Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Please tell me someone is pointing it out to him.

subpar anachronism posted:

From a guy who supports the registration/deportation of all Muslim peoples in the US. I don't think this image implies what he thinks it implies. On the other hand, I'm not sure at all what he thinks it implies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Not true at all. In most European countries a significant chunk of the population can speak fluent English as a second language. In most tourist spots around the world, you'll rarely need to use the native language.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Subjunctive posted:

Lots of women, both because they're going to be "on display" and to make it easier to tell if there's tearing, or for the doctor performing an episiotomy to have a clearer view.

Yeah, I think for the most part it's the latter, because the idea of a very pregnant woman shaving her own pubic hair a few days before delivery seems difficult.

I am super curious to know if he thinks this in any way lends credibility to his views.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

I am super curious to know if he thinks this in any way lends credibility to his views.

The only way I can read it in a way that supports his purported views is "Hitler was right but it should have been Muslims"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Aesop Poprock posted:

The only way I can read it in a way that supports his purported views is "Hitler was right but it should have been Muslims"

No, my guess is he thinks it means "Hey, it's just a number, chill out guys".

Edit: to be clear, he has NO idea that that image has a holocaust connection.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

EvilGenius posted:

Not true at all. In most European countries a significant chunk of the population can speak fluent English as a second language. In most tourist spots around the world, you'll rarely need to use the native language.

And not only that, but Americans are infamous for traveling the world, and then getting flabbergasted when not everything is in English/ there isn't a ready-made interpreter for us. So, really, we do that whole SPEAK ENGLISH thing no matter where we are.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm bilingual (English and Quebec French), and I still feel bad that I don't know more languages. It's not just about respecting other people's language, but that learning new languages is pretty drat fun. Sticking to one and expecting everyone else to compensate is baffling to me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Is there a chance this is about guns? As in registering gun owners? Comparing gun laws to the Holocaust is common for extreme right-wing gun nuts.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm bilingual (English and Quebec French), and I still feel bad that I don't know more languages. It's not just about respecting other people's language, but that learning new languages is pretty drat fun. Sticking to one and expecting everyone else to compensate is baffling to me.

I agree, but having spent a LOT of academic and personal time on learning various languages in my life, I've come to realize that fluency is insanely difficult to achieve unless you use the language on a daily basis. I still try to learn the basics of as many languages as I can and ESPECIALLY ones where I'll be traveling, but it's disheartening that you can spend years of your life studying and practicing a language and still struggle to be at the level of even a 3 year old native speaker.

And part of that is that I tend to be really wordy and particular in my native language, so its frustrating and discouraging to have to put myself on a simpler level while trying to communicate in another language

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CaptBushido posted:

I agree, but having spent a LOT of academic and personal time on learning various languages in my life, I've come to realize that fluency is insanely difficult to achieve unless you use the language on a daily basis. I still try to learn the basics of as many languages as I can and ESPECIALLY ones where I'll be traveling, but it's disheartening that you can spend years of your life studying and practicing a language and still struggle to be at the level of even a 3 year old native speaker.

And part of that is that I tend to be really wordy and particular in my native language, so its frustrating and discouraging to have to put myself on a simpler level while trying to communicate in another language

Sorry you got brain problems mate

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The UK is really dense and if you live in a city centre like I do, a driving license isn't quite so common even when you grow older. The trains/buses aren't awful even if I complain about them a ton, and I can walk to most places I want to go to. Cars, permits, tax, fuel all expensive and the current climate in my city is super poor wages in skilled jobs and pretty high cost of living so a lot of people see it as an unnecessary expense. We don't do drivers ed in schools etc either and it's not pushed as being so necessary here. I probably should've applied for a provisional license just for ID but I genuinely never need it. I look my age, sadly enough. On the off chance I get carded I tell them I don't carry ID and all is fine as they realise I'm not 17 (alcohol is 18 here, not 21) and just double checking.

It does suck when you need to move something big and most of the people you know in your surrounding area don't drive, or if they can - don't have a car.

The provisional is £50, if you don't lose it, that's a one off payment that's valid for ten years, probably longer if you don't intend to drive, sincer carders only care about the DOB on it. It's worth the cost, and stops you from being the guy who stopped your mates getting into somewhere.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Biplane posted:

Sorry you got brain problems mate

should have specified non-European languages for all that I guess, any moron could pick up a germanic or romance language in a few weeks

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

EvilGenius posted:

What is it, over 80% of Swedes speak English now? And when my friends backpacked across Europe, every small town they went to the locals were eager to show off their English speaking skills.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you ever pointed out how other countries speak English to these people, they'd just move the goalposts 180 degrees and say "if those other people can learn English, why don't Mexicans?!"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a chance this is about guns? As in registering gun owners? Comparing gun laws to the Holocaust is common for extreme right-wing gun nuts.

I'm pretty sure it's "don't register Muslims because it's the same thing Hitler did to the Jewish" and a bit of "Trump is loving Hitler."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BJPaskoff posted:

Okay, so the watermark is for this page, and I think what the original intent was trying to say was essentially, "If you try to register Muslims, you're basically Hitler". That's the only thing I can contribute to this mystery.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

midwest_hs_alumni.jpg

:suicide:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

why aren't you helping him down, uncle sam?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Takoluka posted:

Jesus helps those who help themselves, he's gotta take his own advice

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Takoluka posted:

He's not praying, he's begging Jesus to leave him his couch after he kicks it

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Christ, and the hits just keep on coming (maximum artifa-cation, too).

Is there a full moon or something?

One thing these idiots do for me is make me thankful every day that I loving left.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
He's probably praying for luck in a dice game he's having down there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
ahahahaaaaaa hahahaaaaaaaa

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

holy poo poo is that real ahahaha

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

One thing these idiots do for me is make me thankful every day that I loving left.

I literally cannot read this without hearing the hard 'A' in "Arab". "AYE-RAB"

..!!!!!

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

"In America we like to murder brown people!"

I mean, I really don't see how I'm supposed to get anything else out of it.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guilty Spork posted:

"It's just a joke, don't be so sensitive! Political correctness in this country IS OUT OF CONTROL! Vote for Trump!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I get that this is woman in prison garb who probably did something terrible, but I am having a hard time putting a name to the face.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is it Casey Anthony?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is it Casey Anthony?

We have a winner :yotj:

edit: found a more appropriate smiley

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Jan 20, 2016

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, it's a fairly infamous picture of her, I believe crying during her acquittal.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Madkal posted:

I get that this is woman in prison garb who probably did something terrible, but I am having a hard time putting a name to the face.

She killed her daughter.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a pretty good question to be honest.

Why is it people that celebrate Asian pride or Mexican pride are doing it out of comradery and celebration, whereas those involved in White pride are all racists who hate everyone who doesn't look like them. Maybe they should kick racism out of the White pride movement and we can all have fun together!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Why is it people that celebrate Asian pride or Mexican pride are doing it out of comradery and celebration, whereas those involved in White pride are all racists who hate everyone who doesn't look like them. Maybe they should kick racism out of the White pride movement and we can all have fun together!

I dunno why people think the 14 words are so bad either, I mean I'm white, my kids'll be white, and I must secure their futures as their parent. What's the big deal?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Come to Milwaukee. We have Irish fest, German fest, polish fest, Greek fest, etc. People that think white people are somehow restricted from celebrating aspects of their culture are stupid af and not looking very hard.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Leon Einstein posted:

Come to Milwaukee. We have Irish fest, German fest, polish fest, Greek fest, etc. People that think white people are somehow restricted from celebrating aspects of their culture are stupid af and not looking very hard.

This was the one thing I wanted to really point out to this douchebag, but I didn't want to get into it. Nobody has a problem with Irish pride, German pride, etc. White people are lucky enough to, for the most part, know their national origins and have family history and sometimes physical artifacts to tie them to those cultures. This is also--again, for the most part--true of "Mexican" pride, and the "Asian" pride is an artifact that can be broken down to specific Asian nations of origin. Muslim pride is religious pride, which Christians demonstrate in spades without retribution.

That leaves the real sticking point--black pride. Black in America is an identity bereft of specific origins. It is a house built on a foundation of torn roots. They have no choice but to bind together by skin color, because they've already been pushed together by white people.

White people grouping themselves by skin color aren't pushed into it, they're banding together in opposition to colored people. It's so obvious I don't know how anyone can deny it.

But here's this fucker on my friends list....

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Guilty Spork posted:

Racists don't consider people of different ethnicities to be actual people so it's okay/hilarious to dispose of them like cheap drinking glasses.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Brawnfire posted:

This was the one thing I wanted to really point out to this douchebag, but I didn't want to get into it. Nobody has a problem with Irish pride, German pride, etc. White people are lucky enough to, for the most part, know their national origins and have family history and sometimes physical artifacts to tie them to those cultures. This is also--again, for the most part--true of "Mexican" pride, and the "Asian" pride is an artifact that can be broken down to specific Asian nations of origin. Muslim pride is religious pride, which Christians demonstrate in spades without retribution.

That leaves the real sticking point--black pride. Black in America is an identity bereft of specific origins. It is a house built on a foundation of torn roots. They have no choice but to bind together by skin color, because they've already been pushed together by white people.

White people grouping themselves by skin color aren't pushed into it, they're banding together in opposition to colored people. It's so obvious I don't know how anyone can deny it.

But here's this fucker on my friends list....

This is a very good way to put this, thanks.