Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

paradoxGentleman posted:

A good rule of thumb is that eldritch enemies look gross.

Yeah but what's funny is that Corpse Eaters are beasts but look pretty tentaclly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Played the crap out of this game early in the early access period (125 weeks in the hamlet). Came back a couple days ago to get ready for release. Love the heart attacks, more stress, and anti-stun mechanics. Didn't enjoy the corpses. So I turned them off when I started fresh yesterday. I guess this makes me lazy and stupid, but I knew that already.

In any event, it seems like a dumb thing to get worked up about, since it's a toggle.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
there are some legit troubled people in the world

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

S.J. posted:

And you can see what categories an enemy is when you mouse over them. Some of them have multiple types as well.

Amusingly the Hag's Cauldron is enemy type "Crockery".

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a partial list of the backer heroes. Some of them come without skills because of time constraints I guess? Expect those to be filled in via hotfixes.

What you should do is go to the stagecoach, press ENTER and type dirty little things about yourself like "Jay Bauman loves me" or "I like to smell my cat's breath". You can also type the name of a hero and they'll spawn in your stagecoach. I believe you can do this more than once, but there is an upper limit. It's nice for getting that one punkass character class that never loving shows up no matter what.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gabriel Pope posted:

First two DD missions down. The third one is listed as "exhausting" length and gives you 4 camps :stare:

EDIT: my remaining champions are Abomination, Houndmaster, Bounty Hunter, Plague Doc, Vestal, Jester, and Leper. Godspeed, you poor doomed assholes.

I threw in Leper/Houndmaster/Jester/Vestal with a bag of crappy expendable trinkets expecting them to be a suicide scouting team and they somehow managed to pull through.

There is a fourth mission :supaburn:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Darkest Dungeon has more than one "final" mission? I assumed it was just a one and done exploration--literally one long mission to the bitter end.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh my god game give me a loving vestal

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Did they change the trophy rewards at some point? I can't seem to get any deeds (not much luck getting Weald missions to spawn). I don't remember that being such an issue before, but could just be RNG.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

the heirlooms? um, depends. was the last time you played before the cove got released? when there were only 3 dungeons, each mission gave 2 types of heirlooms. now that there are 4 (sans the dd), the rewards got changed and now each dungeon has its own signature heirloom (though you can still find others inside curios)

That's it, thanks.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 20, 2016

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the heirlooms? um, depends. was the last time you played before the cove got released? when there were only 3 dungeons, each mission gave 2 types of heirlooms. now that there are 4 (sans the dd), the rewards got changed and now each dungeon has its own signature heirloom (though you can still find others inside curios)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If a character gets too high a level will they refuse to go to lower level dungeons? I hated that in EA even if I begrudgingly understand why they did it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That's still a thing but you can change it with a game file hack.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

oh my god game give me a loving vestal

The final stagecoach upgrade should really be a Request slot which lets you guarantee what class one of next week's recruits will be.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Red Mundus posted:

If a character gets too high a level will they refuse to go to lower level dungeons? I hated that in EA even if I begrudgingly understand why they did it.
yeah that's still there, but you can mod it out if you want. achievements will still work if you care about that, but the game will also be significantly easier (though i guess this is slightly balanced by the fact that you'll occasionally need to spend a ton of money to cure high-level quirks while earning only low-level rewards).

go into DarkestDungeon/campaign/quest and open quest.json with a text editor. at the bottom you'll see this:

code:
"restriction": {
		"difficulty": {
			"comment": "This table restricts what level heroes can go on what level quest. ROWS are DIFFICULTY, COLs are QUEST LENGTH",
			"resolve_level_threshold_table": [
			]
		}
	}
just change all those to 99

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Coolguye posted:

That's still a thing but you can change it with a game file hack.

It seems like a really good game element at pressuring the player to get the resources they actually need now that we know you legitimately can't beat the game without multiple full teams at level 6

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UberJew posted:

It seems like a really good game element at pressuring the player to get the resources they actually need now that we know you legitimately can't beat the game without multiple full teams at level 6

Counterpoint: this game is a toy

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So now that Darkest Dungeon is out of EA I decided to pick it up last night, it's been on my radar for a while now...aaaaand it absolutely refused to run at all. Attempting to play it resulted in it immediately crashing, no exceptions. I checked their Steam hub and apparently I'm not the only one this is happening to, but none of the suggested fixes (forcing my video card, using the task manager to close some audio program I don't even have, etc) seemed to fix things. Has anyone else had this issue since the game left EA?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I guess this makes me lazy and stupid, but I knew that already.

In any event, it seems like a dumb thing to get worked up about, since it's a toggle.

It doesn't make you lazy, you just aren't playing a good version of the game. If you want your back-rank abilities/strikers to suck, okay I guess.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Played the crap out of this game early in the early access period (125 weeks in the hamlet). Came back a couple days ago to get ready for release. Love the heart attacks, more stress, and anti-stun mechanics. Didn't enjoy the corpses. So I turned them off when I started fresh yesterday. I guess this makes me lazy and stupid, but I knew that already.

I think they handled stuff like people wanting a loss state in the best possible way by making them all options. Now everyone has what they want.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Kai Tave posted:

So now that Darkest Dungeon is out of EA I decided to pick it up last night, it's been on my radar for a while now...aaaaand it absolutely refused to run at all. Attempting to play it resulted in it immediately crashing, no exceptions. I checked their Steam hub and apparently I'm not the only one this is happening to, but none of the suggested fixes (forcing my video card, using the task manager to close some audio program I don't even have, etc) seemed to fix things. Has anyone else had this issue since the game left EA?

No, these issues just came up on release. They're trying to get a hotfix out asap to resolve crashes and stuttering issues.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Night10194 posted:

I think they handled stuff like people wanting a loss state in the best possible way by making them all options. Now everyone has what they want.

Wait, what loss state? Stuff like corpses aren't a loss state. Is there a new option there wasn't before?

Are you thinking about new game+?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Doctor Schnabel posted:

yeah that's still there, but you can mod it out if you want. achievements will still work if you care about that, but the game will also be significantly easier (though i guess this is slightly balanced by the fact that you'll occasionally need to spend a ton of money to cure high-level quirks while earning only low-level rewards).

go into DarkestDungeon/campaign/quest and open quest.json with a text editor. at the bottom you'll see this:

code:
"restriction": {
		"difficulty": {
			"comment": "This table restricts what level heroes can go on what level quest. ROWS are DIFFICULTY, COLs are QUEST LENGTH",
			"resolve_level_threshold_table": [
			]
		}
	}
just change all those to 99

Cool, thanks! The main reason I like it is that I use it to grab a bunch of resources and stuff when needed. I know I can go grab them in harder dungeons but it's nice to do a smash and grab every once and awhile when short on a specific heirloom and what not.

I'm not changing it yet though, so far this is much better than ea (no poo poo, lol!). Rewards come fast and cheap and even leaving a dungeon early and failing can get you a poo poo-tonne of money and resources.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like battlefield bandage should cure bleed.

i often use bandages to cure bleed irl

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

i feel like battlefield bandage should cure bleed.

i often use bandages to cure bleed irl

Same.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Red Mundus posted:

Cool, thanks! The main reason I like it is that I use it to grab a bunch of resources and stuff when needed. I know I can go grab them in harder dungeons but it's nice to do a smash and grab every once and awhile when short on a specific heirloom and what not.

I'm not changing it yet though, so far this is much better than ea (no poo poo, lol!). Rewards come fast and cheap and even leaving a dungeon early and failing can get you a poo poo-tonne of money and resources.
no problemo!

i haven't made the switch myself, but i get where you're coming from. i've had a couple of super annoying instances where i outleveled a boss and couldn't raise up a new crew without firing dudes, or had a nice trinket spawn in a dungeon i couldn't access.

just be aware that one of the bothersome things about a level agnostic game is that it becomes theoretically possible to get all the way up to level 6 while doing nothing but newbie dungeons. you can counteract that by making level requirements (and xp rewards) scale exponentially. so for example, you might mod the game to require your guys to get 10xp to get to level 1 and have newbie dungeons give 2xp a pop, while making level 5 need 1000 xp, and have hard dungeons give 200xp a pop.

that should be doable with only a couple of file edits, so consider looking into that if you find yourself getting distracted by the low-level stuff.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 20, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Level 3 Cannon is awful. First two levels are easy since the fuseman is so squishy, but at level 3 he can actually dodge like everything else. So eventually, he's gonna survive a turn, and then everyone gets put into death's row. And then the brigand gunmen gets the first move and welp :negative:

What's a good team to cheese that boss? Its honestly the only one I hate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The final mission is literally a Final Fantasy boss

Very minor tactical spoiler if you want the bare minimum preparation to avoid getting totally punked: a pull or shuffle is almost mandatory

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Abomination would be so much better if three of the best classes didn't refuse to join him. C'est la vie...

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Speedball posted:

The Abomination would be so much better if three of the best classes didn't refuse to join him. C'est la vie...

Yeah, I get where they're coming from with that character but I've had to make some really stupid party choices to fit him in. Like, "highwayman at the front of the party"-level of choices at times. I'm surprised the leper doesn't want to be with him.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I tried to start a new campaign last night and was greeted by an endless load screen. I had been playing the game fine for months.

The launch hosed up some stuff that was working fine and the game's performance got much-much worse throughout the early access period. It stutters like crazy.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, I get where they're coming from with that character but I've had to make some really stupid party choices to fit him in. Like, "highwayman at the front of the party"-level of choices at times. I'm surprised the leper doesn't want to be with him.

Apparently they're of a rather pious background and the one in the comic used to be a king. As for the other non-comic lepers, I guess even a leper needs to have someone to look down on?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, Darkest Dungeon crashes a lot on loading the dungeon for me. I'll Embark, tab out to wait for the load, then tab back in and press a key and it crashes immediately. Happened three times in the past 4 or so hours of playing. At least it only puts me back to before Embarking so it doesn't cost me anything.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Quicksilver6 posted:

Apparently they're of a rather pious background and the one in the comic used to be a king. As for the other non-comic lepers, I guess even a leper needs to have someone to look down on?

The Leper is embarrassed at how badly the Abomination outclasses him in every respect.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The Level 3 Cannon is awful. First two levels are easy since the fuseman is so squishy, but at level 3 he can actually dodge like everything else. So eventually, he's gonna survive a turn, and then everyone gets put into death's row. And then the brigand gunmen gets the first move and welp :negative:

What's a good team to cheese that boss? Its honestly the only one I hate.

I haven't done the final version yet but assuming you get ahead in the damage race it's an incredibly low-damage fight so maybe just bring a ton of high-damage guys and hope you get to the boss in alright shape. Something like Arbalest, Grave Robber, Houndmaster, Crusader, with accuracy/speed trinkets for the middle two, give the Crusader/Arbalest their heal skills and Crusader/Houndmaster their stress heals for managing the dungeon, then at the boss put Crusader on front-rank duty and the other three on killing the fuse guy then mop-up duty if he's dead before their turn. Bonus great Mark synergy.

Killed my first level 5 boss earlier, Necromancer was surprisingly easy. Had a Grave Robber and Houndmaster with the food buff plinking away at him for 40 - 60 damage a turn after marking him, while my Vestal with both the +33% heal class trinket and +30% heal Collector trinket easily nullified any damage it could put out. My Crusader in front didn't contribute too much to that fight though he did a good job thinning the herd of skeletons in front to reduce damage slightly I guess.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Normal Adult Human posted:

Counterpoint: this game is a toy

:shrug: having an incentive to play the game in a way that will prepare you to win it and that works against player's natural behavior that might end up being counterproductive and boring (grinding low level missions with high level characters) is good game design

Rlazgoth
Oct 10, 2003
I attack people at random.
I got this game in December and played for a few hours, long enough to get to the second tier of dungeon difficulty. Now that the game is released, will I be missing anything by continuing to play that save, or would it be better to start a fresh new game?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even in human form the Abomination has some pretty drat good skills. A toxic belch, a stunning chain that does decent damage and a self-heal that also de-stresses him. If the game were geared around solo character runs, he could theoretically do it.

Hmm... an all-abomination run...

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Rlazgoth posted:

I got this game in December and played for a few hours, long enough to get to the second tier of dungeon difficulty. Now that the game is released, will I be missing anything by continuing to play that save, or would it be better to start a fresh new game?

You should be fine.

Speedball posted:

Even in human form the Abomination has some pretty drat good skills. A toxic belch, a stunning chain that does decent damage and a self-heal that also de-stresses him. If the game were geared around solo character runs, he could theoretically do it.

Hmm... an all-abomination run...

You gotta remember though, his selection of party members is hindered a fair bit. Granted, the occultist is still a very viable healer, and a hellion/man-at-arms will certainly suffice for being the front guys. I'd also think that an all-abomination run would end up leading to a lot of stress really quickly, but then again I don't know how abominations interact with other abominations for causing stress.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rlazgoth posted:

I believe at this point, the only thing people playing old saves miss out on is the unique trinket rewards for beating the top tier difficulty bosses. Since you haven't fought any of those yet, you won't miss out on them.

Rayjenkins posted:

I'd also think that an all-abomination run would end up leading to a lot of stress really quickly, but then again I don't know how abominations interact with other abominations for causing stress.

I'm pretty sure multiple Abominations stress each other out just like any other party member. Maybe they don't like seeing how it looks from the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mzbundifund posted:

I believe at this point, the only thing people playing old saves miss out on is the unique trinket rewards for beating the top tier difficulty bosses. Since you haven't fought any of those yet, you won't miss out on them.

I'm pretty sure multiple Abominations stress each other out just like any other party member. Maybe they don't like seeing how it looks from the outside.

Yeah, abominations stress each other out. I did a 4 person abom run a couple weeks ago and my strategy was to basically have the abomination closest to breaking or death sit in the back and absolve themselves, the middle two stay human and do their thing, and then the one in rank 1 transform and try and tear things apart. Pretty much after every round of the combat, the one closest to breaking was the one that transformed. I only did a short map, so I'm not sure how feasible it is on longer runs, but mostly I thought the run was boring and uninteresting, and takes longer than basically any other balanced group out there.