I watch Eva it makes me think of how back in the day there was nonstop complaining about Shinji being too whiny

And of course it's a terrible complaint but each time I watch through it I just think of more and more reasons why it's a terrible complaint

I like to think that everyone that still complains about him being whiny/a coward/etc either haven't actually seen the show and are just parroting what they've heard, or have a really bad understanding of the whole thing.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 19, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Knorth posted:

Shinji is pretty cute when he's not breaking down :3:

Well yeah.

Random things i loved from these past few episodes.

Asuka's tore up room.
Rei's voice and voice acting.
Shinji's visions of the three wait four important women in his life.
Unit 01 looking around in a wary, feral way before going on eating some more delicious Angel.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

I was not prepared for a sex scene.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Tried to screenshot all the hands but I gave up halfway through because I have things to do tommorow :negative:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This would have been funnier as a gif

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://my.mixtape.moe/xyrqqo.webm

https://my.mixtape.moe/ehwmwi.webm

https://my.mixtape.moe/xqtsri.webm

https://my.mixtape.moe/hdoxzo.webm

its blood splattering against its own AT field is the craziest detail

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

This would have been funnier as a gif

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

a kitten posted:

Random things i loved from these past few episodes.

Asuka's tore up room.

Thanks Asuka! Now I can post a full set!

Gota catch Žem all!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jostiband posted:

Thanks Asuka! Now I can post a full set!

Gota catch Žem all!

That's awesome.

Also,

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

a kitten posted:

That's awesome.

Also,

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like how the background here resembles an AT Field.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I completely forgot that shinji just goes "oh yeah, I've known about eva this whole time" outta the blue like that

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

I completely forgot that shinji just goes "oh yeah, I've known about eva this whole time" outta the blue like that

I don't think that's what he meant exactly

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Freudian psychology is real in Evangelion; he repressed the memory.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

It shows his original "I've never seen seen this before dad how the hell can I pilot this" speech from ep 1, then internal monologue shinji says that he actually did know about it and actual shinji agrees, complete with freeze frame shots of babby shinji staring through glass in a very nerv-esque building at something.

If it's not either intentional self-deception or some serious repressed memories, idk what it could be. Granted I also haven't watched these later episodes in about seven years so my memory is pretty fuzzy on the events.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Zartosht posted:

Freudian psychology is real in Evangelion; he repressed the memory.

yeah I wasn't saying he was consciously aware of it, it's just a little abrupt how he remembers it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it ties in with Shinji accusing his dad of killing his mother during all the craziness in episode 20 and that he most likely witnessed the accident that 'killed' her during the initial activation experiments.

E: actually if I remember correctly it's not 'most likely' but explicitly shown in the next episode.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 19, 2016

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

lol

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

This poo poo is so Freud. Liked it when I was a teen, but watching it as an adult makes me appreciate that unlike a lot of other anime I used to enjoy, this is still extremely good stuff.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I like how the background here resembles an AT Field.

Now I kind of wish I had a gif of the scene instead, because it's really cool. Misato figures she should probably make another attempt to actually reach out to the kid, totally for realz this time, and Shinji immediately goes into Shields Up Back-Turn Safety First Ignoratron mode. Then with the spiky threat temporarily neutralized he retreats into the Impenetrable Fortress of Pillow to prevent future encounters. Good job Shinji! You're safe! :v:
Also, yeah. Once you're actually looking for them, those things start showing up loving everywhere. Either in the imagery, like the rather blatant example here, using a physical proxy, like the freezer shot I posted way back, or just the magic of shot composition. This is a really cool show is what im saying!

Srice posted:

It's a good ep and some of the details tend to be forgotten

Which I can understand considering what happened prior, and what's to come.

This keeps coming up occasionally, but I've started to notice that the majority of the screenshots I take tend to come from these episodes.
May be more accurate to say that a lot of important things happen that do not involve giant robots somehow. I dunno

hi liter posted:

This poo poo is so Freud. Liked it when I was a teen, but watching it as an adult makes me appreciate that unlike a lot of other anime I used to enjoy, this is still extremely good stuff.

You might say this show brings us...a lot of Freude :agesilaus:

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Jostiband posted:

You might say this show brings us...a lot of Freude :agesilaus:

I'm hoping you meant that as a joke about ep 24.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Well duh, us lesser mortals should not invoke Dread Agesilaus lightly

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jostiband posted:

Now I kind of wish I had a gif of the scene instead, because it's really cool.

That's what I love about Eva- that it uses imagery to tell its story as much as dialogue. It's extremely well made!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:3: Ahh~ the music while he's inside the Eva is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuc3pE22b4g

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evangelion's soundtrack is basically perfect

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

But it's not friday yet...! :ohdear:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Jostiband posted:

But it's not friday yet...! :ohdear:

Those were just from episode 20 :)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I'm hoping you meant that as a joke about ep 24.

haha

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

Evangelion's soundtrack is basically perfect
~20 years later, Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop still remain kings of the hill when it comes to anime soundtracks.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Tonight has my second favorite episode :angel:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This should be interesting, I've only seen the DC versions of these episodes once before. Hope everyone has their pause button ready for the pre-credit sequence. Or reads really fast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat, 21 is such a dense episode, I kind of wish they'd spread some of the information out a bit more throughout the series but that would lessen the impact I guess.

Seriously do not mouse over this if you haven't seen the episode!
So, what is everyone's speculation on who actually killed Kaji?

It was Misato :unsmigghh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

drat, 21 is such a dense episode, I kind of wish they'd spread some of the information out a bit more throughout the series but that would lessen the impact I guess.

Seriously do not mouse over this if you haven't seen the episode!
So, what is everyone's speculation on who actually killed Kaji?

It was Misato :unsmigghh:

Word of God is "A third party either working for SEELE or NERV's intelligence division"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boring.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rebuild might have something for you. Maybe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rebuild might have something for you. Maybe.

In the manga it's apparently Gendo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It was me :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just a reminder that we're watching the director cut versions where applicable.

Although if you want to watch the original airing versions as well to compare and talk about them, that's cool and I encourage it.

• Locked thread