Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Also the duchess side story is certifiably insane and I love it. It's cool that this game presents story-changing quest options that aren't just a dialogue tree, it's all about presenting a situation to you and allowing you to just play a certain way which affects outcomes. It's fairly slick.

I like how if you're a woman for that quest, they change like two lines and the prison guard has a one liner about having a cup of tea with the duchess. But otherwise nothing anyone says makes sense lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Assassin gets a skill that makes you powerful if you are alone.
I never used that because I felt like it wouldn’t make up for lacking three other party members. Also because I love my pawns and would be lonely without them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I never used that because I felt like it wouldn’t make up for lacking three other party members. Also because I love my pawns and would be lonely without them.
It's useful for killing the giant optional superboss with a high-strength Assassin and a pair of holy daggers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget all the super powerful buffs that only work at night.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's useful for killing the giant optional superboss with a high-strength Assassin and a pair of holy daggers.
that makes sense, fighting the later bosses I just felt like I was kind of running around aimlessly chipping away at their health and getting thrown around

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

It's so simple to jump around that I think I'll probably play every class at some point. Except maybe the standard fighter, the standard sword and board in the very opening section wasn't really grabbing me

don't sleep on fighter, later in the vocation it gets some great stuff

i rarely use the shield though so i will probably eventually switch to bow/sword assassin which is definitely good times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I like how if you're a woman for that quest, they change like two lines and the prison guard has a one liner about having a cup of tea with the duchess. But otherwise nothing anyone says makes sense lol

Lol I was wondering how they would handle that. Awesome

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

FactsAreUseless posted:

Assassin gets a skill that makes you powerful if you are alone.

is that an augment or a core skill? if its an aug i'm respeccing right now

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

klapman posted:

I don't remember offhand. I played a few years ago.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

klapman posted:

It's an augment but it's fairly bad in Dark Arisen iirc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When fighting big monsters I feel like I'm doing 90% of the work but most of the time the pawns are cool to have around and I will always have at least one on hand for magic buffs.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Evil Eagle posted:

It's an augment but it's fairly bad in Dark Arisen iirc.

I had a look at the wiki and it looks like its 20% more strength, with another one that gives you 20% more than that at night. It's kinda balls but my strength is so high now that 40% more is like 700 more points so i'm gonna go for it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

When fighting big monsters I feel like I'm doing 90% of the work but most of the time the pawns are cool to have around and I will always have at least one on hand for magic buffs.
Having the fire weapon enchantment on a pawn is super useful.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i haven't played the whole game, but pawns seem useful for drawing fire from enemies in addition to buffs. i liked having two beefy warrior pawns, a mage, and then my ranger.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Double sorc pawns do a shitload of damage, Rangers can do good damage, fighter/warrior pawns are kind of worthless imo. Depends on what you're playing. Typically if something is a climbing on a big monster the monster deals with that rather than ground targets so if you're playing any rogue variant typically you're climbing on the monster and pawns can shoot it pretty safely, or alternately you can have a pawn hop on while you magic archer it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

When I was dealing with the shop merchants in town my pawns collectively decided to jump into the big fountain in the center and steal all the change people had thrown in.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

When I was dealing with the shop merchants in town my pawns collectively decided to jump into the big fountain in the center and steal all the change people had thrown in.

Lol

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Madeleine is awesome.

Dec 26, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh! is this your home, Arisen?

*sound of pots, boxes, crates smashing in the next room over*

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

Madeleine is awesome.

She's my bae

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
bitterblack isle is fuckin sick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can save that for post game and not be overleveled, right?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

idk im level 28 and i can handle most of the enemies fine but i went too deep and found a giant cyclops chained to the wall and all my pawns were like dude... let's get out of here bro and i got one shot by a mega harpy that dive bombed me. so i don't know basically.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I can save that for post game and not be overleveled, right?

Yeah you'll be fine. The first tier will be kind of easy but there are 2 more, then all 3 tiers get new enemies once you beat the final boss on tier 3.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

i went to the bitterblack isle at like level 3 and watched my entire party get exploded by a dog. it was awesome

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Theres lots of people posting about playing the PC version but there pawns don't show up in the rift. What gives

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's pretty hard to get too far past the first goreclops room if you're too low level but don't worry about being over leveled everything just gets crazier and crazier the deeper you go.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like to go to bitterblack at the start of the game to grab the ring that gives you 50% more discipline points so I can wear that from the beginning.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol..."Goreclops". This game is so badass.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Theres lots of people posting about playing the PC version but there pawns don't show up in the rift. What gives

You have to specifically summon them in with the search function, it doesn't really autopopulate from friends list.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

net cafe scandal posted:

make sure youre playing online, it defaulted to off for me and i had to go back and change it

you can also just send away pawns in the rift and more will walk out. i think you can also look at a list of all your friends pawns but i haven't messed around with it too much

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh ok. ty.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

klapman posted:

It's an augment but it got super nerfed in Dark Arisen. Not worth it anymore.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

for a few of my friends, even using the "friends" search function didn't work and I had to search by level for their pawn and then once I found it in the list it would show up in my friends searches. whats your pawns name, mine is Babylon a few people have used her but I don't know who anyone is by steam name reallyt

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

I like to go to bitterblack at the start of the game to grab the ring that gives you 50% more discipline points so I can wear that from the beginning.

Where's that. I maxed fighter and want to swap to warrior, strider, and assassin for sweet augments. Also does it make you rank vocation faster too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

His pawn is named Stace. I've seen it pop up before, a nearly nude female Strider.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Where's that. I maxed fighter and want to swap to warrior, strider, and assassin for sweet augments.

It's the new area they added for Dark Arisen. You can get there from the docks in the starting town at night.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

most of my party is very small but I have a giant naked grandpa sorcerer pawn and its so incredible having the grandpa warn my party about harpies carrying them off, and then watch as mid-sentence both my tank and ranger just get carried away screaming and angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well I'm peacing out from this thread since it looks like it's about to become Dark Souls style.

• Locked thread