Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

I don't know about 2, but the first game, whenever it would hide your HUD there would be a tiny line of garbage about where the HUD ends normally. It appears whenever there's dialog or when cutscenes play. It's not really too bad but it's noticeable if you've played the original.

yeah its the same thing. its much much less frequent than in 1 but i've seen it about 5 times in 3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I got 100% in the original Dark Cloud when it first came out on PS2, but for some reason I never got DC2. Glad it's on sale for $11 so I can finally try it out.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you haven't accessed the PS3 or Vita stores yet, you'll have to install new system software before you can log in to PSN with them.

The latest update killed off Facebook support and a handful of exploits.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I feel like I enjoyed everything about Dark Cloud 2 except for the core "gameplay." That is, dungeons were absurdly long, repetitive, and samey, and they ultimately just got in the way of all the other crap the game let you do. It just kinda feels like a collection of diversions, which I'm sure is exactly what some people want it to be, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. I just think Steambot Chronicles's take on that idea was more my thing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I said it before but I played DC2 back in the day and it seemed cool but I gave up on it eventually because I could not figure out how to up my defense. Like everything so did seemed to up my attack and eventually I was really overpowered in terms of attack but I also couldn't do a thing about normal enemy attacks and was dying in like 1-3 hits. It just got aggravating after awhile. It was unfortunate because I was enjoying it. Maybe when this version ends up being like $3 I'll give it another go.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I've not had any problems with defense yet. I've been eating my potato pies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When does the Japanese PSN store update, usually?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Real hurthling! posted:

The ps2 Game disc costs 50 according to google so if 11 is too much idk

Scarcity is not a factor in digital pricing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dross posted:

Scarcity is not a factor in digital pricing

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

When does the Japanese PSN store update, usually?

edit:
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays in Japan,

Or Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at around late afternoon/evening Pacific time zone. I don't know the exact time when new stuff pops up.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 21, 2016

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Okay?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I said it before but I played DC2 back in the day and it seemed cool but I gave up on it eventually because I could not figure out how to up my defense. Like everything so did seemed to up my attack and eventually I was really overpowered in terms of attack but I also couldn't do a thing about normal enemy attacks and was dying in like 1-3 hits. It just got aggravating after awhile. It was unfortunate because I was enjoying it. Maybe when this version ends up being like $3 I'll give it another go.

Dark Cloud 2 has a lot of weird stuff going on, such as the only way of boosting your Health/Defense being finding VERY small chests periodically in the future that show up when you fulfill each georama objective. You have to be careful though, as some objectives will unlock a chest in the same location as a previous one, overwriting it and preventing you from getting that chest ever again. Even if you do mess up that way I dont think you can miss out on too much, but if you say, dont know about the chests and dont go methodically searching for them all the time, you will run into the issue you did. I know because I did the same thing :). I ended up using the robot almost exclusively the first time through since it upgrades in a much more obvious way.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Are these still going for ridiculous prices? Maybe I should sell mine, that's nuts.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
No, it doesn't counter your statement, but it is a pretty amusing exception. And I like jokes. :v:

And yes, you're right. Selling game licenses through the PSN Store involves almost no overhead, so using a high price on a second-hand disc as justification for digital pricing is a flawed argument. The only thing that really matters is at what price point they'll make the best profit (i.e. what consumers are willing to pay). If folks don't buy a product, the price will (theoretically) go down until it is accepted by consumers.

tl;dr - If you think it's overpriced, just wait until the cost drops to a reasonable price.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Medium Cool posted:

Are these still going for ridiculous prices? Maybe I should sell mine, that's nuts.

Your whole PSN account goes with it since they can't play it unless they're logged in as you now, IIRC.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MisterAlex posted:

And yes, you're right. Selling game licenses through the PSN Store involves almost no overhead, so using a high price on a second-hand disc as justification for digital pricing is a flawed argument. The only thing that really matters is at what price point they'll make the best profit (i.e. what consumers are willing to pay). If folks don't buy a product, the price will (theoretically) go down until it is accepted by consumers.

the only thing that matters is how much it costs to obtain and play dark cloud 2 and your choices atm are 50 or 11 dollars, nerd

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Japan store:

Demos of Crypt of the NecroDancer are already available there, along with the full versions:
PS4 demo
Vita demo
I'll check it out later. Screenshots show a mix of English and Japanese.

EU store:

BIG ADVENTURE BIG SAVINGS sale has started and will last until 3 February. Notable items on sale include Bloodborne: The Old Hunters, all or almost all of the Final Fantasy games, both Sword Art Online games, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls stuff, and Tales of games.

Another round of Digital Discounts are also up. This sale will also last until 3 February.

List of all games on sale and prices, thanks to PSPrices. Current sales marked with "Jan. 20" last update date:
UK store prices
Euro prices, from Ireland store
Australia store prices

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 21, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, is there any work around for PSN just suddenly deciding it doesn't like your card? I don't mind using PayPal, it all comes from the same account anyway, it's just annoying because it should loving work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

So, is there any work around for PSN just suddenly deciding it doesn't like your card? I don't mind using PayPal, it all comes from the same account anyway, it's just annoying because it should loving work.

Try funding your wallet through a console and see if that works.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yechezkel posted:

Japan store:

Demos of Crypt of the NecroDancer are already available there, along with the full versions:
PS4 demo
Vita demo
I'll check it out later. Screenshots show a mix of English and Japanese.

Wait the full version is out for Crypt in Japan?! Was it known it was releasing earlier there? Also trip report on the understandability of the Japanese demo for this dirty gaijin.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theres not much text in the game at all so i wouldnt worry too much about that

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am going to assume that the game is missing the best part which is the ability to import your own songs to play to?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Wait the full version is out for Crypt in Japan?! Was it known it was releasing earlier there? Also trip report on the understandability of the Japanese demo for this dirty gaijin.

I can confirm it's all in English if the system is set to that. Here is my horrible playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7IrBCnY_lg

For a game dedicated to matching rhythm, the first song is awful.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

drat dude, attack the blue slimes from the side

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

Last time it happened to me I bought codes off of amazon to use instead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dang, a 50% sale of Tales of Zesty sounds sweet.

Wonder if the US will get one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Paypal will also not work if it's throwing you bogus "there's been an error with your payment" errors. The last two times it happened to me, the only working solution was to buy a PSN code off Amazon to add to the wallet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Paypal will also not work if it's throwing you bogus "there's been an error with your payment" errors. The last two times it happened to me, the only working solution was to buy a PSN code off Amazon to add to the wallet.

Nah, PayPal works fine, maybe it's because I have my bank account connected directly to that rather than just through the card.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is Dark Cloud 2 enhanced in any way, or is it exactly the same just emulated well on PS4?

Also:
HEY SQUARE/ENIX I WILL SPEND £19.99 TO GET DRAGON QUEST 8 IF YOU CAN GET IT TO WORK ON PS4.

Now a functionality question. I have a PSP that can't get on to my home's wifi. Is there any non-piratey way of buying Breath of Fire III at this great price and getting it on to the PSP?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 21, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BadAstronaut posted:

Is Dark Cloud 2 enhanced in any way, or is it exactly the same just emulated well on PS4?

Also:
HEY SQUARE/ENIX I WILL SPEND £19.99 TO GET DRAGON QUEST 8 IF YOU CAN GET IT TO WORK ON PS4.

Now a functionality question. I have a PSP that can't get on to my home's wifi. Is there any non-piratey way of buying Breath of Fire III at this great price and getting it on to the PSP?

Can't you download the game on the PS3, then hook up your PSP to your PS3 using the USB cable, then move the downloaded file from the PS3 to the PSP?

That's how I got Def Jam: Fight for NY: The Takeover onto my Vita.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Even though this is a PSP game and not a PSX game? I can do as you described for, say, Final Fantasy IX which was the PSX game that ran on both PS3 and PSP.

Also, when the hell are my old PSX purchases gonna be playable on the PS4...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BadAstronaut posted:

Also:

Media Go, if you use Windows.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, PayPal works fine, maybe it's because I have my bank account connected directly to that rather than just through the card.

Huh, okay, that's good to know. I'm surprised it fucks up the card processing part specifically, even when pulling from Paypal.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Media Go, if you use Windows.

Never heard of this and downloading now - thank you :)

Will there be any complications because I am running custom firmware for homebrew and emulation on my PSP?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BadAstronaut posted:

Also:

I think all the PS2 games run at 1080p60fps but otherwise they're exactly the same.

DQ8 is coming out on 3DS later this year so they might decide to compliment that with the PS2 version on PS4. Or they might decide they don't want it to eat in to the sales of what would be a full price release.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Also:

It's supposedly 1080p (up-rendered), but I've noticed framerate stuttering sometimes and it doesn't feel like 60 fps, but I can live with that. It also has trophy support and your everyday Remote Play support, otherwise it's the same game.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 21, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BadAstronaut posted:

Never heard of this and downloading now - thank you :)

Will there be any complications because I am running custom firmware for homebrew and emulation on my PSP?

Historically there haven't been.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BadAstronaut posted:

Even though this is a PSP game and not a PSX game? I can do as you described for, say, Final Fantasy IX which was the PSX game that ran on both PS3 and PSP.

Also, when the hell are my old PSX purchases gonna be playable on the PS4...

Def Jam: Fight For NY: The Takeover is also a PSP game.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Historically there haven't been.

Getting some error... this likely won't remove anything from my memory stick, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BadAstronaut posted:

Getting some error... this likely won't remove anything from my memory stick, right?

I don't know, back it up first.

You can only use one account at a time with handheld PlayStations. If you're sure they're the same account then your CFW sucks.

• Locked thread